Zelda Game Boy Color Oracle Duo Heading To Western 3DS eShops Before Summer

Posted by Orla Madden

Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma gives us new hope

During last month's Japanese Nintendo Direct, it was announced that Japanese gamers would be able to purchase both The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and The Legend of Zelda: Oracles of Seasons on the 3DS eShop from the 27th February — so it was only a matter of time before the classic Game Boy Color titles would make their way to the Western virtual stores.

Eiji Aonuma, producer of The Legend of Zelda series, has appeared on the official Zelda Miiverse community earlier today with a message regarding the launch of both of the games in the West. He confirmed that both titles will be available before summer, although a specific release date wasn't given. We can live with that, for now.

Are you happy to hear this news? The summer isn't too far away now, so not long to wait.

Related Games

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I'm been wanting to try these games for quite a while now. It's great news that they are finally heading to the eshop.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

Nice! I have never tried these games out before but as a kid I always wanted to. Now I finally have the chance to play some of the few Zelda games I have yet to try.

ayanami85

ayanami85 said:

Yes! I always wanted to try this games, now is the perfect time to add them to my zelda collecotion!

Wilford111

Wilford111 said:

I've never played these games either! It seems as though not a lot of people have, at least I don't know many that have. Anyway, I wonder if I should pick up one or both?

SLiM

SLiM said:

Sweet! Can't wait to play these games. I tend to forget these games when listing the games in the Zelda series.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Great to hear they are coming for sure!! ..too bad it's probably still several months away, but hey, some news is better then no news.

WildMan

WildMan said:

Nice! I remember playing Oracle of Seasons on my Gameboy Color when I was younger, but I got stuck and my game cartridge broke before I finished it.. :/

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

These are two of the three GBC games I most want to play. And I'm still waiting for WayForward to give us the third.

AidenRPG

AidenRPG said:

i got both titles years ago when gamestop still sold gameboy/gameboy color games, along with links awakening dx for my purple gameboy color. even though i still own the cartridges im tempted to purchase these for my XL because i bet theyd look amazing on the big backlit screen. im excited so many gamers will get a chance to play these classics for the first time! seasons was always my favorite. :]

paburrows

paburrows said:

I will probably download Ages first and then Seasons (which was my favorate) when I beat ages. I always loved how you could get a password when you beat one which gives you a final boss level with Ganon. I remember that I played it on my Advance since they came out right around the time that it came out.

Than64

Than64 said:

I still own my original cartridges with the game boxes. These two games were fantastic together! I loved Ages more than Seasons but it almost looks like I am in the minority here ;-) I'm not sure I'll purchase these but it's great that other gamers will have that chance.

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

So excited! While I have both original carts, I wasn't able to get very far because I essentially suck at old-school games. I could never beat that second boss in Ages, so I can't wait for restore points!

eks

eks said:

These were great games, and summer is soon approaching, so they'd better hurry.

Bucho

Bucho said:

well, spring starts next week, that means it's only a 3 month window for these to come out! i'm buying both since i love these games and want to replay them, but i highly recommend playing Ages before Seasons, (puzzle and more story before battle heavy) you'll thank me if you're an Oracle virgin :3

No-longer-postin

No-longer-postin said:

I bought a Game Boy Advance on Day 1.
I waited until it came out to buy Seasons and Ages because of the Advance Houses and slightly better colour.
I played and both, including the True Final Battle.

I have NO idea what happened to my Carts.
All I know is that the day that these are released, I'm getting them.
I miss this very underrated and very overlooked duology.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

I'm so excited!!! I have both games but it has been so many years and I've been waiting to play them on 3DS. :D Thank you Nintendo! Oh how I love those games...My childhood haha.

Zeldalover

Zeldalover said:

The Oracle games and Super Mario Bros. 3 are the ones I've been waiting for ever since I got my 3DS last summer!

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

I really wished Link would be a DLC character in Fire Emblem Awakening. Even though the assassin class uses both swords and arrows, Link could have his own class. And his promoted class could include Epona.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Great news I will be getting these on day one since I have never played these games before.

JohniePizzapies

JohniePizzapies said:

The 3DS has really turned into a Zelda system. The 3DS can play, The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II, Link's Awakening DX, The Minish Cap, Four Swords, Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, Ocarina of Time 3D, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Really, it only needs to add A Link to the Past and it will have a complete classic Zelda experience.

rodaco

rodaco said:

Very happy indeed! First time playing those games, dunno which one start first though.

DrthGeek

DrthGeek said:

I haven't played those in years! GREAT news on this! I've been thinking of finding an old GBA to try to play the carts I still have! Now I don't have to! Come on summer.... GET HERE ALREADY!!!!

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

I've been waiting for this! Still haven't played either of them and I really enjoyed Awakening!

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Aw Hell yeah! These are the ones I've most waited for since hearing there would be a 3DS VC! Spring is only a few days away, and it's supposed to be here before Summer, so... :D I can't wait. Finally, my Zelda collection will be complete!!!

