Nintendo Download: 24th April (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

NES Remix returns, Yoshi on GBA, Yumi by another name and more

A day later than normal due to a Holiday Monday, we finally have this week's Nintendo Download information for Europe. We've got a Wii U sequel to a popular remix, more GBA goodness, a mix of good and not-so-good on the 3DS and a new DSiWare title. Plenty to consider, so let's get into it.

Wii U eShop

NES Remix 2 (Nintendo, €9.99 / £8.99) — After the success of the first Remix compilation following its late 2013 release, the release of this sequel is no surprise. It features a host of fresh titles and challenges, as well as new modes for those with save data of the original and the ability to save and share replays. We were fans of this new entry in our recently published NES Remix 2 review — it's available from Friday 25th April.

Wii U Virtual Console

Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island (Nintendo, €6.99 / £6.29) — The final part of the opening run of Game Boy Advance titles on the Wii U Virtual Console, this is the portable's version of the iconic Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. While the visual tricks may have lost a little in translation, the terrific gameplay and design survives the transition; we'll flutter jump our way through this again, but in the meantime you can check out our 3DS Ambassador Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island review.

3DS eShop

Sayonara UmiharaKawase (Agatsuma Entertainment, €24.99 / £19.99) — Better known as Yumi's Odd Odyssey from its retail release in North America, the title's developer is bringing the game to Europe as a download-only release. With hints of time travelling and clever puzzle platforming mechanics, its peculiar title shouldn't work against this one — we gave it a strong 9/10 recommendation in our Yumi's Odd Odyssey review.

Bit Boy!! ARCADE (Bplus, €7.99 / £7.19) — A sequel to a WiiWare title, this takes an interesting approach in storytelling, taking opportunities to explain development processes while referencing plenty of classics; main character Kubi even interacts with his own developer. Smart ideas fall over in execution, however, with design flaws dragging the experience down; we weren't fans in our Bit Boy!! ARCADE review.

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

3D Mahjongg (Joindots, €3.99 / £3.29 until 8th May, normally €4.99 / £4.49)

Funfair Party Games (Joindots, €6.99 / £6.99 until 8th May, €19.99 / £17.99)

Gardenscapes (Joindots, €5.99 / £5.99 until 8th May, normally €14.99 / £14.99)

Secret Agent Files: Miami (Joindots, €6.99 / £5.79 until 8th May, normally €7.99 / £6.99)

DSiWare

Sea Battle (Teyon, 200 Nintendo Points) — DSiWare will not be sunk, as prolific publisher Teyon returns with this video game version of Battleships, albeit with some tweaks to the formula to liven up proceedings. We'll sink everyone's Battleship in our upcoming review.

Those are the choices this week, Europe. Let us know what you're planning to pick up in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (236 votes)

NES Remix 2 (Wii U eShop)

43%

Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island (Wii U Virtual Console)

11%

Sayonara UmiharaKawase (3DS eShop)

Bit Boy!! ARCADE (3DS eShop)

3D Mahjongg (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Funfair Party Games (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Gardenscapes (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Secret Agent Files: Miami (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Sea Battle (DSiWare)

Nothing for me this week

36%

Please login to vote in this poll.

outburst

outburst said:

Only one VC on Wii U? Not sure if I'm gonna get Yoshi's island GBA or wait for the SNES version. Only NES Remix 2 for me this week I guess.

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

Nothing for me this week. (Why couldn't we just get the SNES version of Yoshi's Island!)

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

I'll probably buy Sayonara Umika...Sayonara Umikar... (copy and paste) Sayonara UmiharaKawase! ^o^

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

@outburst They're releasing the GBA version because the SNES version is a Super FX (2) chip game which I guess must be extremely difficult to port onto VC hence why we've never got SNES Star Fox.

As for what I'm getting, nothing but at the end of the month I'm getting:
Metroid Fusion
WarioWare Inc.
F-Zero Maximum Velocity
SMA3: Yoshi's Island
NES Remix 2

Really hoping that the first or second week of May is Mario Kart Super Circuit.

Xilef

Xilef said:

Everyone who has not played Yoshi's Island should get it. Best platformer ever in my opinion.

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

So, the VC no longer exist on the 3DS or the Wii U except for ONE(1) GBA game? Thats a joke.

Anyway, NES Remix 2 for me.

Dyltheman

Dyltheman said:

i'll say it again, i read this on go nintendo an hour before you posted! good work again nlife, i take my hat off to you

outburst

outburst said:

@Grumblevolcano
Thanks for the info. I might get it then but I will hold on a bit.

I hope they bring some other NES and SNES games next month along with the GBA games. Castlevania 2&3 aren't available yet in Europe. The Rockman/Megaman series on NES and SNES aren't complete yet.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Nothing for me. I want to get the first NES Remix before I get the second (both are a little pricey to be honest), and as much as I love Yoshi's Island I can't justify buying it when I already have the Ambassador version.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

NOOO D:
I totally forgot about Yoshi's Island :/

damn...Guess I'll have to keep (re)playing the original on my SNES. NES Remix has priority for now.

craigmoss19

craigmoss19 said:

@pamplemousse_mk it has nothing to do with technical difficulties, it is due to licensing issues with the Super FX chip. The Super FX chip was created by Argonaut Games who hold the copyright for it.

craigmoss19

craigmoss19 said:

Now it will be interesting to see what other GBA games come out on the virtual console in the coming months if any.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

@craigmoss19 That's the reason?! What a surprise. :(
I was so pleased to see Yoshi's Island coming to the Wii U, but I certainly won't be downloading the wholly inferior GBA version, nuh-uh.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

WIll be interesting to see how the VC progresses now that the initial GBA games are out of the way. My guess: back to nothing.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@craigmoss19 Where has Nintendo stated it is due to licensing issues ? It is a possibility but I think it is far more likely they just cannot be bothered.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

wow very weak week for 3DS. glad i have tons of stuff to play. AC:NL, urban trials freestyle and of course the glorious nintendo pocket football club ;)

MAB

MAB said:

'3DS only' users can only hope that SEGA releases the second batch of 3D classics in the west at this point (highly unlikely)... The Wii U will be getting everything from now on because developers need that extra grunt under the hood that the 3DS lacks ;)

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@craigmoss19
This makes no sense, They cannot hold the copyright on a game just because their chip that was used. They own the chip, not the game and if the chip is not used, then they have no say in what is done with the game.

