RPG Mashup to Combine Fire Emblem and Shin-Megami Tensei

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Atlus goes big time with Nintendo

Perhaps the least expected reveal during today's Wii U Direct was confirmation that Nintendo is currently developing an RPG in collaboration with Atlus. Although no title was given it'll combine the franchises of Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem, and as this was part of a global broadcast we can also be sure that this won't be one of those "I wish it was released outside of Japan" games.

The teaser trailer, which you can see below, revealed little apart from the franchises involved and a brief glimpse at an attractive, yet ominous, background. After this footage Satoru Iwata explained that we can expect to see more collaborations like this in future, as Nintendo adjusts to the challenges of development on Wii U. It could help to bring a fresh perspective and evolution to Nintendo franchises, however, if they're worked on in conjunction with other established developers.

This will undoubtedly boost the profile of Atlus and the Shin Megami Tensei franchise. Are you excited about this, and what other cross-overs would you like to see in the future? Let us know in the comments below.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Strangest announcement of the day (I don't really even know Shin-Megami Tensei), but anything Fire Emblem is great news.

Gamesake

Gamesake said:

These crossover games need to stop. For real. But I'm glad Nintendo is collaborating with other companies.

Xilef

Xilef said:

First Pokemon x Nobunaga's Ambition and now this. Pretty cool. Looking forwars to more info on this.

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

@Gamesake What does it matter as long as it's a good game? I'll answer for you: It doesn't. If they are crap though, yeah, they can and should stop. There are a lot of non crossover games that need to stop as well. Looking at you CoD :P

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

I don't like crossovers.

I would have preferred a new FE game from Nintendo and a new SMT game from Atlus, with Nintendo producing it like Bayonetta 2 to keep it as a Wii U exclusive.

Or something like Resident Evil 2 Rebirth with Capcom... ok ok

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

This is awesome, I love both series since the Super NES. For those who don't know the Shin Megami Tensei series are these:

Shin Megami Tensei I, II, III, IV, Persona 1-5, Devil Survivor 1, 2, Overclock, Devil Summoners, Soul Hackers, Strange Journey, Demi Kids Light and Dark, Revelation: The Demon Slayer (Last Bible series), and Digital Devil Saga,

Hokori

Hokori said:

CoD cross Monster Hunter :p
A very western game crossed with a very Japanese game

Emaan

Emaan said:

I know quite a few NLifers who are really into Shin-Megami Tensei, so that's good news! This is really interesting. Nintendo should team up with even more developers! It's exciting to even think of the possibilities. :O

Jukilum

Jukilum said:

I like Fire Emblem, but I've never really had a great desire to play a Shin Megami Tensei game.

Knux

Knux said:

This is really beyond awesome. Atlus and Nintendo working together is like a dream...that just became reality. :O

mattatron

mattatron said:

Two of the hardest and greatest RPGs mashed up, I am excited. This has been a great day for Nintendo fans

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

Fire Emblem on it's own would have been my first choice, but any fire emblem is better than none at all! Am I hoping for too much when I ask for an xmas release this year?? Probably. :(

Bacon_Gal_Blaze

Bacon_Gal_Blaze said:

Hmmmm, the end of the trailer looks like a TV blinking out, Persona 4 style, and the huge ominous moon seems like a reference to Persona 3. I can't wait to get this, but hopefully this also means maybe P5 is coming to the Wii U. :o

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

I've only played Shadow Dragon so far but will probably get awakening but its cool that all the recognisable FE characters are in the same place for once!

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

Disappointed that there appears to be a lack of any character from Gaiden or the Jugdral games. Other than that, this looks pretty cool.

AceSpadeS

AceSpadeS said:

This is one of the coolest ideas I've seen in a long time. Both series are amazing RPGs, and I can definitely see a crossover working well between the two. I wonder if any of the SMT spinoffs, like Persona or Devil Survivor, will get a nod in here.

AceSpadeS

AceSpadeS said:

@Blaze

Personally I'd be happy just seeing a Persona, any Persona, make it to a Nintendo platform. People without Sony systems need a chance to experience how amazing these games are. (It seems unlikely right now, given all the Personas have now been remade for PSP/Vita though)

JeanLuc_Vaycard

JeanLuc_Vaycard said:

Omg this is like a dream come true for me. I can't believe all the good news lately. Not sure when im going to be able to afford all this but demn!

