Nintendo Announces Mario & Luigi: Dream Team For 3DS

Posted by Orla Madden

New RPG coming to the 3DS this summer

A new addition to the Mario & Luigi RPG series of games has been announced today for the 3DS, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team.

Nintendo President and CEO, Satoru Iwata, revealed the title during Nintendo Direct after dubbing 2013 the 'Year of Luigi', with the game making its way to our handhelds this summer in Europe and the US - no specific dates were given.

As the title suggests, the game takes place in good old Luigi's dreams, with Mario's sleeping brother solving puzzles and defeating enemies as he snores.

Were you surprised with this announcement, will it be on your summer list of games to buy? Let us know in the comment section below.

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

The choppy-ish animation and clay-looking figures remind me of N64 games... I prefer sprites, personally. I wonder if they did that on purpose?

I'm also curious if they can make the amazing characters that live in the M&L games come to life with polygraphics.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I actually swore at this reveal!

Easily the best news in the whole presentation for me. I'd been posting in all the build up articles that I wanted it, but never actually expected it. I just hope it doesn't have the RPG elements cut back like Sticker Star did.

SO EXCITED!

Knux

Knux said:

Wow, this looks amazing. I'm definitely going to buy this! :O

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

Goody. I hope I will enjoy this truckloads more than Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story. I like the Mario & Luigi series, but my God the later two were so disappointing after the almighty Superstar Saga... :(

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

This was the best news of the Direct for me. My surprise almost mirrored my surprised Wario avatar when I noticed Starlow and quickly realized it was a new Mario & Luigi. Now Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario can share the same platform!

The 3D models look new and interesting, and it's nice to see it after people have been wanting something like that for a while. It has a wonderful title too. I'm looking forward to learning more.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Man I've absolutely loved all of the M&L games :D They're just so much fun to play haha :D Was always wondering when a 4th would come out & now my dreams have come true :D What a great suprise!

c0ldfire16

c0ldfire16 said:

I hate the Mario and Luigi series. Its nothing compared to Mario RPG legend of the seven stars. I wish they'd just make a true sequel already. The isometric view of Mario RPG would lend itself superbly to the 3ds. I wish they'd get the ball rolling on a new Mario RPG already :/

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

This shall be most awesome. Likely the most exciting thing for me from the Nintendo Direct.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

I almost flipped out in joy when I saw this new Mario & Luigi game appear on the Nintendo Direct. IMO, it's been a bit too long since Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story was released. Anyways, looks like Luigi is made out to be the star so far because of the trailer. Let's hope so. I hope the story is good.

Placlu

Placlu said:

Did anybody notice, in the EU stream he said "The 3DS Version will be released this summer"... I'm probably overlooking it..

Yulo303

Yulo303 said:

Finally, the game I was looking for most since 2009, Mario and Luigi RPG 4 is announced. I was so surprised at first and didn't believe its actually happening.
Although the footage so far makes me feel it won't be as good as bowser's inside story for some reason:/ Last time I wasn't impressed by mario RPG footage was sticker star, and my fears came true since it was far inferior to any mario RPG, it was okay. I hope I'm wrong on this one since I wanted it so badly.
btw FAWFUL MUST RETURN AND HAVE CHORTLES!

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Best news ever!!!! :D

I LOVE LOVE LOVE(!) the Mario & Luigi games! And coming this summer as well! Great news!

Yosher

Yosher said:

This is already tons better for me than the awful Paper Mario Sticker Star game.

gekslupis

gekslupis said:

If it is in a dream this time, I think we will have an appearence of a certain mario bros 2 villian.

SonataAndante

SonataAndante said:

Awesome news, as I've always enjoyed the M&L series more than the other RPGs. Interesting that they'd bring back Starlow, but at least she was a decent supporting character. Hopefully they don't bring back Fawful again though, BIS wrapped it up with him and I'm not keen on rehashing the same primary villain two games in a row (at least for RPGs).

Hopefully Bowser is important in some form though, as I was incredibly disappointed with Sticker Star's treatment of him. The Mario RPGs have always had Bowser important in some form, and he's always been a chatty, highly amusing character. Sticker Star just ignored him the whole game. And to clarify, I don't mean Bowser as a main villain or anything. He was a secondary problem in TTYD and was mostly off doing his own thing, and was technically a hero in 3 of the games.

