Feature: Pokémon's Controversial History

Posted by Damien McFerran

Racism, greed, Nazis and spoon-bending

To celebrate the recent launch of the excellent Pokémon Black and White 2 on the Nintendo DS, we thought it would be entertaining to throw open the history books and take a look back at the shadowy past of this massively successful monster-catching series.

Like all elements of popular culture, Pokémon has been largely misunderstood by those not intimately familiar with it, leading to some downright hilarious accusations and scandals over the past decade or so.

Some people would have you believe that Pikachu and friends are solely responsible for all of the world's problems, but there have been some instances where the series has legitimately stepped on a few toes and inadvertently ruffled some feathers.

Are you sitting comfortably? Then let’s begin.

Satanism

One of the most amazing accusations that has been levelled at Pokémon is that it's the work of Beelzebub himself, and is a tool used by the devil to subvert and corrupt children. This is pretty much a stock response to any craze not fully understood by certain sectors of Western society, and has previously included everything from Elvis Presley to The Beatles and Walt Disney. Pokémon is clearly in good company.

To quote Pastor Brett Peterson:

Pokemon is not the enemy - it is Lucifer and all that exalts itself against Jesus Christ and the true path to enlightenment. Pokemon is a tool the enemy can use to build a false foundation and plant seeds of futility in my child - and this I will not allow, and I will, by the blood of Jesus and the power of the Holy Spirit come against all falsehood and doctrines of demons that try to indoctrinate my child with eastern mysticism and occultic practices.

You learn something new every day!

Greed

Quite an ironic one, this. When the Pokémon craze hit big, kids began trading cards with one another, just as their parents had done in earlier decades with items such as baseball trading cards or marbles. However, those same parents quickly stated that Pokémon was making their offspring greedy and competitive - two traits which many would argue are the bedrock of any capitalist money-focused society.

It’s quite insane just how seriously some people take this stance:

Church kids are being taught vices of greed, violence and rebellion...at the simplest level, Pokemon is about accumulation and acquiring power with the attributes of greed...It is common for children to have nightmares and wake up screaming in fear which may be caused by Pokemon paraphernalia in the bedroom.

Among the 151 species of Pokemon, 31 gain control by rage or fury, 21 gain control by slashing or stabbing, 12 are psychic and 65 use psychic energy to dominate others. Pokemon encourages children to defeat their opponents through deception, psychic energy and violence.

So Pokémon is making kids money-mad and aggressive? Sounds like it’s the perfect recruiting tool for future Wall Street traders, if you ask us.

Freemasonry

Bet you weren't expecting this one, right? Back in the ‘90s, a Saudi Arabian fatwa was issued against Pokémon because it possessed the minds of children, promoted Zionism and featured symbols related to Freemasonry.

Here’s a clipping from the period:

Saudi Arabia's highest religious authority has issued an edict banning Pokemon games and cards, saying they have "possessed the minds" of children, promote Zionism and involve gambling.

Saudi Arabia's Higher Committee for Scientific Research and Islamic Law issued the fatwa, or religious ruling, over the weekend.

It said the video game and cards have symbols that include "the Star of David, which everyone knows is connected to international Zionism and is Israel's national emblem, as well as being the first symbol of the Freemason."

Human Trafficking

Just how far would a rabid Pokémon fan go to acquire that coveted card? Quite far, actually. Desperate to get the super-rare Holographic Vaporean card he'd always wanted, 8 year-old Harvey Flexman told listeners on a UK radio station that he was prepared to trade his baby sister Mollie in order to achieve his goal.

To be fair to the kid, he'd already offered his all of his toys, pocket money, Easter eggs and even his bed before finally deciding that his infant sibling would be the exchange to ultimately seal the deal.

Nazi Imagery

Many people seem to labour under the belief that the swastika is an icon created by Adolf Hitler for his German Nazi Party, but in fact it’s a symbol which can trace its history back to 10,000 BC. Pokémon blundered into this particular controversy back in 1999:

Eleven-year-old Stephen Langsam prefers Japanese-language Pokemon cards to the English version. But when he plunked down $6 for a pack last month, he was upset to find one that included what he thought was a swastika.

The red mark alongside the Pokemon characters Golbat and Ditto was a "manji," a mirror image of the Nazi swastika. In Japan, where the symbol predates the Nazis by centuries, it means good fortune and can also represent a Buddhist temple.

