Nintendo Download: 19th July 2012 (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Kid Icarus, thievery and puzzles

Update details were slower than normal today, but we do now have a mixture of 3DS VC games, a couple of mystery eShop titles and some good-old DSiWare to look at this week. Let's get right into it.

3DS Virtual Console

Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (Game Boy, Nintendo, $3.99) — Before his high profile 3DS appearance with Kid Icarus: Uprising, this Game Boy title was Pit's only previous appearance on a handheld. This sequel to the cult classic on NES actually fixes some of the issues that made the original so brutally difficult, though this isn't a walk in the park itself. As our Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters review explains, this is certainly worth a download for fans of the series.

Tumble Pop (Game Boy, Data East, $2.99) — If you don't know much about this one, don't worry. This arcade platformer tasks you with defeating a variety of monsters and enemies by sucking them up with a rather powerful vacuum cleaner. A game with a mix of both strategy and puzzling, our Tumble Pop review explains why this one is best played in small doses.

eShop

The Phantom Thief Stina and 30 Jewels (Agetec, $4.99) — This title has come as a surprise this week, and is a real-time strategy game played from an overhead view. The objective is to steal jewels from 30 stages while avoiding capture, at which point you unlock more levels where you play as the detective trying to catch the thief. Is it actually any good? We'll have a review for you soon.

Masyu by Nikoli (HAMSTER Corporation, $4.99) — Carrying on the series in the Nikoli brand, Masyu is a grid-based puzzle where you tactically draw lines through spaces while adhering to tricky rules. With Stage Clear and Random modes, we'll get our thinking caps on and bring you a review.

Game of the Weekend

Mario's Picross (Reduced to $2.99 from 9am PT on 20th July to 9pm PT on 22nd July) — A modest discount of $1 this week, with a bit of Mario puzzling getting the sale treatment. It's the well known puzzle game with a Mario touch, and as our Mario's Picross review says, it may have enough puzzles to last you a good while.

DSiWare

Rabi Laby 2 (Agetec, 200 pts) — A sequel to the thoroughly decent puzzle-platform hybrid Rabi Laby, but this time at a lower price. You're tasked with controlling both Alice and Rabi to clear stages, and we'll get cracking on a review to determine whether it's worth a look.

Petit Computer (Gamebridge, 800 pts) — Undoubtedly one of the most unique apps to hit DSiWare, this title enables you to use BASIC programming code to produce your own games. Even if you're a novice this promises to help you to learn, and there'll be options to share work through Wi-Fi or specially generated QR codes. We'll be making games and bringing a review to you soon. In the meantime check out the official website which has examples of code and lots more info on offer.

Nintendo Video

Dinosaur Office: Sick Day (available 20th July, 3pm PT) — Craig takes a sick day to stay at home, but that doesn't stop his nosy coworkers from interrupting his precious R&R time.

So, is there anything for you this week? Let us know in our Facebook poll.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

FINALLY. Kid Icarus M&M. Kind of lost the big want I had before for it, but I still am going to get it now!

CrispyGoomba

CrispyGoomba said:

A little disappointed with the game of the week sale. I'm not complaining about the game choice, it's just that a $1 knock off doesn't seem fit...like the first sale that they did with SML. Anyways, definitely downloading KI. Can't wait for Wario Land next week!

Hokori

Hokori said:

Actually pit also appeared on handheld for GBA via classic Famicom Kid Icarus, well in japan at least

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

Next week is the mystery week isn't it? With only SML3 Wario Land listed. I'm guessing that will be paired or tripled with the game gear games.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I'll pick up KI:oMaM later. Its not 2.99, the cheaper price :( . After that, nothing.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

Great week for eShop! Next week will be even greater on 3DSDL games with Dot Runner Complete Edition (Dot Eater New Pickdun) and Planet Crashers supposed to come! :)

Dodger

Dodger said:

I want Petit Computer.

Get Mario's Picross if you don't have it yet. Great game. I'm still working through it.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I hope Petit computer gets released in Europe at some point and I think Kid Icarus: Of myths and monsters should have been the featured game, not Tumble pop.

accc

accc said:

Rabi Laby 2 = steal of the century at $2! Seriously, anybody who's interested in puzzle-platformers needs to check it out. (And the original, too.)

Bazly

Bazly said:

Wooo! Kid Icarus and Petit Computer for me today, possibly Tumblepop as well!

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

That the game of the weekend didn't result in a more dramatic price-drop is mildly disappointing, but Mario's Picross itself is a great game. Those $3 will last you quite a while.

And if I had any time to play it, I'd download Kid Icarus today. Oh well, it'll always be there later.

