August Is Officially Princess Peach Month, According To Nintendo Of America

Posted by Damien McFerran

Roll it out for royality

Update: Well, who knew? As has helpfully been pointed out to us, it's actually National Peach Month — as in the fruit — and Nintendo appears to be jumping on the bandwagon with this announcement.

Original story: Nintendo sure loves its themed time periods — who could forget the Year of Luigi — and now the company has revealed that August is officially the Month of Peach in North America.

It's not known if Nintendo has any special events planned to celebrate the event, but this is as good an excuse as any to crack out that copy of Super Princess Peach on the DS and pay tribute to one of the downright nicest royals in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Thanks to Ryan Millar for the tip!

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

Might as well break out my Super Princess Peach cart for the occasion! I've been wanting a sequel to since forever!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I dislike Peach's modern voice more than Daisy's. (Not as much as just what I needed Mario) .

Azaris

Azaris said:

besides super mario kart are there any games with peach in them coming out this month?

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I don't think it's officially Princess peach month, they were just piggybacking on peach month to tweet about the Princess. Kotaku have pointed this tweet out as 'what marketing regret looks like'. Some if the replies on twitter are hilarious, completely mocking how much of a shallow stereotype Peach is :(

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

If we were to argue Nintendo's claim to August being connected to the Princess, would that be an impeachment?

Yup, that was a bad joke....

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

@Damo It's quite obviously not Princess Peach month, it's just "#PeachMonth" (as in the fruit), so I can pretty much guarantee you there will be no announcements :(

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

Super Princess Peach on Wii U VC?
I guess they want to forget that menstrual title. (not being mean but her powers in that game are pretty f'ed up. "Lets give Peach her own game! Oh I KNOW lets make her moodswings part of her powers.
Please Nintendo! Give us SPP.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

@unrandomsam I assume you're talking about the GBA remakes of the original SMB games with "just what I needed" Mario? If so, yeah I found that voice somewhat annoying too though mainly through Super Mario Advance (SMB2).

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Another NSMBU DLC bases on Peach would be great, but Nintendo already said it was too much effort as she'd require whole new animations (but they didn't get flamed like Ubisoft).

TheWPCTraveler

TheWPCTraveler said:

Rosalina is better!

I'd really like Nintendo's princesses to get involved in a Super Princess game, though.

outburst

outburst said:

@TheWPCTraveler
It's Peach's month. Wait for Rosalina's. It's like attending a party and saying, "my other friend's party is better! " on the host and the attendees.

I agree. They should make a game with Peach, Daisy Rosalina and [s]Toad[/s] Toadette as the main characters saving Mario & Luigi. :)

odd69

odd69 said:

I loved Super Princess Peach on DS it was very underrated in my opinion. To me the entire Nintendo generation should have embraced this. Not only that , its a great game worthy of any 2D style Mario game.

Yes i do still have my Original DS retail copy, i would actually double dip on this, dont know why, well if it was on eshop WiiU anyway

Emblem

Emblem said:

@Peach64 That's interesting I might go have a read, I was having a discussion with some of my students about stereotypes in the media recently, I found their prospectives on the subject very interesting. For example many 'old' stereotypes are not prevalent enough in modern day media for them to notice or even identify as sterotypes (race ones are holding strong though lol).

Strangely enough when i think about it when we spoke about women, none of them brought up the old damsel in distress stereotype. They mostly spoke about femme fatale, the ugly to sexy or unpopular to popular switch and women as sexual objects or possessions/trophies.

These kids are all 16-18 btw and we didn't talk about games much but I wonder if younger gamers find characters like Peach refreshing now that everyone (protagonists at least) is a survivor/bad ass or if they feel she's unrealistic and patronising.

pr0t0man

pr0t0man said:

Super princess peach with the DS rumble pack was really cool and fun just a really short game if they can sync the gamepad/pro controller to rumble like the DS did I would be all over it

Inkling

Inkling said:

In US only.

Luigi gets a year worldwide, Peach gets a month nationwide.

In Nelson's voice: Ha-ha!

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

I'm still holding out for Super Princess Peach sequels on both 3DS and Wii U.

Hell, I would even settle for New Princess Peach U DLC for New Super Mario Bros. U… but who else would be playable…? Peach and Daisy are a given. Pauline can be included as she too is a damsel in distress (and proud of it?!)… which leaves an opening for Toadette, Rosalina or even Birdo (with Birdo being invulnerable, helping fill the shoes of Nabbit for novice players).

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

With that said though, I would prefer a sequel made from scratch which features the hand-drawn aesthetic of Super Princess Peach/Wario Land: The Shake Dimension.

NTELLIGENTMAN

NTELLIGENTMAN said:

I got that game MIB from Glyde.com for $5.99 and was totally shocked when used copies were selling for $34.99 at GameStop.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I missed out on Super Princess Peach, though I still see it in some stores today, with price not reduced sadly. It looks like a decent game, certainly something different to play.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Princess Peach was quoted as saying "Peach has got it!"

BTW SPP is an awesome game.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

this made me laugh because they are calling it that but it is a useless statement. They are not going to do anything related to Peach. Even more so that they named it this after the month started.

Shambo

Shambo said:

I'd love to see a Princess Peach diorama like the one from Luigi's Mansion, on Club Nintendo... But since it's actually peach month apparently, it's probably nothing.

PigmaskColonel

PigmaskColonel said:

My sister enjoyed Super Princess Peach a good bit, although unfortunately I never beat it as I was distracted by Bowser's Inside Story at the time.

Perhaps I should retry it.

Rob_mc_1

Rob_mc_1 said:

Peach? No, that is Princess Toadstool. If it were the month of peach there would be a release or a specialty console.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

I want a Super Princess Peach sequel badly. Perry's story deserves a proper ending! :'(

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Over analyzing their tweet. I don't expect any games related to her coming out this month.

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

Peach being my favorite Mario character ever. This actually made me mad when I saw it. Peach deserves a year. She deserves more then that honestly, but I wouldn't expect that. The worst thing is that they are completely disrespecting my waifu. If they were serious about this being "#PeachMonth" they would actually be tweeting about this instead of only making one dumb tweet by now. Not to mention the chances of them doing anything cool related to Peach are slim. Super Princess Peach would be great. They'd never do that though. Chances are they'll use "#PeachMonth" as an excuse to tweet more memes. More memes. Nintendo has left me, and many others deeply angered with this. They messed with the wrong group of people, and the Peach Cartel plans to make their feelings known.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

Remember that time that Peach got kidnapped and stood around helplessly... No, no not that time, it was another one.... No, that was Princess Toadstool, anther time.... Wait that was Princess Daisy.... No, there were no Kooplings... Yes, browser was responsible.... Yeah, that one. She was totally cool as a helpless object to be saved.

BassLostie

BassLostie said:

I never got to play Super Princess Peach, and to get a copy nowadays is kind of a rare thing. So, having Super Princess Peach as the first DS title for Wii U Virtual Console would be really cool.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Pretty indifferent toward Peach. She's okay in the games where she doesn't play a completely passive role (getting kidnapped, etc.), but otherwise she's been portrayed as quite dopey outside of those games.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Let's see a Year of Princess Peach then :*

and for 2015, the Year of Princess Daisy~

mamp

mamp said:

Well if it's announced by NOA all it probably means is we're getting different Princess Peach photos on their social websites.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

I would LOVE a proper Princess Peach platformer. That is, one that doesn't assume the player is an idiot or use a sexist emotion system to solve environmental puzzles.