Nintendo Download: 27th September 2012 (North America)

Posted by Damien McFerran

Denpa men, a Game Boy classic and some Real Bout Newcomers

After the confirmation of Europe's somewhat disappointing selection of Nintendo Download titles, you might be forgiven for expecting the North American update to be similarly lackluster. However, Nintendo has pulled out all the stops to deliver a varied selection of titles - the details of which can be found below.

3DS eShop

The Denpa Men: They Came By Wave (Genius Sonority Inc, $9.99) — This weird and wonderful RPG has intrigued us ever since we laid eyes on the Japanese version, known as Denpa Ningen no RPG. It uses your 3DS system's AR capabilities to create a unique experience, and offers a series of dungeons to battle through with your cute Denpa Men. Here's our Denpa Men: They Came By Wave review.

Quarth (Konami, $2.99) — Based on an arcade game from the late '80s, Quarth for the Game Boy is a unique blend of puzzle and shooting action. Like a cross between Tetris and Space Invaders, it's certainly an unusual proposition, but is it worth your cash? You'll have to wait for our review to find out for sure.

Hitori by Nikoli (Hamster, $4.99) — This is basically Sudoku with numbers, and follows on from Nikoli's previous eShop title, Kakuro by Nikoli. If you're a fan of Suduko then chances are this variation on the theme will be right up your street, but you may wish to wait until we give it the critical once-over before parting with your cash.

DSiWare

Kart Krashers (Big John Games, $4.99/500 DSi points) — This fun-looking DSiWare racer has been on our radar for quite some time now, and combines 3D visuals with a striking sense of speed. We'll be reviewing it as soon as possible.

Wii Virtual Console

Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers (D4 Enterprise, 900 points) — The seventh Fatal Fury title and the third in the Real Bout sub-series, this one-on-one brawler is more of a revision over the previous game than an entirely new experience. New characters appear, offering different fighting techniques to master. Expect a review shortly.

What takes your fancy out of that little lot? Will you succumb to the charms of the Denpa Men, or do you fancy a spot of SNK-flavoured fighting action? Place your vote in the poll to let us - and the entire world - know.

What will you be downloading first this week? (242 votes)

The Denpa Men: They Came By Wave (eShop)

50%

Quarth (eShop)

Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers (Wii Virtual Console)

Hitori by Nikoli (eShop)

Kart Krashers (eShop / DSiWare)

Nothing for me this week

38%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Merging 3DSWare and 3DS VC...I suppose it reduces anger at how little the VC is growing.. :/

iroxursox

iroxursox said:

man den-pa man is pricey gonna wait for a review before i buy greet week over all though

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

oh wow, we all thought that quarth was coming out in a few weeks, but it came today.Not sure if I will get anything this week.

fredtoy

fredtoy said:

This week I'll pass. I have yet to play La-Mulana from last week. But Denpa Men is in my wishlist.

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

Nothing spotted for me this week. Still holding out for the New Super Mario Bros 2 Coin Rush packs, Nintendo.

MrWezzle

MrWezzle said:

Still on the fence about Denpa Men. Demo was fun, but I don't know if it'd make for a worthwhile $10. Quarth is still up in the air as well. Obscure of a VC release as it might be, it's certainly better than nothing. Pretty good week for the 'shop.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Would have downloaded Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 this week had I been living in America. Instead, I'll have to wait until its released in Europe next week.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

What is going on here? You have Denpa Man, Quarth (3DSVC), Fatal Fury (WiiVC), and Kart Krashers has already been given an 8.5 by NintendoWorldReport and yet still 48% say "nothing for me this week"!

If I could pick two things I would, Denpa and Quarth for sure.

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

I was very impressed with the Denpa Men, although I'd like to pay a few bucks less. Oh well, I'm glad they brought the game to NA in the first place. Beggars can't be choosers I suppose, right?

ejamer

ejamer said:

@WiisWorld
Yeah, I didn't get that one either. Sudoku already uses numbers, so..?

Pretty good week (again!) though. Not sure there is anything I'm buying right away, but a couple games that I might buy eventually.

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

RB2!

I've heard some... arguing over whether RBS aor RB2 is the better game. I guess I can find out for myself now.

pariah164

pariah164 said:

It's a sign of the times we live in that $10 is expensive... Either way, DenpaMen for me!

rjejr

rjejr said:

@pariah164 Buy any milk or gasoline lately? When they hit $10, yes it will be too expensive. $10 is expensive when most DL games cost less.

It just occurred to me that there was a demo last week for a game that came out this week. Nintendo finally seems to be getting a handle on the online stuff, good for them.

My 7 year old loved Denpa Men but he is saving his $10 for Pokemon Radar which I think comes out in about 10 days. Though now I'm wondering how that works as the game comes out on a Sunday but online updates on Thursday. Oh, and he traded in Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart DS to buy Pokemon Black 2, so you know he's committed to the cause.