Vriess

Vriess said:

Waiting for Shovel Knight and Scram Kitty. Oh, and a truck load of NES, SNES and Genesis games.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Am I the only one annoyed at the GBA bonanza on Wii U, while the 3DS Virtual Console is getting stuff so slowly?
I'm afraid the only reason the 3DS has a NES VC is to justify the GBA VC on Wii U. Too bad they took the best handheld to pick games from.

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

@Moshugan Yeah, i'd get it if it was the original version. Whether it's rights issues or technical issues, Nintendo has no good excuse not to release the SNES versions of games, other than laziness of course. (GBA games are apparently easier to port...)

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

Having Calciobit, I don't need anything more from the eshop! I even stopped playing Dark Souls 2!!!

smikey

smikey said:

Yoshi & nes remix 2 for me. Will be interesting to see the e-shop next week as the line up for the past 4 weeks was virtually laid out in march. hope they surprise me with something nice been blitzing through games recently

Kodeen

Kodeen said:

@ikki5 @craigmoss19

Because it isn't the copyright, it's the patent. The chip is still patented, and whether you're implementing it in hardware or software you're still implemented the patented instruction set. They don't have the rights and apparently don't want to pay the licensing costs.

Alshain01

Alshain01 said:

@unrandomsam @Kodeen No, it's the copyright, not on the game itself, not on the chip itself (which would be a patent) but on the firmware code that resides on the chip. Copyrights last forever. So Nintendo would have to write their own emulator for that chip (which is against copyright law) or rewrite the game code to not use it (which they did in the port).

Ninhau

Ninhau said:

im right now playing NES Remix1, and while its fun, dont think ill get the sequel, certainly not at 10€.
Maybe one day, when im lacking any WiiU games to play and theres a discount... but id rather wait for SNES Remix

Ryno

Ryno said:

@Alshain0; Thanks for explaining that though there will still be people who will not understand this and just cry out that Nintendo is lazy.

Extremist

Extremist said:

NES Remix 2, Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island & Sayonara UmiharaKawase for me this Thursday! :)

Tuteshot

Tuteshot said:

Lets see if next week we get scram kitty and child of light. Both games look great.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Alshain01 Nonsense. They know how it is supposed to work. Amateurs have managed to get it working passably without using that microcode. They are not bothered about accuracy particularly (As you can see by how bad the N64 emulation is on the Wii). Other alternatives are a new port (Something Sega has been quite willing to do when necessary) or the old one but with the proper resolution sprites. In this day and age the only version of anything people should still be playing is the best version.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@Dyltheman I saw the comment on my e-mail if you no longer enjoy visiting the site you might as well stop then. A lot of the problems you're describing exist on all gaming sites of a particular size, I do disagree about the quality of the articles though.

Dyltheman

Dyltheman said:

@Jazzer94
different folks different strokes i guess, all i'm saying is this site really isn't doing it for me, hope you understand ;) just hope you don't defend the fact that nlife remove any comment (inculding my last) that is critical towards them in any way.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@Dyltheman The mods replace the text of comments they deem unnecessary and included a note but leave them where they are so I'm not sure it was deleted might have been an error but maybe I'm wrong, again if the sites is no longer doing it for you either take a break or just leave no point visiting a place you don't enjoy.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

NES Remix 2 for me. Still waiting for Game & Watch Gallery 3 on 3DS VC, shouldn't be too long now it's been listed :)

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

NES Remix 2 and Yoshis Island for me ;)
And for all the usual whiners about Yoshis Island being the GBA version instead of the SNES one: Like many others said, the Super FX chip is part of the issue here. Nintendo is aiming to emulate games as close as possible to the original game. And although there are emulators which can run this game on some consoles, its anything but smooth sailing. The thing is: Since Nintendo has to charge money for it, they need to deliver a good job. The makers of said emulators dont charge you, so they can get away with some rough edges here and there. Thats a small but very important detail.
The GBA version of it is perfectly playable and even offers more content. If its all just about the "gameplay and design" as you people always claim, then why cant you just enjoy the perfectly fine port ?

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

Please don't say it's a Super FX chip issue. The Wii U is plenty powerful to emulate SNES games!! That's a ludicrous statement!!!

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

@Dreamcaster-X
Your missing the point. It's is nothing to do with power it's odiously an FX issue with the SNES emulator that Nintendo are using.

I'd say the issue is to do with costs. Nintendo could spend a lot of cash getting the emulator fixed so it could play FX games. Doing this would only allow them to release a couple of extra games (Stuntrace FX and Starfox) they're not going to release Yoshie's Island twice. So the extra money they make on the couple of games isn't going to cover the cost of the work needed on the emulator so it's not worth it, which is a pity because I would love Stuntrace FX.

Even famous emulators like Zsnes and Snes9x cannot play FX games properly.

pamplemousse_mk

pamplemousse_mk said:

This discussion about copyright or patent is curious. Argonaut doesn't exist anymore. If a company wants to produce today a new game using the Super FX, who should they pay to have the license?