F-Zero AX Found Hidden In GameCube F-Zero GX

Posted by Ken Barnes

Arcade version discovered by hackers

If you're one of the thousands of people that still despairs that the arcade version of F-Zero GX — cunningly titled F-Zero AX — was really hard to find in its heyday, and has since all but died out, we've got some good news for you.

The intrepid folks over at The Cutting Room Floor have found that the arcade version was never very far away in the first place, as it was included on the original GameCube disc for F-Zero GX. Originally assumed to be based on entirely different codebases, it seems that even though AX was designed to run on the Triforce arcade board, it seems to do pretty well on your bog-standard GameCube as well.

You'll need a GameCube, an original copy of F-Zero GX, and an Action Replay (or similar) device in order to enter the lengthy code that boots the game up in AX mode. Once you're there, you get access to the classic against-the-clock arcade gameplay, as well as all of the arcade-exclusive tracks.

If you're using a PAL copy of the game, you'll need to enter the following code:-

Z60V-MZG0-VRAQ2
5FRQ-P6M4-096F3
85KV-QPJD-4U999
VXM8-U9Y8-URZPR
VZFH-H43M-5N6E3
G71V-JPGY-BPDDZ
GUZD-V5KT-UBKA8

And for those with NTSC copies, this shorter code will do the job:-

61TA-AXPK-UAV9E
EHJV-6U30-2DTVE
NBCW-U1NV-0JDJG
HK7K-0RFW-FNQ8Y
PF4U-P5D0-862X1
7HUZ-2PJY-J5TTU
Q7PM-1678-XE7FW
YW2J-AUVE-R79V8
T6UV-03PE-1H26C
R91R-1A6J-ZXN30
1GHM-VQ7W-7HBWW

It really is amazing that this has managed to stay hidden for around a decade. The fact that it has goes to prove that it must have been really tricky to find - so a doff of the cap is required for those that found it. Good work!

[via tcrf.net]

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Awesome! Now this was a great racing game. The only place I could find the arcade though was when I went to Florida for vacation (definitely not one here in WV). I would love to own the actual arcade.

luminalace

luminalace said:

Aww man....why after all these years do I find this out. While I still have the GCN version, I don't have an Action Replay. Can you even get one for GC these days?

TheKingOfTown

TheKingOfTown said:

@luminalace You can, but you can only get the super lame one affordably. It's the one that works on the Wii, but it sucks since you can't add your own codes.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

Now i immediately wonder about the Mario Kart arcade games... could it be true? exciting!

WesCash

WesCash said:

Pssshh, I unlocked all of the AX courses long ago with nothing but blood, sweat, and tears. Still, it's pretty neat that you can boot the game up in AX mode.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

@WesCash I hear ya on the blood, sweat, and tears thing. GX got tough later into it....Ch. 8 on the hardest difficulty...still have night mares....

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

My favourite game of all time, 10 years on and it still hides secrets!

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

I have tried to get into this series through the Gba F-Zero I got through the ambassador's program, but I just seem to be terrible at this series.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Nice. It always nice to see stuff hidden like this in games that were released long time ago.

Knux

Knux said:

So essentially all that I need is an Action Replay, GameCube (which I already have), and a copy of F-Zero GX? Amazing if that's the case. :O

Crunc

Crunc said:

Our Action Replay disc cracked long ago - I think they made these discs with plywood, but I'm not sure.

zoroarkrules25

zoroarkrules25 said:

Cool but doesn't mentioning the ar break the rules of the site( kind of funny though) Anyway i never played f zero but this looks cool.

jilbgm

jilbgm said:

Pff... I play that game a lot, so now the disc is all scratch u.u (sniff... )

Suicune

Suicune said:

Worlds of Fun Kansas City, MO. That theme park has AX. And Six Flags St. Louis has Mario Kart GP.

SMW

SMW said:

Can't wait to try this out! I'm miserable at GX, so unlocking stuff is practically impossible. Glad I can finally experience the AX!

zipmonStaff

zipmon said:

=O Woah, that's amazing news!! Awesome!!! Next time I see an Gamecube AR somewhere I'll haffi try this out!!

Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee said:

This is cool. I love GX.

One thing though, do you have to enter that HUGE code every single time you boot the game? (I don't know how Action Replay works).

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

It's not hidden at all. You can unlock the tracks if you put the GCN memory card into the arcade version, and bring it back to your GCN copy.
You can unlock this by beating it on expert, or finding the arcade machine. This is kind of cheating to get the extra content, but maybe someone would never be able to get the extras without cheating.

KingDunsparce

KingDunsparce said:

@SCAR392 Oh so I guess it is possible to get it even though I don't have action replay. Not like I'm going to be able to beat it on expert xD
@Happy_Mask Ya, that's what I thought when I saw it. Perhaps not because its already in the game. I don't know.

gblock

gblock said:

If only Nintendo would put the Mario Kart Arcade game(s) (except the new one that's coming out in Japan in the next couple months) on the next Mario Kart on Wii U, that would be awesome!

