Dr. Luigi announced for Wii U eShop

Posted by Lewis Childs

The Year of Luigi continues

During today’s Nintendo Direct presentations it was announced that Dr. Luigi will be coming to the Wii eShop. Based on the classic puzzler Dr. Mario, Dr. Luigi also requires players to line up colour-coded pills to destroy viruses.

Dr. Luigi offers an original mode called 'Operation L' where the pills are, of course, L-shaped. Operation L apparently makes the game slightly easier to play, as each pill in this mode is essentially two capsules fused into one. In Germ Buster mode - as featured in the Brain Training series - the Wii U GamePad is held vertically and the touchscreen is used to rotate and drag pills to their desired location. A Dr. Mario mode is also included.

The game features a number of difficulty and attack settings in multiplayer games, which can be played locally and online. One of these attack settings rewards players for lining up combos, which then affects their opponent by changing their next pill at the last second, ultimately making things more difficult for them.

Dr. Luigi launches on the Wii U eShop on 31st December for $14.99 in North America, and on 15th January for £13.49 in Europe.

Let us know what you think of this one in the comments section below.

BalrogtheMaster

BalrogtheMaster said:

Probably going to wait until a discount. This is almost identical to the WiiWare Dr.Mario (Except for Operation L), and I already have Brain Age.

Stubborn_Monkey

Stubborn_Monkey said:

It may or may not be Lupus.

Dunno what kind of health system they've got in the Mushroom Kingdom, but those plumbers seem all too happy to go around popping pills... then again, they've saved the land several times...

millarrp

millarrp said:

Even though the price is a little steep I will probably get it sooner rather then later...too bad they're not offering an upgrade price for those that have the WiiWare Dr. Mario,

NbaJunkie

NbaJunkie said:

Online justifies the price...This year of luigi nonsense is ridiculous.When all any fan wants to see is luigis mansion for wiiu. not these rebrands...

gloom

gloom said:

Um, excuse you all. This is a brand new game that is better than some remake of Dr. Mario. I also don't see the problem with the year of Luigi, like we've been given additional games and content rather than what we would have gotten otherwise so why are you complaining??? The game looks great and by the way the price isn't that steep I'll definitely get this day 1.

bngrybt

bngrybt said:

I'm colorblind and I think this sucks. The bright primary colors of the old Dr Mario I can differentiate just fine, but the new purply looking one looks so much like the light blue to me that I won't be able to play this at all. Oh well.

ECMIM

ECMIM said:

I think what we're seeing with this pricing (and NES Remix) is a tacit admission that Nintendo is going to start running discounts pretty heavily, so they're going to make it seem like an artificially better deal when it's at $10, even though that's the price that should have been the ceiling for games like these.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Meh news, I would only get it if it's any different from Dr. Mario Online. Also let the year of Luigi end already, we already got what we want from it, now we need some new IPs or at the very least some good old ones I'm talking new Star Fox, Metroid, Kirby, F-Zero, etc., you got that Ninty?

Toodles

Toodles said:

Oh man, can't wait for this! I love Dr. Mario, especially Online RX and Express, so more of the same is okay by me for this series. Though am I the only one who finds it a little odd that Dr. Luigi is still wearing his hat instead of a head mirror?

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@Toodles Hey yeah! I knew there was something off about Luigi but I just couldn't point out what it was. Definitely the lack of a head mirror.

antipop621

antipop621 said:

Mario and Luigi must have pretty good grades to have gotten into medical school. Wish I did!

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

Along with Mario Kart,Dr Mario was far and away my most played game on the Wii.I'd fire it on when I got home from backshift at 12 and still be playing online battles when the sun come up haha.I'd then go to bed and dream about giant combos (really) I'm sure it cost 1000 pts on the Wii,but with the amount of times I clocked in late for work and got docked salary because of my addiction to popping those pills and that music,it probably cost me the equivalent of well over 10,000 in the end :-)

electrolite77

electrolite77 said:

I mean, I quite fancy this because of the amount of time I put into Dr.Mario online on the Wii but that is expensive. Not a day one for me.Shame.