Samholy

Samholy said:

oh yeah. tumble pop! this was
FREAKING LAME

but mario picross is interesting,but after playing picross DS with a stylus,its gonna be hard to go back to the basics. oh well. cant have too much picross :-)

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

@Bass_X0 Harry Chapin was my dad's favorite.
Would get Mario's Picross if I hadn't already picked it up w/ CN coins.
Tumblepop is intriguing, as is the Phantom Thief game. A good week.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Might get Kid Icarus, and I'm a little disappointed Planet Crashers isn't out. I was kinda looking for that one.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Maybe Petit Computer, &/or KI:OM&M, &/or TP. I don't know. Maybe I'll just wait for WL:SML3. @CrispyGoomba - I agree. $1 off doesn't really encourage me to purchase the game. However, while I'm talking about it, only $3 off is really close to not encouraging me, either. Actually, I thought about it recently, & the $3 off leaves me w/ just enough to purchase a DSiWare app, like the Nintendo Events Calender, for example. I guess, though, Nintendo hopes ppl look @ it from the perspective of those saved $3 adding up over time to make enough to get a really expensive d/l. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there is a sale, & $3 (off) is better than $1 off. I just wish it was more like $4, or $5 off, instead of just $3. But, I appreciate it's there, anyway. :)

Vann

Vann said:

Petit Computer seems quite interesting (didn't know anything about it until now). The sale is so so, seems like nintendo doesn't like to lower its prices (the games that get great offers arent from the big N itself).
The phantom Thief looks kind of lame, at least the trailers.
The next week its gonna be AWESOME!!!!

Fabian

Fabian said:

Why does NA always get 2 Eshop Games while EU gets one or none every week.Sometime I hate living in Europe. And the worst thing is that my most wanted dsiware title of all time (Petit Computer) wont ever come to Europe.Next time I buy the Vita 2 If things won´t change quikly

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Nice week again. I know alot of people have been waiting for KI:oMaM so alot of people will be happy. Personally I am waiting for next week to grab me some Warioland.

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

Darnit, I really wanted Kid Icarus: of Myths and Monsters, but now I gotta save up for a new DVD drive. Oh well.

RogertheDumplin

RogertheDumplin said:

KI: OMAM!!! I've been waiting since the 8-bit summer was announced. But of course I'm not at home all day so I'll have to wait til tomorrow... Sigh. I might get petit computer depending on the review.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@Fabian Have you forgotten that this was all part of a promotion and that the EU 3DS VC is still larger than North America's on nearly all systems it features? Seriously, they're essentially playing catch-up...

I really think your complaints are unwarranted.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

@Red_Kinetic maaaaybe it'ss beeecauuse theeey taalk liike thiis... raaaaawwr...

yes you may be the only one, i think they're clever

btw, new Theatrhythm Final Fantasy DLC songs are out today:
Fight On! FFVII
Battle Theme FF XI
Etro's Champion FF Series
Battle 1 FFIII

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

got tumble pop and the thief game,didn't play tumble pop for long(will later)but I like the thief game and hope theres more dlc.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@Red_Kinetic No. I'm not a fan of it, either. I'd prefer a Youtube app, as opposed to the Nintendo video app, or better still, 100% up-to-date/current Flash support for the 3DS (web) browser. Actually, I wish Nintendo would overhaul their web browser to have more functionality, than it currently does.

Edit: @theblackdragon ~ The game probably has @ least,... well maybe, 1, or 2 interactive tutorials.

Knux

Knux said:

I've been wanting to try Of Myths and Monsters for quite some time. Hopefully it'll be fun unlike Kid Icarus I. Petit Computer being out is a sweet bonus! :D

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

Okay, so I DLed Petit Computer and then found out it doesn't really have any tutorials. I waded through the help manual without really feeling like it helped, and now I'm going to spend the next few months looking up how to code in BASIC just so I can use this app. I know some web languages, but that's not gonna help me here... so I'm off to go learn more programming. XD

CommanderAudio

CommanderAudio said:

@coolvw No RCR this week. Or the week after that. Or the week after that. Or the week after that. Or the week after that. Or the week after that. Or the week after that. Or the week after that. Or the week after that. Or the week after that. But maybe the week after that, because the world will have ended, ant the chances of it releasing will be at an all-time high.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

@Flowerlark,

I too downloaded Petit Computer thinking it might be not extremely hard to understand once again dead wrong & a waste of 8 dollars. I deleted the app already out of frustation with it telling me about goofy computer programming stuff if I have time to go messing with this later in the year I'll redownload it later this year maybe. But in all seriousness was not that impressed.