But to Stephen, his friend Marc Specht and their Jewish families, it was a Nazi swastika, the spidery symbol of hate and the Holocaust, and it didn't belong in a children's game.

"We thought there had to be something we could do because it can be terrible for children," said Marc's mother, Myla Specht.

Sadly, it’s not just Pokémon which has been impacted by the stigmatisation of this ancient icon. The swastika is rarely seen in the western media these days.

Racism

OK, there could well be ground for complaint on this one. Jynx (also known as Rougela) does seem to be based on a politically incorrect black stereotype:

The character Jynx, Pokémon #124, has decidedly human features: jet-black skin, huge pink lips, gaping eyes, a straight blonde mane and a full figure, complete with cleavage and wiggly hips. Put another way, Jynx resembles an overweight drag queen incarnation of Little Black Sambo, a racist stereotype from a children's book long ago purged from libraries.

Since the character first appeared in 2000, steps have been taken to limit its appearance in the west, including the cancellation of some TV episodes in which Jynx prominently appears. While some people still argue that the character isn't intended to be a black stereotype, it would seem that for once, the criticisms hold some water.

Seizures

This is another scandal that actually has some credence. Aired in Japan in 1997, Pokémon episode Dennō Senshi Porygon grabbed the Guinness World Record for “Most Photosensitive Epileptic Seizures Caused by a Television Show” - 685, to be precise. Thankfully, all of the affected children recovered from the ordeal, but as a result the episode has never been shown outside of Japan, where it caused a four-month blackout of all Pokémon programming.

Spoon Bending Psychics

Psychic, and friend of the late Michael Jackson, Uri Geller - famed for his supposed ability to bend cutlery with little more than his mind - is one of the less likely victims of the Pokémon franchise.

In 2000, Geller attempted to sue Nintendo for a whopping £60 million ($100 million). His claim was that the Kadabra character was in fact an unauthorized parody of himself. Geller also stated that the shapes on Kadabra's chest looked a lot like Nazi SS markings, something which he found even more offensive.

To quote Geller:

Nintendo turned me into an evil, occult Pokémon character. Nintendo stole my identity by using my name and my signature image. I want to tell the world before the start of the holiday season that I have nothing whatsoever to do with these violent characters.

Thankfully, the lawsuit was thrown out of court.

Animal Rights

One of Pokémon’s most recent opponents is the animal rights group PETA, which created its own parody of Nintendo’s series to highlight the unsavoury nature of the on-screen action:

The amount of time that Pokémon spend stuffed in pokéballs is akin to how elephants are chained up in train carts, waiting to be let out to "perform" in circuses. But the difference between real life and this fictional world full of organized animal fighting is that Pokémon games paint rosy pictures of things that are actually horrible.

PETA is no stranger to using Nintendo to gain exposure for its campaign, having previously thrown dirt in Mario’s direction for his wearing of a Tanooki suit.

While it’s a matter of personal opinion as to whether or not the group has any grounds for complaint, the general consensus is that all publicity is good publicity, and the mud-slinging has achieved exactly what PETA wanted: it’s given the group mainstream media exposure.

So there you have it, Pokémon's shady past exposed. Did we miss any of your favourite conspiracy theories or accusations? Let us know in the comments section.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

its hilarious how some ignorant people/groups would go so far to slander Pokemon and use its insane popularity, just to get into the news...

Yarfy

Yarfy said:

Jynx is based on a Japanese fashion style that has absolutely nothing to do with 'blacks'. Although this article was solely created to get hits from controversy, so maybe reality is not important.

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

Haha, oh well. Controversy will be controvesy. No matter what it is, I stick with this beloved franchise through thick and thin, because it's been a part of my gaming life my entire life. :)

Pokemon Forever.

sc100

sc100 said:

Oh by the way, maybe you could do a piece on some of Nintendo's bizarre and shady past. Remember the love hotels?!

Void

Void said:

When I saw this I just knew you were going to include that spoon bending guy. :p

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sakura_Moonlight2421 said:

@Yarfy Your referring to the Ganguro gal culture I assume. I guess I'm not the only one that knows about that fashion trend of tanning yourself till you look golden.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

You can always get a new baby sister... it's all about priorities

Rensch

Rensch said:

Did anyone actually notice how Jynx is portrayed as purple in more recent media outings? The black version has been dropped because of the race controversy.

darkgamer001

darkgamer001 said:

The religious zealots in my country went ape when cards such as Dark Raichu appeared...we even had stories of priests finding and ripping up the kids' Pokemon cards, I'm dead serious

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

I don't know whats scarier, how people can fool themselves into thinking these things or the "proof" they use to back it up. People see whatever they want to see I suppose, which many of these quotes prove.

