Behold The Ungodly Union Of The Wii U Pro Controller And SNES Pad

Posted by Damien McFerran

Fusion frenzy

Australian store EB Games has listed a new controller for the Wii U which boasts SNES-style controls. Dubbed the Wii U Controller - SNES version, the design appears to be based on the standard Wii U Pro Controller, but with an additional helping of controls slapped in the middle.

Although the image posted looks legit, the price leads us to assume this isn't an official Nintendo product. EB Games has listed the pad for $48 (that's Australian dollars), which is much less than the price of the genuine Pro Controller (currently estimated at $78).

Obviously we'll have to reserve judgment until we actually get our hands on one, but the SNES portion of the pad looks awfully cramped, and we'd be shocked if it wasn't uncomfortable to use. Will this hybrid controller make it onto your shopping list? Or are you still holding out hope for a proper SNES pad, like the one that was released for the Wii?

[via uk.ign.com]

MrKenta

MrKenta said:

That looks really weird, but I really wish Nintendo would bring back the color-coded buttons.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

Is it not just the same layout as the official controller apart from the start and select in the middle?Or do you think the D-pad and buttons are closer together?

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Hmm I think I'll be passing on this. It seems almost identical to the regular Pro controller. How about you actually give us a proper price for the Pro controller EB Games instead of an inflated guess?

NaturalGus

NaturalGus said:

not a fan of the colorful button display. Maybe its a US thing, but I'd be psyched if they did the grey and indigo buttons instead, like the US Super Nintendo. At first glance this looks like a toy version of an XBox controller. The idea is in the right direction, but I'm not entirely sure if it is what it needs to be yet.

Grodus

Grodus said:

I don't see how it could be more cramped than the Pro Controller. I mean, you add 3 buttons that are reachable and make 3 other buttons practically unreachable? This is unacceptable, at least until you realize all of the said moved buttons pause.

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

How does this look legit? It looks like a pretty simple Photoshop job to me. Wouldn't be hard to mash the two controllers together.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

That image looks far from legit. I severely doubt it's real.
And what is that black part on the top supposed to do?

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

lol when i first saw this i also thought it was a knockoff xbox controller too xD but anyway it does look abit weird and cramped so idk =|

luminalace

luminalace said:

I can't wait to see other 3rd party "Pro" controllers for the Wii U. At a similar price I would consider one but this particular one is just plain ugly even for a SNES die hard like me!

Nardar

Nardar said:

I just don't understand why they just didn't go with making the GameCube controller wireless for Wii U.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

At least its not two shades of purple - I've always thought that was pretty dull. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!?

The four coloured buttons look much better.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Would get it if it were official.

Can't stand anything that isn't made by a first party, be it Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony

SonataAndante

SonataAndante said:

Looks like an SNES controller hot glued onto a Wii U controller. Personally, I think it's hideous. Button layout's not any different so I fail to see the point.

McHaggis

McHaggis said:

It looks fake, if you ask me. I'll stick with my SNES classic controller that I got from Club Ninty Europe.

warvad

warvad said:

>SNES portion of the pad looks awfully cramped, and we'd be shocked if it wasn't uncomfortable to use

It's the exact same layout and spacing as the official Wii U controller, which looks uncomfortable as well.

It's a shame.

Ryno

Ryno said:

I want it for SNES virtual console games but in the North American layout.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

The HORI pad was a union of the SNES pad and the gamecube pad, and that was just a fantastic controller for all those Gameboy games on the Gameboy Player.

I really, really doubt that Nintendo is responsible for this monstrosity.
Then again, they designed the Circle Pad Pro XL.

Rect_Pola

Rect_Pola said:

Ahh, the rainbow buttons. The US didn't get to enjoy such whimsy. We got purple and a different purple. Although it is clean, am I the only one who thinks the modern look of devices is a bit bland?

Varia01

Varia01 said:

When is it gonna be sold in North America, that looks so cool! Perfect way to play Super Metroid to see the way it was.

Gameday

Gameday said:

Id have to say im not feeling the color scheme , i now that classic grey/white for the nes controller but the button colors just throw it off for me. But if they changed the main color on the pro remote i can see it changing my mind lol koo idea to say the least

MeWario

MeWario said:

One of the coolest controllers I have ever seen! I'd buy it hope, hope it is quality made

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Sometimes, I wish they would bring back the N64 controller just to mess with people.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@DrDaisy Is right they're completely the same, the only difference is they moved the start, select, home, and power buttons up and shoved a SNES controller in the bottom.

Looks a bit too bulky to me, to use for the SNES setup at least.

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

I'm gonna call bull on this one. That is most definitely not a controller designed by any kind of ergonomics professional. Looks like a conceptual controller put together by a fanboy with passable Photoshop skills.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

What an odd looking controller.

So happy I've got the SNES controller from Club Nintendo.

Neram

Neram said:

This looks fake, it looks like someone just merged two images of the controllers together in photoshop.

Boyoshi

Boyoshi said:

I just realized... I live in Australia... Defiantly picking one of these up. Btw i think it looks cool :)

Fang

Fang said:

heh, I preorderd this controller before preordering the console...