Nintendo Download: 20th March (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Cross-platform chess, retro Dracula slaying, discounts galore and more

It's that time, Europe, and after two weeks of being delayed by a day the Download Update information has been unleashed promptly to kickstart our week. It includes an intriguing cross-platform release on Wii U and 3DS that could fill a nice gap in the eShop library, two NES titles and a host of discounts including some excellent games from Shin'en Multimedia and Renegade Kid. Without further pre-amble let's get to it.

Wii U eShop

Pure Chess (Ripstone, €5.99 / £4.99) — Arriving perhaps a little later than expected, this title — developed by VooFoo — arrives with some attractive HD visuals on the Wii U, as well as multiple control schemes, modes and tutorials. Most exciting is the news that online matches will be cross-platform between Wii U, 3DS, Android and iOS players, greatly opening up a world of opponents. Keep an eye out for our extensive coverage later this week, while in the meantime you can check out our Pure Chess hands-on impressions from last year.

Wii U Virtual Console

Castlevania (Konami, €4.99 / £3.49) — This is where Konami's iconic series began on NES, and now completes its quest across all currently available Virtual Console platforms. Full of classic moments, this action platformer is also pretty darn challenging and certainly a test for gaming veterans — we were still fans in our most recent Castlevania review. This is the US version of the game.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discount

Nano Assault Neo (Shin'en Multimedia, €7.49 / £6.70 until 10th April, normally €9.99 / £8.99)

3DS eShop

Pure Chess (Ripstone, €5.99 / £4.99) — This is the same title as that on the Wii U, albeit substituting HD visuals for autostereoscopic 3D. We'll provide coverage of both versions later this week.

3DS Virtual Console

Devil World (Nintendo, €4.99 / £3.49) — One of the lesser known early NES games from Shigeru Miyamoto, on the surface some may consider this a Pac-Man clone; that would be a tad inaccurate, as it stretches out the core idea of dashing around a maze with alternative objectives and clever twists to the environments. This may be fun on the go, and we were fans in our Wii Virtual Console Devil World review; we'll give this another whirl.

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

Nano Assault EX (Shin'en Multimedia, €7.49 / £6.35 until 10th April, normally €9.99 / £8.49)

Art of Balance TOUCH! (Shin'en Multimedia, €5.20 / £4.70 until 10th April, normally €6.99 / £6.29)

Jett Rocket II: The Wrath of Taikai (Shin'en Multimedia, €6.70 / £5.70 until 10th April, normally €8.99 / £7.66)

Mutant Mudds (Renegade Kid, €5.99 / £5.39 until 3rd April, normally €8.99 / £8.09)

Angry Bunnies (Cypronia, €4.85 / £4.49 until 17th April, normally €6.49 / £5.99)

Fishdom H2O: Hidden Odyssey (Cypronia, €3.74 / £3.35 until 17th April, normally €4.99 / £4.49)

3DS eShop Permanent Discount

My Exotic Farm (Bigben Interactive, €6.99 / £6.29, was €24.99 / £19.99)

Plenty to choose from this week. Let us know if you're planning to pick any of these up in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (198 votes)

Pure Chess (Wii U eShop)

22%

Castlevania (Wii U Virtual Console)

Nano Assault NEO (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

Pure Chess (3DS eShop)

Devil World (3DS Virtual Console)

Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Art of Balance TOUCH! (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Jett Rocket II: The Wrath of Taikai (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Mutant Mudds (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Angry Bunnies (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Fishdom H2O: Hidden Odyssey (3DS eShop temporary discount)

My Exotic Farm (3DS eShop permanent discount)

Both Pure Chess games (separate purchases)

Nothing for me this week

51%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

If Nintendo are lucky I will buy this on Wii U for the next 3 months:
March - Super Mario Kart
April - A GBA game
May - Mario Kart 8

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

Castlevania should be on everyone's list! I would be getting that first, and then Pure Chess. It's a shame to see it's still on 0%!

