Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D Has Local Co-op Play And An Easy Mode

Posted by Andy Green

There's also a "brand new surprise" in store

Back in February, Nintendo announced the popular Wii game Donkey Kong Country Returns is being remade for the 3DS. The upcoming title - appropriately named Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D - is being developed by Monster Games and will largely be the same game but with the inclusion of 3D visuals.

However, according to the product listing on the Nintendo UK website, there will be some changes. The biggest of which is an easier difficulty mode, which will allow both Donkey and Diddy to have three hearts instead of two - an effective 50 percent health boost. Of course you don't have to play in easy mode, but it'll be there to fall back on should you get frustrated with those punishing later levels.

There will also be new items made available that will enable players to save themselves from pitfalls, and allow the mine cart and rocket barrel to take a second hit. Trophy levels can be unlocked and beating all of them will lead to "a brand new surprise", which is certainly intriguing.

As expected the game features local wireless multiplayer so you can team up with a friend and take on those evil Tikis.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D will be available on 24th May in North America and Europe.

Do you think these new features are a good thing? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via nintendo.co.uk, nintendoinvader.com]

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

Local co-op play is a pretty good bonus. I still probably won't be buying it since I have the original though. I can't imagine a better way to enjoy this game if you haven't already purchased it on Wii yet.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

No online CoOp? :/

I wonder why no platforming titles from Nintendo has online multiplayer.. Still buying this though, absolutely love the Wii version. I hope they add more stuff.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

Dang it, this game looks so good...

Dude. Nintendo. I've already got to buy Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, and Pikmin 3 in the next few months. Stahhhp.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Not enough to make me spend more than eShop price for it. Wii game's better for multiplayer anyway.

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

I have the Wii game but still haven't played it, so I think I'll just play that. In the trailer for this game, DK looks tiny. Same as with the 3DS version of Rayman.

Mr-DNA

Mr-DNA said:

I'd love if they added more secret worlds based on Retro's concept art. I really want to play that Virtual Boy mine cart level.

Bucho

Bucho said:

i will buy it on launch day since i never bought the wii version.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

Well, I'm definitely looking forward to this game now. I already have the Wii version but come on now; one of the best Wii games on the go, with extras? Sign me up!

And I agree with @Mr-DNA. Bring that concept art to life.

hamsterfactor

hamsterfactor said:

Haven't played Donkey Kong Country since I got the first one for the Super Nintendo when it came out, so I'm quite excited about buying this one.

CmmanderVide0

CmmanderVide0 said:

I'd only suffer through the difficulty a second time if they added the DKC trilogy as unlockables, if not, then I'll just stick with the Wii version.

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

I'm so on the fence with this game my krotch (spelled with a "K" just for the Kongs :D) is starting to hurt. I love the original Wii version and I like to support Nintendo, but is it worth another purchase? Especially when this year is just stacked with greatness in video games, many of which are on the 3DS. I'll have to see how my budget is in late May...

Raiko

Raiko said:

@Nintenzo Given how big the game is, it'll unlikely be download play. You'd need a lot of free space to store the game. Download play really only happens when you're playing something shorter or smaller, like Street Fighter 4 or Mario Kart DS.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

So again a game gets stuff to make it easier, as opposed to stuff to make it harder. sigh

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Too many other high quality releases for me to get this when it's released. :(

Definitely picking this up at some point this year, however.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

Still nothing that will makes me double dipp. Unless reviews really surprise me, I will keep it by the Wii version.

Haywired

Haywired said:

It's nice to see this game potentially reach a greater audience (and without that damn "waggle to roll" as well!) While I wouldn't normally complain about such things (as I think all games should be as accessible to everyone as possible) it seems a bit odd to add an easy mode. I mean the game was quite tricky/frustrating in parts, but the thing is, there are so many extra heart/extra life/invincibility type items available from Cranky Kong if you need them (as well as the Super Guide) that it sort of gives you an easy mode already.

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

Absolutely loved the Wii version and is no doubt one of my favorite games ever. I'm might pick this up. I wonder what that special surprise is?

