Nintendo's Upcoming U.S. Release Schedule Gets Updated
Posted by Trevor Chan
Metroid: Other M and Sin & Punishment: Star Successor get pushed back
Summer is slowly on its way and with it, brings the annual wave of big releases. Sadly though, the pace at which the tip of this wave is arriving is rubbing off on some highly anticipated games. Nintendo has just informed us that whilst some titles have been marked with release dates for the first time, some titles have also been pushed back. Here's what's happening with upcoming U.S. releases.
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor will now launch on 27th June, while Metroid: Other M picks up an even bigger delay with a revised release date of 31st August. On a more positive note though, the upcoming months sees a wealth of download titles on WiiWare and DSiWare; with significantly more titles on the latter. Among them, Photo Dojo will be available for free download from the DSi Shop between 10th May and 10th June, after which the game will cost 200 points. It's been out in Europe and Japan for awhile, so read our Photo Dojo review and Photo Dojo preview to learn what you can expect.
The latest press release covers the most up to date launches for Metroid: Other M, Sin & Punishment: Star Successor, Photo Dojo, Earthworm Jim, BIT.TRIP RUNNER (just to get into the mood you'll want to re-read our preview), Looksley's Line Up, Frogger Returns, Metal Torrent (be sure to check out our preview), X-Scape, Hero of Sparta, Flametail (read the preview), and A Kappa's Trail (we've previewed this one as well). Here it is in its entirety:
Nintendo Updates Release Schedule
Nintendo today updated information for some of its key upcoming software releases, including several new titles that previously had not been dated. Sin & Punishment™: Star Successor and Metroid™: Other M will now launch for Wii™ on June 27 and Aug. 31, respectively. The coming months will also be packed with releases for the WiiWare™ and Nintendo DSiWare™ services, highlighted by the wild interactive fun of Photo Dojo™, which will be available as a free download to all Nintendo DSi™ owners with broadband Internet access from May 10 through June 10. Starting June 11, the game will be available for 200 Nintendo DSi Points™.
- Sin & Punishment: Star Successor (Wii, June 27): The incredible new shooter game from legendary developer Treasure, Sin & Punishment: Star Successor features nonstop action with two playable characters and international online leaderboards to track high scores. Using the Wii Remote™ pointer functionality, the game offers unprecedented precision in the shooter genre. Broadband Internet access is required for online features.
- Metroid: Other M (Wii, Aug. 31): Developed for the Wii console through a collaboration by Nintendo and the world-renowned Team Ninja, this newest installment of the Metroid saga looks at the classic franchise from a new perspective: While much of the game is reminiscent of 2-D side-scrollers, players can switch the perspective into 3-D at any time as they explore the twisting passages of a derelict space station and delve deep into a cinematic, never-before-told story of bounty hunter Samus Aran’s past. This new approach uses a new control scheme in which players use the Wii Remote controller, held sideways, to battle enemies and navigate the expansive, gorgeous environments in classic Metroid fashion, then aim at the screen with the Wii Remote pointer to blast foes in first-person and hunt the world for clues and hidden passages.
For WiiWare and Nintendo DSiWare (broadband Internet access is required):
- Photo Dojo (Nintendo DSiWare, May 10): Get ready for some seriously fun Kung Fu action – starring you! Create your own characters and record the sound effects using the Nintendo DSi system’s camera and microphone. Use your imagination to set the stage for a fun-filled fight to the finish. In a special introductory offer, Photo Dojo will be available for free download via the Nintendo DSi Shop from May 10 to June 10. Starting June 11, the game will be available for download for 200 Nintendo DSi Points.
- Earthworm Jim (Nintendo DSiWare, Gameloft, May 10): The classic action platformer is back with a never-before-seen feature, exclusively on the Nintendo DSi system. Run, gun, swing from hooks with your head, launch cows, bungee jump, rocket through speed levels and more, in crazy universes that offer huge game-play possibilities. Earn bonuses with facial expression-based challenges that track your face using the Nintendo DSi camera. Put on a smile, frown or make a variety of other faces to mimic Jim.
- BIT.TRIP RUNNER (WiiWare, Aksys Games, May 17): Marking the first character-based adventure for CaptainVideo, the newest installment in the BIT.TRIP series features rhythm-based action platforming, more than 50 challenges to complete and a pounding chiptune-inspired soundtrack.
- Looksley’s Line Up™ (Nintendo DSiWare, May 17): In this unique take on hidden picture games, Looksley the rabbit needs your help to find inspiring objects so he can finish the story he’s writing. The objects are hidden in 3-D dioramas made up of cutout layers that shift as you move the Nintendo DSi system. Unique Nintendo DSi camera-based controls let you peer deep into the game’s scenes and hunt for hidden objects just by moving the Nintendo DSi.
- Frogger Returns (Nintendo DSiWare, Konami, May 17): Frogger Returns takes the challenge of the arcade classic Frogger and brings it to the Nintendo DSiWare service for the first time. Classic top-down 2-D game-play is updated with colorful 3-D graphics, a new perspective, new levels, new enemies and game-changing power-ups to dodge and grab.
- Metal Torrent™ (Nintendo DSiWare, May 24): Compete with players around the world for the highest score in this new action game inspired by classic arcade shoot-’em-ups. Convert enemy bullets into score-generating cubes. Continuously absorb cubes to create score-accelerating combos. Download replay videos from top players via Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection, or if you make the top five scores, upload your own video.
- X-Scape™ (Nintendo DSiWare, May 31): Take on an epic space adventure in X-Scape. As captain of the VIXIV, a highly advanced space tank, you’ll roam the surface of dozens of alien worlds, battling the forces of an empire that is out to destroy you. The touch screen makes controlling your vehicle a snap, and your helpful robot companion is there every step of the way to help you with advice and weapon upgrades.
- Hero of Sparta (Nintendo DSiWare, Gameloft, May 31): Battle like the fierce Spartan warrior you are to avoid a tragic death as you journey through mythical lands and even probe the depths of the Underworld. You will fight the most phenomenal monsters from mythology, defy Minotaurs and the Cyclops, and challenge the gods themselves!
- Flametail™ (Nintendo DSiWare, June 7): Clean up the space lanes of floating garbage with the starship Flametail. As you wind your way through the mind-bending obstacle course, your flaming tail will ignite the piles of rubbish to eliminate them. But be careful to not get caught in a dead end, or let the barrier that’s following you reach your tail. This puzzle action game is easy for anyone to pick up and play.
- A Kappa’s Trail (Nintendo DSiWare, June 14): Guide a little mythical river spirit to the human world with your Nintendo DSi stylus in this puzzle adventure. Draw a trail, and the little “kappa” will follow. It’s up to you to ensure he makes it through the gauntlet of enemies and treacherous paths of the Kappa Trail.
It could be a blessing in disguise though. We're sure you have plenty of games that need finishing off before tucking into some new ones.