A Mario Party is Getting Started on 3DS This Winter

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Roll the dice

As today's Nintendo Direct was mostly about the 3DS, Satoru Iwata announced a new title for the handheld that'll aim to get groups playing together. It was confirmed that a new Mario Party game is coming to the 3DS this Winter; with this being the Year of Luigi, we were also assured that Luigi would play an important role.

The footage shown looked like a continuation of the classic formula that the popular series has followed for a good amount of time. You roll the dice, advance along the board and trigger a wide range of fun and wacky mini-games that rely on skill, chance, timing and various other party skills. The official spiel is that there will be seven boards, 81 new minigames to try, the option to play these games at any time and implementation of AR (augmented reality) and StreetPass.

With an arrival at the end of the year we expect this to be a major part of the 3DS Holiday push. Are you looking forward to a Mario Party with fellow 3DS owners, or would you rather this was coming to Wii U?

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Don't think I'm all that interested in this one. I lost interest after 8. Didn't think it was very good.

Squid

Squid said:

So long as they don't bring back that car from 9, I'll give it a shot. Hopefully they send out a demo, though.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

I would've loved to see Mario Party 10 as a deluxe version containing multiple boards and loads of minigames from each entry in the series with every character playable. Plus new boards and all that and some sort of online mode. Would've also been a great time to end the series on a high note. As it is, this one looks too similar to Mario Party 9 which lacked the feel of a Mario Party game, so it will likely disappoint me (but I will still collect it!) They've never been able to match the classic fun of the N64 titles, long live Mario Party 3! ;) (maybe they can finally release it on Wii U VC?)

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Cool; it'll probably be on my Christmas list then. Every board is supposed to have different rules, and the minigames themselves seem interesting.

gefflt

gefflt said:

Mario Party games are, in my experience, more fun on home console since you tend to play more often with friends, including casual gamers.

That being said, I am still looking very much forward to this one. The new board elements seem to be a cool, slightly different approach to the tried and true formula.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

This one looks pretty good, probably the best looking one since Mario Party 5. Mario Party 8 had some good boards but cheap minigames, while 9 was the contrary. This one looks to have both, at least from the assortment of minigames they showed.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

Let's not complain about how 'different' this one is this time, please? Can't wait to Party when it's released!

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

Tempted to give Mario Party another go.....I think the last one I played was either number 5 or 6 (it was on the gamecube anyway)

I would love if this game had online play. (also it should have the communities functionality like in Mario kart 7)

Also the mini games in this one look fun, the one where they're running on balls reminds me of Mario Party 2. I hope one of the seven boards has a classic play style. (get the most stars)

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

MP 5 is the best one in my opinion. It had the best games, best boards, best modes...and it was the one I played with my brother and two sisters the most. Especially on our Christmas party the night before Christmas every year. Fun times...but my sisters don't care to play video games anymore. :(

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

i am excited for this as I tend to play my handheld more than my console. Can`t wait to party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

Huge chunk of my childhood...oh the joy!

But this would've been a MUCH better fit for the Wii U, but still thank you Nintendo!

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

This looks cool, but I have absolutely no idea why they would put a Mario Party on a handheld. Party games are played with controllers in front of a TV. That's just how they work.

TheXboxHero

TheXboxHero said:

Cool. I kinda expected it to come to the Wii U, but with Game & Wario, and Wii U Party coming along, I can see why this would be a 3DS installment.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I love Mario Party so much. This was one of my favorite announcements today~

Chriiis

Chriiis said:

While my family is mostly non-gamers, a lot of them got addicted as hell to Mario Party DS when I showed it off to them, some of them even went on the lookout for cheap DS's just so we all could enjoy it. That said, I've been waiting to hear about a 3DS version!

Hoping it has online play as well, that should make it mad fun, especially for those who really have nobody to play with(Mario Party games should always be played with others!).

Infiltrator87Q

Infiltrator87Q said:

I been waiting for nintendo to release the first mario party on the virtual console but this looks really good.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Streetpass...I never can even use that feature...come on, Nintendo focus on online multi-player. This game would be great with online party boards and mini-games!

Chriiis

Chriiis said:

@EaZy_T Considering Mario Party DS supported it, I think there's a good shot at download play. I just hope they don't make that as an excuse for it having no online..

GuSilverFlame

GuSilverFlame said:

I really hope this one gets more than 5 over repetitive boards like the latest mario party games did. and gives more focus to the minigames!

astros75

astros75 said:

Mario Party seems like a great candidate for DLC. I'd love to see a Zelda or Pikmin board... and some cool streetpass functions.

Meteora

Meteora said:

@DerpSandwich While I agree that party games are best played on one screen, handheld party games can be just as fun if they support single-card download play.
Mario Party DS had fantastic multiplayer and lasted a long time for me and my friends all because of the fact that we only needed one copy of the game to fully enjoy it.

If Mario Party 3DS has download play, then I'll be excited. And when I say "if," I mean: "There's no reason that it shouldn't and I'll be upset/probably won't get it if it doesn't."

And when I say that, I mean: "It had better and it better be fully-featured like Mario Party DS's multiplayer or I'm not buying it."

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

I REALLY hope this has online multi-player. I love Mario Party, but my friends absolutely detest it.

JMDS

JMDS said:

@Doma How?

Anyways, online or not, I'm adding this to my list of 2013 3DS purchases left, which so far is just DKC, Pokemon, and now this.

MeWario

MeWario said:

I'll wait and see on this one. I just don't think the series lends itself to portable gaming as well as console gaming is all.

TotalHenshin

TotalHenshin said:

It looks like one of the more interesting installments, but this needs to be online. Alright, it doesn't NEED to be, but not every one has 3DS owners around them to do single-cart and multi-cart play. I agree it's more fun to play with people around you, but multi-player centric games in this day and age essentially need to have an online function at this point. I know a lot of people are going to disagree, but I think it's worth allocating the resources for.

GoombaJMR

GoombaJMR said:

@TotalHenshin Just imagine having a 4 player online game though...It is a wonderful idea, but having a 10 turn game will at least be 30 minutes of non stop play, which may not be convenient for some players, and they just shut down whenever they want.
Online might work for free minigame play though, as people wait in a lobby and vote for a game to play, that would be a good idea

I also hope that they include lots of extras in the game, cause thats what led me to over 75 hours of MPDS gameplay! :D

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

I love the Mario Party games but there's very few people who enjoy playing it with me (mostly because I win all the time) so I dunno if I'll get this or not. It's a huge shame because, like I said, I love these party games.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

@Meteora I understand how it CAN work, and I'm sure it can still be fun, but I just don't see why they would prefer to do it that way. I mean, the Wii U is ripe for it with the Gamepad, and it needs the games more badly at the moment! But I guess the Wii U will probably get one eventually anyway.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

hopefully they clean up that god awful mess they caused in 9. if they bring back that car... I don't even know. I want to explore the board map seperately from others players, like, I don't know, EVERY OTHER BOARD GAME

Rosalina

Rosalina said:

For people wondering if Rosalina is playable, she isn't.
You can see her at 0:59 in the video here--

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

The family and I loved Mario Party DS. In fact, its my favourite Mario Party out of the 5 I've played. Insta-buy all the way

Yellowtails

Yellowtails said:

I loved Mario Party DS. I'm sure this game will turn out great. I think Mario Party 10 for Wii U will be announced/released in 2014.

orko

orko said:

i love mario party and thise game will be allsome i like marios rainbow castil and i wued love to see it agine in thise new game. they put old tracks in mario kart games why not mario party.

Sylvester

Sylvester said:

I liked the Mario Party game on the wii and the 3ds console, so I am excited about this one too! :D