Sonic Boom Games Now Have Their Official European Release Date, Shadow Confirmed

Posted by Alex Olney

New trailer and character reveals, too

Update:

The Sega Blog (thanks Max) has also unveiled a Gamescom trailer for the Wii U entry, and also confirmed appearances in the game for Shadow and Metal Sonic, below.

Original Article:

Both Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric for Wii U and Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal have finally got a solid release date for the European gamers who want to take this new Sonic out for a spin.

If you want to grab a copy of either of these games, you'll be able to from the 21st of November this year. North American fans will be able to play the 3DS and Wii U versions on the 11th and 18th of November respectively.

The 3DS outing looks to be a solid Sonic game with interesting tweaks to the gameplay that has been well received by many people. The Wii U version is a bit of an oddity in comparison, many individuals have stated that the game is a strong departure from Sonic's usual style and some have not reacted well to the drastically different gameplay. Having said that some people actually liked the 2006 reboot creatively titled 'Sonic the Hedgehog', so frankly it may be best to try the game for yourself.

Will you be getting a copy of either of these? Perhaps you're getting both, but whatever you standpoint, please let us know below.

Related Games

JeffreyG

JeffreyG said:

Man, that new trailer got me hyped for Rise of Lyric! It's going to be hard to deside which games to get and which to skip the coming months...

jrwchil

jrwchil said:

I'm not sure about the Wii u version but I end up buying it if only to support SEGA as they are one of the few third party devs left putting stuff out for the console. Not the best reason to buy a game but I could be pleasantly suprised.

TheHumbleFellow

TheHumbleFellow said:

Rise of Lyric is the first Sonic game in a while that I've been genuinely excited about. I always thought that it was time for the series to make some changes.

Shattered Crystal on the other hand doesn't interest me much.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

Looks interesting, I have Rise of Lyric preordered though the possibility of being so close to Smash Wii U (HMV thinks it'll come out 28th November and there's some rumours about 21st November) concerns me that this will flop sales wise. This game could have done with coming out in August to help eliminate the game drought.

@GloverMist I liked Sonic '06 outside of how glitchy the game is. Got all the achievements for it though the Silver levels were rather frustrating for S rank.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I am interested in the U version. I have heard comparisons with Sonic Adventure, my first and favorite 3d Sonic. I hope it delivers.

AlexOlneyStaff

AlexOlney said:

I must admit it reminds me a lot of the old comics, the world just feels a bit more believable than more recent games where it's basically Earth.

outburst

outburst said:

LOL my comment got lost when I posted it in time for the update in the article including the new trailer.

I hope the Wii U gets at least an 8 if Thomas will review it. I hope the changes in the gameplay formula doesn't affect the score. I don't care if they change it since I only played those Megadrive Sonic games back in the 90s.

GuyWithTheGames

GuyWithTheGames said:

@GloverMist sonic fanboys, you know who i'm talking about. according to them, the series gas been on decline since 2010 only and opinions on this depend on which "era" of fan you ask

Tysamu

Tysamu said:

I'm not messed up that this Sonic game is a great departure from the traditional style. This is similar if not the same situation that happened with Sonic Lost World.

The devs stated that it's a sub series, a different reality of the same character so that's what saves it for me. All it is giving the action part a larger importance over the platforming and speed. I'm glad that they've at least made speed sections for going in between hubs

GloverMist

GloverMist said:

@ModestFan93 I'll second that! In all honesty, I haven't actually played Sonic '06, but I've seen the Game Grumps play it, and that's enough for me!

Back on Sonic Boom, I'm actually really looking forward to playing Shattered Crystal - it looks super fun to me, and I don't mind the new character designs!

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Sonic's "personality" on this trailer showcases exactly why I want Nintendo to keep Link and Mario as semi-mute characters. Jeez.

Someone please tell me there will be a way to turn off the character voices during gameplay without having to flat-out mute my TV. Someone? Please?

LUIGITORNADO

LUIGITORNADO said:

If I had children maybe.

Never been a sonic fan. I was excited for Lost World, and bought it, and was disappointed.

