Nintendo Network Maintenance Scheduled For Just Before The Hyrule Warriors Direct

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Is Nintendo planning something extra for today?

Earlier this year Nintendo dropped its regular Nintendo Network maintenance slots in favour of ad-hoc arrangements, but the latest confirmed work has caught our attention. It takes place today, and concludes just one hour before the upcoming Hyrule Warriors Nintendo Direct; the two may not end up being linked, but the timing is interesting.

Details from Nintendo's official website are below, while we've brought together the times for various regions.

From Monday, August 4 at 5pm Pacific / 8pm Eastern / 1am UK / 3am CET until Monday, August 4 at 7pm Pacific / 10pm Eastern / 3am UK / 4am CET

Affected Services:

Wii U

• Online Play, Rankings, etc.

Nintendo 3DS

• Online Play, Rankings, etc.

That's a finish planned for just one hour before the Hyrule Warriors Direct, which takes place at 8pm Pacific / 11pm Eastern / 4am UK (5th August) and 5am CET.

In addition, some maintenance for Steel Diver: Sub Wars is scheduled:

From Tuesday, August 5 at 5:50pm Pacific / 8:50pm Eastern / 1:50am UK / 2:50am CET until Tuesday, August 5 at 7pm Pacific / 10pm Eastern / 3am UK / 4am CET

Affected Services:

Nintendo 3DS

• Online Play, Rankings, etc. for Steel Diver: Sub Wars

The similar times across both days suggests this may just be the standard window Nintendo's adopting, though will nevertheless keep us a little more intrigued as the Hyrule Warriors Direct airs. We'll see soon, and we'll be doing our usual live text and video streaming of the broadcast here at Nintendo Life.

With thanks to Azooooz for the heads up.

[via nintendo.com, nintendo.co.jp]

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

The Direct airs at 11pm eastern? They choose some weird time-schedules for these things. It went from morning, to afternoon, and now night.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@antdickens Mature rating and Zelda should never be on the same sentence. Is it really getting a mature rating and why. It so looks teen all the way. Bayonette looks more Mature 10 fold over this.

Emblem

Emblem said:

Demo would be a bad idea, Warriors games don't really demo well. How you play at low level and when your all exp'd up are completely different.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@antdickens Ok, still I'd be plenty surprised if it does. Can't see why it would unless the direct reveals something I'm not thinking about. Plus I can't see how Nintendo would want Zelda associated with an M rating. That would be like Mario getting a teen rating.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Emblem I highly disagree on no demo. I'm one of those on the fence about the game. The only thing holding my interest is the Zelda franchise. If a demo is a bad idea then the gameplay can't hold its own. I just want a taste of what's to come. I don't need the full course meal.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Only way I will get it is if there is a demo and I end up really liking it.

(I got one at 50% off on Steam a few weeks ago and I am not really into it).

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Those times are perfect for Europe :p
Waking up to a new (maybe even decently big) update AND a load of new HW info. I wouldn't mind, if it was always like that tbh. Watching the directs live is a pita 90% of the time anyway ;)

@Emblem Ì think it could work pretty well if they did it like the W101 with multiple difficulty settings.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Demo? Ha ha ha ha

If this did get rated M in the US that is not good, immediate no buy for us. Seems like a T though, no sex, no F bombs, no bloody be headings or dismemberments.

I think it's just late on the east coast b/c Nintendo is so random about these things. I mean why a Monday night, why not over the weekend, it's just a video on the next, they can upload it to YouTube when writing they want, the Live stream is usually a slide show anyway.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Am I missing something? I see the maintenance on monday and the direct on tuesday. That is not an hour before...

Olmectron

Olmectron said:

@sinalefa The maintenance is ocurring from 5 pm to 7pm Pacific August 4th, and the broadcast starts at 8 pm Pacific August 4th. It says August 5th because it will already be that day for the UK and other time zones.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Outside of a potential demo of sorts (which sounds unlikely but it wouldn't be impossible) I don't see any kind of correlation here. Doesn't Nintendo usually do maintenance on Mondays for some services anyways (or at least used to)?

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@Olmectron @RedDevilAde

Thanks. The wording here made it confusing, so I always thought it was Tuesday, even on US.

Still, it will be too late for me to watch it. I just hope the timeframe is not because of the maintenance because that would be terribly dumb.

And I don't want a demo, they only work for me to avoid games, not to get them.

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

@antdickens I think it'll get a T rating.

As @rjejr said, I think it's just random timing on Nintendo's part. I'll just read about it the next morning.

I dont think it'll have any relation to the maintenance though.

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

I very much doubt taking the 3ds offline from the internet has anything to do with a demo for Hyrule Warriors. I'm pretty sure online services were suspended last wednesday as well.

Cross buy would affect the eshop, DLC would affect the game the DLC is for. The only things I can think turning online off would be adding achievements or voicechat- which I doubt Ninty is going to do.

It's probably nothing.

Kyloctopus
Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

I swear, if the lievestream once again is "not available in your country", I'm gonna lose it! Stop blocking me, Nintendo!

Stu13

Stu13 said:

Hopefully the update will allow preloading of games so I don't have to wait an extra day to play it while the 8 gig beast downloads.

Cyberbotv2

Cyberbotv2 said:

I don't expect anything with their updates anymore. I'm not even interested in this Direct. All they do is tease you and then nothing.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@Mega719 Because every maintenance has lead to a game being added to the eShop. Everyone knows you have to take the whole system down just to add some new title, right? :O

AVahne

AVahne said:

Knowing Nintendo, it's just s stability update that actually makes their consoles slightly less stable >_>

Dogpigfish

Dogpigfish said:

This is getting its own direct?!! This is not a good year for Nintendo. How about a touchpad inventory game like Minecraft or Terraria? Not this junk.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Maybe if the game had online co-op I would stay up till 11 and watch the Direct. But since it doesn't, I'll be doing things of greater importance during that hour.

Inkling

Inkling said:

It wont happen but...

Flipnote Studio or a huge update for both Wii U and 3DS?

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

Maybe we'll find out that whole Advance Series trademarks are for?
eShop port of the GBA version of Zelda Link to the Past that leads to other GBA games being remastered on the 3DS?

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Grumblevolcano - I just did mine but it came right after the 1 month free Hulu Plus message so I'm wondering if its related to that? Didnt seem to do anything else.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@sinalefa - Sin my demo hating friend. Good news, just went thru the eShop adding stuuf to my Wish List and realized my calendar over floweth.

Sept - HW
Oct - B2, and 1
Sonic Boom
Skylanders Trap Team
Lego Batman 3
Nov and Dec - Capt Toad and SSB U

Wii U should be on everybodys wtshlist this holiday, something for everyone.

The 3DS gets Pokemon and SSB. Nintendo should have a good holiday.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@rjejr

With demos I only either hate the game and decide not to get it, or satiate my appetite and decide not to get it. When Jett Rocket II was on sale, I went to the eShop, saw it had a demo, and got that instead of getting the full game. Now the game is the regular price so I know I won't buy it.

Demos have saved me a lot of money, but I guess that is not the point, at least for devs.