Angry Birds Could Be Flocking to Wii U and 3DS

Posted by Trevor Chan

Any guesses why?

Rovio has recently told Eurogamer that it is "looking at every console" as a potential platform for its popular Angry Birds series, and with Nintendo platforms alone, the studio has been floating the idea of a handheld and a WiiWare release. With the recent hardware unveiling that took place at E3 2011, Rovio truly does sound like it has its eyes set on every console.

Already very popular on iOS devices, smartphones and portable devices, the physics-based puzzle games utilise touch controls as players catapult birds into various structures in order to rack up points. Rovio's vice president of franchise development Ville Heijari, pointed out how the Wii U and its tablet-style controller had generated interest from the studio:

We really haven't looked into the Wii U specifically yet - we haven't announced anything for Nintendo consoles yet. But if you look at the control methods, if you look at the Wii U, I mean that's a really, really natural match, so obviously we're very interested in developing there as well...

It's not just the home console that Heijari is interested in as the 3DS is another platform that he feels is suitable for the Angry Birds style of gameplay:

[The 3DS is] a really really interesting platform... Many people doomed it outright as it being somehow gimmicky, but obviously the same thing as with the Wii U: if you look at the 3DS, Angry Birds games would make a perfect match there.

[via eurogamer.net]

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

"We haven't announced anything for Nintendo consoles yet."
Well they sure made it sound like they did, considering how many people took their hints as confirmation and have been waiting for the Wii and 3DS versions.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

DrKarl

DrKarl said:

If you have the chrome web browser installed, you can get it for free:

I thought it was alright, but I didn't get hooked. I played the first 3 levels or so, and have not touched it since. Your mileage may vary.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Would instabuy Angry Birds 3DS. Provided it's an eShop title, anyway. There's not enough in the formula to flesh it out into a retail release.

Ren

Ren said:

It's simple, fun. Great mechanic. try it free on the chrome browser.

Yeah, why wait? it should be simple to port over to Wiiware/ 3DS.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I find the success of Angry Birds to be one of those freak, oddball occurrences that makes little sense. I got it for iPod, played it for all of 15 minutes and never touched it again. It's SO repetitive to me. The stages really don't change, the gameplay only changes slightly the further you go, it's the same ol same, over and over again. Just not my thing.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

The same company that called Nintendo games "cheap plastic things?" You just keep changing your attitude, eh Rovio?

pikku

pikku said:

What Sushi said. Oh, and on an unrelated note, I want World of Goo released on eShop also. It's on every other system, so why not?

Yogsoggoth

Yogsoggoth said:

Aren't Rovio's 15 minutes of fame up yet? Angry Birds is one of the most over rated games to ever hit the market. It is seriously the pet rock of the gaming industry.

Bugpy

Bugpy said:

Don't care for all the hate comments about Angry Birds, because I love it. I love the challenges and different range of levels and physics. I didn't like that it moved to the Mac App store or Chrome because I can't play it as well as with my thumbs. I don't want it to move to every platform available, I'm perfectly fine with the range of new levels and games for the iphone, but repeating levels on a new platform doesn't appeal to me

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

How about a game called "Angry North American Wii Owners"? Title needs some work? Ok. How about "Kill Reggie: Vol. 1"?

Ren

Ren said:

It's a genuinely good game, so I agree theres no reason for all the hate, but it's true Rovio needs to show us that it can do something else if they want to milk this hit.

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

It's really not that great of a game, but I would buy it right away on the eShop. It's addicting, but is very simple.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I will never understand the success or appeal of this game. It's just another that shows me the industry headed in the wrong direction as garbage like this becomes massively popular but there are some actual good games that can't draw an audience. It's sickening.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I just tried out the chrome version and it was a lot of fun but definitely isn't worthy of the mass of praise it gets. Although I probably would get it if it came to 3DSware depending on the price.

