Wii Just Couldn't Handle Sonic Generations

Posted by James Newton

Not up to the task

Sonic Generations is coming to 3DS, and there was much rejoicing, but Wii owners are still nursing the disappointment that theirs is the only current home console not set to receive the spiky speedster's 20th anniversary celebration game. In an interview in this month's Nintendo Power, Sonic Team boss Takashi Iizuka reveals why:

The primary goal for the console versions of Generations was re-imagining the series' classic zones in vivid, high-definition graphics. The Wii hardware wasn't a good fit for that concept, so we abandoned development on that, and decided that for our Nintendo audience, we would make a fresh start with a N3DS version of Generations.

This isn't the first time Wii's lack of graphical grunt and true HD output has prevented a multiformat title from making the jump across, but it's still disappointing that this celebration of Sonic's 20 year career won't be coming to Wii.

[via gonintendo.com]

odd69

odd69 said:

i think i have to agree, perhaps they could port it to the new home console later on?

Tethers

Tethers said:

They said the same about Sonic Unleashed, before they made a Wii port...

Davidmoreaux

Davidmoreaux said:

Its to bad I really wanted this game but its probley for the best because otherwise we will get a dumbed down version and feel like where getting half a game.

Link79

Link79 said:

I bet the reason the 3DS can handle it is because it's not going to be the same version. Probably a watered down port or a half assed attempt to appease Sonic fans. The 3DS isn't HD either so explain to me how it's going to be so much more capable than Wii?
It'll probably get ported to Nintendo's next console anyway.

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

Well, I'm sure sega knows best.

There certainly isn't any market on the Wii for 2D/3D platformers

...Wait a minute...

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Well, it's not that the Wii wasn't truly capable as much as it's audience is shrinking. Plus while the other consoles are HD, 3DS is 3D so in a sense it can still match their vision more or less.

Tails

Tails said:

@5: Jump that was hilarious! Also I agree with Link79's response. I think Project Cafe will get a release for it. If it doesn't the 3DS version will still be cool. Heck it could measure up probably great like the console versions. 3DS Sonic would be really cool.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

They probably could've picked up a lot more purchases from the Wii, but, oh, well. Hopefully something like this doesn't happen again when the Wii's successor is on store shelves.

thebluelight1

thebluelight1 said:

@Link79 because it's on a smaller screen it's able to look good with less resolution.

Sonic's been best on handhelds for years anyway, Sonic Rush is in my opinion is one of his best games, so I don't really care if it's not on Wii, I'd rather get a handheld version anyway.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

That seems a little ridiculous, considering the best games of Sonic's 3D career have been on Wii. Secret Rings, Colors, and the Wii version of Unleashed ended up being the best of the multi-platform versions.

I'll still pick it up on the PS3, but I'm disappointed in this decision.

Pod

Pod said:

The guy's talking aubergines. :-/

Colours looks way better than the 2006 Sonic the Hedgehog on the HD consoles.

But, eh, If there's a PC version, I won't complain.

AmarMah

AmarMah said:

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

Face it guys, the Wii is dying down and going away.

Is that a bad thing? Absolutely not because we have a new Nintendo console right around the corner.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

I'm grateful that its coming to 3DS at least but this is a load of BS. If the 3DS can handle a version of Generations, so can the Wii. Wii has been the host to Sonic's most successful home console games in the last 5 years so I don't really see the logic here but ok then. I guess Sega doesn't want money... :/

multiplayermadness93

multiplayermadness93 said:

there not releasing it on we because it would be a terrible port like how sonicunleashed was ported. im not saying that it wasn't a good game but this game really focuses on speed versions of classic stages so obviosly sega just didnt want to mess up

Pj1

Pj1 said:

It's such a shame! maybe Sega could consider a version for project Cafe!! also it's Sega pretty much saying the wii is dying.....

Do a good job of Episode 2 for Sonic 4 Please Sega.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

We really don't need more Wii titles that look worse than Donkey Kong Country Returns, thanks Sega.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I'm reading between the lines here I know but:
"The Wii hardware wasn't a good fit for that concept"
says Wii2/Stream/Cafe development to me. Anybody have a list of games that came out on both the Gamecube and Wii (besides the obvious TP)? I'm guessing it's a short list. I'm guessing it will also be a short list for Wii and it's successor, SS and dance games.

nasachi

nasachi said:

lol Sega

seeing other great Wii games i'm sure a better developer would be able to bring the game 1:1 with just lower resolution to Wii

Knux

Knux said:

The Wii is dying so it's obvious that it's losing third party support. I will probably buy the console and 3DS versions.

EdEN

EdEN said:

Well, I've got enough Wii games for now so I wouldn't have bought it anyway.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Let's face a couple of facts:

1) Not unlike several other developers, SEGA has a vision for their game and they want it to look and be the best it can be... the resources they have to dedicate to creating a "less-than-what-they-intended-but-still-playable" Wii version doesn't seem worth it to them, though there's umpteen million Wii's sold across the world currently

2) The 3DS is more powerful than the Wii and on par w/ the PS360, so shifting architecture is much easier and less costly. Though obviously many of us would still buy it for Wii, they (and other developers and their HD created games) don't care enough to do us any favors, so this, combined with a newer more powerful Nintendo console on the horizon, is a factor that we all will have to accept.

