New Zelda for Wii Confirmed for Release in 2010

Posted by Anthony Dickens

Dust off your tunic, you'll be playing a new Zelda game on your Wii before the year is out.

You are now less than 365 days away from a new console Zelda game. Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata confirmed to Japan's Asahi Shimbun daily today that the Wii Zelda sequel, first revealed at last year's E3, will be released this year.

Truth be told we weren't sure Zelda would see the light of day in 2010, thinking that Super Mario Galaxy 2 might just edge it as the AAA title from Nintendo this year. So it comes as great news that Iwata-san has confirmed the release for Wii in 2010, however if we're to see it outside of Japan this year is yet to be seen.

Expect a lot more information about the unnamed Zelda title over the coming months, especially around E3.

[via uk.wii.ign.com]

Trevor_Fox

Trevor_Fox said:

I was wondering about the release outside of Japan as well, but I'm still super excited by this news! =D

Nathan

Nathan said:

Well, it's about time we heard more on this. I'll be glad to spend hours and hours of my life with it.

Machu

Machu said:

So it will be out in 2011 huh, having suffered the traditional delay that Zelda games always do. Wow, super sweet. :/

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

Don't hold your breath. It's going to get postponed and released in 2011 instead. Mark my words.

Besides, who are you gonna believe on this subject? Iwata, or Miyamoto/Aonuma? (The latter two have more of a "it's finished when it's finished" approach).

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

@Machu...Yes.
If it actually does make it out in 2010 (and it's not broken to meet a release date, which luckily is something Ninty doesn't generally do with Zelda), then this will be the year of awesomesauce.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

I'm too familiar with Nintendo to not be a tad skeptical about this. I'm sure they intend to release Zelda this year, but I still fully expect it to get pushed back into 2011.

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

Still interested, but I won't get hyped up for this as I won't have a Wii to play it on launch day. I'll be happy to pick up a year or two later, though :)

Rensch

Rensch said:

Let's hope it comes around here before the christmas season. I can't wait for this game!

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

I share the skepticism that we'll see this outside Japan in 2010. However, Nintendo rarely makes statements like this. At the very least we'll get to SEE it in action around E3, right?

Where is Metroid Other M supposed to fall in the release schedule. Is it me or did that game look at least half finished when it was revealed 6 months ago. (I remember when Metroid was a forgotten gem - thank you Retro! ... and thank you Nintendo for taking a chance with Super Metroid)

Mario Galaxy 2 is probably delayed because Nintendo realized they won't be able to release it with non-orchestra music without a huge number of fanboys boycotting the game (I kid, I kid).

Seems like we should be hearing about one of these coming out VERY soon if they are all going to make it for 2010. Was there ever a year a major Mario, Zelda and Metroid came out at the same time?

If anything delays anything, it's going to be the runaway success of New Super Mario Bros Wii. From a marketing perspective you probably don't want to release Mario Galaxy 2 until later this year... mid year maybe? I could see Nintendo waiting to make it another Mario Christmas which would definitely make Zelda a 2011 game. That's one scenario anyway.

Best case scenario is Metroid very soon, Mario mid-year, and Zelda Christmas. Yeah, that seems VERY unlikely, doesn't it. :(

xDlmaoxD

xDlmaoxD said:

I owned the zelda game, and past zelda games but never played it more than a few minutes and never touch it again. I guess I'm not a zelda fan

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

it hasn't been confirmed for america most likely it will be out in jpn this year and we will get it next

BL_Donth

BL_Donth said:

That's awesome. Looks like 2010 is going to be a great year for the wii with games like this, Metroid: Other M, Super Mario Galaxy 2, No More Heroes 2 etc.
If it's coming out late this year, it's cool. I have enough games to tide me over.

pixelman

pixelman said:

What a pleasant thing to wake up to this morning. NintendoLife, I think I love you. What an amazing year. Zelda Wii, Metroid: Other M, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Monster Hunter Tri 3, Golden Sun DS... am I still dreaming?

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Probably late 2010 then eh? I hope its done properly and brilliantly. I'm not bothered when its released tbh.

Draaknar

Draaknar said:

I highly doubt it will be released this year. I see "confirmed" and "2010", but what I don't see is an actual date.

mushroomer

mushroomer said:

I hope they dont dumb it down for casual gamers.. Like they did with NSMBWii.. I beat that in less than a week. Now collecting dust.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

So Mario, Metroid, AND Zelda this year? Awesome. Throw in Star Fox and release EarthBound 1 and 2 (coinciding numberings with the Mother games, people, lol) on Virtual Console and it's all good as gold... not that it isn't already.