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

If you guys really want the arcade tracks, go beat the story mode on expert, then all the grand prix cups on expert. When I read this online, I was like 'no way', but I wanted it pretty bad. About a week later, I had the tracks. It was just to much to resist to not unlock bascially the whole arcade version. It's hard, but the reward is like none other.
It's not even all that hard for me now. You don't even have to snake to win, but it does take some patience and a little bit of luck sometimes.

Stark_Nebula

Stark_Nebula said:

Woah! People actually read up on F-Zero GX? I'm so amazed you guys actually made an article on this! Thank you so much Ken Barnes! According to Ralf, the creator of the code, there's still the E3 demo on the disc, too. I updated the page today with Gecko support, should anyone need it. Anyway, I'm truly ecstatic that you noticed the article! Make sure to give the AX article some love, too! I need to find someone with C skills. ;)

Also, I hope fans can make enough noise to get Nintendo to make another F-Zero game! Here's hoping to an F-Zero for Wii U! C:

brooks83

brooks83 said:

A few years ago they had the arcade game at the Pop Century resort at Disney World. I don't know if it's still there, though.

Syntax

Syntax said:

I don't mind about articles like this but it‘s definitely against the rules like Happy_Mask said. Maybe you guys should create an area at NLife for contents like this, just let the users know that its risky.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

I dont see how this is against the rules, since this doesn't involves any hacks to the console or modding the OS :P (Using AR ist hacking at all, you just change some values in the SRAM :P) Also the method it requires is to use a third party device, like controllers and stuff (this case, the AR)

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

I still have my F-Zero GX, my most fav GC game, now if only I had a working Gamecube, and a Action Replay.
And I can't believe that this game is 10 years old, and still looks good.

BabyLogey

BabyLogey said:

Good way to get me into the series, need to do some Amazon shopping some time to get the game and Action Replay.

mikeyman64

mikeyman64 said:

Holy cow! That's so great! I was only able to play AX one time, and GX used to by in my top 5. Gonna grab an AR tomorrow!

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

Yes, the AX machines and courses can be unlocked in GX alone, but I think everyone is forgetting there are 3 custom machine pieces that can only be unlocked having your Memory Card insterted on an AX arcade. Great news for me, and any completionist! Actually, I take that back, this is a historical moment for Nintendo or F-Zero fans.

SteveW

SteveW said:

Don't get your hopes up, I have the game and Action Replay and it doesn't work for me. I verified that those are zeros in the code and not the letter O. anyone else able to get this to work?

Stark_Nebula

Stark_Nebula said:

@SteveW I know we had someone test out the code on AR 1.06 and it failed, though it appears that AR 1.14 works. I've personally tested out the Gecko/Ocarina code, and it works just fine.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

This was sort of to be expected since they included all the tracks & characters that were in AX within GX, you just had to work hard to unlock them. So all you're missing through normal play is time-limited gameplay & a picture of the arcade machine, it seems :p Don't get me wrong though, its still amazingly awesome, everything about F-Zero GX is :D

Edit: I myself have unlocked every track but haven't been able to unlock every character yet. I actually found the AX cup to be amazingly easy, it was designed for use in an arcade machine after all. I should get back into F-Zero GX sometime & complete it. Also, I've never seen snaking before so it was quite amazing to watch on the 2nd track in the video, at least, I presume it was snaking. I choose not to do it since the AI can't & hence it feels like cheating to me :p I'll try it once I've completed the game though for laughs haha

SteveW

SteveW said:

@Stark_Nebula Yep, I have version 1.06... I wonder if the newer version also supports wavebird... that would definitely make it worth upgrading...

AVahne

AVahne said:

Thought it was common knowledge that those AX tracks were unlockable. Do these cheats boot them game up with the actual AX interface or does it merely unlock all those tracks for you?

Henmii

Henmii said:

Very cool, but sadly it can only be unlocked with a Action Replay. Wich I don't have (and I am a bit scared about it).

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

Holy crap, I wish I had known about this back when I put a million billion hours into this game unlocking absolutely everything... and before my GameCube memory card decided to crap out on me.

SuperKMx

SuperKMx said:

@SCAR392 The thing is that this isn't JUST the extra tracks that you can get for putting your Gamecube memory card into the arcade machine. This is the entire arcade game (more or less), complete with timers.

SuperKMx

SuperKMx said:

@Syntax I don't see how this is against the rules. This isn't hardware modification, and it isn't piracy in any way. You need an original Gamecube, an Action Replay cart (which are/were available legally from any high street game retailer), and an original copy of F-Zero GX. The rules state that users can't discuss "Any illegal activity, including any talk of modchips, piracy, warez, unofficial emulators & ROMs"

This is none of those things.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

I don't understand. This was a hidden secret for a decade? I unlocked the F-Zero AX courses without an Action Replay a decade ago.
Edit: Ok, now I see the difference.

