Nintendo Tees Up Mario Golf: World Tour Online Tournament Details

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Callaway branding and North American demo confirmed

Mario Golf: World Tour is just two weeks away, and Nintendo has confirmed some additional details to tempt us onto the course. The main news for those of you in North America is that a demo will be released in the region next week on 24th April — it'll be available on 17th April in Europe.

Nintendo has also issued a press release outlining a "robust" range of online tournaments that'll keep keen golfers busy. Available through the Castle Club or standard Mario Golf mode, regular regional and worldwide tournaments will take place in which you compete by setting your score prior to a deadline; it'll be possible to check your standings as they progress through online leaderboards. Gamers will be notified through SpotPass as these tournaments are scheduled, and they'll range from full course rounds to shorter challenges.

Winners will receive in-game coins for items, while Nintendo has also confirmed an official partnership with golf brand Callaway. The golf equipment manufacturer will host its own tournaments from 22nd May onwards, and all that take part will receive branded gear that they can equip with their Mii characters. Beyond these official tournaments, it's been outlined that we can all set up our own public or private community tournaments, in which conditions and requirements will be heavily customisable; examples given include everyone using the same character, or wind being reduced on tricky courses.

We reckoned this could be one of the year's most compulsive games in our Mario Golf: World Tour preview, and these online options certainly won't do it any harm. It'll be worth watching the official website when the game launches to see the tournament lineup, too. Are you looking forward to hitting the course with Mario and chums?

Alpha2797

Alpha2797 said:

I'm glad that a North American demo was confirmed. I'm going to be purchasing the game on release day so the demo is going to last me until the 2nd of May.

xInsomniax

xInsomniax said:

Personally, I'm very excited for this game and the online tournaments. Bring on May 2nd!

Splatom

Splatom said:

I might pick this up and Mario Tennis Open but there's so many games I need to pick up!
@ThomasBW84 Here's a new story about Mario Kart 8's character roster.
P.http://mynintendonews.com/2014/04/15/mario-kart-8-contains-30-playable-characters/S

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Nice! I was hoping the demo would make it this side of the pond, although it will take a whole week for it to cross it. Must be going on boat, I guess.

Still enough time to check it and decide if I want to preorder it. I wish they had demos for more games on both of their systems.

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

Cool I was getting this game anyways, I'm glad there will be a demo for this. :)

smikey

smikey said:

Mario golf has always been my favourite mario sports game (don't really class kart as a sports game) Pre ordered this long long ago can't wait to try the demo later I hope it sells well and hopefully we'll get a wii u version next year

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Hey Nintendo LIfe, just declare Mario Golf Game of the Year now, nothing coming out the rest of the year has a prayer of topping this.

Those are some amazing features!

DadOfFour1972

DadOfFour1972 said:

Excellent - like the idea of "post a score by the deadline" style tournaments. And if they keep rolling them it will be awesome. I wasn't going to bother with the demo (out today for me) but I think I have changed my mind and am going to download it. So can't wait for this :)

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I'll definitely be getting the demo. This will be an amazing summer for 3DS with Mario Golf: World Tour, Kirby: Triple Deluxe, Tomodachi Life, and Super Smash Bros. 3DS!

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Mario Golf: World Tour will have the low retail price of $30 as well. I think I know what my birthday money is going toward!

BigH88

BigH88 said:

If winning tournaments was for eshop discounts or even eshop money I'd buy in a heartbeat.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I am not a fan of advertising anywhere never mind in Games. Or the extra DLC courses that I presume will happen. However if I love the demo I love and I will get it more than likely as a download (With all the DLC).

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@DestinyMan

Really? I thought that was a preorder promotion from Amazon. So they definitely want us to get both this and Kirby on release date.

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

I cancelled my pre-order 'cos I wanted Hometown Story more. I may pick up Mario Golf when the price drops. I'll take the demo for sure, though!

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

Dam online leader board not online multiplayer with another person ? when will nintendo get the right idea of multiplayer.

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

AkinaChan

AkinaChan said:

I'm really excited for this :3 I wasn't expecting a demo, so that was a pleasant surprise :D

HyperSonicEXE

HyperSonicEXE said:

Callaway?!
Oh maaaaaan, we're closer to that Fire Flower/Coca-Cola Christmas with the Mario cast. Look at Rosalina's Fire Flower dress, for Pete's sake. Just stick a sprig of holly in her hair.

arnoldrobinsonj

arnoldrobinsonj said:

I don't know yo I will be getting the demo but running low on cash these days. Plus I 2 smash games 3DS/WiiU,Kart8,Bayanetta2,X,Tomodachi Life,Zelda U,External Hard Drive fore my wii u. I have a 30gb wii u

somari

somari said:

There should be a demo for mario kart 8 just like mario golf to get the hype up for it.

SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire said:

@WiiULoveGBA I am the same way. My hype has gone way down. I think what got me was playing the wii u sports golf during the free weekend. I really enjoyed playing golf that way, and actually consider other methods a step backwards!

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

Nice! Though it is hardly necessary a demo is quite welcome and should give those interested (including me) a taste of what we can expect from the next entry in the Mario Golf series.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Luna-Harmony

What are you talking about? There's online multiplayer. Did you not read the paragraph explaining private and public communities and custom conditions for play? The leaderboards are for hosted tournaments that everyone who owns the game can participate in and compete globally by stroke. That's ON TOP OF and IN ADDITION TO the full and complete online play, with communities both public and private, with full customization for conditions. It's got every which way of online a game can possibly have.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

I really love Wii Sports Club Golf. It's easily the best golf I've ever played in video game land. And not just a cut above the rest, it stands head and shoulders above other golf games. With that said, I'm still really excited for Mario Golf, which looks like the most intricate and fully loaded Mario Golf I've ever seen. This is more crazy fun, while Wii Sports Club Golf is closer to a simulation experience. Both viable, each their own experience. Can't wait!

And nice to see a demo. I don't care about it but perhaps it will help serve to pacify those complaining about a lack of demos recently.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

Yay Demo! I always like a good golf game on the go, this might sway me to pick it up sooner or later.

Dyl_73

Dyl_73 said:

Tried the demo and it makes me even more eager to get my hands on the final game. It's great fun. Can't wait.

SMW

SMW said:

Good to see rankings/tournaments return. Anyone else remember the ones in Toadstool Tour, like the Camp Hyrule one? I did awful on them, but it was still fun being able to 'upload' my score to the site!

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Sounds amazing!!!!!!!!! Probably be picking this up next month instead of Kirby (little 2D platformered out ATM). Glad to see that the extra year didn't go to waste.

RawkHawk013

RawkHawk013 said:

Definitely interested in all I am hearing about this game! Very excited that there will be a demo, and this game will definitely be on my radar after it comes out. The features sound pretty awesome, like the way these competitions will go down.

HaNks

HaNks said:

demo is so good, loving the music in this game. got in the birdie zone but took some adjusting, the camera is a little awkward to manipulate at first.

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

Played the demo, reminds me a lot of everybodys golf on vita which is no bad thing at all. Looking forward to this more after playing the demo but why oh why does nintendo have usage limits on demoes?!? I guess I know why but seriously man, it's like a parent rationing sweets for their young child lest they may be corrupted by various evils and bad teeth..

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

Game of the year worthy?
Has everyone forgotten that SUPER SMAS BROS is coming out this summer?!?

Windy

Windy said:

I was actually looking forward to hooking up with a couple of my online friends who live in separate states and playing live rounds of head to head golf like They did with WeLove golf on the Wii. Looks like its playing alone and uploading scores to online leaderboards=Robust from Nintendo :(