Mahe

Mahe said:

@Nintenjoe64 For me, it's all in April after I finish DKC: Tropical Freeze. Shovel Knight, NES Remix 2 and ALL THE GBA GAMES.

But after April, I have no idea. Not interested in Mario Kart.

Andyliini

Andyliini said:

Castlevania for me. Hopefully rest of the Castlevania-games follow soon after. Dracyla X is already rated in Australia, so maybe this is the beginning...

JohnG

JohnG said:

It seems like more people are getting increasingly fed up with this situation as each week goes by.
Does anyone from Nintendo read this in order to see the frustration?

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

I know a lot of people moan that there's no releases but I kind of like that there's not as much to buy, for one it means I can complete the games I have and also save money which makes me able to afford the special editions like thhe mario kart 8 bundle on the official nintendo store.
The problem with gaming these days is there is to many games to choose from these days makes it harder for someone who has less time and more commitments to complete anything.
I remember back in the days of the snes waiting an age for new releases

Marshi

Marshi said:

Im gettin bored of saying this every week...WHERE ARE ALL THE GAMES? Where is Strangers wrath? Where is gamecube vc?dreamcast vc? Heck WHY ARE WE GETTING 2 NES GAMES THAT ALREADY CAN BE BOUGHT ON THE WII? Why arent we getting big handfuls of snes,megadrive neogeo and n64 games on wiiu vc? The wii u e shop is crap

Mahe

Mahe said:

@JohnG There's not much Nintendo can do about it right now. They coupled the Wii U with the Gamepad, it didn't take off, many developers don't want to develop for it. Hence the lack of games, especially interesting ones.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Yay, 60Hz Castlevania. I will definitely do the upgrade for this one whenever i transfer all my Wii stuff to the Wii U.
Might also get Pure Chess if it's got good tutorials and things like that.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

3DS discounts are looking fine. Have to take a look at the Mutant Mudds for this week. Maybe also Jett Rocket II.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

damn didn't see the option for both Chess games haha I meant that one instead of just Wii U..oh well.

faint

faint said:

@Mahe actually a lot of the indie games are being delayed due to not being finished on time or difficultys with the rating board in Europe/that side of the world. The latter is why the American shop has more titles

polarbear

polarbear said:

Most likely Pure Chess on the Wii U, but I'll read the review first. Would be nice with a discount if you are getting it on the 3DS as well.

Mahe

Mahe said:

@faint The difference isn't all that big, and it would help if there was a wider retail presence as well as downloadable games from bigger publishers. Just think back to the recently cancelled Pac-Man collection - which still came out on other consoles. That's just the tip of the iceberg in showing that even download games are avoiding the eShop.

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

Slightly tempted by Jett Rocket & EX on the 3DS.

Will probably just wait it out for a bigger sale.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

If Europe can have Devil World then surely due to its more reasonable stance the Binding of Isaac should be fine.

faint

faint said:

@hiptanaka we have known for months it wasn't coming they didn't even want to release the first on the u during launch when sales were great. It sure is a shame those other platforms won't be getting bayonetta2 tho isn't it.

faint

faint said:

@Mahe um child of light and batman black gate hd both come next month as far as big third party downloadable content. Namco used working on wii sports and smash bros as the excuse with pacman stating the u version had fell behind in development because of it.

spizzamarozzi

spizzamarozzi said:

Stupid me for getting my hopes up and thinking there was going to be something actually worthwhile to download this week. Chess must be the punishment.

Olaf-symbiote

Olaf-symbiote said:

Yes! 60hz Castlevania! I've really been looking forward to this!

I hope Castlevania 2 will also come to PAL-land soon. "After Castlevania I warned you not to return!"

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

Here's hoping that one day, history will me made for NA on Devil World. The closest appearance in figure it has come was a character/image of it in Art Style: PiCTOBiTS.

