Classic SNES RPG Breath Of Fire II Is Coming To The North American Wii U Virtual Console

Posted by Damien McFerran

A breath of fresh air

Capcom's classic 16-bit RPG Breath of Fire II is coming to the North American Wii U Virtual Console "in the coming months". The news was broken on Capcom Unity, along with confirmation that UDON Entertainment is publishing a Breath of Fire Complete Works art book next year.

The series is undergoing something of a revival of late, with the recent announcement that the sixth entry in the franchise is in development for PC, tablet and phones.

Breath of Fire II is already available on the Wii Virtual Console, and was ported to the Game Boy Advance in 2001. Will you be downloading this one when it eventually becomes available? Drop a comment to tell us.

[via siliconera.com, capcom-unity.com]

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

I may pick this up since I never got it on Wii VC. I've heard good things about this series.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Has anybody else noticed that this game isn't actually on wii virtual console and neither are any capcom games? It seems over half the library has just vanished?

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

@DESS-M-8
They're probably moving them so they don't have to take up space on both the eShop, and the Wii Shop. They probably have to pay to have each spot.

Jollykarp

Jollykarp said:

Could you please bold the words "art book" after "Breath of Fire Complete Works"? I got so excited :(

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

@SCAR392
It's not just capcom it's like most of the library even Nintendo titles like ocarina, majoras mask and smash bros

R_Champ

R_Champ said:

Almost got this for Wii last year, now I'm glad I waited :) This game was near the top of my most-wanted VC games for WiiU. Super excited it's coming out.

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

Still seems silly that they can't publish BOF1, though I don't know how much sway Squenix would have over it in terms of asking for a cut of the profits for their translation job.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Excellent game that for some reason I never finished! Really like recruting people to join your town!

Expa0

Expa0 said:

One of my favorite games of all time (7th favorite to be exact) Was the first JRPG I've ever played together with Chrono Trigger and Lufia 1 & 2.Though I admit in this case it's probably only because of the sweet memories I have of playing this game as a kid. Will be getting it if we get a 60hz release in the PAL store.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Pretty cool! This was a RPG I never really get to play on the SNES. I'll definitely give it a go.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

I don't believe it. There's a Dungeon and Dragons game that is supposed to come to the Wii U too, but we haven't seen that. So seeing is believing in this case.

zeldazero

zeldazero said:

@SCAR392
The best thing I loved about this game is it is the first time I remember a game where you actually build your own town and can customize the type of building architecture by finding different architects around the games world. It will have item, weapon, and armor shops.

Rapido

Rapido said:

OOHHH YEAH!!! This one and the First are the only BOF games I haven't played, (sigh, reminds me of BOF VI coming to smartphones)

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Cool. Now there's a game I'd pay for a transfer.

EDIT: BREATH OF FIRE 6 WAS ANNOUNCED?! That's a shock. It's coming to PC, too, which is great, because there'll likely be a fantranslation if it doesn't get officially localized within a year of release.

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

@DESS-M-8 Wait, what? That's kind of scary. I've been comfortable knowing that I can get any VC game when I want (or have the money), but if they're starting to disappear, that kind of makes me uneasy. Perhaps it is because of the Wii U VC, but how do we know for sure? I know I regret not picking up DKC 2 & 3 before they disappeared. (I still can't believe that happened.)

Chomposaur

Chomposaur said:

i have it on the wii virtual console upscaled to HD and its fullscreen

not interested in the 4:3 fixed version

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Already have Breath of Fire II on the Nintendo Wii Virtual Console, but it's nice to hear that it's being re-released again.
Personally, I think it's a good turn-based RPG, just nowhere near as great as the first in my opinion (sad the West is not going to get re-released for both Virtual Console services one due to the whole Capcom-Square deal).

ueI

ueI said:

The review on this site doesn't make it sound like a very good game.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@StarBoy91 I'd actually agree with that assessment - The first Breath of Fire is surprisingly great for it's age. BoF2 isnt as good, but still pretty good.

@ueI To be fair, that was one of the earliest reviews here. It's not very thorough at all.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

I will be getting day 1. Now I won't have to dig my SNES or GBA out to play it.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

My only question regarding this was why was the first Breath of Fire game never available on VC, Capcom published both games anyways so why not just release that one too? BOFII is great but I still love the original just as much.

umegames

umegames said:

I would love to get into it, but i have this thing where i have to play games in order, which im ONLY breaking for the 1st time with pikmin 3. still, it will drive me crazy not playing breath of fire 2, having not played the 1st one.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I never had the chance to play this one. I enjoyed the first one alot still have it on SNES. Looks like I will be picking this one up when it becomes available on the Wii VC.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Never played a Capcom RPG. Maybe after I beat Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger and then Earthbound. So, someday.

@XCWarrior

There should not be an online bug that somehow takes months to squash in this one, so I think it is gonna arrive.

mch

mch said:

Love that game and recommend it to all the SNES RPG lovers ou there! I hope this comes to Europe too! Must admit though that I would not buy it because i have the original SNES-Game right here.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Glad to see that at least Capcom is going to continue to support the VC.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

@DESS-M-8
I wasn't aware alot of VC titles were gone on the Wii VC. I'd say it's a pretty safe bet they're getting them all moved to the Wii U VC.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Finally a Wii u vc game (with the exception of Earthbound) that hasn't been released before on the Wii vc (and a third-party one, no less)!

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

@retro_player_22 - Both Breath of Fire titles were published by Capcom... in Japan, that is (and when it came to the Game Boy Advance). The reason the first Breath of Fire for SNES hasn't been available on the Virtual Console is a little complicated than that. It was the first RPG Capcom ever made, which meant that it was word-driven; only problem was, at that point they didn't have enough resources to have it translated themselves, so they had to appoint the help of Ted Woolsey, who by the time that game was made had already done a great job translating RPGs. Thing is, Ted Woolsey was a SquareSoft employee at the time, so as a result the first Breath of Fire was published in the US by SquareSoft, and that in a nutshell is why Capcom RPG #1 has never been released for the Virtual Console downloadable services in the West. That, and they bout about who has the rights to the first game. Shame.
@Henmii - Breath of Fire II was released on the Wii Virtual Console before, so it's not the first time that it's available in a downloadable service.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

@FiveDigitLP As long as they all slowly come back I'm not bothered, it's just releases are so slow I went to download a bunch of N64 games, as i had 8000 club nintendo points to spend and won a 2000 point VC code on eBay
for a £10, and I'll pay the £1-£2 update when they appear on wii u VC when they eventually turn up and was shocked to see te amount that had disappeared. I'm sure the donkey kong trilogy will return at some point, it's just a shame that goldeneye, Conker's bad fur day, killer instinct gold
And banjo kazooie never will. Although of Microsoft had any sense they would allow them to be released and take a cut of the profit.

Relias

Relias said:

Uhm yeah Capcom.. about that Dungeons and Dragons Game you have been promising.. No more support from me.. (I did buy Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on Wii U recently..) Until you give me that..