Development for a dying system's fruit isn't worth the sowing.

melvin2898

melvin2898 said:

The Wii doesn't have enough power. If you want a watered down, horrible graphics, piece of crap game ask them for it. Otherwise get it on another system.

nasachi

nasachi said:

@30:
"SEGA has a vision for their game and they want it to look and be the best it can be"

in that case they should make it exclusive to PC-gaming, cause meanwhile even an average machine is miles ahead of PS3/360/Wii

bonesy91

bonesy91 said:

ugh, I see company's are still treating the 3DS like a DS in terms of gameplay. "Sigh"

Wolfenstein83

Wolfenstein83 said:

Wait, so they want to make a 3DS version, but not a Wii version?
I don't get it, because the graphic capabilities on both systems are pretty much the same.
Although, the 3DS may look a little nicer because of the smaller screen, you can't see so many of the imperfections.
Probly holding off until the Wii 2.
Also, I totally agree with MasterGraveheart.
Isn't gameplay more important?

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Agree with the above.

Sega could've have made a Wii version if they really wanted to. Lazy. Do us a favour and bring it to Project Cafe ffs.

CerealKiller062

CerealKiller062 said:

@15

"what a load of bull! come on sega, and everybody else for that matter, I just have to look at some wii titles to know its rubbish. If young kids keep pushing this graphics and download rubbish then gaming will be a very expensive hobby or interest. So called hardcore gamers and these sony and ms companies are influincing 3rd parties to produce over expensive games, and allowing them to give you half the games and sell more to you via download! I could show you loads of examples of this and thats one of the reasons third parties dont sell on ninty plats! how dare you sega I was such an admirer of you but now you and others are just letting me down!"

I bet that is the reason Nintendo isn't such a fan of DLC. Cause they will charge you tons for DLC that should have been included in the first place. EG(Call of Duty)

Henmii

Henmii said:

Oh man: They where developing it for the wii, but abandoned it. And instead they came with a substitute for the 3DS!

Sega: Bring the proper Sonic Generations game to the Stream IMMEDIATELY!!!

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

Of course the Wii couldn't handle it, only cartoony graphics look good on the console and Sonic is... oh nevermind.

But it all comes down to sales and the HD versions of Unleashed sold 1.5 million combined, where as the Wii version only sold about 1.8 million on its own so.... oh nevermind.

It is clearly great business sense to not put your franchise on the platform that it sells best on. It makes me wonder why they fell out of console manufacturing when they are that astute.

NINTENBOY

NINTENBOY said:

What?! I can't believe this s#it!! I'm not a sonic fan esspecally on the Wii but this is FU%KING BULLS#IT!! So just because they don't think the Wii graphics would look good enough for the game your just gonna stop all development for the Wii version!! Oh but putting it on the 3DS will make up for it ARE YOU FU%KIN SERIOUS SEGA!! Just admit it Sega the real reason you didn't make it for the Wii is because your a bunch of LAZY FUDGE HEADS!!

This is probably one of the stupidiest things Sega has done, I mean only a complete moron wouldn't put their francise on the platform it sells the most!! It makes no sense and I really am tried of this S#IT from 3rd party developers on Wii.

Who ever wrote this article you should really change the title from "Wii just couldn't handle Sonic Generations" to "S#it head developers to fu%kin lazy and stupid to make Generations for Wii" I think that's a much better title wouldn't you all agree?

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

I agree with those who suggest that this was a decision based on costs, not graphical horsepower. Not only has the Wii had all of those 3D Sonic titles, with some impressive visual results, but also Sonic 4 on WiiWare, which also looked pretty good. This looks like PR spin, which is a pity.

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

It wouldn't suprise me if it is actually announced later for 'Project Cafe' and Sega couldn't list it because the platform doesn't have an actual name yet.

It still is silly not to have a Wii version though, as the Wii and 3DS are close enough in terms of power that a multiplatform version for the two systems would probably sell more than one version alone.

It's also a bit of a kick in the teeth for Wii only owners, considering that Sega have sold more games on the platform than any other this gen (not just Sonic games either), in fact I would guess that it would be about a 7:1 ratio if you totalled up all the Sega games.

Henmii

Henmii said:

"It wouldn't suprise me if it is actually announced later for 'Project Cafe' and Sega couldn't list it because the platform doesn't have an actual name yet"

If that's true (wich I hope), they could lay our worries to rest by just saying: It comes to Nintendo's next console. But they probably don't do that, because that would diminish the interest from people in the 3DS version A LOT!!

moosa

moosa said:

This game doesn't even look appealing, let alone anything different from what they've been making for the past, I dunno, 5 years?

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

It's funny how multiplatform games that weren't on Wii are being ported to the 3DS. Like how the 3DS launched with Super Street Fighter IV, but the Wii never had it. But I think Sonic Generations will be a little downgraded on the 3DS. Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition was the same game with extras, except all the people in the background are static. It doesn't look as cool when everybody in the background is a statue...

Henmii

Henmii said:

"But I think Sonic Generations will be a little downgraded on the 3DS"

It will be a different version (a substitute), so I am still hoping we get the real deal on the Stream!

JustanotherGamer

JustanotherGamer said:

So the Wii is not technology able to do Sonic Generations. Now I want to rent this game to find out why? I have the other 2 consoles of this 7th generation of videogame machines. So I can play Sonic Generations.

The 3DS will have a 3D version game length shorter. I guesst it is not worth the money to port it to the wii at this point.

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

"The Wii just couldn't handle Sonic Generations." And so only the 3DS can? The Wii is more powerful than the 3DS, Sonic Generations would've been a perfect fit! >:(