Expa0

Expa0 said:

This is one crossover I never expected to see, two of the best RPG series (nowadays anyway) combine. Hopefully this'll come to pal regions as well, I'm kind of expecting it to since Nintendo is working with this as well.

I wonder if we get to see Marth take on giant ****s on chariots.

IAmNotWill

IAmNotWill said:

I never really care for SMT, but anything Fire Emblem related is great news to me. Can't wait to see more.

manic221

manic221 said:

The one crossover to rule them all! Excited for it!

What was that strange trailer at the end of ND? I'm thinking it some crossover with Monster Hunter...

AVahne

AVahne said:

Nothing has been shown yet but I'm still being killed by awesomeness here.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

So I take it this is one SMT game we can be sure Europe will get. Then again the last FE game not to come out in Europe is fairly recent...

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

Next Nintendo direct will reveal a collaboration between Bayonetta and Kirby.

Seriously though this is very interesting to see, definitely came out of nowhere. It makes me excited to think what else they might have up their sleeves.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@Gamesake: Ummm no. These crossover games need to continue! They breathe new life into old franchises, and make for amazing games. Use your imagination, the possibilities are truly endless! Pokemon Conquest, awesome. I rest my case.

ueI

ueI said:

April Fools!
The REAL question is what genre the game will be.

1080ike

1080ike said:

You people do realize that combining two of the hardest RPG series out there into one game will mean that it'll be damn near impossible to complete?
My body is ready.

Squid

Squid said:

I'm only familiar with certain Shin Megami Tensei games, but I like crossover games, so I think this could be very interesting.

Icefreak45

Icefreak45 said:

SMT and FE TOGETHER?! I never even thought about the possibility before but now that its' here it looks amazing @_@. If this thing comes out good, I'll have no choice but to buy a Wii U (If I havent by that time already, which i probably will :P).

HappyDingo

HappyDingo said:

Well, this is really an unexpected crossover. SMT and Fire Emblem are quite separated in their themes. Whereas Fire Emblem tends to be quite tame for the most part (at least the American versions of the 4 games I've played are), Shin Megami Tensei deals with very mature and controversial material, mainly related to religion. In some of their games the player can go so far as to choose to fight against God (yes, the one from Christianity) himself. Perhaps they'll go with something more tepid like they did with the plots of Persona 3 and 4. Who can tell? I'm leaning towards skepticism in regards to it's localization, but I really do hope that it comes to English speaking countries (namely America...plz....).

pariah164

pariah164 said:

My initial reaction: "OH MY GOOOOOOOD!"

My secondary reaction: "TAKE MY GODDAMN MONEY! (tosses bills at screen)"

My third reaction: "... Oh hell. I need to buy a Wii U."

Seriously, was not expecting this when I got on the net this morning. SO AMAZING. Thank you, Atlus. Thank you, Nintendo.

HappyDingo

HappyDingo said:

Also, I just realized that the main protagonist from SMT Nocturne was in the vid, which makes me all the more curious about this game. Nocturne is one of the most disturbing games I've played. The imagery is very... vivid at times. I'm definitely gonna be keeping my eye on this.

9-Volt

9-Volt said:

Better see Ike, Roy, and Marth or will throw everything in room like a wild ape. :[ Fire Emblem newbie want big characters.

DashDG

DashDG said:

Really great news!!! Two awsome series for hardcore players come together!!!!

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

I have a sneaking suspicion gameplay-wise it'll play like Devil Survivor. It seems like that would match up well with both the turn-based strategy of Fire Emblem and the battle system of the traditional SMT games.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

Atlus + Nintendo = 2 of the things in gaming I love most. I am a huge collector/player of Atlus strategy/rpg's and Nintendo is my favorite company. This has me suprisingly very excited for a new release. Something that seems rare these. IMO I only own PS consoles to get RPG's made by Atlus that are PS exclusive.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Haven't played SMT, but love FE. But I'm confused... is this literally a cross of two games or will an original franchise be born from Atlus and Nintendo?

Dunkey

Dunkey said:

Well, there goes another weekend. sigh But, that's sort of a good thing. And this is the first cross-over that looks remotely fun to me. Not to mention it's Atlus, so we can expect high quality. Yay!