Doubt NoA will import Devil World though, but hope I'm wrong on that!

cdude

cdude said:

The releases themselves are bad enough, but good god the prices make it seem that much worse. I just got the ultimate edition of castlevania lords of shadow for 4.99 on steam a few weeks back.

cdude

cdude said:

Game-Over

Game-Over said:

What's going on theirs virtually nothing to download for the Wii U, Castlevania's a decent game but more titles really need to be made available.

Neko_Rukiafan

Neko_Rukiafan said:

At least once GBA and DS VC are released things will likely improve since there are a ton of first party titles on those consoles. I think we'll eventually even get the Pokemon games via Wii U VC given the desperate situation the Wii U faces. So I wouldn't count the Wii U VC out just yet.

Plus I'm sure most third parties are still under contract for their GBA and DS games so third parties would either have to release said classic games on the Wii U or not release them at all, so things could improve quite drastically in the upcoming months. ;)

Agent721

Agent721 said:

I was just playing devil world this weekend...it's strangely addictive. Cool to have just based on it being one of Miyamotos first games...and I think it's harder than Pacman. Of interest is the devil in this game...he looks like Ganon from the original Zelda, yet this game is from 1984.

Windy

Windy said:

@PinkSpider I feel exactly the same way. the amount of games coming out and go on sale each week is actually pretty staggering. I also am a compulsive buyer. back in the old days waiting for games made me appreciate that game a bit more :) Thank god I only play one system these days. (3ds) I couldnt imagine playing all of them as fast as games do come out. I'm not into the VC games but really they should be loading up in that department.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

Whoa you guys sure are pissed O.o.

Have you thought about the possibility that Ninty will release a couple more VC titles following the direct? It's not uncommon, they do that all the time! I'll have my hopes up because I'm pretty sure we'll get a direct sometime this week.

Advance war DS VC PLZZZZZ.

xj0462

xj0462 said:

i wonder if devil world will come to the american eshop or not... probably not...

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

I have always wanted to get Devil World. Europe always gets our NES and Game Boy exclusives, so why can't we have at least one of theirs? All I'm asking is Devil World, Fire Emblem, and the Mother series to comes to the 3DS VC Nintendo.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

I'm not sure why people expect so many games a week - and generally it's ont just a particular number of games, but rather a particular number of games that they like, which is different to the type of games the next eprson likes.
If Nintendo tried to keep everyone happy, then everyone would be disappointed with the shovelware on the system. It takes time & money to make a game (even a VC port), and Nintendo can't pull them from nowhere.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

Personally, I'm getting Pure Chess. I was liking it before, but the low price is making me want it even more.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@MadAdam81 Don't think it is unreasonable to want a decent amount of stuff across a diverse set of genres you like. Shouldn't be necessary to buy stuff you don't really even want just because there is no other choice.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

This looks like a good week of EU eShop, to me. I think perhaps that people who own a 3DS OR Wii U, but not the other, are the ones being disappointed.

If you have both consoles, alot more content comes out every week, obviously.

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

Wow very bad week once again! What the hell is going on in NOE HQ? Sure the sales are great for people who missed the last sales of certain games, keep that up!

Things are so bad on the eshop that I went onto the Wii shop channel yoke thing at the weekend and bought Mario64, Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG and Sonic 2. Wow the camera is annoying in Mario64, it could use an update. Sure it's great to have these games but I want them on my WiiU not emulated Wii.

I do have €50 sitting on my eshop account for ages so technically Nintendo already got my money so why would they add stuff to the eshop.

I would think when the GBA and DS games come to the WiiU eshop it will be the same, 3 big games the first week then maybe one a week or nothing after that, trickle them out just like always.

Sad state of affairs overall on the eshop.

Also I am pretty sure Pokemon games won't come to WiiU eshop, as the company that make the games do not want them on home console no matter what. Don't you think we would have at least seen one Pokemon game on the 3ds VC by now?

Wouldn't hold my breath on that. Also, I'm totally not a fan of pokemens so, bla.