Video: Prepare To Be Jealous As Nintendo of Europe President Satoru Shibata Shows Off His 3DS Collection

Posted by Damien McFerran

We dread to think how long it takes him to clear his StreetPass hits

You may have noticed that Nintendo UK is running a campaign on YouTube at the moment where 3DS owners talk about what they love the most about their consoles, as well as the games that have entertained them the most.

We've already seen some notable — and not so notable — contributions to the series, but this latest video is the most high-profile yet. It features Nintendo of Europe President Satoru Shibata and his gargantuan selection of 3DS consoles, which includes a pink console signed by Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf, a limited edition gold Zelda system and a shiny new 2DS. Amusingly, at one point in the video Shibata senses the feelings of jealousy no doubt arising in the viewer and insists that "this is my job" — which is fair comment, really.

He tries to temper the feelings of envy by admitting that he's not that good a player, and that his current favourite game is Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney — played on his Japanese 3DS, naturally. The game he's looking forward to playing this Christmas is The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, as Link to the Past is one of his all-time favourite titles.

Check out the utterly charming footage below, and be sure to let Nintendo UK why you love your 3DS console.

[via youtube.com]

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

He says he gets stuck in games like NSMB2, yet he says he plays the likes of Zelda. Personally, I have no trouble with NSMB2, but find Zelda games confusing. Me thinks he's telling porkies.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

And I was thinking I went far enough by owning a 3DS and a 3DS XL...

Compared to Shibata it's like I can't even call myself a real 3DS owner XD

EDIT: On a side note... not want to complain, but... how come they didn't think of allowing more 3DS on the same Nintendo ID while he own so so many consoles? DX

MeddlingIdiotStaff

MeddlingIdiot said:

Nice collection! It's a shame the sound guy doesn't know how to position a lapel mic though...

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

I prefer Shibata to Reggie

Do you see Fils-aime taking one for the team and singing along to 'Call Me Maybe'? No.

Shibata is a legend.

Deadstanley

Deadstanley said:

The thing I love about 3DS (perhaps Nintendo in general) is that it really does take me way back to my childhood. Same excitement, just 25 years later.

King47

King47 said:

No wonder the 3ds is selling so well.
Jokes aside, this guy is pretty awesome.

Heroboss

Heroboss said:

@ledreppe ??? He played ALTP (probably stuck also) but then because that game is so good it becomes his fav of all time, that's all. I don't understand how you can come at conclusion that he was lying based on this simple statement?!

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

That's awesome! Though personally I don;t get the point of owning multiple 3DS systems. I'm happy with my blue 3DS XL. :D

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

What does he say at the beginning ''hello you gay people'' lol oops better work on that english language

''Don't hate me its my job'' lol

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

I'm considering collecting all the LE 3ds' available here in NA, but it's a hard sell to my wife.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I am not jealous, he does not have my awesome Blue Pokémon XL ;)

What about the other two 3DS at the left?

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

His such a cool guy i am glad he rep's the EU. not only is he down to earth but a real gamer you can tell. It must be super handy to speak japanese and english :) because you can play games straight from japan a year before they come to the west.

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

He says he struggles with Super Mario Bros 2. You'd be surprised at how many people there are in actuality that can't handle a simple 2D platformer such as that one. :P

But hey, now we know why the 3DS has sold so well in Japan - Shibata-san bought them all for himself. Haha!

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Meh, I've got more. Between the entire 3DS family (3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS) I currently own 19 systems.

maceng

maceng said:

Meh. I already have 9 3DS systems and looking forward to add the New Leaf version as well as the Fire Emblem one. I just paid 500 bucks for a limited Princess Peach one (that can only play European games, I live in Latin America), for my daughter's 5th birthday (in about 6 months). I have the 3 Pokemon ones (including Pikachu's), Mario and Luigi, a Cosmo black one, a blue 3DS XL, both Zelda systems and a pink 3DS XL. Just waiting for someone to pay a debt to complete my collection with the Japan only Charizard 3DS XL.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

Still would love to own the zelda 3ds (both versions) but I say I will stick with my original back and toad 3ds.

Vallu

Vallu said:

I thought that he was a master in games but oh well, games are more fun when they're challenging so I'm kind of jealous.

Thearnaud44

Thearnaud44 said:

Dat accent LOLOLLOLOL, it's funny because it's different from mine! On a serious note I wonder how will his Wii U collection is!

Windy

Windy said:

This is funny cause I had an issue with a recent system transfer and lost 4 games on my Transfer too system. I called Nintendo and they said that those games on the transfer too system are lost. They asked me why I had decided to transfer my data from my 3DS to my 3DSXL. Reason- I own 2 systems which are both registered in my name. I would be willing to bet this guy doesn't have that problem. You would think it would be as easy as just looking up what I downloaded on my account. But it wasn't those 4 games including MiiPlaza games all of them gone on one of my systems. I'm not jealous but I am mad! It is a good thing the software lost only cost about 25.00 bucks all together.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Windy He won't have any of those issues. Don't see why they cannot just have it like a library that games can be checked out of onto at least one system at a time and as long as it is not checked out to another system you can check it out whenever you want. I am thinking of just paying for Super Mario Bros Deluxe to reduce the probability of it going wrong.

Shambo

Shambo said:

The 3ds is an amazing system. I have 4 of them now, and will sell one, to keep both Zelda editions in the box and play my pikachu one. I have an awesome thin Mega Man 'armour' for the xl too, but that remains in it's package as well.
This man is amazing by the way. He always makes me smile!

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

:'( I am so inferior... if this world were perfect, I'd own every limited edition 3DS console, but alas, this world is imperfect and I lack the funds to buy one.

ChronoPower

ChronoPower said:

@King47
When I saw your profile I thought "hey thats a cool picture, kinda looks like Zelda characters in a miyazaki style.
Then I realized it really was a pic of Pazu and Sheeta from Laputa, so I created an account to tell you how awesome it is.
Ok, I'm done stalking you. Promise.

King47

King47 said:

@ChronoPower
It is a Ghibli style Zelda picture. I didn't make it though. But I melted when I saw it.
Damn, I want to see Laputa again, now that you mentioned it. I know what I'm doing tonight.
No worry, you made my day, thanks.

mullen

mullen said:

@MrGawain I somewhat agree with you. I think it's good that someone can play Japanese games have the right to make decision, because he may personally like some great games, and then influence the localization decision. Also, Layton vs. ace attorney is not a Nintendo game, but he still promote it in this video. Think about there are so many games that Europe got localized version first, may be that's the reason.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Shibata is pretty cool! To be honest, I think he does it better then Iwata! Shibata is better in English then Iwata!