These Nintendo Illustrations to Highlight The Wii U Difference are Just Too Good

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Hardware advertising, Japanese style

It's little secret that Nintendo will be aiming to up its game, in territories all around the world, in selling the Wii U concept to the masses. We expect that these marketing efforts will retain the hallmark style for which Nintendo is famous — in other words, there'll probably be plenty of light-hearted, humorous campaigns.

That certainly seems to be the case in Japan, where a fresh web page highlighting Wii U features includes some rather awesome pieces of artwork. They show off-TV play, the GamePad as a web-browsing device, various TV options and, an old favourite in Japan, how the GamePad can make karaoke more fun.

Check them out below — we think these could be the most fun homes ever.

[via nintendoeverything.com, twitter.com, nintendo.co.jp]

Haywired

Haywired said:

Nice! This is like stuff they used to do in the old days. I remember a comic strip in an old Nintendo mag with Mario and Luigi to illustrate the Game Boy Link Cable.

Datasun_7

Datasun_7 said:

Seeing yoshi sing, has made me picture him singing street spirit (fade out). I think I'm satisfied now.

MJKOP

MJKOP said:

Great stuff. No word on the latest Japanese software/hardware charts?

Williaint

Williaint said:

I love this 'art-style' for Mario. It's so reminiscent of Super Mario World, and the matte-characters are very appealing.
Is Princess Toadstool/Peach baking another cake?

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

My all time favorite Mario artwork! Nothing can beat this classic art style for Mario. So clean, attractive and charm.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

I really love how since 3D World the artwork of Mario has reverted to a style similar to the classics.

HylianJowiStaff

HylianJowi said:

It's nice to see the old style of Mario art make a return. These are so cute! ^_^

Goginho

Goginho said:

I love it I love it I love :D
I really love these simple, oldschool 2D, no lighting / shades Super Mario artwork. This is the Mario I got to know and love. I used to draw these countless of times :) hihi

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

At least the super-fanboys will get two systems now.Gotta have one in the kitchen for these thousands of Wii U cooking apps.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

Actually, the old-style Mario art has been around for a while now.
Love the artwork. Looks like they'll continue to use the art style. Nice . :)

Falkor

Falkor said:

At the risk of sounding stupid, am I missing something with the cooking apps on Wii U? I'm in North America and haven't seen any on the eshop, unless I'm overlooking them.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Falkor Im guessing that's the internet browser aspect TW mentioned in the article. My Gamepad loses its connection about 5' from the kitchen though :-( Really think the Gamepad should have had a Wifi connection for internet, Netflix , eShop (the games DL to the console, not the controller so distance doesnt matter) and last but not least Miiverse.

nik1470

nik1470 said:

Yes Nintendo that's how you sell consoles with your strong IP's not celebrities!

mcusc5435

mcusc5435 said:

@Falkor There are not any cooking apps that I know of but this could possibly represent using the Wii U Browser to look up recipes

This artwork is quite awesome... I wish I could get these in poster-form!

dumedum

dumedum said:

@rjejr if it used wi fii instead of what it is using now, it would be laggy. Like the PS Vita and the PS4 which is extremely laggy. Probably the internet browsing would suck and not like now.

Memeboy3

Memeboy3 said:

Oh Yeah!
80's - 90's Nintendo Japan is coming Back with Dem Drawings!!
All they Need to do is Spam this Ad of the Wii U and the Sales will keep Movin'
Now you're playing with Power! 8D

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I love it; it really helps bring a smile to your face, especially the ones with Bowser and Kamek browsing Youtube and Yoshi singing karaoke.

Mask0Gears

Mask0Gears said:

Ha ha, that's pretty cool.

I love the first one. My first thought was: If Mario's the Dad I guess.. Toad is the Kid, and Peach is the Mom.. that makes Luigi the free-loading brother. XD

Yellowgerbil

Yellowgerbil said:

I couldn't help but smile at the third one, Bowser seems so happy and friendly and Kamek seems to be rather befuddled and concentrating hard. I hope we can get a 2D Mario with this art style, it could really brighten up the series if they did a game like this!

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

The third image is a reminder that the Nico Nico Douga app released in japan only despite Dwango themselves making the site intonational.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

This is pretty awesome!