I knew about the Ganguro inspiration but to me Jynx also reminds me of an islander, you know the stereotypical big, beefy ones.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

This is what happens when you have a craze of any kind. People just like to take any popular culture hit and distort it. Back in the 90's, video games were getting more and more popular, but still easily misunderstood by some adults.

As far as the "swastica", the symbol has been around for a very long time. I've seen swastica-like symbols on the spines of books by Rudyard Kipling. The Freemasonry charge is dumb too. Almost all of these charges are dumb.

I'll just quote Shigeru Miyamoto, "Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock n' roll."

Araknie

Araknie said:

Sure the Nazi symbol isn't stolen from Induism...just this error in the accusations says that i'm not gonna check them all.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

@Yarfy & @Sakura_Moonlight2421

Does this fashion craze cover the appearance of Mr. Popo from Dragonball Z? Totally serious question, I never knew of this fashion until you peeps brought it to light, I just assumed Mr. Popo was a stereotypical black slave.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

This reminds me of that kid that choke to death on the rubber Pokemon ball. Biting away to get the Pokemon in the middle and the parents suing for 100 million dollars. I remember being pissed at the boys ignorance and the parents greed and ignorance.

Ahh Pokemon, good or bad you was always the talk of the town. No other IP had ever got that much attention in the media.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

I agree with the review. Pokemon does have the occult (Satanism) in it along with freemasonry, & psychic's. You guy's can choose to believe it or not but that's just the fact of the game. I noticed that stuff long ago. When I picked up an old pokemon game boy game for 2 or 3 dollar's. I bought the game at the time back in the early 2000 era like 2002 or 2003 to see what all the controversy was about.. All you have to do is play the game boy pokemon game & you'll see it's riddled with the stuff all through out the game.

When I was in school back then people were talking so much about it & the stupid trading card's, & stuffed animal's there was so much of it at my school back then it'd make a person want to hurl seeing so much of it. The principal at the time came very close to banning pokemon from our school back then in all honestly I truly wish they had.

Like I said bought the game to figure out all of the insanity going on at the time. They also had a marathon on WB Kids (TV channel) on saturday of pokemon from start to finish sat & watched the episodes as well to figure out all of the pokemon non-sense. Both the video games & tv show is heavily riddled with occultic symbol's, & psychic's etc. I eventually threw away the game boy pokemon game I had because I didn't want that to be in our house at the time.

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

Many of these reasons are why my parents never let go near anything Pokemon related when I was little. Heck, they still do now and I'm 17! I can understand them keeping me away from the series when I was young and my mind was easily malleable (like any child's) but now I'm almost an adult for crying out loud.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

About the Uri Geller one, you forgot to mention that Kadabra's Japanese name is Ungeller. So Mr. Geller's claims had some basis.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Wow it is kinda crazy to see all of this nearly 10 to 15 years after these stories broke. By the time I started playing Pokemon most of these stories were long forgotten and Pokemon was seen as just a "Kiddie" game, which it really isn't I was 10 at the time I got my first Pokemon and I am now nearly fifteen and I still enjoy them. Sigh, sometimes I wish I had been a bit older in the middle of the Pokemon craze of the late 90's and early 00's.

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

The controversies for Pokemon show just how stupid western culture can be.

I'm not saying Japan is better, their culture is all sorts of messed up but differently. Just that many people seem to think western culture is the morally better culture when we're just as screwed up as everyone else.

WesCash

WesCash said:

I knew about a lot of the stuff in this article, but not all. Interesting.
Crazy people are crazy.

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

What I find amusing about all this is that other games have far more "occult" symbols in them than Pokemon. However, Pokemon was popular, so it got attacked.

-Crystalline-

-Crystalline- said:

ROFL. A swastika? Animal rights? ROFL. Oh, western society, you're so funny. Maybe if you worked hard enough to improve your people's standards and overall level of intelligence, you'd be the ones spawning masterpieces in the world of gaming, and pretty much all other forms of media/art. These people are hilarious, lmao.

Lobster

Lobster said:

This was pretty interesting! I knew about some, but not all. Living in a rural, Bible Belt area, I vividly recall the late 90s and how Harry Potter and Pokemon were both works of the devil... Yeah....