Wow, this with Monster Hunter Tri, HeartGold & SoulSilver, and all this? Fan-flippin-tastic.

siavm

siavm said:

This is good news. And looking how we got the last zelda on wii and ds before japan, this game is coming out this year for everyone (mostly).

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Sorry for another post, but... No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Ace Attorney WiiWare, Mega Man 10, The Sky Crawlers (could be big), Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon, a new Bonk... throw that in with HeartGold & SoulSilver, Monster Hunter Tri, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid: Other M, the new Zelda, and others... it's gonna be a good year for Nintendo gaming. :)

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

This is good news. I just started playing Twilight Princess finally a few weeks ago and it's good so far. The most Cinematic Zelda yet. My only real criticism is the huge empty environments which they said would be addressed in the next one. I also hope they slightly reinvent the series because despite me loving Zelda I feel a bit like I've been playing the same game for two decades. I also think I'm the only person on the planet who would love to see some inspiration from Zelda II. Some true RPG elements and some more non-linear gameplay would be a breath of fresh air for Zelda.

Objection

Objection said:

Setting aside whether NA or EU actually sees the title this year, 2010 is looking fantastic. I weep when I think about how I'm going to pay for all this goodness. (Maybe become an Air Pirate and loot it from others ;) )

moomoo

moomoo said:

Let's see...
Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M, and this? Everyone should own a Wii after this year.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

This year has SOOOOO many awesome games coming out. SMG2, Metroid, and now Zelda? Nintendo's finally back.

timp29

timp29 said:

This is shaping up to be a 'me fail university' year with solid releases like this. If Diablo 3 comes out, I am just going to have to un-enroll.

I thought Galaxy 2 would be very close... sounds like they already created a fair bit of content for it during the making of Galaxy 1. Also, I too am skeptical about a 2010 release for zelda unless they have been working on this in secret since 2008.

Rhansley64

Rhansley64 said:

So we have a Mario game: Super Mario Galaxy 2
a Zelda game that's still need a title: the Legend of Zelda Wii
a Metroid Game: Metroid Other M
a Pokemon game: Pokemon Heartgold and Soulsilver
a Golden Sun game: Golden Sun DS

5 most buy plus Game of the Year potential i'm impressed o and new IP's like Monado and Glory Of Heracles Thumbs up for 2010.

BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat said:

If you want to get my attention this time, Link will have to be a girl.

Maybe even a black one.

Flandy

Flandy said:

I have a feeling its gonna get delayed but if it does come

When it come out though I hope it comes bundled with Wii Motion Plus
since i probly wont have it by the time it come out.

Hmm maybe they could make a motion plus bundle and one with out

postmanX3

postmanX3 said:

By '2010' Nintendo probably means 'We'll delay it some 20 times.'

Still, I can't wait!

TehGamerXeo

TehGamerXeo said:

I guess I can be patient. After all, spirit tracks just came out; let it soak in.
What did Link look like before his diet? 0_o

Mabbit

Mabbit said:

Metroid, Mario, and Zelda? then Golden Sun DS and hopefully Pikmin 3?
why it seems nintendo took all of 2009 preparing for 2010!

charly_rozen

charly_rozen said:

Yeah sure! (sarcasm) I predict an announcement from Nintendo: "New Zelda Wii delays to Spring 2011" or something like that.

JimLad

JimLad said:

Suddenly we're getting a concentration of quality titles, akin to the first 2 years where we got the latest Zelda, Mario and Metroid. (and Smash Bros/Mario Kart)
If only they had spaced them out better, we might not have had such a big drought in between.
Oh well...
Hopefully this will sell even better over time than Twilight Princess, due to the amount of Wiis out there now.

georgieporgie

georgieporgie said:

if it does make it out for 2010, it'll come out on December 31st at 11:59 P.M. id actually rather they spend a lot of time on it and make it awesome then play it this year, i dont mind waiting til 2011 if it'll be a better game

regalrosebud

regalrosebud said:

Okay, then how come I can pre-order it from game stop saying it will come out in 2010? Your all being a bunch of know-it-all downers, saying that you basically lost faith in nintendo and expect the date to keep on changing, well if you think that STFU! Okay hun? :) All you people out there that love zelda games and still have faith in nintendo, awesome. Maybe it is coming out in 2011, but game stop is very close with nintendo, and if they say it's 2010, it's 2010. Try pre-ordering it and ask about it, for proof.