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

I was really hoping this would come to the Wii U eShop along with super mario galaxy 1 & 2, zelda twilight princess and skyward sword :-(

astros75

astros75 said:

Sold! With this game and Animal Crossing, my summer is looking good. Nintendo 3ds is on a roll :-)

SMW

SMW said:

I must find out what the surprise is. K. Rool would turn this into a must-buy for me.

rodaco

rodaco said:

I'm definitely getting this. I'd like to see more fair prices in the European eshop though. Also sad for no online multiplayer.

I-U

I-U said:

I'm definitely getting this next month as I've been convinced that this will be superior to the Wii version of the game thanks to the absence of the shake controls. An easy mode makes the deal even sweeter, though I didn't really have much of a problem with the original difficulty that wasn't a result of control frustration.

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

Didn't get the Wii version because of the difficulty, but an easy mode may tempt me.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Good, so this won't be a straight port after all. The original game had Mirror Mode once you beat the full game; now I wonder what they're going to do this time?

Windy

Windy said:

since they are porting games from N64 and Wii how about a port of Xenoblade now that would be something

RR529

RR529 said:

I was highly enjoying my Wii version, before my Wii stopped reading dual layer discs...

Hopefully I'll be able to grab this, so I can finally complete the game, lol.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I WILL PLAY THE HARD MODE EASY IS FOR BABIES MWAHAHAHAHAHA! Anyway, looking forward to it! I wish it would have online multi-player though.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

I already have this game for my wii. Unless there are new level's added with some DLC it's temporiarly a pass until I see some stuff in the e-shop like info & what other stuff it can support like spotpass, streetpass etc. Other wise it'll probably more likely be a pass from me. Just can't see buying something I already have unless there's added content like level's etc.

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Doma

Doma said:

@Geonjaha This happens to every game they decide to remake now, in lieu of any real new content.

Oh well, i'll always own the superior Wii version. The controls didn't exactly ruin the game, so there's no reason for me to buy this.

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

I can't wait to see the new content. Perhaps that "surprise" will be shown at the upcoming 3DS event? It would be cool if that surprise was "Banana Rush". :D (Similar to NSMB2's Coin Rush, except with random DKCR stages, downloadable level packs, and of course, bananas.) I would also like it if you had the option to make Diddy Kong lead, and new levels in World 9.

pikku

pikku said:

I have the Wii version and will still be picking this up. Can't wait to play it again :D

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

I found the game to be too easy, even after I beat it with 200%
I was hoping for extar levels, and extra playble Kongs.
I won't mind, to play as FunkyKong, and DixieKong.

A "Stage Builder" opiton would be awesome, but not likely to happen.

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

Luigi's Mansion, Donkey Kong County Returns, and Animal Crossing!! We are living the dream right now fellow Nintendo gamers :D

Pachterkid

Pachterkid said:

I like the inclusion of an easy mode, however, I think the game will be easier simply due to the fact that this version will not have motion control like the original release. Please just make the thing control like the SNES games.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

I haven't yet played the original, so this remake will likely be my first foray into the fourth (fifth?) DKC game. But why are there so many fantastic new games coming out this year?! Seriously, I'm going to have to buy at least one new game each fortnight just to catch up slightly! FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, NINTENDO! JUST [meme removed]!

BigDaddysPizza

BigDaddysPizza said:

I recommend this game to everyone. It is the best Donkey Kong game EVER.
I've played 'em all. I would know.
Easy mode is nice, because the game is FREAKIN' hard.
I really want to know what the surprise is, but I only have the Wii version.
I'm not playing $40 to play the same game twice.

gundam00

gundam00 said:

I highly doubt the "brand new surprise" will be a game giveaway that Nintendo can stand to profit from by selling in the eShop. I think the "brand new surprise" will be a new ending that will have us screaming "Sequel".

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

"Easy mode??" "new items made available that will enable players to save themselves from pitfalls, and allow the mine cart and rocket barrel to take a second hit???" "What the f.....????" Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! "WHAT!???" What kind of "watered-down" game this will be?? I mean I know this is for the "Casual gamer" jazz, but COME ON MAN! Really?? "Where was my 'EASY MODE' when I played Donkey Kong Country 1, 3 & ESPECIALLY part 2 on the SNES days of 1995 & 1996? Oh wait! THERE WASN'T ONE!!!! Oh gosh....(face palm) What's happening guys?" [I'm not mad...but just venting a little bit about how dare they try to water-down this REALLY AWESOME GAME!!!] As of right now, I have NO incentive of getting this game for the 3ds when I already have it for the Wii. This "special surprise" thing.... "I'll wait till someone plays it, unlock it and post what it is and then maybe I might get it..." Maybe it's Dixie Kong as a playable character...or something like that. If that's the case, "Sign me up!" Haha!

