Flappy Bird is Now Playable on the DSi and 3DS With Petit Computer

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

A fowl state of affairs

Flappy Bird has been everywhere, a bizarrely simplistic, flawed smart device game that went viral; it's unavoidable. Millions of people with phones play it compulsively on their morning commute, media outlets from games press to mainstream newspapers and TV channels have been talking about it, and its success upset its creator to the point that he threw away easy money by taking it off the iOS and Android stores.

Nintendo's even had to weigh in, recently stating that it had not lodged any legal complaint over the Mario-style green pipes. It's not as if the removal of the official title has stopped the relentless march of maddeningly obsessive and primitive games, with clones flooding the smart device markets; there's also the insanity of people selling phones with the game installed for actual money. No doubt it has some appeal for those looking to pass some time, but the reaction to it has been surprising in its scope.

It seems plenty are desperate for a fix, and it's now possible to play the game on a 3DS or DSi. Some buzz on Twitter has pointed us to the QR codes for Flappy Bird - PTC Edition, which works using Petit Computer, the DSiWare app also available on the 3DS eShop. It utilises the BASIC coding of the app to clone the title, but unlike those replicas flooding iOS and Android this iteration won't make its creator any ad-driven profit. It's just for the fun gimmick of playing the downloadable phenomenon on your Nintendo handheld.

Flappy Bird may officially be gone, but its peculiar legacy continues to fly.

[via petitcomputer.wikia.com]

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Yeah, the game is so easy to make that it was replicated in Petit Computer in this short period of time. Hell, even I can program my Flappy Bird.

Thats-what-shy

Thats-what-shy said:

The developer abandoned this game due to its success....

Bull. I don't buy it. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. There's obviously more to this story.

123akis

123akis said:

nice! gave never heard of petit computer, will buy it! they should do a 3ds version :)

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

Sooner or later it had to happen. Any news on the new Petit Computer that's supposed to be out for the 3DS? I haven't heard any news in months...

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@Thats-what-she He himself stated that the game doesn't deserve this mass of popularity at all, and that he didn't want to be reduced to 'the creator of Flappy Bird'.
I can understand him, since this can hurt your reputation as a game developer more than it helps. People would rate his other games higher just because of Flappy Bird, and many wouldn't accept him doing better or even other games than this primitive time-waster.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

I got it on my tablet just in case I wanted to play it and I don't have petit computer so this is a no go for me.

Alpha2797

Alpha2797 said:

By the way, wasn't there going to be a 3DS version of Petit Computer that was going to release? Or did I miss something?

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Nintendo probably left a koopa trooper's head in the creators bed lol
Cheaper than a lawsuit!

Satlmd

Satlmd said:

I just made an account for the sole reason that I could comment on this! I hope this will attract more people to the Petit Computer community, as there are a multitude of great games already existing, and not just a high-quality copy of Flappy Bird.

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

I don't understand. What is Flappy Bird, and why is everyone apparently obsessed with a new, even simpler iOS flash game from 1990?

NavySpheal

NavySpheal said:

Love all the hate on Flappy Bird. It's just a harmless game that some find addicting. It's like people are calling out others for liking a game they don't.

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

@NavySpheal I know right?

I never played the original game, but if it's anything like this petit computer port I can see why people like it.

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

@NavySpheal There's a difference between liking a simple game and calling it "revolutionary". People talk about it as though it's the pinnacle of gaming, like it's something absolutely extraordinary. Its popularity is harmful to gaming itself. The creator did a good job of removing it before things got much further out of hand.

MC808

MC808 said:

I can't get my 3DS to recognize any of the QR Codes.....
I guess I need Petit installed and running....

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

@Hyperstar96 nobody here is treating this minigame as the "pinnacle of gaming", the only reason this is being featured right now is because the creator randomly decided to take it down after it became his best known game.

In fact, I find the amount of people waiting to bash and trash talk anything related to it just because it's popular very very disturbing.

From what I hear, that's also one of the reasons the creator got sick of it and gave up.

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

@Moorpheel Who said anything about people here? Just look at the reviews for all the clones and Super Ball Juggling (the original creator's other popular game). It will make you cringe and question the value of humanity itself.

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

UUUGGHHHH!!! This game is so freakin annoying! Everyone in my class play this stupid game! T-T

NavySpheal

NavySpheal said:

@Hyperstar96 Those reviews are... um... Pretty crappy. I agree with you there. But it's the players' fault, not the game's fault. I don't think core gaming itself was in peril, but for the most part I agree.

I-I think I need some aspirin after reading those...

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

@NavySpheal I agree completely. The guy who made Flappy Bird is just that: a simple, humble iOS game developer who didn't like the (negative) attention he was getting from something that got much bigger than it should have. The game itself isn't bad, but it should only be seen for what it is. If people think it's one of the best things gaming has to offer, then that speaks volumes about what mobile has been conditioning (for lack of a better word) people to like.

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

I'm almost proud I have no clue what this game is. It sounds so poor, every time I have heard or seen news articles I have just turned away or switched off.

DiSTANToblivion

DiSTANToblivion said:

@Hyperstar96 I agree with everything you've said. It's things like this that give a bad name to gaming, this shouldn't be the acceptable norm. These popular mobile games that get all this attention manipulate consumers into thinking this is the be all and all of gaming and that's very sad.

Windy

Windy said:

That is so cool. I will dust off my petite computer and give this a try. I have no clue how to buse petite computer. I bought it anyway and thought my head would explode trying to use it

Emblem

Emblem said:

Not a fan of the game but I hope PTC gets some sales of this. If people were willing to spen 1000s on phones with it preinstalled I'm sure a few will shell out for a 3DS and PTC.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Ugghh...i cant stand this game anymore -.-
This is the definition of a "Time waster".
By the way, i have nothing against the author of this recreation, i just cant understand why people are hyping stuff like that.
Its not even a "1 button game", its a "touch your device anywhere you want like a monkey" type of game.
According to this, i might have found pictures of the PS5:

Kirk

Kirk said:

It's actually a pretty good game to be honest.

You can also try my Tap To Flap game on Android if you want...

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

@siavm I supposed it was a few months old, but well, we all know whoever programmed this started at most when the game started becoming popular.

SMW

SMW said:

When will the madness end?! Next up some lunatic will start selling unofficial merchandise.

...Wait a minute. A quick Google search reveals that there already ARE fan-made shirts out there. Just shoot me now.

sugarshack

sugarshack said:

I love how people are terribly misinformed on this issue. TRUTH. the developer does not believe this game is any good and shouldn't get the recognition it's been getting thus he took it down. in return moronic people have giving him death threats because of this and there are iPhones on ebay selling for $50000 with software of this game on it. repeat the developer himself says the game sucks. simple as that. research people.

allav866

allav866 said:

I live under a rock and know nothing of this game. It looks like an endless runner where you dodge pipes. It definitely doesn't look all that impressive, so I'm confused as to why it's so popular that it needed a Petit Computer version.

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

@allav866 it needed a petit computer version because our local petit computing friend Bluerobin wanted to make one and that's all the reasons you and everyone else need.

Byron-3D

Byron-3D said:

What is everyone's problem? If you don't like the game don't play it, if you don't agree with the mobile/smartphone game market and the casual gamers it has then move on and open your 3ds and carry on playing your games. Some people are treating it like a religion and will bash anyone that don't beleve the same as they do. If everyone liked the same things then we would live in a very stale world