Not again.

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

The trailer makes me laugh that it announces "no boundaries!" then shows clips of the on rails running sections

S3OL

S3OL said:

@MrWalkieTalkie Not really, since that'd be a bad move marketing wise. Shadow is a favourite for a lot of people and I personally don't see the problem that people have with him.

@LUIGITORNADO The problem is that you started with Lost World, which is quite possibly the worst Sonic game after '06. I understand how you feel. I'm still recovering from it myself.

@ricklongo Ever since Sonic's voice actor has changed, his whole persona has also changed. I miss Adventure Sonic.

arnoldlayne83

arnoldlayne83 said:

The trailer looks good, the graphics too and the enemies design remember me the Gehk from W101.... I'll follow the game and wait for some reviews...

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Hope it ends up being good ,the humor seems a but forced Roger doesn't sound like the best voice actor to crack jokes like that

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

OK, I was on-board for these new character designs, but this is where I draw the line. Shadow NEVER smiles!

Nah, just kidding. This looks pretty dang good.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

@SamirMalik Older audience nothing. Only people who like Shadow are 8 year-olds who think they're "edgy" and "dark" and are all "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ME, MOM!"

And then they go on Deviantart and show everyone their "original character" named "Shadow Star the Hedgehog, my original creation DO NOT STEAL!"

SamirMalik

SamirMalik said:

@MrWalkieTalkie Talk about a narrow mind. I'm 18 and Shadow is my favorite male character (and I never talk liked that.) Blaze on the female side.
He's strong and knows it, somewhat corrupted and no nonsense and will go to extremes to get what he wants. Even if it means overkill. Yet he does have a soft spot for Omega and Rouge. Also, he's 50+ years old. Imagine somebody that age trying to talk to 15 year old Sonic the Hedgehog.

Here's one thing you don't know about Earlier 3D Sonic games. Their style of storytelling was like a shounen manga. You know, manga mainly aimed at teen boys and oftenly having some mature themes. It's only recently that sonic has been aimed at children again but Sonic Boom plans to divide the two demographs so SEGA can go back to Shounnen Sonic when Sonic Team makes it.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

At least they didn't mess up shadow's design, to be honest he's the only character that i actually care about in the sonic series.

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

Good thing they kept Shadow's and Metal Sonic's original design they look cool but I think Espio, Silver, and Blaze would've been cool seeing too but I think that's fair enough.

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

I thought that Metal Sonic and Shadow would be the fan-favorites that they were talking about. Looks like Metal is ready to get into a shin-kicking contest.

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

Very cool! I'm really looking forward to giving this a spin.
...Geddit? Spin? Ahem. :P

I'm glad to see Metal and Shadow are here. I wonder how Shadow will fit into this world?

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

They ruined Shadow's loner image by adding smile to his face, and Metal Sonic is suffering from the same long leg syndrome as Sonic, which sadly should match up because of Metal being a robot match to Sonic.

Alucard83

Alucard83 said:

I would love to see a Mario and Sonic adventure game. No olympics or something, but a real adventure game like their dimension is sucked up and they have to work together. That would be awesome. Hint hint hint

Beau_Skunk

Beau_Skunk said:

Y'know, Metal Sonic has never appeared in any of the Sonic TV shows, aside from the OVA anime "Movie." (Which was actually a 3-episode anime video mini-series in Japan.)
So it's great to see him in the show. Nice to have Shadow back to, though I think he should wear a scarf, or something to. ;) Hehe

Metal does appear quite frequently in the officially-licensed Sonic comics though, despite not getting many animated appearances.

Rapwned

Rapwned said:

SEGA, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. THEY NEED SPORTS TAPE. LOTS AND LOTS OF SPORTS TAPE.

arnoldlayne83

arnoldlayne83 said:

I feel Sonic games are the only ones in which fans (or supposedly called fans) analyze the game with surgical precision and start to rant to anything possible.... the smiles on a character, the length of his legs, the particular unknown actor who dub him, the color and model of the shoes... jesus... let the game come out and evaluate it for the fun (or not) it brings you...