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

i will be getting this eventually, but i need to buy 2 copies of Animal Crossing: NL, so DK is gonna have to wait.

skjia

skjia said:

@WindWakerLink
I don't really think it's watering it down since it seems to be a separate mode. They're not forcing you to play an easier version, just making an easier version available for people who don't have patience for difficult games. I think this will be happening a lot more after the success of Fire Emblem.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I don't want them to make games with easy and normal difficulties. I want them to make games with hard, insane, and nightmare difficulties. No easy and normal.

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

@skjia "Yea, it seems like it's a separate thing. I have no problem with the idea. It's just... 'a little disheartening' that it's being implemented is all. It didn't bother me for the Mario games like 3D Land because those were whatever. But DK....it's in a special class on its own, you know? It has its own strong and hard identity that made you get mad when you keep dying hard levels and getting game over meant something. (Chuckles)

neumaus

neumaus said:

@Five-seveN Then Ys sounds perfect for you! I recommend Ys The Oath in Felghana, which has the following difficulty levels: Very Easy, Easy, Normal, Hard, Nightmare, and Inferno which you have to unlock.

TimoteiWest

TimoteiWest said:

I don't really think of adding an easy as "watering down" really, it's worth bearing in mind that this was a pretty tricky game anyway. Throw in a smaller screen, shorter (typically) play sessions on a handheld and a slightly trickier control pad (sorry 3DS!) and you've got good reasons for making an easier difficulty an option.

I did love this game but I don't think it'll be getting a second purchase from me. It was genuinely brilliant but I do sort of pine for a 'true' Donkey Kong Country 4 with K.Rool as the enemy, Kremlings, etc.

I miss Rare. :(

cbkummer

cbkummer said:

@Astro Holy crap, that would be the best thing ever! I'll buy it anyway, but even if they only add the first DKC as an unlockable I'll be thrilled.

Skeet102

Skeet102 said:

I'm debating on getting this game. It's between DKCR 3D and LoZ Ocarina of Time 3D. What should I do?

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

They should add some swimming levels, they were great in the original DKC trilogy. Its a shame they didnt include any in Returns, because it apparently would ruin the flow of the game or some nonsense...

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Thing is, DKC is a series that in my opinion is meant to be unmercifully hard. People that don't have patience for hard games could play something else that's easier. Man, I love the brutality of the DKC series. I know of some levels in DKCR that are ridiculously hard, but I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't played the game yet. I plan on asking for this, LCU, and LCU TCB for my birthday.

@MeowGravy I know! I really missed the calm appearance combined with the music of the swimming levels (though at least the music returned in DKCR). However, the calm look of those swimming levels could be quit deceiving!

@skeeter99999 Probably LoZ OoT 3D. Absolutely fantastic game, but this one is great too. I do think LoZ is better if you can't get both games.

@neumaus Sounds interesting, but I don't have a PSP. I'm not a PC gamer either.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

The mine cart levels SHOULD have had a second hit. It was a pointless subtraction from the original series to make it artificially harder. Just like losing Diddy in pitfalls and not having DK barrels at every checkpoint.

It doesn't make the game easier, it makes it more balanced.

It's also an optional mode. You don't have to use it. How an option makes it an inferior version is beyond me.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

If you don't like Easy mode, then don't play it...just play Mirror Mode, sheesh. Anyways I probably won't get this, the special surprise may end up being something stupid, I dunno.
Would be nice if they completely remade DKC with Returns engine, that'd be awesome.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

DKCR without the yucky motion controls!? Best thing ever, even if it were the exact same game with no 3D nor multiplayer, or all those silly extras to make it easy I won't use anyway.

DIALGA63

DIALGA63 said:

I wonder if the 3DS version is anything like the Wii version. If it is the same, I probably won't buy it.