Nintendo's Italian Twitter Feed Shows off a Super Smash Bros. Double Pack for Nintendo 3DS

Posted by Matt Suckley

Two-hit combo coming to Europe

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS is going to be very popular in local multiplayer; that's inevitable. Interestingly, confirmed by a packshot tweeted by Nintendo of Italy, Nintendo is attempting to cash in on that idea with a Smash Bros. double pack.

The package, which is yet to be confirmed outside of this tweet, looks likely to contain two copies of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS – one for you, and one for a friend / would-be adversary. If this is released in wider Europe then it's definitely something worth considering for a pair of hardcore Smash fans.

Providing the price is right, of course. A single copy of Smash Bros. for 3DS is priced at €39.99 in Europe, $39.99 in the U.S, and around £34.99 in the United Kingdom. So it'll be interesting to see how this double pack is priced – we reckon it'll have to be a reasonably noteworthy saving in order to make any major impact. But what do you think? Would you go for this Double Pack if it's released in your territory?

[via twitter.com]

johndevine

johndevine said:

Second hand copies could be cheap if this ends up having a lower retail price than 2 copies.

Thuggy

Thuggy said:

i dont see this happening selling 2copies in 1 box for a cheaper price they wont get profit

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Well that crazy. You would think at the very least it would be a dl code.

Soon the companies will start to give the games away for free and charge us for dlc. Mark my words it's coming. We already see this with the Disney Infinity. They will make more off you buying the portal and figures in the long run.

Yosher

Yosher said:

I think I read somewhere earlier that it's pretty much the second copy for half price, but I'm not sure where I read that. If I had to guess though it's likely just 10 bucks off of the price that you would normally pay for 2 copies, and that's not such a bad deal either.

ekreig

ekreig said:

They should do something like this when the Wii U version comes out. Both versions together for a reduced price.

Dodger

Dodger said:

Makes sense for families with two or more kids. It is dumb enough that you have to buy more than one copy of handheld multiplayer games when one console game can do multiplayer. I need one copy of Brawl to play with any amount of people, counting rotation mode, but between myself, my dad and my sister, we will likely be buying 3 copies just to do a 3 player match. Oh well, it will still be worth it.

Sugar_Crunch_BD

Sugar_Crunch_BD said:

@johndevine the copies will have a sticker saying 'not to be resold seperately' and they will have different packaging. Like with the tloz ss special edition, you couldn't take the special Wiimote and trade in the game seperately

PrincessSugoi

PrincessSugoi said:

Not for me, but neat idea for two friends or siblings who might want the game and goes half/half on this two pack.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Hope it comes to NOA and this is cheaper than 2 separate copies.

If thats the case, me and my friend will get this.

mystman12

mystman12 said:

Hmm... If this game doesn't support download play, and the price is right, I might get this so my sister can play with us. She's not going to buy her own copy otherwise.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

The tweet state clearly "two copies at a discounted price", really hope it's gonna be a interesting offer, but in Europe retailers makes the final price...

Paying 70€ (35€ each copy) it's what I expect at best, not so shocking, but 10€ of discount for each copy is better than a (falcon)punch in the stomach XD

Plus it should be a easy offer to share with a friend, I know few people with a 3DS, but this is no niche title at all :)

WreckItRyan

WreckItRyan said:

I think $59.99 would be the smart price. BUt I was going digital anyway, so I can have smash wherever I go!

Baker1000

Baker1000 said:

Disappointingly, if this true it looks like this iteration of Smash Bros won't have a recognised subtitle...just Smash Bros for 3DS/Wii U. Sounds like such a boring, indistinctive title.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

@Captain-Falcon That doesn't actually stop it from being sold, some places like CeX, GAME and most of the internet you can sell/trade-in even when it has "Not to be resold separately".

Jayvir

Jayvir said:

If it comes at a slight discount, I'll pair up with a friend and just buy a double pack

Nintendofan83

Nintendofan83 said:

This has families written all over it. Mario Party is nice in the fact you only need 1 copy of the game to accommodate four local players. If you know you need/should/have to (etc) buy this game, any discount is A-OK in my books. I'm actually leaning towards buying the new SSB 3DS XL (that is rumoured to be coming out) and a physical copy of the game. I already have the ALBW 3DS XL from last year so I can play local player that way.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

I usually go digital but since I can't see another game in the slot after I get it I might get a physical copy.

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

I'm sorry, but this seems like a stupid idea. What is the point?

Besides, I already pre-purchased my copy.

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

Unless of course it has a pretty significant discount... then I guess It would be worth it.

umegames

umegames said:

DLC confirmed if there's any savings of $5 or more on this. Nintendo is willing to take a small revenue hit for the sake of selling more software, and they have faith that DLC will eclipse that loss and then some. Business smarts 101

Inkling

Inkling said:

Let me guess. £54.99 in the UK, $59.99 in the US.

Anyway I'm getting this pack because I really want a friend of mine who just got an XL to play Smash

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

Nice box but 1 game i hope this has online multi player when will nintendo get the idea the world now is online multiplayer games as older players play on their own as friends have grown up and don;t play anymore.

FlaygletheBagel

FlaygletheBagel said:

I really hope this doesn't mean there won't be download play. But I have a sinking feeling there won't be.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

I'm betting it will be at least 50% more, so if it was €39.99 for a single one, you can probably expect this to be at least €59.99

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

Sooooo I guess this means the Smash Bros. 3DS won't have Download Play...

R-L-A-George

R-L-A-George said:

Looks like an opportunity to give people a bonus for buying more than one copy. Such as for a friend's Birthday or holiday present.

Henmii

Henmii said:

To be honest, I hope Nintendo has a special offer for when you want both versions. Like, if you buy one version you can download the other for free. Because if I buy both versions, I basically buy the same game twice (with the only significant difference being the stages).

Expa0

Expa0 said:

I was planning to buy 2 3DS versions anyway so this would be golden for me.

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

@Henmii I think they will have something like that but it'll only be 20% off or less. Nintendo knows that this is a huge game and they will take advantage of that as much as they can (for example, Earthbound). Unfortunately if there is a discount it will also be exclusive to the digital versions.

A realistic expectation for price for both the Wii U and 3DS version is around $80 (digital only).

rjejr

rjejr said:

I have 2 sons who each want 1 so even if its only a small discount its still a savings for us. If it comes to the US of course. Though to be honest so many retailers near us have B1G1 1/2 price sales that we would never buy 2 at full price anyway. And of course GC can sometimes come into play as well. I think the economy has improved just enough for the B1G1 free sales to disappear though, even for NFC toys.

Im surprised they dont do this with the Pokemon pairings. I know the japanese may tend to buy both versions but Ive never met anyone in the US who does so, but if they sold them so the 2nd was half price then maybe people would?

Henmii

Henmii said:

"Unfortunately if there is a discount it will also be exclusive to the digital versions"

Well I think it is possible that if you for example register the retail Wii u version, that you get a discount on the 3DS digital version. But we'll see.

Manaphy2007

Manaphy2007 said:

well i dont own 2 3ds's so nope, one is fine and beside im getting the 3ds and wii u versions

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Why are people complaining for no download play. Think real. Theres no way you will pass the complete roster/stages information to someone else :P

Unless you want to use just 3 fighters in 1 final destination like stage :P