Cipher

Cipher said:

See, now this is a good week. The "Denpa" Men looks great, two good Virtual Console titles, and there's also a Kid Icarus montage video that isn't listed above. Definitely one of the better weeks.

@rjejr Pokémon Dream Radar launches the same day as Black 2 and White 2 - October 7 in the States, I think - and if the Japanese price is anything to go by it's probably only going to cost $3.

rjejr

rjejr said:

$3 for Dream Radar? That would make for 1 happy 7 year old, thanks Cypher.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Will be to busy with World of Warcraft's new expansion to even think about other games for awhile.

Bazly

Bazly said:

I think the assertion that Quarth is like a cross between Tetris and Space Invaders is a bit off. Space Invaders yes, but Tetris no. Looks more like a cross between Pictobits and Spave Invaders. Looks fun though, might pick it up, but I'mma wait for a review. DENPA MEN HERE I COME!

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

I'm seriously considering Denpa men and after watching the video of Quarth I kinda want it... but I voted 'nothing for me' because I've been spending too much on video games lately and am trying not to spend anymore (until pokémon white 2, anyway).

RR529

RR529 said:

Denpa Men for me. No, $10 dollars isn't too much for a download. There have been $10+ DLs for Wii, DSi, Xbox 360, and PS3 for a long time now, yet suddenly it's an issue for 3DS? Most games in that price range are very high quality, and Denpa Men is no exception to the rule.

Hokori

Hokori said:

^exactly, heck people complain about free stuff $10 for a solid RPG on a system that apparently lacks in RPGs is quite good, I won't get it until later next month since I'm low on eShop money, but it's still good, I'd complain more about Dillion's rolling western then Denpa men and dillons rolling western is still ok for $10, it's just my least favorite 3DSWare game

Big_Al1

Big_Al1 said:

Denpamen for me! I've been deprived of RPGS on the 3DS and I found it to be real fun.

My daughter loves it as well, so if sje plays the demo enough, I may consider gettig it for her. Beig able to import your save was a genius move.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

stop saying all nikoli puzzles are like sudoku. I know EVERYONE says that, but they're called "Pencil Paper Puzzles", not "Sudoku-like puzzles"
btw Hitori is my favorite of theirs, along with Nurikabe

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

"Hitori by Nikoli (Hamster, $4.99) — This is basically Sudoku with numbers, "

Sudoku? With numbers? You don't say... :P

kobe1724

kobe1724 said:

First of all, congrats NL, you're featured in the e-shop again (I made a forum topic about it).
Seems like a pretty good week; still, $10 for Denpa Men seems a little pricey. Also, a little nitpick about the e-shop: the actual Virtual Console icon doesn't have Quarth in it, and when I look at Quarth, it states its original release date instead of the date it was released on the e-shop like all the other virtual console games. Consistency is needed Nintendo!

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

Might get The Denpa Men in the near future. I'm not really paying attention to the eShop or any other console for that matter in the term of buying games. Saving for the Wii U and it's launch titles.

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

The Australian eShop has let us down this week unfortunately, nothing for us to download, Next week is decent enough, VVVVVV, Mole Mania and Real Bout Fatal Fury 2, but VVVVVV really should've been here the same day as Europe...just really disappointing.....

Jstar269

Jstar269 said:

Wait, why does it say Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers has came to Wii VC, but the poll says 3DS VC next to it?

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

$10 does not seem pricey. $15 would be pricey. I am anyway happy that this Denpagame got localized. I loved the demo.

So I guess this confirms that the original Real Bout will not make it to the VC. Hope I am wrong.

GrumpyGoomba

GrumpyGoomba said:

Great week but Denpa men is a little more than I hoped for.Loved the demo but still going to wait for the review

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

Probably going to get Denpamen.

Anyone know how the wireless detection works for this game (when finding Denpa Men)? Is it restricted to certain types of wireless waves or should any type work?

FyreeTSG

FyreeTSG said:

can we PLEASE stop getting Neo Geo games on Wii VC? Where the hell is Star Fox, or SMW2??
There are MORE Neo Geo games than N64---which is SO flippin' wrong, it's criminal!

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I remember enjoying Quarth almost as much as Tetris back in the day. That's a definite download, everything else is kind of meh.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Yes it's about time Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 came out, now all we need is Garou: Mark of the Wolves, the final Fatal Fury game. After that they can start giving us KOF 97-2003, Samurai Shodown V Special, Matrimelee, and Art of Fighting 3.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

@FyreeTSG SMW2 and SF are FX games, and those can't come to the VC due to argonauts holding it back. I will agree that there are WAY too many street fighter ripoffs happening here.

Grodus

Grodus said:

Nothing. I'll pick up Denpa-Men sometime. Right now, I'm hungry for some NSMB2DLC. WAE (Weirdest acronym ever.)

Jukilum

Jukilum said:

Don't worry if you didn't like this week, next week NA gets more UFO Interactive! Hopefully there will be something to make up for that.