Check Out How Mega Man Looks On The 3DS Version Of Super Smash Bros.

Posted by Andy Green

The Blue Bomber confirmed for the 3DS adaptation

During last week's E3 Nintendo Direct, Mega Man was revealed as a new challenger in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. title and we even got to see him in action.

However, while we saw what the likes of Mario, Link and Pikachu battle in out the 3DS version of the game, we only got to see what the Blue Bomber would look like on the Wii U. For those unaware, the 3DS game will have a unique cel-shaded look that's designed to make the characters stand out a little more on the naturally smaller screen.

Well, Nintendo has now posted new screenshots on the official Super Smash Bros. website showing Mega Man in the 3DS adaptation and thankfully he looks just as fantastic as he does in the Wii U version.

Mega Man's design is taken from NES series of titles and he has a large range of attacks, from his humble blaster to the special moves he's acquired from defeated Robot Masters.

What do you think to Mega Man's design on the 3DS version of Super Smash Bros.? Which do you prefer, his Wii U or 3DS look? Let us know in the comment section below.

[via smashbros.com, gameinformer.com]

Related Games

DaveGX

DaveGX said:

Unfortunately, doesn't look as good as the Wiiu version. This picture, kinda looks like someone drew around the edges.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

These pics have already been floating around since the E3 direct. I was able to immediately tell it was the 3DS version, because of the outlines.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Not too bad actually. Then again seeing it from a website vs a 3ds makes all the difference.....

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

Erm...

I saw these pics on Day 1 on the Smash Bros. Dojo...

...And yes, I'm still calling it the Dojo...

RR529

RR529 said:

Can't wait! (also, it was also assumed he'd be in it, since Sakurai already said they'd share the same roster. It was only the stages that are supposed to be different)

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@DaveGX

the 3ds will never look as good as the Wii U, that should be obvious, and they said they put a black border around the characters on the 3DS version otherwise it was harder to see them on the small screen.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

@KongFu

It's 'cel-shading,' not 'cell-shading.' Anyway, I don't really think it's cel-shading. A black outline doesn't always mean it's cel-shaded.

Lostog

Lostog said:

"Well, Nintendo has now posted new screenshots on the..."
correction.
"Well, Nintendo has SINCE THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE EXISTS posted new screenshots on the..."
really sometimes NL

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@TwilightV Remember me that i seriously need to battle you online to show you, what this "sandbag" can dish out you meanie :P

Also, on topic: I REALLY like the cel shaded look of the 3DS version. It looks very awesome and makes for a nice contrast to the sleek and clear console version. A much better aproach than to have two identical looking versions. Even if the games end up beeing the same content wise, you always have something different to look at :)

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I reckon getting SSB on the 3DS won't be a huge priority of mine... I'll probably do it eventually, but the Wii U version seems to be a day-one purchase.

I don't know, the presentation looks cute, and I'd definitely be all over it if it was the only version available. But I just don't see the appeal of double dipping this time. SSB is all about the multiplayer; it's not like I'll be missing out on the game plot or anything by sticking to the Wii U version (unlike Sonic: Lost Worlds, for example, if they're actually two separate games).

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I already knew Mega Man is in the 3DS version too, but it's cool seeing him in it. The cel-shaded look should be interesting to see in-person. Everyone's been cutting down on the 3DS version for slowing down development, but I think it'll actually be pretty good considering this will be Smash Bros. on the go. That alone has appeal.

I'll be getting both versions for sure!

AVahne

AVahne said:

Except 3DS version doesn't even use a cel-shaded style;it's just outlined.

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

I'll buy both day 1, and as my fellow users have been saying...

WHY REE YA SHOEING THIS? IT'S BEN HAIR SINCE DAY 1!!

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

@Koto I'm pretty sure it's cell-shaded. I'm no graphic-anylist-wizard-bomber, but so many people said it's cell-shaded. How can it not be?

No, I didn't think it's cell-shaded because a load of people said so, I just picked it up from the trailer.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

@Sensei_Sendai Well, the same is true here... but by the time the game arrives next year, hopefully the Wii U will be a lot more popular.

That, and SSB really is at its best as an in-person experience for me; so it's just a matter of getting a bunch of friends to my place to play on my console anyway. :)

AVahne

AVahne said:

@HeatBombastic
Compare it to Wind Waker and Jet Set Radio.
The shading here is more akin to Brawl; the characters just have a black outline around them, which is why people automatically assume it's cel shaded.

Jewelarchon

Jewelarchon said:

Andy, Sakurai-san shared that all characters will be the same for both versions last week. Because of hardware limitations, the differences will be in the stages, mainly.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Love that look. Really wish he was in a re-imagined 3D Mega Man with that look.

The outline is not cel-shading. It is an outline and will be super useful on the small screen to keep track of characters, makes it look much sharper, and would even look good on the Wii U honestly.