Syntax

Syntax said:

wow. this is truly the year of Luigi... Luigi everywere... Oh my Arceus it happend!

SirSmugleaf

SirSmugleaf said:

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO buying this! Bowsers Inside Story is one of my all-time favourite video games ever!

Oscarsome

Oscarsome said:

So many great 3DS games coming up! But I was a bit disappointed by the footage shown for this game. Though it wasn't much, as I'm sure they're still finishing it up, but I hope it's amazing. An instant classic like Superstar Saga was.....

Henmii

Henmii said:

Looks pretty cool! And fun that we'll see it as soon as summer!

I still think the first one's the best though, and from there it went downhill. But they still are fun games, and it looks like this game has a totally different style (a bit clay-like, as someone said). Looking forward to it!

Update: Saw some footage on youtube! It looks awesome! It also reminds me a bit of Mario rpg! Maybe that's just me?

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

I know I am in the minority here but I didn't like M&LBIS, but I have been meaning to go back and replay it for years know. Maybe I will pick this one up instead...

Emaan

Emaan said:

I didn't see this coming at all. :O

Add that to the growing list of amazing 2013 3DS titles, and this truly is the year of the 3DS- or uh, Luigi.

I love the art direction they took with the new game. It's a nice departure from the usual sprites in the series.

Can't wait!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Interested on this one. I wonder if Alphadream is the one developing it. The dev's name would be a perfect fit, if you know what I mean.

FOURSIDE_BOY

FOURSIDE_BOY said:

I KNEW IT!!!!! I really had the feeling nintendo would make the 4th installment of mario and luigi after sticker star was announced, and I wasn't wrong!!!! The graphics look pretty neat; the 3ds really is on a roll right now that the best combo nintendo could pull right now is if they announced a metroid or a zelda game (or both) for the 3ds. I, too, agree that the best villain that could suit this installment is Wart.

FOURSIDE_BOY

FOURSIDE_BOY said:

@c0ldfire16 Super mario rpg legend of the seven stars was a project between squaresoft and nintendo, I won't deny that while rpg was a perfect game, both mario and luigi and paper mario took the best from it and evolved perfectly on their own; there won't be a sequel because squaresoft holds the rights of characters like geno and mallow and also because I think nintendo thinks it unnecessary if they already have smash hits like m/l and paper m. Super mario rpg was awesome but it retained a lot of squaresoft fighting style, while the other series are so nintendoish and that makes them perfect.

AntiGuy

AntiGuy said:

I'm extremely happy! after Paper Mario came out I never thought the sequel to BIN would come this year...! but... what the hell is with the plot? explore Luigi's dreams? that sounds interesting... but why!?

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

I'm not sure. It does look fun, and it looks more fun then Paper Mario SS. I guess I keep hoping they'll combine the two into a single grouping of games. Have Paper Mario's aesthetics combined with M&L's combat and humour.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

It's good to see a new M&L game on the 3DS. Didn't really know if they think Paper Mario would be enough PlumbRPG for the system.
And the idea has a lot of potential. Can't wait for more info on the story/scenarios.

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

Ok,that looks and sounds awesome. But it makes me wish that they didn't release a ... I guess you can say "dumbed down" version of Paper Mario on the 3DS and made a real one for the Wii or Wii U. Still,love me some M&L.

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

I "flipped out" when this game was announced! Really excited for it. Now that i think about it, this was probably what i was most excited about from the Direct. Hmm....

Cirno

Cirno said:

My only concern is that the game will be humorless, while it seems to be fun, it was the humor that really made the last 3 so memorable.

Once that doubt is removed, this will most likely be one of the best games of 2013.

Henmii

Henmii said:

@Magolor,

Of course it will have humor! That's one of the franchise's trademarks! But the question is: Will the animation be as expressive as in past titles! The style of past titles allowed for very expressive animation (especially in the case of Luigi and Mario. Think of Luigi slurping coffee! It looked so cool!) ! It was much more expressive then in regular Mario games!

But this game has a more 3D style, so we have to see how that works out

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

To have THREE better Nintendo Directs in a row that were better than any last year...
Mario & Luigi 4 for meeeeee!!!

JulienIsTheMan

JulienIsTheMan said:

Amazing! Mario and Luigi would have to be my second favorite series of all time next to Mario Kart. My favorite game of all time, (Sorry Nintendo! ;P) is made obvious by my avatar.