Intelligent Systems Isn't Done With Advance Wars Just Yet

Posted by Damien McFerran

More mobile war-gaming on the horizon?

Intelligent Systems has recently reinvigorated the Fire Emblem franchise with Fire Emblem: Awakening, one of the best 3DS games to date. It would seem that the studio is keen to perform the same trick with one of its other famous properties, too.

Speaking in an interview on the official Fire Emblem site, Awakening's project manager Masahiro Higuchi had this to say:

Whether it's Fire Emblem or the Advance Wars, we never want to put an end to any series we're involved with. We always want to make games that provide a lot of fun to gamers, so if we have the chance, we'd certainly like to make another [Advance Wars] title.

The last entry in the Advance Wars series was the excellent Days of Ruin (retitled Advance Wars: Dark Conflict in Europe) from 2008.

Would you be keen to play another Advance Wars title on your 3DS? Post a comment to tell us.

[via fireemblem.nintendo.com, gonintendo.com]

Related Games

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

Yeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhh! Mobile tactic turn based strategy gaming done right. Fire Emblem and Advance Wars all the way! Yeeeeeaaah!

Big_Al1

Big_Al1 said:

I'd totally buy it, without thinking. But I think we need a futuristic tactical game too.

Sjoerd

Sjoerd said:

PLEASE!!! Finished Duals Strike for the third time now. Great news!!

onsokumaru

onsokumaru said:

I'm more fan of Advance Wars than of Fire Emblem. I wish they continue from what they did with Days of Ruin. Penny and Forsythe player here, never an expert but I had a great time.

Aidano123

Aidano123 said:

I actually prefer Advance wars to Fire Emblem it is one of my favourite game series right up there with metroid and timesplitters

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

The second they announce a new Advance Wars game, I'll finally get around to buying that 3DS I've been meaning to buy. The SECOND.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

Seeing videos of the first 2 games have got me interested in the series. If a new Advance Wars is annouced, I'd give it a chance for sure.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I would love a new Advance Wars, but I didn't like Dark Conflict despite Dual Strike being my favourite game on the system. I understand the message about war that they wanted to convey, but the visuals and the story was all a bit drab compared to what I associate with the series.

DePapier

DePapier said:

I hope they could make a new one in line with Days of Ruin. Not the same characters, not the same story, not the same context, but something that once again has nothing to do with Andy and his band, because they have already reached the moon with Dual Strike on this concept, they can hardly go higher.

I have the feeling they were trying to turn AW into a Fire Emblem with the serious appeal and storyline of Days of Ruin, just like it seems to me that they turned Awakening into an Advance Wars with team attacks, fun and manga roster... (The game isn't released in Europe yet, I can't judge.)

All in all, I want a new Advance Wars which mechanics allow for a great array of characters, with a serious storyline, and some serious war appeal. Something that can drastically contrast with Awakening to show that the studio can do anything. (Advance on Mars, maybe?) :p

Pixel-Perfect

Pixel-Perfect said:

I definitely prefer Fire Emblem and I didn't like the darker direction they went with for Days of Ruin. But yeah, I loved Dual Strike, so more Advance Wars can only be a good thing.

McHaggis

McHaggis said:

I always had a hard time getting into Advance Wars, even though I love Fire Emblem. I'd be happy to give it another chance though.

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

I've been surprised that Advance Wars wasn't an Ambassador game on the 3DS. It would have been a great opportunity to introduce that series to a bit of a wider audience.

sgotsch

sgotsch said:

I love the series and have played all of them! :D Sucks to hear they havent started to develope a new one yet.
Why are the blue army guys missing on the picture above? Where is the repair and the meele-tank guy? ^^

seronja

seronja said:

i want a new advance wars =) perhaps advance wars x fire emblem for 3DS? only time will tell =)

