Miiverse Now Available In Your Browser

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Social network makes the leap off of Wii U

Miiverse, that perfectly civil, friendly and downright jovial Wii U utopia of a social network, which doubles as a place to discover just how much patience people have for creating incredibly elaborate works of art using two colors and a stylus, is now available in your browser. You're now free to sit in the back of the bus and marvel at all the illustrations of Adventure Time and Midna you want.

The browser version is almost the same as what you'll find on Wii U, with a few features reserved for the console. You can scroll through your activity feed, hop in to Communities, view screenshots, drawings and user profiles, and Yeah! or comment on other people's posts. However, if you want to post directly to a Community or add a friend, you'll still have to do that from the ol' Wii U.

Miiverse requires a Nintendo Network ID account, which can only be created on a console.

Desktop and mobile versions of the site are available, and functionality is the same no matter your browser.

If you like Miiverse then Yeah! this post.

[via miiverse.nintendo.net]

ikki5

ikki5 said:

This is great, though sadly you cannot create new posts, however, you can at least respond to ones already posted.

Williaint

Williaint said:

I was there. I was Surfing the miiverse, when it happened: Tom had an update!

EaZy_T

EaZy_T said:

I just tried using the 3DS browser... no go :(
Why would they block their own hardware from accessing the miiverse?

JSuede

JSuede said:

@DKDonkeyKong It'll either be tomorrow....but I've heard Thursday as a rumor as well. Either way, it's coming this week and the VC launches the next day. Woo!

It should be noted that this browser version is in Beta form, so it is likely that you will be able to post without commenting and add friends sometime in the future. I really do hope they are working on a smartphone app, because that would be phenomenal.

DKDonkeyKong

DKDonkeyKong said:

@JSuede Well I just checked out the mobile version and it's pretty neat :) Although I must say, I was expecting them to make a smartphone app :P They probably will in the future.

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

Just tested on my phone through Opera Browser, and it WORKS!!! Singed in and everything. This is pretty exciting, even though it's in Beta form looks clean.

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

YEAH!! Time to spend more time talking to my new friend all the way in Europe instead of my real friends, who never spend time with me ;-;

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

Isn't that just peachy. -__- Nintendo has previously talked about bringing Miiverse to 3DS but doesn't really want to talk about it right now. That at the moment and until the time if Miiverse EVER even shows up on 3DS is how much I believe in Nintendo ACTUALLY making Miiverse work for 3DS to begin with.

Oscarsome

Oscarsome said:

I think this a nice move for Nintendo to really push Miiverse. I will have it bookmarked on my phone and laptop for quick access. Plus, on an actual keyboard, I will be more tempted to write comments and scroll through everything faster. :D

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

Is it true Iwata plans something much smaller than an E3?? --I hear he will just showcase specific titles....

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

@Funny_Moblin From what I gather from that, he means while other companies are focusing on pushing their new systems (hardware), WiiU can focus on pushing their games

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

@LzQuacker Well...at least I know they're not focusing on giving us new games. They are focusing on giving us more information about the ones we already know about, I think.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

They already announced at a previous Direct that the browser version would launch first & then dedicated apps for iOS & Android at a later time.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

So.. Are we getting a app in the App/Android store or will it just be browser based?

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

If you try to use it on the Wii U internet browser, it tells you to press home on the GamePad and launch Miiverse.

mcusc5435

mcusc5435 said:

I wish Miiverse would come to 3DS but I have a really bad feeling that it will never come based on Nintendo not being very interested in it right now. Having Miiverse on 3DS would only make it more popular since alot of people have the 3DS.

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

I don't really care for Miiverse. Either it is artwork, or people asking for likes, and almost nothing else. I find it hard to have an intelligent discussion with someone on Miiverse, not only because of the above, but the character limit is too low. I tried asking thoughtful questions, but I just get yeahs without anyone responding to it, and then it gets buried within minutes.

I'm thankful that Miiverse exists because of Earthbound, but other than that, I don't see any value in Miiverse at all.

@Vallu So true.

thefabfour64

thefabfour64 said:

Pretty good IMO. It's only in the beta stage right now, so it should get better as time rolls on. Now we just need it on 3DS.

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

Wow, this is pretty great! Of course there are still some features missing but the software is in its Beta stage so these things will be implemented incrementally. Looking good so far!

