Miiverse Update Adds Post Embed Option, Activity Feed Customisation and More

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Say "meh" to Yeahs

Nintendo's ever-evolving Miiverse social network has had another update today, tweaking the experience in customising your Activity Feed, improving the browser-based User Page and adding an option to embed posts on websites.

The latter option is a simple button at the end of a post that gives you some embed code, though it should be acknowledged that different websites work differently, so the default code may not always embed successfully. Other changes are included with the goal of improving the user experience, and will finally rid your Activity line of excessive Yeah notifications.

Details from the official post are below.

1) We've reduced the amount of Yeahs which show up on your activity feed. However, you'll now see the full post for each Yeah, rather than just a few words.

2) We've added an option to stop Yeahs from appearing in your activity feed. You'll find this option under User Page ⇒ User Menu ⇒ Miiverse Settings.

3) We've updated the User Page for the web version of Miiverse, so it now matches the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS versions and includes your favourite handwritten post.

4) We've added a feature that lets you embed a Miiverse post in a web page. Just open the web version of Miiverse, select a post and then click on "Embed this Post" to obtain the HTML code for embedding on your web page.

We're pleased to see the Yeah customisation option, for one, but let us know what you think of this update.

[via miiverse.nintendo.net]

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Great update; all the "yeahed" posts on my Activity Feed were pointless to me and felt like spam. I also like that I have a favorite drawing on my web browser version of the User Page.

Iggly

Iggly said:

I didn't really see the point of having yeahs show up in your activity feed imo.

Noonch

Noonch said:

Seeing Yeahs in your activity stream just cheapened their high value. Plus you could see how little it takes for your followees to get excited.

KJ85

KJ85 said:

Why didn't you use the embed feature for this news article? It's really neat, when you need to repost someting :)

yuwarite

yuwarite said:

What do people typically do on Miiverse that's so interesting? To me, it's not very appealing, but perhaps there's something I'm missing.

gatorboi352

gatorboi352 said:

So uh, anyone else not able to upload a "Favorite Post" to their user page? How is this done?

SecondServing

SecondServing said:

I got banned from Miiverse lol.

I simply said in the Nintendo E3 community: "Nintendo lost E3"

and then BOOM perma-banned! lmao

HAL9000

HAL9000 said:

Thank you for giving us the option of removing the yeah function in activity feed!!!! Thank you!! Now I can just read new posts made by Wii U news (awesome user made news posts BTW) without wading through a sea of "yeahs".

erv

erv said:

Yep, this is called successful agile development.

Don't be surprised to see miiverse grow to one of the main social networks between now and 5-7 years. The focus points of these updates reek of proper ownership.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

This is actually the best new feature the WIi U brought. And makes the Wii U stand above the PS4 and X-1 featurewise.

kereke12

kereke12 said:

I'm not one to complain but this update is not all that. It's useless. Yeah the you can now turn of "yeahs" which its good. But this update is useless. Instead of Nintendo playing around why can't they just hurry up and Fix the stupid Nintendo Network and give us the Ability to add friends on 3DS instead of us having to do Friend-code. Or better yet give us the ability to add Wii U users on 3DS. Nintendo is just wasting time here & we all know it...

Emaan

Emaan said:

My activity feed was over run with yeah updates, so I'm really happy about this. :*

Dyl_73

Dyl_73 said:

Still not overly keen on miiverse and still wish we still had swapnote.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

awesome! i love miiverse! always happy to see a game that i play having a miiverse community.

jariw

jariw said:

@yuwarite I use Miiverse to discuss specific levels or techniques in the games I play, or give feedback directly to indie developers. For some games that are flooded, like Mario Kart 8, I can't get any good use of Miiverse.

c1pher_c0mplet

c1pher_c0mplet said:

I don't use Miiverse at all since the ancient Wi-Fi radio(s) in the 3DS is/are so slow. But it's nice to see Nintendo's continued support for Miiverse through updates (something the company still doesn't have down 100% for its platforms).

Technosphile

Technosphile said:

OH MY GOD THANK YOU TOM.

I follow people on Miiverse to see the art they post, and the Yeah spam made me miss new drawings a couple times. Best Miiverse Update Ever.

SecondServing

SecondServing said:

@NintendoMonkey @gatorboi352 @Splatom

I know it's trolling, but perma-ban? Little harsh don't you think?

But regardless I thought I'd share my funny tale. I didn't use Miiverse often because no one even gives me tips for games when I ask for them anyway. Everyone uses Miiverse as a chat-room now. To get "GFs" or "BFs",

Pod

Pod said:

The embedding will sure come in handy!

Personally I'd like the ability to entirely hide Yeahs and Followers, along with Yeahs Given.

These are all destructive to the casual nature of the place, I feel.

UltraLaserTen

UltraLaserTen said:

Marty lied, you still do not have the option to turn off what others have yeah'd in your Activity Feed.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

I get Yeahs and ridiculous comments when I ask important questions. Typically I feel that I MAY get a legit answer within a 12 hour period, so I let things settle. Only one person ever gave me tips for Pushmo World for example. My questions would get an endless amount of Yeahs though.

@SecondServing
It may not have been just the admins. How long did it take your post to get noticed? You could've been spammed by a lot of violation notices from the community, forcing the admins to take action.

Tsuzura

Tsuzura said:

3 things I wish they would make:

1. Accounts that are not bounded to the system
2. Being able to switch settings and go to the eShop without the gamepad.
3. More customization Miis. I don't feel like the Miis we make are really personal or unique, they could benefit with making and selling exclusive clothing (Like iconic Nintendo characters or just casual wear) Different hair colors and skin colors (Like having blue or green skin/hair available to choose from)

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

I really like the idea of having your favorite post in the top of your profile. Especially my Shadow drawing! :D

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

@Tsuzura I personally only want 1.

2 isn't really an issue to me because, well, the GamePad comes with the system...and it's actually a lot easier to navigate the eShop with the GamePad than it would be without it. It's not...necessary, for lack of a better word.

As for 3, customizable Miis could be cool, but at the same time, Miis aren't really used for much where their customizations would mean anything. The Avatars you make on the 360 have customizability, but I really don't care about it and often forget he's there. At least the Miis show up as your icon where necessary and flood your startup every time you turn on the Wii U.

DinoFett

DinoFett said:

I like Mii Verse as it is, Yeahs are good. The Mii Verse reminds me of MySpace when it was in it's beginnings.

noctowl

noctowl said:

@yuwarite personally I mainly use it to post cool screen shots or ask for help. In most cases (for me) i get a reply faster than I could of found it on google, especially new games.

I'll also admit to having fun trolling people. The smash community has TONS of posts just begging for trolling. After several warnings, I figured out how to get other posts deleted/ users banned while I myself stay within Terms of service.

BrownGamer4

BrownGamer4 said:

Sweet! I've already started taking advantage of the embedding feature-Miiverse has slowly become my favorite social site-getting tired of all the fluff on every other social site tbh..my NNID is TheUmaster if anybody wants to follow or friend me :)