Play: Mario Kart 8 With Nintendo Life in a 10 Hour Community Tournament

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Bring it on

As you may have seen recently, we've opened the round-the-clock Nintendo Life GP in Wii U racer Mario Kart 8, and since its launch two days ago hundreds of players have jumped in for some races. That's a rolling tournament with no real rules or winners, it's just for fun. We've decided that an old-fashioned Community session is needed, however, and an event where we can declare a winner afterwards.

So on Friday 6th June we'll open the NLife Community GP for just 10 hours. We'll be treating it as a community get together at 1pm Pacific / 4pm Eastern / 9pm UK / 10pm CET, with plenty of time for everyone to take part and exchange banter in the comments. The tournament will have a limit of 32 races per player, which is a few hours of racing, so it won't be entirely a case of the winner being whoever hangs around the longest. The only other setting that will be applied by default is Hard CPU players to fill out rooms, but only when necessary.

You get to choose key details in the poll below, however, and we'll take the results prior to posting the live community event page.

Which Mario Kart 8 online mode do you want to play? (217 votes)

50cc Grand Prix

100cc Grand Prix

16%

150cc Grand Prix

71%

Mirror Grand Prix

Battle

Please login to vote in this poll.

Which items should be available? (207 votes)

All items

65%

Shells only

Bananas only

Mushrooms only

Bob-ombs only

No items

No items or coins

Frantic mode (more aggressive items)

20%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Which vehicles should be available? (212 votes)

All vehicles

84%

Karts only

14%

Bikes only

Please login to vote in this poll.

The first of many competitive tournaments, we hope. Cast your votes and save a slot in your diary, while you can always practice in the Nintendo Life GP, which can be found under that name or code 6347-6219-4703.

Check back tomorrow for the confirmed Community GP details, and we'll see you on the track.

Nik-Davies

Nik-Davies said:

How would starting at 9pm give me plenty of time to do 32 tracks? I'd be asleep for about 7 or 8 of those 10 hours

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

I know many hate the items, but bring on frantic mode......I love the constant feeling of dread as you race around hoping to hold on to the lead near the end of the race

Chubblings

Chubblings said:

If only there was a section that was "All items except coins." Nevertheless, I'm excited to join in on this tournament.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

I'm hoping for Frantic mode, it makes the items more like MKWii's item system which is the best imo.

idork99

idork99 said:

"The tournament will have a limit of 32 races per player, which is a few hours of racing, so it won't be entirely a case of the winner being whoever hangs around the longest."

This is great news!! Since I've yet to set up a tournament (community), I never knew that you could make a limit on the number of races people can play. This works for me as I used to loathe playing catch up when joining a community late in Mario Kart 7. Now, the probabity of winning will come down to how strong the group is that you're playing against. There could be a chance that an excellent racer will be in a room of subpar racers and gain massive points while in another it can be all tough racers with players rotating first place. Still, it's a major improvement!

For those who want to compete against me, I'll join around 4:30PM Pacific (12:30AM UK) and will race until my 32 races are up. I'm not going to say I'm the best at Mario Kart but I am super competitive! See you all tomorrow ;)

TheWindWaker

TheWindWaker said:

So how do you know who wins? By who has the most points at the end? (I don't play much online.)

Gma-X

Gma-X said:

Bit confused on the time. I live in The Netherlands, so what time does it start for me? Anyhow, I'll be there, name "Arjuna".

@Contrite still waiting for your answer

EDIT: 10pm for me, looked it up. What's in it for the winner by the way?

Fill-N

Fill-N said:

now THATS a tournament!
loved the ideia. be there some time for sure.
see you guys!

smikey

smikey said:

@TheWindWaker

Yes all tournaments have online leader boards so the winner will be the one with the most points & probably someone who has done 32 races.

I'll try to make it but it's my daughter's 1st birthday tomorrow (special enough as she was born very early)
plus the uk time sucks pretty bad I won't be playing online at 2 am so I'll have to try get in 32 races in a couple of hours surely a 24 hour tournament would give everyone a better chance to take part.

I also noticed none of my votes were for the popular choices so I won't be finishing near the top but I'll still have a go.

TheWindWaker

TheWindWaker said:

@smikey Thanks! Yeah, I'm on the U.S. east coast so 4pm would work great if I didn't have anything going on. My hope is that a Nintendo Life tourney will be more enjoyable than getting smoked by Japan's super-pros every time!

Ephidel

Ephidel said:

I'll be there as Francisco, it's fun playing in this community, races are intense.

xerneas

xerneas said:

Each race takes about 3min I think so 32 races would be 1,5h. See you there :D (I'll lose all)

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

Will probably pop in for a bit...Maybe...Gotta put down MK for a while and try to study...BUT IT'S SO HARD U GUYZ!!!

Razor61289

Razor61289 said:

Look forward to this! My username is Razor61289. Won't win any races. But all in the fun!

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

I look forward to racing you all tonight!!! (NNID: Bendercade, Mii: Andrew)

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

Also, Frantic Mode needs to happen sometime, because that is hecka-fun.

xerneas

xerneas said:

I realized this starts at 11 pm in my country.. oh well. Who needs sleep.

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

I was playing there for a while. Great racing. I nearly won a race but a guy from northern Ireland took me out just before the finish.

I think some of them guys are there all day.

Ephidel

Ephidel said:

@Gameday nm man, about to hop on this tourney again.

I played a few earlier, Mario Kart has been my first steady online experience and I've been loving it.

Gameday

Gameday said:

Racers In This Match:
Andy , Jt , Joshua , jonny , Steven , Kevin , AD. Ackbar , MJ , Ryland , Chosen One , Donald , T.C. Taggsta