Peach64

Peach64 said:

@DashDG Most of the NLife staff are in the UK, and it's not even 7am here yet, so you can't really blame them for not having the news up hours ago...

DePapier

DePapier said:

And there I got my new and authentic profile picture, straight up from Miiverse!!! :D

DrMonk

DrMonk said:

Wow, the mobile version is really very well made. Why do they need to make an app (maybe other than to allow drawing?). You can add the Miiverse icon to your home screen on iPhone and then it basically is like an app.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

Teehee, trying to use the browser Miiverse in the Wii U browser prompt you to press Home button and Miiverse icon.

BradPJ

BradPJ said:

@DrMonk I was about to say the same thing. I've added mine to the homescreen and to be honest it's pretty fast as it is so I'm pretty happy with the result at the moment.

mrkuribo

mrkuribo said:

Miiverse also works very well on the PSVita browser. 3DS just gives you an error message. Haha.

CountEkkiM

CountEkkiM said:

it works fine but i cant post there wit my phone.. i can comment other people posts but can i post myself..

Haywired

Haywired said:

I'm off to check it out. I haven't looked at Miiverse for a while and I'm not sure how I've managed to cope without the exhausting, neverending flood of fascinating and original insights such as "Nintendo rocks!" and "Mario is fun!"

Only joking! Though doesn't NL (being the number one Nintendo site/fan community on the internet) see this as like online competition or something?

Metal_Slugger

Metal_Slugger said:

I could care less but I think it's great for the people who want it. I like checking it out on my WIIU now and then. If I over did it I wouldn't care for it.

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

This is great, just had a quick look and bookmarked it! Works great! Although I'd rather be able to create new posts, I can accept for now that it's not available - though I'm expecting this to be addressed soon!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

It's neat that my old laptop can pick it up. This will be useful whenever I'm away from home at college.

erv

erv said:

Can't participate, so uhm... what's the point? You need a nintendo id, sure, but make it clear if the message is posted from outside nintendo systems and we'll all get along.

CapnKael

CapnKael said:

I'm thrilled with it so far! Miiverse is a brilliant idea, and now that I can acess it off my iPod touch, it's even better. Yeah, there's no dedicated app yet, but I just created a link to Miiverse on my home screen.

Iwata also stated in a press conference that it's only in the beta stage at the moment and that posting content will eventually become available. It's all good!

JSuede

JSuede said:

@DKDonkeyKong Yeah, I checked it out and even made a few posts...definitely pretty cool. Took me a while to remember my NID password though, which is why I'd like a smartphone app. But yeah, they will definitely look into that.

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

This would be amazing... except I forgot what my password is and don't havee my Wii U handy.:/

gavn64

gavn64 said:

i cant comment on other peoples posts i can yeah posts but nothing else.

BradPJ

BradPJ said:

Someone has made an app for this for Android phones and released it on Google Play. It is simply the website but contained as an app. Therefore it acts the same, no notifications, but it does appear in the app drawer and doesn't have a browser bar.

EDIT: There's two on the Android Play Store. One has ads and one does not. The one without ads is the one just called Miiverse.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

Works very well actually!! The dedicated apps are coming at a later time Nintendo stated in a previous Direct.

Gregor

Gregor said:

@HeatBombastic foreveralone.jpg
How do you get a friend in Europe? It seems every one has a pet Brit these days/every Brit seems to have a pet American these days.

Rod64

Rod64 said:

They should create an specific miiverse app for iphone, android and nokia windows phones.

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@Haywired
Totally off topic, but I've completely missed your comment on the Project CARS article:

@DePapier
Fair enough! :-)

Though I think Thanos' comment may have been sarcastic (seeing as a real life steering wheel isn't detachable or full of buttons and isn't similar in shape).

Just to let you know: I was definitely not being sarcastic, an F1 steering wheel actually IS detachable AND full of buttons, same as in the Project CARS video. And I use smileys or similar when I'm joking or being sarcastic...

Haywired

Haywired said:

@TheRealThanos
Oh, my mistake, sorry (I was stupidly thinking about regular steering wheels...) Thinking about it, it did seem at odds with the rest of your comment...

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@Haywired
No offence taken. I'm curious to know what would make you think so, though. Most of the times I triple check what I type before posting it for real, so hopefully no wrong interpretation can be made, but then again it's only text and there's only so much one can do to prevent how others explain it...