Capcom Loses Rights to Sell Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Combo fail

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars is one the Wii's finest exclusives, a 2D fighter with colourful, bombastic visuals and enough crazy combos to satisfy the most extravagant of gamers. Its accolades from us include a 9/10 in its review and 16th place in our Wii top 20. Not just one of Wii's best fighting games, but arguably one of its best games of any genre.

That's all very nice, but unfortunately the opportunities to own a copy are about to become rather scarce. Replying to comments on the Capcom Unity forums recently, Capcom Senior VP Christian Svensson made the following admission.

Our rights with Tatsunoko have lapsed fairly recently (so we're no longer allowed to sell the title physically or digitally). Unless Japan were to strike a new deal, I'd say the chances of this happening are slim.

Copies of the game were still available from some major online retailers at the time of writing, so it looks like units already shipped can still be sold without too much stringent enforcement from the Tatsunoko rights owners. That said, no more copies will be produced, and there's the potential that existing stock could come off shelves in the future. If you own a Wii, like fighting games and don't own this, we suggest picking it up quickly, before it disappears onto eBay for good.

[via eurogamer.net, capcom-unity.com]

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

Haha, I can't believe their contract was so short. This with iOS MegaMan is making me seriously question of Capcom now.

47drift

47drift said:

Seriously one of my favorite fighting games ever. I still revisit it frequently. I hope they partner again with Tatsunoko in the future for a sequel some day, unlikely as that might sound.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Good, considering I already own a copy.
Was never able to really get into the game personally.

Savino

Savino said:

I got the japanese and the american version here!
Japanese version ownz!!!

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

I was wondering why I went on the Capcom store, went to the Capcom and the game wasn't there.

Araknie

Araknie said:

LOL they didn't do a 10 year contract. Capcom is really losing interest in gaming.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Great fighting game. Probably want to hang on that this one, its value just doubled.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Yes, easily one of the top 10-15 Wii games I've played out of the 90 or so games I've played on the system. Could easily play it at any time, no need for any "mood+ to play it in either. Is this kind of similar to what happened with Jump All Stars series outside Japan?

millarrp

millarrp said:

I may have to pick this up again...wishing I wouldht have traded it so quickly

zipmonStaff

zipmon said:

Dang! Fighting game fans should snatch this up quick then, it's one of the best Capcom fighters on any system IMO!

juanduran1

juanduran1 said:

Im so glad i bought it on launch day and kept it since! =D That game was and still is alot of fun!

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

I bought this day 1 when it was released here. Not really surprised to hear about this. I traded in a lot of Wii games but there is no way I would get rid of this one.

WOLFER

WOLFER said:

@hydeks I really think nitsuma first title TVC has the better fighting system in my opinion. He didnt have to worry about how everybody might not like marvel 3 since it was going to change its gameplay and what not.

WOLFER

WOLFER said:

I also bought this game day one and played the heck out of the online multiplayer.... shoot I might still be in the top ten online still..

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

And....I still can't identify one Tatsunoku character. That's the main reason I didn't get this game. It's also why I'm still disinterested in it.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

Gave it a rent, and it was pretty good. It sure didn't make me a fan of Tatsunoko, though. The bland, same-y looking characters, the cheesy lines, the... giant, walking advertisement for cigarette lighters. Ugh. There were a few standouts, but the license just doesn't hold much appeal for me on the whole. Shame about the game going out of print, but other than that, I don't see much of a reason to hold onto that contract deal.

Pixel-Perfect

Pixel-Perfect said:

This is sad news. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is one of my favorite games. Go pick up a copy if you haven't already!

TornadoX7

TornadoX7 said:

Wow this is surprising news...well i have a copy and its great but i might even wait for awhile and possibly sell it

Anarkii

Anarkii said:

Ditto, i got the game n havent played it too, my friend actually came over to unlock characters for me. He got hooked and landed himself a copy off ebay before this news hit. lucky haha, guess we'll both be holding onto our copies =)

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

I wish there was a translated Japanese version because there are many aspects I prefer in that one over the american release.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

Here's my obligatory and vain attempt to get any sort of mileage whatsoever of that 20 second edit I did once. Enjoy.
Untitled

kilicool64

kilicool64 said:

So buying the game won't benefit Crapcom in any way anymore? In that case this is actually good news to me since that means I can buy the game without feeling bad for supporting the horrible company they've recently become.

Shane904

Shane904 said:

@EvisceratorX The whole extreme score thing made me laugh for a looonnggg time.

I got it at Goodwill for $5 new (the box was damaged though). Fun game, never got into it that much, though.

Squid

Squid said:

I don't know any Tatsunoko characters, but I think a tiny piece of me is kinda considering getting it... Maybe if I can find it cheap, but obviously that's now unlikely. Eh.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

This game should have sold more copies when it first came out. It's really a good game and I'm glad that I bought it.

Croz

Croz said:

Awesome game, however online mode was ruined by the over powered Megaman Zero.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

Nintendo vs. Capcom would be a nice way to make up for this folly.

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

I guess that's the price of licensing intellectual properties from other companies. A great many games cannot see the light of day again without going through a lot of red tape, otherwise I'm sure we'd see games like Batman (NES), Ducktales, and the arcade Dungeons & Dragons series on the VC, WiiWare, eShop, XBLA, Steam, and/or PSN stores. Tatsunoko vs Capcom was never really a favorite of mine, but it was nice to have a Capcom fighting game on the Wii ... and a Capcom fighting game within the last few years that didn't charge you any extra for stuff already on the disc.

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

@FJOJR Samus vs Mega Man? Link vs Dante? Chun-Li vs Peach? Bowser vs M Bison (Vega in some regions)? I'd be stoked just to play a Nintendo fighting game in the style of the Street Fighter series! Down, then down-forward, then forward, then a punch button for Mario to spit or throw a fireball! Gimme gimme gimme!
Thomas, James Newton works at Nintendo now and you guys still have contact with him, right? Can you help make this happen?!