Video: This New Project X Zone Trailer Pulls No Punches

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

O. M. G.

We'll be honest and say that, at times, our reporting around Project X Zone has been a little breathless and excitable, particularly when it was first announced for Japan. It's a crossover of Capcom, SEGA and Namco Bandai IPs that names Monolith Soft — of Xenoblade Chronicles fame, to name just one — as a developer on the project. And it hits North America really soon, on 25th June — Europe is slated for a 5th July release.

We may not have played it yet — we hope it won't disappoint — but those factors are enough to get the pulses racing. We've also enjoyed some of the Japanese trailers in the past, which have shown just how bonkers some of the battle scenes and moves promise to be. Now, thanks to Capcom Unity, we have a trailer for the Western release that shows off the company's "team".

Warning: this may cause a nostalgia overload.

Rafie

Rafie said:

First day pick up! I'm super stocked.....and I don't even play RPG's! First time for everything I suppose!

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Awesome and it even feature the Dante of old (his first appearance on a Nintendo system) rather than the emo one from the new DMC.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I still don't see the RPG in this but that video did send chills through my spin! I'm still waiting for a review but its looking more like ill pick it up! Over the top flash FTW!!

FOURSIDE_BOY

FOURSIDE_BOY said:

God, I feel that when I'll play the game in june and I connect a 8838123893 hit combo, my 3ds is just gonna explode.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Hopefully this game will sell enough to convince Nintendo to double down on its commitment to bring more Japanese games overseas

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

This looks AMAZING!!!!
I hope the namco bandai roster brings Rick from Splatterhouse.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Can't wait, although other then the subs, it's nothing the Japanese trailers haven't already shown.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

This looks so typical "Japanese" & I mean that in the best possible way. I can't wait to play it!!! We're lucky to be getting it so make sure you support it!!

FOURSIDE_BOY

FOURSIDE_BOY said:

@mariobro4 Totally, the game should come with a special edition capcom barf bag because the trailer was so sick, the camera moved so fast and there were a zillion combos there, so now imagine that very close and in 3d.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

I love how they implemented MegaMan X and Zeros X4 weapons and skills :D I think its time that i finish up the PS2 predecessor, if only the translation wasnt such a mess..

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

This looks brilliant. Day one buy for me! :D

@Midnight3DS
It's a Strategy RPG game. The overworld layout is like in the Fire Emblem series, where you get to make chess-like moves and use strategic placements with your characters. The fighting sequences that are shown in every video is just the combat system.

FOURSIDE_BOY

FOURSIDE_BOY said:

@19Robb 92 So I have a question, the combos shown in the video trigger when you put together 2 characters that are compatible or is it like fire emblem awakening where you have to build up relationships?

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

@FOURSIDE_BOY
I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject. But from what I've read there are supposed to be about 40 playable characters. 20 Pair-Units (a pair of characters) and 20 Solo-Units (individual characters ). The solo-units can be paired together with the pair-units, so essentially you have three characters to play around with whereas two of those are a pair and one is solo.

I don't think relationships between characters are as important as it is in FE:A though.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Bah... I don't see why the hype...
... it only look so amazing afterall!!! X3

This game is on my "Do all you can for buy it day-one" list for a bit now and trailers like this just makes me wish July could come faster :)

astros75

astros75 said:

All this time I thought this was traditional fighting game... Strategy RPG, sign me up! Soooooo many anticipated titles for the remainder of the year

DePapier

DePapier said:

It really sucks not being able to see in 3D, with all the camera movement it seems clear the game is way more stunning on the 3DS than it is on this video...

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

This is the definition of fan service XD
Not for me but I'm glad to see localisation is making progress.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I'm very interested in seeing how this game turns out. It could very well become a purchase if it lives up to the hype.

URAlsr

URAlsr said:

That ryu Shoryu - FADC - Shinku was pretty tight. i cant wait till this game hits $20

MetalKingShield

MetalKingShield said:

The graphics are so amazingly good. Nintendo should try and make 2D Metroid and Zelda look as good as this. I mean, look at the Mega Man sprite! The way the sprites animate and scale is just on another level.

MyBodyIsReggie

MyBodyIsReggie said:

I am the world's worst when it comes to fighting games. THE WORST. That said, I have no choice but to get this amazing game. I am powerless to resist.

HunteROB

HunteROB said:

How can they play the Ghosts'n Goblins theme but not show Arthur? He's in the game!

timp29

timp29 said:

What the... this looks like some old school side scroller beat em up fun with modern touches.

Colour me intrigued!

masterLEON

masterLEON said:

The combat looks like it plays like Valkyrie Profile (the original one) or Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier (another Monolith Soft Game). You have to press the buttons to combo your character's attacks with the right timing in order to maximize your damage. If you drop the combo, your attack phase ends prematurely.

McHaggis

McHaggis said:

An RPG with Capcom characters and they leave out Ryu from their biggest RPG? I'd have at least liked to have seen a Kaiser dragon in there somewhere, regardless of how awesome it looked ;)

Araknie

Araknie said:

And this is only the Capcom characters, there are also SEGA and Bandai in there.
Must get this D1!

Rafie

Rafie said:

@McHaggis Umm...where did you see that they left Ryu out?! You didn't see him FADC (Focus Dash Cancel) into Shinku Hadoken towards the end of the vid? There are plenty of Japanese trailers that show Ryu and Ken off, as well as Juri!

McHaggis

McHaggis said:

@Rafie read the context of my comment again ;-)

"An RPG with Capcom characters and they leave out Ryu from their biggest RPG?"
From their biggest RPG indicates I'm referring to the Ryu of Breath of Fire fame rather than of Street Fighter fame. :-) Breath of Fire III being one of my all time favourite RPGs, and all.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@McHaggis Woops. How could I have been so deluded! I respectfully retract my statement and issue an apology! LOL :D