DePapier

DePapier said:

At first I was like: SERIOUSLY??? IT TOOK YOU 10 YEARS TO FINISH THE FIRST THREE* CUPS IN MASTER??? Then I saw the video and was like: "Aaaaaahhh... So that what it meant..."

The dude was great in the first race, though he could have finished Outer Space by going through the right way with the boosts, it's faster. But then that Time Attack... CHEATER!!! SNAKING IS A DISGRACE!!! :O

Edit: *Four. I forgot the Diamond Cup.

DePapier

DePapier said:

It is amazing, though, that it was hidden for a decade. But then it doesn't provide the thrills of the real AX.
(Yet the tracks aren't exclusive: they're unlockable in the game.)

DePapier

DePapier said:

@WiiLovePeace To unlock all the characters you have to complete all the missions in Very Hard. ...And they're really hard.
Though I did it. :D I was a beast at that game back in the days, I hope they remake it for the 3DS.

Sun

Sun said:

I am not buying Action Replay.

I think you unlock F-Zero AX tracks once you complete the regular game. I like this game but I think it is too difficult, I never managed to complete it. It goes very fast which is good but the tracks are full of traps which is not that good when you are going THAT fast....

XyVoX

XyVoX said:

You have to respect their tweaked SMB2 game engine they used for this game still looks Great on a Big Plasma, fantastic game aswell for the Hardcore gamer thats for sure, Exactly how many more different tracks are there ?

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@DePapier Yeah I know, I've beaten up to Chapter 3 or 5 on "Hard" iirc, then I planned to do the next difficulty up once I finished all the chapters on hard. I really should get back into it at some point, my favourite car was Octoman's Deep Claw. Though I never really got around to testing every car & finding out which one was the best, the Deep Claw just worked brilliantly for me.

I personally hope they make an F-Zero UX, hopefully half made by Sega again, hopefully with online.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

AR was cool, it let you see NES Mario and Zelda in Animal Crossing, and access the test areas in Wind Waker.

You can actually use the GC Action replay that works with the Wii, to load the original GC Action Replay where you can add additional codes, but maybe that gets a bit complicated just for the sake of playing the the game on the Wii...

Cygnus

Cygnus said:

Damn. I'm missing an Action Replay. :(
My guess is that they're bloody expensive.

davyK

davyK said:

Did the arcade cabinets link up? If they did - just imagine - has anyone tried this with 2 GCs linked up with BB adaptors?

Unlikely , I know - it would be too good to be true!!

SonataAndante

SonataAndante said:

This is incredibly awesome. F-Zero GX is one of my top 5 games. Now here's a thought. Exactly how complete is this version of AX? In particular, does it recognize memory cards? AX arcade cabinets would have a slot for your GCN memory card and would allow you to unlock AX tracks, racers, and parts in GX. Now granted, 99% of that stuff is unlockable in GX alone, but there was one set of parts... One set of 3 parts that, to my understanding, is not unlockable by any other means than using AX (or a cheating device of course). What I'm asking is, does it recognize memory cards and therefore allow you to say, boot into AX, unlock some content, then boot into GX and use said unlocked content? Unlikely, but it would be awesome if possible.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

Looks like years later, everyone is realizing that we've had arcade machines in our homes for a LONG time. Haha.
The only reason why I would ever want to try the arcade version, is because of the tilting one.
It's not the one in the picture though. There's an actual one where you can sit in the Blue Falcon and it will tilt based on what you're doing in the game.
You definitely can't do that at home with action replay.

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

Edit: derp, should have actually read the article. Still, it was already known that you could unlock the AX tracks by beating all the Grand Prix tracks on the Master difficulty.

DePapier

DePapier said:

@SCAR392 I know, the tilting one. :) I tried one when I lived in the US, it was just mind-blowing. Then I went back to France (where I'm from) and later on got back to the US with a friend for the holidays and planned to show him the arcade...
Guess what: it was closed down. :(

Stark_Nebula

Stark_Nebula said:

@KenB Hey, you should update this article's codes! With the amount of attention these codes are getting I went back to see if Ralf updated the code, and he did about 3 weeks ago. It fixes issues with track/backdrop/audio issues on the selection screen. I also revamped that section of the TCRF article with both PAL and NTSC codes (both AR and Gecko/Ocarina), as well as some supplemental information. Thanks again for making an article on this! ;)

zip

zip said:

If you never player the real F-Zero GX then you couldn't tell that this is actually not AX. However, there are all AX tracks available in the disc, but unlockable.

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

Well I got the AX cup unlocked already. Funny how that was the easiest challenge in the game. Next, beating Story Mode on all difficulties and the Staff Ghosts. Brutal!

Nintendood

Nintendood said:

Any videos online of that tilting arcade machine?

I'm also curious about SonataAndante's question (post #77)