Rumour: New Pokémon Game In Development, Focusing On Pikachu

Posted by Orla Madden

Pika-who?

According to Japanese website NHK, The Pokémon Company is currently developing a brand new Pokémon title which focuses on Pikachu. The title is said to have started development during the summer.

President and CEO of the company, Tsunekazu Ishihara, is set to appear on Japanese TV on 28th October, with the existence of a new game in development apparently to be confirmed; the franchise's most recognised pocket monster is rumoured to be getting a slight makeover. Ishihara is apparently concerned about how the change will effect the series mascot's popularity, especially due to its status as arguably the most recognisable Pokémon.

Bear in mind this is a rumour, so be sure to take it with a pinch of salt. Details of the broadcast will be revealed later this month.

If the speculation turns out to be true, how would you feel about Pikachu's adjustment? It could, perhaps, be Mega Pikachu, seeing as Pokémon X & Y are set to feature Mega Blastoise, Mega Venusaur and Mega Charizard, and a selection of others on the list lined up to use the Mega Stone. Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.

[via nhk.or.jp, neogaf.com, bmgf.bulbagarden.net]

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Another Hey You Pikachu? Really? I hope this isn't true. I'd rather not have pikachu redesigned, again, unless they make him fatter.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

What about that Pokemon fighting game?

I don't know what to think of a Pikachu-centered game other than something akin to Hey You Pikachu! and I'm not sure about Pikachu getting a new look especially. It already looks cute enough. We'll just have to wait and see.

Yamitora1

Yamitora1 said:

I will take this with sea-salt ice cream. I hope its an announcement for Ruby Sapphire Remakes.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

Oh no, Hey You Pikachu is gonna be back with a vengeance! :o

But seriously why don't they do a Pokemon Snap sequel instead?

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

I liked you best when you were tubby, Pikachu.
I wonder how this will play out...

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

I love how everybody ignores PokePark like it didn't happen. I think it's more likely to be another one of those, considering it's a more recent series. I have a feeling they will try to make a PokePark game for every new generation of Pokemon, considering they crapped out PokePark 2 not too long ago.

Eh, if it's a PokePark game I'll ignore it like the rest of em. I'd rather attempt to catch 'em all rather than play a poorly put together minigame collection.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Interesting Pokemon games:
Pokemon Snap 2
Pokemon Trading Card 3D
Pokemon Stadium U

Pikachu game? Meh

JustinH

JustinH said:

@Retro_on_theGo I like how the common consensus about Pikachu is "they should make him fatter." Who says that about anyone or anything else?

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you. It's just funny.

InternetFurret

InternetFurret said:

maybe it's http://cdn0.spong.com/news/p/o/pokmonteac373620l/-Pokemon-News-Pikachu-Teaches-Typing-on-Nintendo-DS-.jpg this time for 3ds... nah, i wonder what could it be.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@ToastyYogurt - I don't understand why it took until the 9th post for somebody to say Pokepark 3. It probably should have been in the article.

The 1st game was kind of lame, but the 2nd seemed like a real game. Not a real Pokemon game, but an RPG adventure type game. I didn't play either 1 but I watched my 2 Pokemon obsessed sons play both.

And for those who think th ePokepark games are weird, they're just like the Pikachu shorts that are in front of a lot of the Pokemon movies. I have seen almost all of those.

Gioku

Gioku said:

I'd say it sounds like Hey You Pikachu 2 tbh... a Pikachu redesign would be interesting, too...

PikminWorld

PikminWorld said:

I have a bad feeling this will be the next Pokemon game to come to the Wii U instead of a full blown Pokemon game after X and Y. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Pikachu but not too many of these games that don't follow the series directly do too well, but who knows.

zoroarkrules25

zoroarkrules25 said:

I have to agree that it is PP3, maybe with megas? Although i would rather see poken fighters announced instead.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

I don't believe it. Howe could Pikachu be getting a redesign now? Pokemon X & Y is about to come out, the new X & Y anime season shows Ash's pikachu exactly the same as always, and even Smash Bros. has Pikachu exactly as he looks now. Redesigning Pikachu would make everything more complex, so I don't think this is true.

Nionel

Nionel said:

It'll be a sequel/remake of Hey You! Pikachu, but keeping with Nintendo naming scheme, it'll be titled "Hey U! Pikachu!" complete with a Pikachu colored Wii U system, for the hardcore nostalgia throwback.

Squid

Squid said:

Why on earth would they need to redesign Pikachu... If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

please be an open world game where you run around a city electrocuting businessmen and cosplayers!

Shadowkiller97

Shadowkiller97 said:

Pokémon Lightning Yellow Version is happening guys! In the Gen VI engine to boot!!! All of our dreams are coming true at last!

PrincessSugoi

PrincessSugoi said:

Praying for yellow remake or Pokemon Z with MegaRaichu starter

And whose Twitter account do I have to spam to get a Snap 2? I absolutely loved the first (and sadly only) one.

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

This is an awesome news (or rumour)! I've loved Pokémon Channel and both Poképark games, so I'm certainly hoping for this rumour to be true.

Murduskull

Murduskull said:

Pokemon Yellow was pretty Pikachu-centric, dont assume its hey you Pikachu just cuz its focused on him lol. As for a redesign? NO THANX

gamingreal

gamingreal said:

I like the idea of a Pokemon yellow remake, id definitely get that, pokemon yellow was my first pokemon game.
as for that ds tech demo featuring pikachu that's probably been scrapped entirely and reused for pokemon-a-me in X&Y

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

Aren't we all a little burned out from Pikachu yet? Sure, he's the most recognisable Pokémon and all, but quite frankly, I've been bored with him for quite some time to the point that I'd never consider recruiting him (or her?) in my party again unless they branched out its evolutionary line.

I'd love to see one of the other 700+ Pokémon take centre stage for once.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

Btw, still waiting for a new pokemon pinball or pokemon trading card title to grace the 3DS. Anybody else out there want this as well?

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

@KnightRider666

I would want a new Pokemon Pinball, but it'd have to have more than 2 boards. One based on the DS line up of games along with the upcoming X/Y would be awesome, with a Hoenn Confirmed table thrown in there for good measure.

Tindre

Tindre said:

redesign of something that already is so iconic? ^^'''' well this is exciting..

Tobias95

Tobias95 said:

I belive its a pokepark 3
Hopes it will be an entire new thing
And would hate it to be a Pokemon channel 2

JubilifeRival

JubilifeRival said:

Pokemon Yellow Version 3DS with a 3D engine? I would die for that almost as much as X and Y, maybe the same!

Yung_Tiga

Yung_Tiga said:

You know what...and everyone that love pokemon game will agree with what I'm saying..for the 3ds & wii U all we want is a pokemon game that lets us go back to all the regions we have incountered.(its like a big remake but all the pokemon games together) To fight all those gym leaders over agian. To walk with our pokemon. To get the chance to battle the main characters of all those games from red/blue through x/y...secret bases...and all that stuff ...your doing a great and wonderful job with these pokemon games...but just take some of our ideas and put in the games ...and customizing trainers don't take that away..that's that best thing ...and I rather walk with my pokemon to ..give us a option to walk with our pokemon or not..That's all please..take consideration of this comment thanks..I believe this is all we want plus your ideas. Thanks again.

Yung_Tiga

Yung_Tiga said:

Another thing ...I hope the next game actually talks...dor the 3ds and wii U that will be cool

thatvictoria

thatvictoria said:

Hoping that this is a Pokemon Yellow remake or something of that sort? but for the re-designed Pikachu, no thank you.