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

@Chriiis Yep. Best way to get past the Goron Dance is to listen to the sounds and react while NOT looking at the screen. That's how I finally was able to do it. :sweat:

squirrelguys

squirrelguys said:

I got both from a flea market a while back but they both had freezing issues. Can't wait to pick these up. :D

KryptoKrunch

KryptoKrunch said:

I rented Season shortly after it came out but only played through the first few minutes of the game. I'll definitely be getting both.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Can't wait! I still have yet to beat Link's Awakening DX, which I downloaded last summer.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Insta-downloads for me. The one question I have though....is will the 'Advance' shops be available in both games? In the original Oracles games, there was an 'Advance' shop in each village that sold a few special items but it was only open if the games were played on a Game Boy Advance. It'd feel wrong if they weren't there as I used to play the Oracles games on my GBA SP all the time. :)

No-longer-postin

No-longer-postin said:

I still haven't beaten Link's Awakening.
I got it the day it was released on the VC.
I got stuck somewhere in the south west of the map.

I really don't want to have to restart it.

No-longer-postin

No-longer-postin said:

@ToxieDogg
This is the ONE question I've had about the Games for over a year now.
Unfortunately, there is probably going to be only one way to know, and thats when we start up the game.
That and the enhanced colour pallette...

kereke12

kereke12 said:

OHHHHHHHH yea and to be honest im a freak about nintendo but i never heard of these two games before can't wait for the games to come out :D

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

I might get one, I guess... but if the password-based link (no pun intended) feature between the two games is kept, I'm gettin' both.

Neram

Neram said:

Well, I better warm up by playing through Link's Awakening then. Can't wait for these to be released, Oracle of Ages is one Zelda game I've never beaten.

timp29

timp29 said:

I basically bought my 3DS expecting it to be the ultimate zelda library. This is awesome news!

FOURSIDE_BOY

FOURSIDE_BOY said:

Nintendo, now that you will give us two of the best gbc and zelda titles overall, PLEASE BRING TO AMERICA'S VIRTUAL CONSOLE WARIO LAND 3 ,and then launch these amazing gbc games: super mario bros. best version so far: super mario bros. deluxe, shantae, metal gear solid ghost of babel, mario tennis and pokemon pinball (the only bad thing is we'll lose the rumble feature).

FOURSIDE_BOY

FOURSIDE_BOY said:

Also I really think aonuma and nintendo won't be stupid, they will find a way to give you a password so you can access the ultimate battle with ganon once you finish one of these two bad boys, the advance shops weren't so important but again I think nintendo will unlock them in the 3ds version, the software we will get will emulate the playthrough as if playing the games on a gba instead of a gbc.

Boidoh

Boidoh said:

DARN, Y U TAKE SO LONG! I have my money saved in the eShop just waiting to spend it on these games.

eduardopaulo

eduardopaulo said:

@Zeldalover Coincidentally, exact same thing here. I don't know why they haven't released SMB3 already; it came out on New Year's Day in Japan. I would also freak out if they released Pokémon (R/B/Y and G/S/C).

Mike1

Mike1 said:

This is what we should be getting, great GB and GBC games, not NES games that are already available on the Wii.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

@FOURSIDE_BOY That was how the original carts worked :) When you finished one, you were given a lengthy password to insert into the other to continue your game and access the final battle with Ganon at the end....you didn't actually have to use a gamelink cable or anything like that. The Advance shops aren't necessary...I would still like them to be unlocked in the 3DS VC versions though :)

LordGeovanni

LordGeovanni said:

Great to see that these are coming over. Any chance there will be a reduced price if you buy both games? And I still wish C(r)apcom didn't mess up on the third game when they were designing the trilogy. Or else we would be looking at THREE games right now instead of just two... The games are great and I recommend them to all.

Also: I always play Seasons before Ages. I don't know why, I just enjoy Seasons better or something...

AidenRPG

AidenRPG said:

@AltDotNerd that would be amazing..ive been addicted to fire emblem awakening since i was able to get it day one (one of the three or so who could actually find it :p) and itd be amazing to see link take down one of the heroes of old! and then, like you said, do a class change so he could get epona and cause mass annihilation on the enemy battle field! ohhhh yeaah. :D

Zeldalover

Zeldalover said:

Both games are unique in their own way. Seasons was beautiful with it's art style and the ability to change seasons. Ages had superior dungeons and a good storyline (although it gave me a hard time). I remember that I've played (and beaten) both back in the Summer of 2002, when a friend of mine (that had a GBA) gave me both cartridges to play for the weekends. They just might be the most memorable Zeldas. They were my 2nd and 3rd Zelda games), respectively (OoT was my first in '99). After 'Ages', I bought a second-hand Link's Awakening DX cartridge for my Game Boy Color and I found it to be the most enchanting experience I've ever had playing a game. It sinks you deep into it's atmosphere with such astonishing detail that you literally forget you're playing a game. 'Ages' and 'Seasons' were greatly inspired by this game and turned out to be exceptionally good on their own.

LordGeovanni

LordGeovanni said:

@rastamadeus
@3Dash

Actually, Nintendo refers to that game commonly as just LttP. Or Zelda: LttP.
Even with that said, I can see aLttP being used. But the idea of using ALTtP? That is just weird!

Musharna

Musharna said:

@KnightRider666 I'd buy any VB game that comes to the VC just to show theres a market for people who want to buy VC VB games. Maybe they could do a test with a random VB game? Since I have more than 1 3DS I'll download a copy for every 3DS I own just to show support for VB games on 3DS VC.

Musharna

Musharna said:

@KnightRider666 I do own a VB but mines broken, so having it on any of my 3DS's will make it so I can finally play those games again, plus it never fit well on my head since its not human shaped.