Not downloading anything else until New Super Mario 2 hit's the e-shop on august 19th the rest can go on my wishlist until then.

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

ejamer

ejamer said:

I wonder how many people are going to be totally frustrated with Petit Computer. It's a really awesome little tool (going by first impressions) but far from user friendly if you aren't already familiar with coding. That said, I was generally impressed by the quality of the built-in manual and sample code... it doesn't teach you how to program, but gives you a lot of information to work with if you already know the basics (harhar).

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

@Red_Kinetic aside from 2 I haven't enjoyed them.

Well time to go at Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters, unless I play The Sword of Hope II instead, that one from last week is fanstatic. I'll looking into the game on sale but I'll likely pass on it.

Edit: NEW PUZZLE PANEL! Kirby's 20th Anniversary Puzzle

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

I made my first PetitComputer program!
Untitled
It's just a sound tester for those who want to hear all the sounds and songs included, it's pretty basic but I like that primitive feel.
I thought programing with the touch screen would be worse, but it's actually very fun.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

So glad that we finally got Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters today. I will probably be picking up Rabi Laby 2. I was thinking about getting the first game but now that this one is out and it is only 200 points it is a no-brainer. Oh and I'm talking about the price, not the gameplay. ;)

RR529

RR529 said:

Just finished up the Sword of Hope II, so going to be getting KI:oMaM today.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

It's ALL about KI:OMaM for me, I've waited so long. How come that's not the poster child over Tumblepop for this weeks update? Eh, minor pick. I'm thinking about Petit computer as well. I've already got Mario Picross, so I'm good there.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

If there is a new Legend of Zelda anime coming soon, I want to see a preview of that on Nintendo Video first just like the Kid Icarus anime.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

If there is a new Legend of Zelda anime coming soon, I want a preview of that on Nintendo Video first just like the Kid Icarus anime.

KryptoKrunch

KryptoKrunch said:

I'll be getting Kid Icarus. I recommend Mario's Picross, I got it through CN but at 2,99 it's still worth it.

kobe1724

kobe1724 said:

Does anybody look forward to any new Dinosaur Office episodes as much as I do?

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

I'm interesting in everything except Petit Computer ( Not into programming), Mario's Picross ( Have it through Club Nintendo) and Masyu ( I"d rather just play the puzzles online). Always good to see another Dinosaur Office episode.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

@theblackdragon,

In all seriousness the sample game's it came with weren't to bad but I thought just maybe I could program my own game in the dsiware app for some kick's you know have a few good laugh's at my own creation's. Who know's... Yeah re-download it maybe to play other people's games but that'd probably be it. Sorry... was just excepting to get more use out of the app than I did.

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

I'm gonna need that Petit Computer review. Besides, I only have 300 points left after DL'ing last week's Ace Mathician. Gonna have to buy a new $20 card if I am to buy Petit Computer... but I am definitely curious to how user-friendly it is.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

@CrispyGoomba - Well I'd say it's still a great deal. I've got 29 hours logged on Mario's Picross, following only Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7... :/

TheConsiglio

TheConsiglio said:

Going to get Kid Icarus: Of Myths And Monsters, Tumble Pop and Probably Petit Computer. Already Got Mario's Picross Via Club Nintendo.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Not a great week but nice to see Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters is now available.

Froggievilleus

Froggievilleus said:

I already have Mario's Picross but will probably pick up Masyu since that is the first puzzle game by Nikoli that isn't on their puzzle cart.

ejamer

ejamer said:

@Janett
You might not enjoy Petit Computer, but don't base your decision on 1-star ratings. Those are just bitter people who spent their money without having any idea about what they were buying - sort of like giving Colors! 3D a low grade because all you can do is draw, when Swapnote already lets you do that for free. (i.e.: These people are missing the point.)

Petit Computer is a programming tool, not a game. It's not something like WarioWare DIY or LittleBigPlanet where you use a few tools to create a playable level. Instead, you have to actually know (or learn) how to program and do everything yourself from scratch. For some people that's really cool because it offers tremendous flexibility and the ability to realize your own vision; for most people it requires more effort and commitment than they are willing to put forth. Figure out which group you are in before buying.

That said, if you do buy and later find out it's not something you enjoy then be patient before giving up on Petit Computer entirely. You can still play any games or applications that other people create and share via QR codes, and it's possible that you can get $8 worth of entertainment out of that alone.

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

I'm kind of view Petit Computer as a puzzle to crack at this point. I never learned any computer programming, but it's entirely within my cranial capacity, so now I WANT to learn it so I can make my own piddly games. X)