The kid willing to trade his little sister is just cute. :3

randomlypikachu

randomlypikachu said:

You guys forgot about James bikini that gave him fake breasts that could expand. A few episodes where guns were used ... a lot. I thought when nazi images came up there would be some mention of the hitler stache meowth wore in the legend of dratini episode. Oh and censors noted the tentacruel and tentacool episode had several similarities to the 9/11 attacks.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Huh? PETA is an American terrorism group not directly targeted by the US military, not an animals right activist group. Everyone should know that by now.

Moorpheel

Moorpheel said:

Oh haha I remember most of these and I love them, silly people wanting attention.

I also love the little jolly pikachu you pasted on these images lol.

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

Not so fast.
Jynx was not inspired by any black stereotype, rather, by a Japanese myth.
Anyone heard of Yama-uba? Here's a quick description of what it's like: tattered read kimono, golden white hair, old mountain lady, dances to put people under a spell, covers mountains with snow durring winter, inspiration of Yamanba (derived from Yamauba) girls (like Ganguro girls, but much more exaggerated).
Now lets look at Jynx, and see how similar she is:
She has the golden hair, a tattered red dress, she looks kinda like a short old lady, almost every pokedex entry of her's mentions the fact that she always dances, ice and psychic type, yamanba girls look like they've rubbed tar all over themselves. Very very VERY similar, I think.
Everything I said was taken from this video.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

Jynx may not actually have been based upon a full-on racial stereotype, but the fact remains that in its original incarnation it looked very much like a character in 'blackface' when viewed through Western eyes. Obviously they've changed Jynx up since then, and if it had always had purple skin it may not have ever been a problem, but for you guys who complain sometimes re: why it takes so long to have a game localized between regions — this is why proper localization is so important, to avoid these sorts of issues.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

I get some of these like the Nazi stuff but many like the greed and Uri Geller ones I don't really see, you'd think he'd be flattered they would base a character from a popular series on him. Its funny how many of these are based off the anime and card game rather than the games.

The Jynx thing was likely just ignorance on their part, and probably figured if people were fine with the games then there wouldn't be any problems. Strange how nobody in the west though of it, not even 4kids being one of the kings of censorship.

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

Did everyone forget about the supposed "underage gambling"? Your character is allegedly 10 years old, and has access to a casino.

And I heard a rumor about a kid who killed his infant sister with a move he claims to have learned from Pokemon: The First Movie.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

Believe it children... the darkness has come... and it's time to go home...

HAHA. Just kidding everyone, but alot of these claims are ridiculous. The only thing I remember seeing in the show was some sexual references, but never racism, animal cruelty, or anything to be considered evil. They also banned the safari zone ep., giant tentacruel ep., jynx eps., the porygon one, and a crossdreesing one with James, but all these episodes are still on YouTube so go watcc them if you're interested. My mom even said that Pokemon was against God when I was little, and thought that because of other people. She was against Simpsons too, and blamed our bad behavior on things like this. After a while when she stopped letting us watch Simpsons, and we were still being bad, she just realized thats how we were and let us continue to do whatever kid things we want. Kids aren't perfect, and I've seen alot worse. PETA should go protest a Zoo if they want to free them all, and leave a tanookie suit from a leaf alone, and Pokemon. If anything they should be protesting history, stating that hunting buffalo to near extiction forever ago is a crime. Not only in those days(by nature, right?), but also the reteachings of it.

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

@Raylax
After seeing that picture, I realize now why that episode no longer plays in the US...
IT HAS JAPANESE WORDS IN IT!!! :D

SMEXIZELDAMAN

SMEXIZELDAMAN said:

@The_Other_M they would translate it in Americas.

After reading this article I have seen the error of my ways. Just burned all my pokemon cards and gave away my games :O

Suicune

Suicune said:

"Psychic, and friend of the late Michael Jackson,"

I immediately knew he was gonna do something stupid.

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

Well, it does seem a little off that Cottonee is version exclusive to pokemon black and furthermore that the only black elite four member is the "fighting" type...

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sakura_Moonlight2421 said:

@ChunkyDroid Yes guys are included in that fashion culture though they are commonly refereed to as "center guys". So Mr. Popo might be touching upon that fashion trend though more often than not "center guys" are a little less common than ganguro gals.

Void

Void said:

@Raylax (#54) LOL, thats actual how I found out that it could, I never knew of that before.
Now if I could forget that I knew that...

