Fatten Mario's Wallet with New Super Mario Bros. 2 DLC

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Drop some coin on new level packs. UPDATE: Pricing and pack info.

Announced in a seemingly spontaneous Nintendo Direct hosted by NCL boss Satoru Iwata, the packs, all due on 2nd October in Japan and costing 200 yen (circa $2) each, expand on the game's Coin Rush mode. Survival Panic Pack pack promises a set of three very difficult courses, Gold Mario Go! Go! Pack has three easier new stages and challenges players to get 30,000 coins; the third is Challenge the Record A Pack, featuring three time-limited stages where it's all about a high score, which will then be ranked on Nintendo Japan's website. If you've yet to hit 1 million coins, these packs would certainly put you well on the way towards that goal.

Western details will follow, but in the meantime check out the Japanese Nintendo Direct as hosted by Nintendo World Report.

[via nintendoworldreport.com, theverge.com]

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

Well, at least we are hearing news! ;)
good to know we have some DLC going on!

BenAV

BenAV said:

No thanks.
I played the game for a couple of days then was over it, don't really want to pay to play it more.

C7_

C7_ said:

Eh, it was repetitive enough trying to collect 1 million coins; I haven't touched it since. If it turns out to be a deeper experience with coin rush than I'm just picking up from the pictures I might get it, otherwise I'm skipping.

Ras

Ras said:

I really haven't found it to be too short. I'm only able to play for about an hour before bed, so even though I downloaded it the moment it went up, I'm still just about to start on World 6. The size has really worked out, as far as I'm concerned. I only have about 72,000 coins, though.

Knux

Knux said:

And Nintendo becomes another DLC milker! More details at eleven! :O

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

@XCWarrior lol its not exactly a matter of liking the game alot its just a certain course selection in star world i go very fast on repeat over and over again with the highest i ever gotten was 9340 coins, it helps that i can easly get the same course again by selectiing on my record in case i got to turn it off since it was a pain doing that the other way

@Late lol i will be suprised if i got anything at all for maxxing it out which id might already have been close to doing that if i ingored doing everything else beside necessity but i got every other consoles and these muscles arent going to build themselves up you know :P

linkster55

linkster55 said:

Forget coin rush, what i want is Mario vs Luigi (online?) and a new collection of Mini games!

HADAA

HADAA said:

According to the video, the second wave of challenges will be out at the end of October, and the third wave at the end of November in Japan.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Yay~

I like all those people who got the game and seemed to think "I HAVE TO GET 1 MILLION COINS AND I HAVE TO GET THEM NOW", apparently forgetting that the DLC was intended to make this a long-term goal :P good luck reaching that 999,999,999 target guys

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

^ challenge accepted i'll finish it before the end of october you make mark of this Raylax :P

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

the reggie guy said the game complete out of the box meaning anything else is really just extra and doesnt change or add anything different to the story

in otherwords the dlc for this isnt needed for the end goal

WarioFan63

WarioFan63 said:

@LEGEND_MARIOID They've been saying for quite a long time now that if they ever did paid DLC it'd be content created after the game was released so that people don't feel bad with an incomplete experience.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

nobody actualy pays any attention to that as far as i know anyways lol :P i'll just post it on topic forum thats already there now when i reach the goal

Haywired

Haywired said:

"If you found the rather good New Super Mario Bros. 2 to be rather short, you may soon give its lifespan a 1-up with three new level packs." Sounds suspiciously like the sort of DLC that people were complaining about, that Nintendo "totally wouldn't ever do"...

I haven't played NSMB2 yet, so I don't know if it's short (though I don't mind if games are short), but if this one is shorter than normal and they're now charging for DLC level packs, then it seems a bit fishy...

Of course, you may have used the word "short" regarding someone's opinion, rather than saying that it actually is, in which case, ignore me.

Mollutje

Mollutje said:

@Haywired It may have sounded that way, but Nsmb2 had the most levels in any Nsmb game to date, plus a damn load of hidden exits in those levels. Even if despite that you can blast through it pretty fast after a few times, it certainly didn't feel like an incomplete game, so I wouldn't say this is the wrong type of DLC. The fact that these levels are only coin rush levels make them feel much like a bonus as well.

So.. they said what these packs will cost in Japan right? Can anyone give an estimate what that'll translate to for us?

Haywired

Haywired said:

@Mollutje
Ah right, so the "short" comment shouldn't be read into too much after all. I guess it's OK in that sense then (still against DLC though).

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

This is the first announcement of DLC that I'd actually be interested in spending money on, were I to have the game. $6 for all that? Nice indeed.

Wonder what more is to come.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

These DLC packs look like a lot of fun!
I don't really need them for coin collecting purposes, I've already hit the 30,000 coin cap in 5 different ways (starting with course 2-4, 3-4, Mushroom-1, Flower-3 and Star-1), and right now I'm at 5.5 million coins thanks to that ridiculous trick discovered on World 3-4.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I was thinking $2 was a good price for them when they were first announced. I currently only have 200,000 coins, so I'm far from the one million goal. I might get these once they come to North America.

Windy

Windy said:

39.99 for downloaded game then 2.00 for DLC OMG this is going to the dogs. It maybe time to get on out of here

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

Here is the News @ 5;
Nintendo are ripping of there customers....especially early adopters,
also still on Nintendo the Wii U will be getting a price cut this time next year, remember you heard it here first..

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

A lot of the comments on the YouTube video are very negative. Hardly anyone seems to understand that New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a complete game and that this isn't something that was held back from the game at all, but was designed after the game's release. It's also entirely optional content that in no way affects the main experience, which is complete. Some people yet are hatefully saying that this game shouldn't have DLC at all. Why? What is so wrong with that? I can't enhance my experience of this game just because you're an arrogant prick and don't want me to? These are the same people who complain about New Super Mario Bros. 2 being "too samey". Well, then why would you want this to be a new game instead of DLC?

Pfft. Fanboys rarely make sense.

TheN64Dude

TheN64Dude said:

Okay Gold Flower Pack is going to be more addicting than crystal Meth!!! I LOVE GOLD MARIO!

Henmii

Henmii said:

So basically 9 new levels for 6 Euro. If it stays that way (unlike Square-Enix who are still releasing new DLC EVERY week), then it may be worth it! I feared it would be more expensive, knowing Nintendo!

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I just wish we didn't have to speed through these new levels because of the time limit. I hate that about Coin Rush. Yes, I understand that that is where the "rush" part comes in, but I'm not a fan of being rushed myself.

Vallu

Vallu said:

Why coin rush? Why not to the actual game? I think coin rush is just pointless but it's only my opinion. I'm still wondering why did they put a 30 000 coin limit if they wanted to make competition.

Shock_Tart

Shock_Tart said:

you know i seem to remember them saying somtehing along the lines that they are against making dlc in their games. now they are doing it?