Punny

Punny said:

I'm guessing because Angry Birds is already extremely popular everywhere else, so naturally it should head to Nintendo consoles, too. Plus, the Wii U controller kinda looks like an iPad, so it should go together like bread and butter. :)

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Rovio shouldn't waste their budget on Angry Birds.
I love Angry Birds as much as the rest of the world, but what are you supposed to do with the 3D screen. And you can't really make the game 3D because it's touch screen. And I don't think you can make a 3D game with the 3DS like a book.

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

the physics side of it is good played a few levels then left it its to simple to get stuck into but i would have it on 3ds for short bursts

Crunchy_in_milk

Crunchy_in_milk said:

Can't say I support this, not only do I not even like the game from what I've played on my cousin's ipod. Plus the fact that I feel Peter Vesterbacka is one of the biggest egotisical jerks in the industry, judging by what I've read about him.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

@7
When they said that, it just made me think they don't find their own games to be that valuable.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

I'm still not interested- as people said to me "If it was on DS, 3DS or whatever, you'd get it."

Hm, nah. Not interested. At all.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

A few months ago, I was torn between getting an Iphone for Angry Birds or getting a 3DS for Pokemon and a cheap Nokia phone. I chose the latter and don't regret it, but this would make it an amazing choice.

At Koops3

You do have a point there. The game then should be only playable on the lower screen; or both screens should have the same information, so what you aim in the lower screen gets replicated real time, in 3D in the upper screen. Without the touch option, it is not worth it.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Angry Birds is fun, but is HIGHLY-overrated. I haven't seen this much crappy merchandise for a game since Pokemon.

Noend

Noend said:

I remember when the same premise was passed around e-mail some 10 years ago. I think you flinged penguins or cats for distance back then. Here you have targets and different flingers. It's not bad, I downloaded it for free on android and played about 10-15mins. It's a stretch to call it a game.

NiaLovesNinty

NiaLovesNinty said:

Angry birds is pretty addicting and has a hilarious premise. It's not meant to be serious. Lighten up, folks. Lol. It's messed up what that guy said about Nintendo, though...

melechofsin

melechofsin said:

angry birds is a pretty pathetic game. It's a free game available on google chrome now. It's just the old cannon angle and power aim games I used to play in Windows 3.1. Genius marketing though.

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sakura_Moonlight2421 said:

Have it, played a little bit, got bored of it so backed it up to itunes and deleted it to make space on my ipod. I didn't even know there were other add ons for it. Oh well.

rdvid

rdvid said:

I have this game on iPad and iPod Touch, I only love it on the iOS systems but I dont like to see it on a 3DS or Wii becouse I guess its gonna be to expensive

tekaronhiakha

tekaronhiakha said:

Imagine launching the birds from the Wii u controller onto the tv screen kinda like the ninja stars in the demo. Sounds like money in the bank to me lol. Or even controlling a type of birds flight path using the motion control and screen. I actually see the Wii u making any game better, but whether or not developers do it is another thing.

Henmii

Henmii said:

"I keeping hearing stuff about Angry Birds what is all the hype about is it that good of a game?"

From what I have seen/heard it's very simple, but addictive stuff. Nothing original. Very basic graphics. But fun and addictive gameplay.

Maybe I'll try a version someday, but I don't want to pay to much!

JustanotherGamer

JustanotherGamer said:

If Apple was smart they would buy the rights to Angry birds. Not let Nintnedo have it. But it would work well on 3DS and Wii U. Angry Birds is fun game but is also of a throw-away nature. Which is why it does well on smart phones.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

The game is great but the devs are massively arrogant and think they rule the world.

IS it coming to WiiWare or not then as these lot indicated...cos I'd be very interested.

Edwrd

Edwrd said:

I do like Angry Birds, I'm guessing it'll be 500 points if it ever goes to the Wii/DS Shop Channel. the game is $4.99 on the Mac App Store and .99 on the App Store, not that I crave more, no I've had quite enough myself actually hehe.

Mukkinese

Mukkinese said:

Never played Angry birds, but hey, the more the merrier. The wider the genres and play-styles that the Wii U can incorporate, the better the machine will do. I think it is a bold experiment by Nintendo and I want to see it succeed.