LightSuitGuy

LightSuitGuy said:

Really excited for this! Dr. Mario Online RX was a bit tough for me, so its great to hear it'll be easier. I'm scheduling an appointment for Dr. Luigi! :D

My only gripe is the price; $15 seems a little steep for both this and NES Remix. I think $10 would be a bit more reasonable IMO.

2Sang

2Sang said:

This should be 10 bucks not 15.
What an out of nowhere game looks cool but not 15 bucks cool

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

It's a couple of bucks. Simply pass on one fast food item and you'll have the money. I mean, geez.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

This is pretty cute, though my current funds, NES Remix, and Wii Sports Club: Golf might make me pass. I'm not really good at this kind of puzzle anyway.

Luigi789

Luigi789 said:

yay looks good and come on people stop complaining i think this game is great and $ 15 is fine by me nice to see some more good games coming on Wii U

aronatvw

aronatvw said:

Why won't they bring back four player vs.?! Or what about four player 2 on 2 team battle, come on Nintendo, take my ideas they are free!

element187

element187 said:

@SparkOfSpirit I could buy it a hundred times over if I want, the amount of money isn't the issue, it's balancing the asking price with the enjoyment I would get out of it. The offer needs to match the enjoyment for me to bite.

cmk8

cmk8 said:

£13.49 for a revamped Dr Mario with a few new modes is too much for me.
I'll wait for a massive sale, then consider buying it.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

What I can't figure out is sense when are Mario and Luigi both plumbers AND doctors?

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I may still consider it down the road. It's nice that it does have online. I didn't play the Dr. Mario game on Wii.

Adam

Adam said:

If this didn't look exactly like Dr. Mario Rx but with a new mode I'm not interested in, I'd be excited. Dr. Mario in any form is generally greatness.

shredmeister

shredmeister said:

Anyone remember that there was a Dr. Wario as well? (It was a bonus game on Wario Ware for the GBA)

Anyways, hopefully there is enough content to justify the $15 price tag.

Gold

Gold said:

Well, there goes my hopes for it being free.... NES Remix and now this.

Dauntless

Dauntless said:

$15 is not an impulse buy for this game. I will eventually get it, but not on day one.

simonsaysno

simonsaysno said:

nes remix and this game totally made my day!!. im a huge retro fan. i love you nintendo. i wanna get u pregnant .lmao

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

Looks like a good game but I'm kind of stunned about the price. I'll be waiting for a discount.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

@electrolite77 @element187 How does one qualify $5 of enjoyment?

It's still only $5.

@Devilbro

$5 is apparently worth quibbling over because they can get $10 of value out of this game they've never played but not $15 worth based on one video. I mean, five dollars.Especially with the digital promotion, it seems like such a minor thing to harp on.

komodo182

komodo182 said:

Not sure if this is worth $15, same goes for NES remix. Sorry guys-poor student here.

CrispyGoomba

CrispyGoomba said:

I know people have different standards, but $15 is too much for this game. Having played Dr. Mario before, I can't see me getting my money's worth here. Hoping for a half price sale in the future.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

$15 is too much. I'd love if they had an upgrade discount for owners of Online Rx cause that's what this game basically is. An hd upgrade with a new game mode. Plus Virus buster doesn't look multiplayer to me.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

@Doma It should have been Dr. Captain Falcon. You go into the body and Falcon Punch and Kick the viruses out of them whilst speeding through the veins in the Blue Falcon.

wombatkidd

wombatkidd said:

@SparkOfSpirit It's not worth arguing with these people. If it WAS $10, they'd complain it wasn't 8. If it was 8 they'd complain it wasn't 5. If it was 5 they'd complain it wasn't $0.30. If it was $0.30 they'd complain it wasn't free.

Anguspuss

Anguspuss said:

I loved the original but £13.49 is a bit steep. Mind you soo many great sale deals that it will have to wait. Might be a lack of retail games but the eshop is looking better & better. Just need them to price Nintendo full games at a respectable price.

Henmii

Henmii said:

The new germs look awful! I guess Nintendo's character designers had a day off?