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

MatPat did several excellent episodes explanaining what Jynx was based on. Go watch that.

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@Barbiegurl777
If you agree with the review, then you agree that all claims are ridiculous and unfounded, as was clearly the whole intention of this article in the first place.
If you're serious then I pity you, because truly thinking all these things are true is beyond pathetic in ways that can't even be measured by the human mind...

Then again; if not, then ignore my harsh comment, but sometimes ridiculous topics like this really annoy me, so it's not directed at you personally, but more at people believing this to actually be true in general. (although I would like to make an exception for the good pastor Brett Peterson; he just needs to be put out of his misery, because it's utterly disgusting that he urges people to teach their kids to be scared of cartoon animals and to brainwash them into thinking that they are playing with the devil, what a vomit inducing idiot... )

Freak-Show

Freak-Show said:

People who accuse Pokemon of these ridiculous things are just desperate for attention.

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

@SMEXIZELDAMAN
I know. I was simply mocking 4Kids apparent fear of showing anything related to Japanese culture in their dubs.
@TheRealThanos
Dude, you are going waaay overboard. You may not agree with this (it is laughable), but to say stuff like "he needs to be put out of his misery", that's crossing the line.

Jumpman

Jumpman said:

Shouldn't PETA be fighting ACTUAL animal injustices instead of virtual ones?

scrubbyscum999

scrubbyscum999 said:

I still like Pokemon. Though I feel the Yamauba explanation is the best. Mr Popo from DBZ is a racist character, I still like watching that show. I think is it is something that is a small random part of the game/art/music/etc. it can be ignored. The point of pokemon is catching small creatures so you can become friends. This is coming from an opinion of an African American.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

I don't know if anyone commented or an argument already broke out here but I stopped reading at the Jynx part just o post this. People seriously thinking Jynx was meant to be racist annoys me so much. It Wasn't! It was a tribute/parody/reference to a style of Japanese dance (theatre?) where the women would wear make up that would make them look somewhat like Jynx. Like the rest of the accusations here it holds no grounds other than not being aware of something.
Yes, it was changed to not offended anyone since trying to sort something like that out wouldn't be worth the hassle. Fun read though.

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@The_Other_M
To clarify my earlier comment: I wasn't ranting on this article, but on what I read about this pastor's opinion after clicking the link that was referred to.
Did you also click on the link to see the whole text the good pastor wrote?
To my regret I did read the whole text and what started off as amazement turned to irritation, anger and finally disgust because of what this guy thinks of 'raising your children in a proper way'.

I find such things to be almost on par with abuse and I think it should be left up to the good sense of parents themselves to raise their own children. (provided we are talking about sensible adults of course)

And yes, that may come across as 'going overboard' to people that don't know me, but I'm just very protective of the weaker part of society, so that would be children, animals and to an extent women (because most of them are at the very least partially able to fend for themselves).
And I HATE indoctrination and brain washing, which is exactly what this 'text' (if one may even call it that) speaks of, so sorry if I came across as a raging bull, but as you probably already noticed it really got to me...

HADAA

HADAA said:

@Damien McFerran: It's Vaporeon, not Vaporean.

As a side note, did all of you know that B/W 1 and 2 featured gays and cross-dressers, but they were all edited out in the localized versions? I'm talking about the buzz-creating Ferris Wheel, if you play as a boy in B/W1 in summer, you get to ride with a mountain hiker who loves boys. In B/W2 if you play as a boy in summer, you get to ride with a female caretaker who's actually a man. I'm a little sad when these light-hearted scenes get edited out because people keep demonizing these things when they aren't intended that way at all, like that manji and Jynx.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

i find this so funny yet stupid how these ppl want some attention but the peta one still gets to me yet ppl can have "halloween pet contest" and make there pets wear these ridiculous constumes and everyone is fine with it no harm to pets there right no animal abuse either..

Just10

Just10 said:

Regarding Nazi imagery, Registeel's sprite was changed in the non-English European versions of Diamond and Pearl because its arm position was very similar to the Nazi salute.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

They are right. Pokemon stole our souls! Now we are doomed, and that's ok because Pokemon is awesome

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

What annoyed me the most about Pokemon was that I got a Game Boy Color when I was in high school, and there were never any decent games out in the store because the racks were stuffed full of poke-crap...

Void

Void said:

StarDust wrote:

"... full of poke-crap..."

