Oh Yes, The Mario Galaxy Stage is Confirmed for the New Super Smash Bros.

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Gosh

Even though its release date isn't set, and that very few people in the world have actually played the games, we're rather hyped about Super Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS. This anticipation is helped by Masahiro Sakurai's daily image uploads, which we summarise every week to bring some joy to each gloomy Monday.

So Smash Bros. is awesome, but we suspect most have thought it'd be even more awesome if it paid homage to two of the greatest games ever released — Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2. There have been little hints to it in some screens that have led to fevered speculation, but Sakurai-san has now published the image above showing off the stage in all of its glory. He said the following in the Miiverse post:

Pic of the day. A new stage, Mario Galaxy!! The pull of gravity emanates from the center of the planet, so this will require using brand-new tactics.

The gravity aspect was one of the defining features of the Super Mario Galaxy titles, so it'll be fascinating to see how that comes into play in the final game. Of course the screen and confirmation is for Wii U, and it's unclear whether the stage will feature on the 3DS as each version will have unique stages — we hope Nintendo includes this level on both, as having this option at home and on the go would be terrific and, most importantly, prevent a horde of frustrated 3DS gamers storming Nintendo HQ.

Whether it's on both platforms or not, this may be a candidate for the coolest stage to be revealed yet. Do you agree?

[via smashbros.com]

Related Games

Nomad

Nomad said:

Looks good. I wonder if the fights can be played all the way around the planet?

Znerd

Znerd said:

Finaly been waiting forever for them to announce a Galaxy stage

Znerd

Znerd said:

Soo Nintendo about a stage from each 3d Mario like 64 or 3D World

yokokazuo

yokokazuo said:

@Nomad judging from sakurai's comment on his mii verse post, it has edges... It would b cool to be able to run around the whole planet though, but that looks like it would possibly be too big

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

I knew it would happen but it would of been nice if it was the first planet in good egg galaxy (flat planet) and you could go to the under side but not fall off.

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

Smash Bros is a love letter to all the things that make Nintendo what they are, and what is unique about the company.

And at the moment, Nintendo is all about hearing what the fans say, and working towards what they want is possible.

I want something/someone from Wonderful 101 please!

Goginho

Goginho said:

Actually, seeing that airship makes me wonder how awesome it would be to battle there, all the while moving across the galaxy.

Kirk

Kirk said:

So, do we think Rosalina will probably be a playable character too?

I mean she's already in Super Mario 3D World, which Nintendo has already said is basically to further appeal to that female audience, so I wouldn't be surprised if she appears as a main playable character here too, for that very same reason.

Edit: Just had proper look at the stage... Now this actually looks potentially quite cool because it seems that the whole stage and background stuff etc is going to rotate as the players run around it, which could be very impressive, at least visually, if done properly. The actual arena you fight on is mostly flat, or round I guess, but if the whole world spinning around things works, I think that will properly make up for the lack of height and platforms as such because you'll have a hard enough time not getting motion sickness lol.

Pod

Pod said:

Oh my, a mostly flat, and very expansive level with a simple twist. :3

I hope they don't go too overboard with Bowser's ships shooting at you and other distractions.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

How are they going to manage the 3D aspect, since SSB has always been a 2D fighter? Current screenshots of other stages also show the 2D fighting to continue? If it's going to be a 'travelling' stage (like rainbow ride or mute city) then how will the 'Galaxy' feel be maintained?

JimLad

JimLad said:

AWESOME
Would love to be able to knock people flying round and round the planet though. :)

FishieFish

FishieFish said:

Looks pretty neat!
I wonder if it's like the Castle Siege stage or the Delfino Plaza stage where it has diffirent stages in the stage.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I've been expecting a Super Mario Galaxy stage for a while, so I'm very happy to finally see it. It's nice to see that this stage takes things from both games, with Gateway Galaxy's main planet, Starship Mario with Lubba and Lumas on it, Bowser's airships, and King Kaliente's planet being in the background. I think the Comet Observatory could zoom by like a comet too, and considering it's the most iconic object in Super Mario Galaxy, it would only make sense for it to make an appearance too. Rosalina could make a cameo too like Lubba. This is definitely my favorite stage so far.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Wow, Good Egg Galaxy sure looks magical. :o
This will be a great setting to destroy you all as Fox Mcloud...Ahem, that is if there's no online lag to worry about which completely crippled Brawl. ;)

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Though it's expected, it's still cool that they really are implementing a gravity system for this stage too.