Cel-shading is mimicking the look of painted cels from the days of acetate cel based animation (Flash-style animations like My Little Pony have helped keep the vibrant style alive). Sections of the heavy-lined drawing would be painted in a nice solid color, or maybe 2 or 3 shades (highlight and shadow) to give it some form. The solid sections of colors make it cel-shaded and yes there are large solid outlines included, but not just a silhouette (with feature-filled textures) like above. This is why the original Wind Waker is considered cel-shaded because of its solid bands of color on the models.

Anyway, it's semantics. It looks great and saying an outline makes it look "bad" or something is completely odd given how abstract and mixed the styles of these characters are. It's not like they are going for photorealistic here. :P

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

i like the look of the game. sure the wiiU version looks better but what where you expecting?

Doma

Doma said:

Will be the only version i end up buying if it turns out good. The characters look fine to me, while the backgrounds are pretty hideous and worse than a DS game (are those cardboard mountains i'm seeing..). I suppose they'll be improved on over time though.

Mortenb

Mortenb said:

3ds looks nicest I think. That style would look even better on wii u though.

mookysam

mookysam said:

So long as the framerate is stable, the stages aren't too "busy" for the small screen and it doesn't end up being a cut down version of the Wii U game with missing features, then I would be happy to buy the 3DS one. :-)

I like the dark outlines, it gives it its own visual character.

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

These aren't new. They've been on the SmashBros website since the reveal. Oh well, he still looks great though but THAT BACKGROUND THEME on the trailer... Sumptuous!

Squid

Squid said:

Er, I thought Sakurai already stated that the roster for both versions would be the same?

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

A lot of people complaining about the art style of the 3DS version's characters compared to the Wii U version's, and I can't understand the ignorance. The Wii U is HD, the 3DS is not. It's a pretty plain and simple answer as to why the art styles are different. It's a brilliant move to not copy the Wii U version and make the 3DS it's own.

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

Oh but was this obvious that megaman would b in the 3ds version too? Early on it was said that the character roster would be more or less match both systems. But hey. I'm all for getting confirmations too, "Yay!!!!" I can't wait to play both games!!

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

As long as he's in both, that's awesome, I'm buying both versions anyways. Imagine if this is Capcom instead of Namco developing this game, half the roster would be a paid on-disc/on-cart DLC. So glad Nintendo got Namco instead of Capcom.

DaveGX

DaveGX said:

@KongFu: yes, I realize it's cell shading. Still, I like things to look clearer than this, as appearing from the launch trailer itself. I certainly couldn't understand why they'd want it to look this way; If they can make Super Mario 3D Land look the way it looks on a console, just as Super Mario 3D World matches its look on Wii U respectively, I don't see why not the chars for even this version of Super Smash Bros. Just saying.

Drobotic

Drobotic said:

Still hoping for Pac-Man,or at least Bomberman,seeing how Namco was the reason Hudson Soft is no longer with us today.

hydeks

hydeks said:

He looks the same as the Wii U version to me :P I love that they picked the original Mega Man, he's a true Nintendo classic! :) Wouldn't it be awesome if they offered Mega Man X and Zero as dlc? I would pay for both, definitely.

Emblem

Emblem said:

"It's not absolutely clear if all characters from the Wii U version will be available on the 3DS iteration, but these screenshots essentially confirm Mega Man will be on both games."

You can amend this as its been confirmed Wii U and 3DS will share the same characters.

siavm

siavm said:

These pics were live on the site on Tuesday. I like the look of the 3ds game. And the outlines may look a little funny but once we play this next year people will be thankful for them. As it makes the characters easy to see, something that will be a little harder on the 3ds screen.

Banazir_Galbasi

Banazir_Galbasi said:

The line up will be the same Sakurai said "The reality of the situation unfortunately is that there are certain limitations on the 3DS. The 3DS and Wii U versions of the next Smash Bros will have the same library of characters. So we're forced into the situation where we may need to reduce some characters to a certain degree. but we're really working hard in order to include as many characters as possible."

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

I like it! I really hope that Mega Man isn't as cheap/over powered of a character as say... Sonic the Hedgehog, or Lucas were.

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

Guys, all characters from Wii U SSB4 will be in 3DS SSB4. If not, transferring 3DS to Wii U wouldn't work, because Wii U could get 3DS exclusives but 3DS couldn't get Wii U exclusives.

AbuJaffer

AbuJaffer said:

@Dev Cutting down on the 3DS game for slowing down development is ridiculous. Sakurai himself said he only agreed to do a new Smash Bros. for the 3DS, Iwata was the one that forced him to make a console version. People should be incredibly happy that there's a 3DS version, or we might never have seen a new Smash Bros. (or at least, not one from Sakurai).

Rect_Pola

Rect_Pola said:

I love how they didn't use the "official" Mega Man design, who's much leaner. The squat proportions perfectly fit the original sprite.