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

@Peach64 @Pixel-Perfect I'm with you on this one; Dark Conflict was too much of a departure from what I know and love in the Nintendo Wars series, so much so that I couldn't play past the second campaign mission. For me as well, Dual Strike is, at the moment, the pinnacle of Advance Wars gaming. If they make a new Advance Wars game for Nintendo 3DS, I really hope they make it less gritty and more like the fun, almost-lighthearted tone I experienced in the second and third games (I have yet to play the GBA original, I'm afraid). Not necessarily the same characters or nations, just a similar overall experience. Bring AW back to its roots, Intelligent Systems! :D

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@DePapier Yes please. I don't understand all the hate for Days of Ruin. It had by far the best and most series story. It had characters you wanted to hate for good reason and not some silly story. It's called Advance WARS people not cartoon hour. It still had the same great strategy with a much better story line!! Plus I really didn't care for Duel Strike. It was trying to do too much and the battles just ended up being longer then needed!!

I do hope the games sell better this time if done again. None in the post gba series did sell well at all even after getting good reviews. Now that the 3ds is on the map thanks to Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, and soon to be a ton more quality games hopefully this gets noticed!

Dyl_73

Dyl_73 said:

Advance Wars on 3ds? Hell yeah! I'd rather have Advance Wars than Fire Emblem.
Fingers crossed that it happens.

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

This is one of my top 3 game series'. Fire Emblem, FF Tactics Advance, and Advance wars in no particular order.

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

I clocked up over 1,000 hours playing Dual Strike and a few hundred with the last one. I just hope they are already developing another in the series (WiiU would be a great addition to a 3DS version too!)

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Ive never gotten into Advance Wars or Fire Emblem. Dont get me wrong, i like them, but somehow, they kick my ass on so many levels :P
While i can play games like FF Tactics, the older Vandal Hearts and whatnot almost blind, i never managed to grasp the right unit management in AW or kleeping my man alive in FE.

AbeVigoda

AbeVigoda said:

Am I the only one here who loved the Advance Wars games and beat them all, yet skipped all the story parts?? I just enjoy the gameplay, I don't care about the characters relationships or their motivations.

nilcam

nilcam said:

Seeing all of this Advance Wars love makes me teary eyed. AW was my introduction into the turn-based strategy genre and is one of my favorite games of all time. Here's hoping we get another installment soon!

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

Just remember guys, this series had huge problems for a while. Days of Ruin never even got released in Japan. :(

Hopefully the series will get a nice reboot for current systems though.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I can certainly hope for a new entry, at least. I loved every game in the series I've played so far.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Sweet, played Dual Strike and that has great gameplay I would definately consider returning to!
I did find it's upbeat tone and dialogue incredibly jarring at times.
The logic behind sendind masses of men to die in a battle simply to test the commanding prowess of your opponent was one of the stupidest ideas in a game I have played.
Haven't played days of ruin yet, maybe I would prefer it

nastobi123

nastobi123 said:

if Fire Emblem : Awakening
then Advace Wars : New Beggining for Wii U and 3DS, cross-play biotch ..

QuickSilver88

QuickSilver88 said:

I want an advanced wars-U......this series would be great on a console and getting cross play with a 3ds version would be awesome

shimage

shimage said:

I've always liked advance wars more than Fire Emblem, and Dual Strike was one of my favorite DS games, so yes, I would be all over a new one. I will say that I didn't care for the "gritty" theme in Days of Ruin, though.

Doma

Doma said:

Needs to happen soon. Advance 2 was such an awesome game, almost too perfect. I hoped for a long time that we'd get an entry comparable to that one, but with a new cast and storyline...

Dual Strike was good apart from the butchered balance and carbon-copy storyline. Dark Conflict wasn't much, the gameplay changes were rather poor and unnecessary imo. Also the huge cut back on non-campaign content annoyed me.

@AbeVigoda On your first playthrough? i've never done that, but do find the dialogue in all except the 2nd to be pretty dull though.

@QuickSilver88 No... keep it to portables only pls. It's more suited.