River3636

River3636 said:

I do have a shimagi Fetish, but sonic platforms have been a little lackluster as of late and a good majority of people feel that way.

BlackSpy

BlackSpy said:

Crud.
Don't care how bad this game is, I'm getting it regardless....when I can afford it.

SamirMalik

SamirMalik said:

@Imagamerboi Because compaired to everybody else he's not very athletic. He skates around on rocket heels to keep up with Sonic and uses Chaos Emeralds to atrack when he has his power stablized with his gold bracelets. But he sure is strong.

Iggly

Iggly said:

I was expecting Shadow to have a huge change like long arms, but I guess his new smile fills the void of no change. ;)

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

In additional to horrible character designs they had to go and include the worst and most pointless Sonic character ever created, Shadow the Hedgehog.

Metal Sonic is a nice addition in a way, but Shadow just puts me off of even thinking of buying this. Good that the old Sonic cycle is not going strong with this project as at least I don't have any expectations about this one.

Since it's not even releasing in Japan, this can be considered as a spinoff side project.

WalupeachyTime

WalupeachyTime said:

@S3OL I apologize, but I have to disagree with you on Lost World. Lost World wasn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. It's fine if you didn't have fun with it, but saying it's worse than Sonic 06 is stretching it.

On the topic of Sonic Boom, both games got panned in previews in an issue of Official Nintendo Magazine, with the writer of the preview stating that they break The Sonic Cycle by not being good to begin with. Between that and gameplay trailers of both versions, I don't know what to expect with either Shattered Crystal or Rise of Lyric. I'll just have to find out myself at release.

S3OL

S3OL said:

@WalupeachyTime Don't worry about it, I welcome different opinions. I think Lost World hit me so hard was because I was expecting it to be great and the best Sonic game yet and whatever else... Until I actually played it. The only thing I enjoyed was the dialogue (some of it). I thought the level design fell flat and everything felt too linear.

I don't know man.

Sparx

Sparx said:

The only thing holding me back from preordering it is the mandatory combat sections....

only reason I put up with them in the adventure games and heroes was because you could easily smash through the enemies without losing too much time if you knew what you were doing

S3OL

S3OL said:

@Sparx The combat sections are what could be this games downfall to be honest, especially if it stays so slow. Hopefully there's a level up system or power-ups that you can collect that'll speed up the process.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

They need to touch up these graphics Lost World looked much better tgan this even if it did have a simple art style

WalupeachyTime

WalupeachyTime said:

@S3OL
I understand where you're coming from with Lost World. It was very heavily advertised as the best of Sonic and in a way (even as someone who enjoyed the game) I felt at some points, it did indeed fail to deliver. Particularly with the story. Why were the wisps never mentioned despite being in the game? How did Eggman find and control the Deadly Six? Why am I looking into a Sonic story so much? Anyway, thank you for respecting my opinion.

S3OL

S3OL said:

@WalupeachyTime It would have been a waste of time arguing over something like a video game, so no problem. That's one thing that bothered me too, why were the wisps even there in the first place? .-.

WalupeachyTime

WalupeachyTime said:

@S3OL I'm assuming it's to provide a link between Lost World and Colors/Colours. The latter being a game that Sega seems pretty pleased with considering both the wisps in Lost World and Planet Wisp appearing in Generations.

ninjalink

ninjalink said:

K, very important question. Do you guys think the sonic boom song is gonna be in it?cause it be a bummer if its not

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

I felt fairly let down by lost world and this doesn't look half as good as that so I doubt I will be in a hurry to pick this up, I'll wait for some more footage and reviews

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Ugh, they are trying way too hard on the humour angle, and the jokes fall flat every time.

Chouzetsu

Chouzetsu said:

Why is Shadow smiling? Shouldn't he be scowling and mumbling something about "True Power"?

Tritonus

Tritonus said:

I'll be getting the 3DS version, and depending on that experience, I might give the Wii U version a shot. Hope it has some cross-platform features.