Julius Caesar Will Be Taking the Battle to the Field in Mad Men Football

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Rome wasn't developed in a day...

Mad Men Football is one of the most intriguing recent reveals for the Wii U eShop, with developer AE Games initially grabbing attention with a call-to-arms for smaller developers to step into the places vacated by some major third parties. That aside there's a game in the works, nevertheless, which promises high impact Gridiron with "an historical twist".

This American Football game certainly sounds like a throwback to some of the wackier sports games we may have seen in the past, even if the studio is still currently in the developer approval process with Nintendo. Despite this David Tenorio, the concept artist for the developer that previously produced an image of George Washington for the game, has given us an early look at the next confirmed character — Julius Caesar. The Roman Emperor will, we'd imagine, be quite imposing on the football field.

Further details will surely emerge down the line once the studio has secured its developer status, though it's been keen to emphasize the legitimacy of its project. We'll see how well Mad Men Football delivers on its promise of a fun Gridiron game, and we'll be curious to see how these historic leaders will feature. We wouldn't want to mess with Caesar's defence line-up, anyway.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

It's not that I don't believe this game will ever be made, it's more so that I think there are probably thousands of people who want to be game developers and have drawn a picture, so I don't know why this one gets coverage.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Heh, a slow news day. Though it outta be interesting seeing Julius casear playing football
@BMDNERD Ya outta be stupid to not have a multiplayer on a sports game. cough*Madden3ds*cough

noctowl

noctowl said:

If it's anything like tecmo bowl and nothing like an EA game, it'll be a day one buy.

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

The guy 'developing' this game has a crappy looking website, no Nintendo development approval, and has only posted two crappy sketches as proof of this game's existence.

I could literally lay claim to those same credentials in a couple hours....so when can I expect to have an article posted about my game??

Squid

Squid said:

So they can draw two of these undetailed sketches of the characters in two months but they can't make a decent-looking teaser for the game?

Untitled

This picture is from their official website.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@JohnRedcorn Depends whether you say you are making a Metroidvania with strong Megaman influences. (Which in the end can be absolutely anything). Then a few days later do a Kickstarter.

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

@unrandomsam

Close. It will be a Metroidvania game where you play as Sir John A. Macdonald, the first prime minister of Canada.

Here is my first concept sketch

Untitled

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

I'll leave my doubts to the side for a second and say that I'm excited by this idea. A sports game, untethered from a yearly lineup change, would be nice. I can still enjoy, say, Mutant League Football, far more than I can the Madden released that same year. It has a timeless quality to it. That said, I'd prefer soccer. And yes, that's coming from an American.

JJtheTexan

JJtheTexan said:

Sir Copyright Infringement used "Cease and Desist Order"! It's super effective!

Seriously, I like the game concept, but there is no way they'll get to keep the name. Both EA and AMC will come after them.

(For those unaware, AMC is the American network that airs a popular drama series titled "Mad Men")

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

You would think for a video game company they would have a better looking website than what they have.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

I wonder... if someone had shown Julius Caesar a glimpse of the future, and allowed him to see what life would be like in 2,000 years, what would be his thoughts on reducing his "honor and divine leadership" to nothing more than a comical video game character? He'd probably have had that person thrown to the lions in the Colosseum lol, "this is an outrage!!!"

Discostew

Discostew said:

Just waiting for AE Games to come out and say "Hope you liked our attempt to look amateurish, but you know, things aren't always what they seem.", to which the website goes into professional mode.

Warbeard

Warbeard said:

Wow, all of you guys focusing on the website visuals and calling the developers amateurs seem like a bunch of can't-swear-in-the-comments. How about giving the guys some positive reinforcement?

Zach

Zach said:

I'm getting more excited about this game as the days turn into night and the shadows grow long

Warbeard

Warbeard said:

@Captain_Toad Apparently it's the company's first game - the website isn't very good looking, but I don't see how that matters a lot. It seemed like people here were ganging up on the poor guys making games for them -.-

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

@Warbeard The kicker though is from his speech that he'll be providing game for the little console that could (WiiU) that was apparently the main target of the day. Besides the fact that he needs a graphic designer ....like NAO I'll count down the days he shows us a game that surprises us all!.....for better or for worse or that he folds. Heh, he probably needs all the support he can get though i do see this isn't how it's supposed to be done ,if anything it's discouraging wherever you have something to prove. Like the news quote said "Rome wasn't built in a day."