Emaan

Emaan said:

This new Advance Wars, like Fire Emblem: Awakening was, will be my very first in the series. If it's just as great as Fire Emblem, I'd love to play a 3DS entry in the series. Let's see it Intelligent Systems! :3

Deathgaze

Deathgaze said:

I've only got the 2 Advance Wars on the DS but I love them. I will happily buy one if it makes 3DS or Wii U.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

It's not that Advance Wars is bad, but, Starcraft 2. Advance Wars is portable I guess.

Mizore

Mizore said:

I wonder which "universe" they'll stick with for their next game. As in, will it be Dual Strike's or Days of Ruin's world. :p
(and they can merge the two in multiplayer mode, lol...since I like characters from both. xD)

Mizore

Mizore said:

Yeah, though story mode-wise it wouldn't make much sense, but for multiplayer it would be nice. Would also like to see features and mechanics merged, like dual strikes, and the Carrier makeover from DoR. :p

mikeyman64

mikeyman64 said:

Good. One of my favorites from the GBA/DS library. Can't wait to see what comes next! Especially after seeing how fantastic FE Awakening was.

WesCash

WesCash said:

I still play Days of Ruin to this day. Advance Wars is brilliant and needs to make a comeback. I've always preferred it over Fire Emblem too.

Idolo

Idolo said:

I'd pre-order a copy now if I could. Advance Wars was the first Tactics style game I ever played! Since then I've gone on to FF:Tactics, Tactics Ogre the recently released Devil Summoner and now I'm looking forward to my first foray into Fire Emblem at the end of April :D Like many of the other comments here I didn't enjoy Dark Conflict as much as the first 3 because of the tone.

Tony_342

Tony_342 said:

I vastly prefer Advance Wars over Fire Emblem. Fire Emblem just doesn't do anything for me, unfortunately. Days of Ruin was fantastic. It was exactly what the series needed at that time, as it was starting to grow stale with Dual Strike. There's only so much cutesy "Yay, war is fun!" mentality that you can take before you start to think, "This series needs a new direction." Days of Ruin was exactly that. I'm not interested in Fire Emblem: Awakening, but I would buy a new Advance Wars the very second it came out.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

Advance Wars is one of my favorite franchises, so yeah, I'd love another entry on the 3DS, or even the Wii U for that matter.

TheKingOfTown

TheKingOfTown said:

I might actually, dare I say it, enjoy Advance Wars more than Fire Emblem. If they make a game that is just as good as Fire Emblem Awakening, then none of you will see me for a few days. :P

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

Well, considering Dual Strike was THE SOLE REASON why I upgraded from GBA to a DS in the first place, I would snap up another Advance Wars in a heartbeat. I don't really care which story they choose to continue (light-hearted Andy campaign or more serious Wil campaign), as I enjoyed both very much and are among my favorite games on the DS. I kinda doubt they can top the quality and detail of Fire Emblem Awakening, though as that game has nearly blown my mind to the point of obsession. :O

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@Tech101: I agree with you. I never liked the cutesy "war is a joke" them the first 3 advance wars games brought to the table. Now Days of Ruin is where they got it right, spot on!:) The best story by far, with amazing twists. I really connected with all the characters as I made my way through the increasingly difficult campaign. Tabitha is by far my favorite CO(can't count Caulder, b/c using him is flat out cheating). I love her +5 attack and +5 defense combo. Sure it takes a while to build up her CO meter, but when you do; it's all over... I think they should continue the story where it left off. Bring back the remaining CO's who weren't killed, and give us some new ones. I really wish they would have made "The Beast" a playable CO. I loved his theme song.

Henmii

Henmii said:

I really want to give Advance wars a try someday, but they should go back to the light-hearted style! Since the last one was very serious!

Noboty

Noboty said:

What's the hold up? If they can make new FE game, they should be able to make a new AW game. I've been waiting for several years now. Hopefully, they'll retain the gameplay aspects of the Days of Ruin instead of the unbalanced ones of yore.