YOU MADE PIKACHU CRY.
may god have mercy on your soul, because pokefanatics won't.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

@TheRealThanos

Seeing the stuff I saw in the old gameboy pokemon game & watching the pokemon marathon way back when in 2002. All I'll say is I know what I saw in both the video game & the tv show & they both do have occult in them whether you choose to believe it or not.

Think about the origin's of pokemon it originally came from japan long before it made it to the US or the UK. Mistisicm is something along the psychic's etc the japanese believe in. It's part of there culture so in a video game for kids over there it seem's harmless because that's there culture to those of us who are christian's (like myself) this is just not a appropreate game to play for anyone regardless whether a kid or an adult.

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

People are too easily offened, theres nothing you can do about the seizer thing (unless you change the flashs into a bright light instead) but other then that why would a company try to make consumers into enemies?.
Pokemon is all fiction , if your kid is selling his sister or wanting everything, you didn't teach them good enough, the nazi symbol is also the manji and a indian symbol, jynx is based on Japanese fashion and I could go on about this but seriously, people got nothing better to do instead of spotting out stuff and make a big sceen.

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

@Barbiegurl1777
I understand this. While I do not believe Pokemon is the "work of the devil", I do know that there are people who bothered by the psychic and ghost aspects of the series. It is technically the occult. But as for me, I see it all as a simple video game. But not all folks who play the game are alright with that. I'm glad you stood by your convictions. It's always worth it.

NImH

NImH said:

I am really liking the recent number of semi-political articles here on NL. It's really interesting!

rafaelluik

rafaelluik said:

Porygon's one is one of the best episodes ever, I'm happy I could find it on the web after growing a little.

Jynx design was truly compromissed when they changed it to purple.

I hope all these people who started these complaints love off.

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@Barbiegurl777
Thanks for elaborating, and know that even though I am not a Christian, I do respect peoples believes and the extra comment you posted at least made your point a bit clearer, even though I am still only able to see this as a game and nothing else, but if occult references and such bother you, I can understand you would see it in a different way.
And more power to you for not going overboard with it like the good pastor did... :)

Happy gaming to you too! ;)

PSI_King

PSI_King said:

@Raylax now i really know why its not showing on us tvs anymores:boobs and protesting girls(i am a man so i am wondering why james has boobs...)strange :o

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@Barbiegurl777 Anything that looks like an occult symbol is either a misunderstanding (like with swastikas) or a coincidence. There are certainly no "Stars of David," as any stars are 5 pointed and solid. So it has psychics and ghosts. Psychic powers are just a fictional device like any kind of "magic" in fiction. Other forms of unrealism in fiction like sci-fi are no different. Meanwhile, ghosts are just another interpretation of spirits of the dead in Christianity. Even "Hamlet" and "A Christmas Carol" have ghosts in them.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

@BulbasaurusRex,

Your naive to believe that is a mis-understanding or coincidence about occultic symbols in video games. Don't you think people who design & make video games for a living know what there putting in video games? They put stuff in like that because they know a kid will easily let just pass by in the game without really giving it a second thought. But if you were playing it from an adult perspective or a christian perspective it would be much more obvious to you than opposed to a kid. Not to mention kid's are much more inpressionable than adult's another reason why a video game developer would stick stuff like that in a video game. They want the material they put in the video game to have an inpact on who ever is playing what ever type of video game it is.

Magic is NOT fiction. It is real & deal's heavily into the occult with demon's etc. That is nothing to take light heartedly about the black arts.

The old expression:

Playing with fire

People that do magic & take it seriously are asking satan to come into there lives. Where do think demonic possesion comes from?

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Gioku

Gioku said:

@Barbiegurl777: #99
Let me quote for you what Tomorrow Corporation's "PR Rep" said in response to the question of parent's groups being outraged at Little Inferno's "play with fire" premise:
"...We encourage players who can't tell the difference between fiction and reality to not play any video games or watch any movies ever. Otherwise they'll believe guns are fun toys, sling-shotting birds is totally cool, eating forest mushrooms will double your size, and all action sequences take place in glorious slow motion."
So in other words, if you can't avoid being "influenced" by Pokemon, you probably shouldn't be playing any video games or watching any movies (or reading any books, for that matter), because you'll end up thinking things like "...forest mushrooms will double your size...".

@theblackdragon : #100
I agree, but I wanted to put in my two cents. ;)

Shanna

Shanna said:

sorry but I happen to agree that these games are an evil influence ....
be as flippant as you like; but it isn't at all funny.