I love this art style for Mario. I'm glad they've been using is recently.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Why doesn't Nintendo use its characters as marketing tools to advertise their systems like this more often? Instead of showing generic lame families with the Wii U, show us unique animated commercials of how the Mario crew uses the system. I just feel like they could be far more creative than they have been.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

i love this keep doing this nintendo, and am i the only one that thinks that mario and bowser are friends and they are just a big happy family cause of these pics.

Shirma_Akayaku

Shirma_Akayaku said:

Strange how Nintendo's been pushing Rosalina into the spotlight, yet they don't use her in these illustrations.

BAGBOY

BAGBOY said:

@Rosalina It's because they're appealing to classic 90's mario here, so, no Rosalina.

Having said that, this is the best publicity I've seen in a LONG time, Nintendo of Japan really did a wonderful work with these illustrations, they're simply beautiful and clearly do the right thing explaining the wii u's gamepad functionality.

BAGBOY

BAGBOY said:

@Emaan I fully agree, this appeals not only to us pure gamers, but also kids, teenagers and adults would find it pretty cool. Lame family publicity is the worst gaming publicity, glad that at least nintendo of japan is becoming aware of that.

2Sang

2Sang said:

To be fair to nintendo, it's hard to convey the message of the wii u with off-screen functionality, which I would say is the only worthwhile function of the gamepad, but man is it an awesome feature. I hope they make a version of the gamepad for future gens that's lighter, has a better battery life, and is used more.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

I hope Nintendo knows how much we love old style artwork of Mario and the gang. Maybe it will continue! Good clean fun

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

we did that first image in college. i'd relax in my room on the bed playing, and people would come watch in the next room over where the wii u was

rjejr

rjejr said:

@dumedum - " Probably the internet browsing would suck and not like now."

How laggy would i have to be for Miiverse not to work? My Samsung 7" Tab with a much hire screen resolution can stream Youtube over wi-fi just fine. I know games would be laggy over wi-fi, I understand that, but everything else should be fine. The 3DS can stream Netflix over wi-fi, w/o any special connection required.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@Emaan
I can see it now, Mario and the gang gathered around the couch playing Mario Kart or something.:D

I really wish they'd do commercials like back in the day again, I still remember the old Pokemon and Smash Bros. ones. They don't need to be retrotastically cheesy or anything, but a throwback to the old ones would certainly strike a cord with older fans.

Artwark

Artwark said:

The artwork reminds me of how NES and SNES were advertised.... And that's just awesome!!!!!!! :D

erv

erv said:

I don't like their try to appeal as a multimedia hub. Try and be the games specialist, not the generic platform everybody seems to try to be.

Pod

Pod said:

I'm really happy with the GamePad for a number of reasons. It's great for doing pastel paintings in Art Academy, and it's the handheld that wouldn't be allowed to exist if it had to be an actual handheld.

My sole minor gripe is the lack of space for your surplus fingers on the back of it. Which is understandable, as you can't just poke them through the screen, but gripping it isn't entirely as comfy as one might wish for.

Mahe

Mahe said:

This is pathetic. Nintendo trying to advertise the failed Gamepad and its poor features with old-school Mario. It won't convince anyone.

Marshi

Marshi said:

@GamerOZO They will be. However they will replace mario and co with some z list celebrity no ones heard of to make lame attempts at pretending to be interested and invested in the wiiu... Yay britania! :-/

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

"It's little secret that Nintendo will be aiming to up its game, in territories all around the world, in selling the Wii U concept to the masses."

I thought they were supposed to do that last year (in which they failed miserably). I don't know, maybe because I got spoiled with the Wii's success but I don't Nintendo is doing enough with the Wii U. Perhaps it's the growing pains of their first HD console.

Shirma_Akayaku

Shirma_Akayaku said:

@BAGBOY Well I know that this is classic 90's Mario here, but they've also made Rosalina in that art form. That's why I was considering Rosalina. It's just a little strange.
This is what I thought of:
Untitled
Untitled

ZeroZX_Dev

ZeroZX_Dev said:

@Mahe Opinions broham. Shockingly enough, you seem to be apart of a very vocal minority who actually hates the GamePad. So yeah, not everyone hates it, so market it. Though I am curious, why do you dislike it?