It's worth pointing out that Sakurai posted in the comments section for the first time with this.
Untitled
"Here's what happens when you stand by the edges. Vertical jumps and getting hit upward will shoot you up diagonally."
You can see the Toad Brigade's mushroom spaceship in the background.

Spanjard

Spanjard said:

Aah, great news! I'm curious if more different mechanics like the "gravity" are being introduced. It would make for some interesting and varied gameplay.

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

Highly doubt that players will be able to traverse the entire planet. It can become a nuisance and prolong the inevitable in some cases too.

allav866

allav866 said:

Mario Galaxy came to mid when I tried to imagine what certain games would be like as stages in SSB, and I imagined it would use gravity-based physics, but with a 360º traversible planet, and it seemed like a bad idea, but I'm glad Sakurai is awesome enough to think the same idea, but make it work!

MorriganIsHot

MorriganIsHot said:

Was hoping either this or the rosalina ship as a stage. Here's hoping rosalina and palutena are playable.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I am really liking this stage. And Rosalina as a playable character would be beyond awesome.

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

Perhaps the planet itself will spin? Also could gravity mechanic be in the sonic lost world level as well? There was something to the stage that they said theyd reveal at a later date?

Leu10antFalcon

Leu10antFalcon said:

SORA have done it again! The Mario Galaxy stage looks incredibly OFF THE FREAKIN' CHAIN!!!!! Next year is gonna be epic for Nintendo, SORA, and Namco-Bandai!

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I hate how if I don't want spoilers for the new Smash Bros I have to literally stop coming to gaming sites. They seem to want to spoil every last thing before the game releases.

And I'm not getting on anyone's case or anything, I know this is all a part of the industry. It's just funny that there won't be a story mode because people tend to spoil it, and at the same time the creators themselves are showing us everything else. With no surprises and no story mode, I'm thinking I'm going to skip out on this iteration, to be honest.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@Hunter-D Actually, there is a way the players could traverse the whole level without causing issues with combat. The planet could rotate on it's own so instead of scrolling only horizontally or vertically it does both at once.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I hope the entire planet is accessible with there being no "edge". It might make the stage utterly unbalanced, unfair, and broken, but hey, nobody said you had to use it for competitions. Brawl's stages were utterly boring.

raith

raith said:

This is awesome! If they include the Galaxy music tracks within the stage, like Gusty Garden, I will have the biggest smile on my face.

WreckItRyan

WreckItRyan said:

To get in the mood of being in outer space, I'm gonna be holding my breath for the lovely Rosalina :D

Geno92

Geno92 said:

I new way back when Brawl came out that they were going to make a Mario Galaxy stage. Mario galaxy came out four months before brawl so they didn't have enought time to put a galaxy-themed stage in.

Looking forward to smash my friends off this stage with link.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

That stage looks so awesome. Now I really wanna hear the game's remix of Gusty Garden Galaxy. We all know its there.

SG9000

SG9000 said:

What can I say excpet this: Oh my God, it's about time!!! There's finally a Mario stage that i think looks awesome.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

HELL YES
Now what about that Awkward Zombie strip that joked about Galaxy's absence in Brawl, back in the day...? Whatever, this is what I've been hoping for.
Also, yeah. Hopefully this will be on the 3DS version as well, but, what with the handheld version only getting stages from handheld games... yep, you get the picture.
Of course, it won't even take a split second before SmashBoards and its overly competitive players ban the heck out of this stage.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@Hunter-D I'd say they'd probably be rotated off the feasible area and die sort of like the Mushroom Kingdom and Ice Climber levels where not moving results in death.

That should keep people from simply just running away to the other side of the map.

Mikky

Mikky said:

The more stages, the more replayability the game has! The more replayability the game has, the better!