Squid

Squid said:

@Warbeard: the poor guy* — I believe from the website that it is simply one person and an artist that he recently got for the art. He claims to have contacted a voice actor, but we'll know if that's real later... Anyways, I get what you're saying, but 'positive reinforcement' ought to only be given unless I've actually seen something from the game; as it stands, all we have is George 'n' Julius. I want to see gameplay before I start getting excited.

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

@CaptainSquid I saw this image as well on their official site. You should also note that the founder of AE is not a graphic artist but more of a programmer and stated that he was getting an artist to begin making the concept art. I still agree with you that this image is terrible! But, the concept art gives me some type of hope for this game not being atrocious.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

@Warbeard You're absolutely right that people should be encouraged instead of bashed when they are pursuing their dreams or goals. For my part I extend my sincere encouragement to the guy. Keep working on what you love. My skepticism is not directed towards him in any sort of negative way. I simply don't understand why NintendoLife has singled out this one person with only an idea to continue to talk about. There are lots of people who haven't made games before who have ideas. At the very most this seems to deserve perhaps 1 feel good story about an amateur's dream, not a new article for character reveals like this is Smash Bros. I just hope that if there's another article about the game, it's that the guy wowed Nintendo with his alpha build of the game and got his developer approval. Not that he paid someone to sketch Abraham Lincoln.

rumple88

rumple88 said:

I for one know nothing about game development, with that said I love the concept and the sketches so far. Keep up the great work! There are only 2 kinds of people in the world dreamers and haters.

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

I doubt it'll happen, but EA can retaliate back by actually giving WiiU owners Madden this year.

Yomerodes

Yomerodes said:

Julius Caesar was never emperor of Rome.

For shame Nintendo Life, for shame. The European tradition and legacy of the site is shedding a tear right now.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

Oh no, it's such a shame that a GAME developer, who is very early on in the procress of making their first GAME hasn't put any effort into the website, even though they are not WEBSITE developers.

3MonthBeef

3MonthBeef said:

If Caesar gets tackled by Gaius Cassius Longinus and Marcus Junius Brutus I hope the ref checks for stab wounds.

edhe

edhe said:

This is an absolute farce.

I'd like to think Nintendolife aren't telling us something important - like the developer is an established (or at least experienced) name subverting our expectations with godawful imaging skills like the one earlier in the comments, before releasing an awesome game down the line, but I really can't see that being the case.

In any case, it's far to early to be showing off the project. If all we've got is two pieces of concept art, then the game will need at least a full year of development before it'll be ready to be released.

If this developer has the skills, then they should have kept it under their hat for a bit longer. They aren't Konami or Capcom. No-one's going to give a toss about their project at this stage.

kenzo

kenzo said:

They want to call this 'Mad Men Football' then there will be trouble.

It sounds a lot like 'Madden Football', an extremely well known gridiron video game franchise.

They will be lucky to get the ball over the line.

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

@MadAdam81

If he can't make a professional looking website, what hope is there that he can produce a video game? Let alone one that gets publishing approval on the Wii-U?

There has been no evidence yet that this game even exists, yet this is like the fourth article about it! Very embarrassing.

wombatkidd

wombatkidd said:

@JJtheTexan in order to have s trademark violation, the violator has to be in the same trade. This is how things like microsoft cloths' Quaker steak and lube, and dumb Starbucks exist. TV and games aren't the same thing

JJtheTexan

JJtheTexan said:

@wombatkidd they're both forms of entertainment, so they are certainly in the same category. Further, US copyright and trademark law protects names and identities from anything that sounds similar and could cause confusion to consumers. In this case, Mad Men is an exact copy of a well-known TV show. I'm not a lawyer, but I do work with intellectual property law and media cases on a daily basis and my job, and I can tell you this will not survive a challenge in the courts

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

@JJtheTexan

So are you telling me my upcoming game "Breaking Bad Golf" could run into some legal trouble? Hmmm....maybe I will just call it "Diff'rent Strokes" instead.

wombatkidd

wombatkidd said:

@JJtheTexan there was a n64 game and a TV show both called "another world" there's a million shows and movies called "imaginarium" there's two shows called "the newsroom," there's a movie and album called "in dream"' and theres a billion books and movies that straight up have the same name. Including several movies named "troll 3"

All those were released just fine.