Shantae eShop Release Gets Closer

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

WayForward waiting for ESRB rating

Shantae: Risky's Revenge is one of the best-rated DSiWare releases, but it may not be well-known to all that it was actually a sequel to
Shantae on Game Boy Color, which was developed by WayForward Technologies and published by Capcom. Now that we have the 3DS Virtual Console, fans of the original naturally wonder whether we'll see the original on the platform.

Thankfully, since acquiring the full rights to the title, Wayforward is working on getting the title rated by ESRB for North American release. Once a rating is given it will go to Nintendo for approval and scheduling, so while it may be a while yet we at least know that it's on the way. One interesting point is that references to Capcom — such as the logo in the cover art — will be removed due to the publisher no longer holding any rights to the IP.

[via nintendoworldreport.com]

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

Great! This can help me decide if I should get Risky's revenge or not. The only problem is: Will it have a password system? I hate those in long GBC games.

Strange how the logo for Capcom was left alone in the 3DS port of the Minish Cap...

"There's been no specific mention of release plans in other regions yet, but we'll bring news to you if we hear otherwise."

Shantae never came out in any other regions. It may not come out until Nintendo decides to do import releases. We haven't received trip world for that reason.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

Even if Shantae did use password saves - I wouldn't know, I've never played it - I would think that restore points should resolve that issue nicely.

Anyway, very cool news, I've been meaning to play this game for years, and I'm obviously much more willing to give it a try at $5-6 than at the current going rate for a used cartridge ($150 is the cheapest I can find at eBay, $165 at the Amazon marketplace).

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@TheDreamingHawk Good point about other regions, but one of the big so-called bonuses of digital downloads is that previously region-specific games can get wider releases. Hopefully that'll be the case with Shantae :)

Rockmirth

Rockmirth said:

I just want to make it clear that there are NO passwords in this game, it uses saves like most other games.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I found this game to be rather disappointing, even compared to its DSiWare successor, but I won't pass up the chance to get a rare game for a super low price.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

YES! This pleases me greatly!
I wonder if they are enabling the GBA extra dance. I hope they are, because I never saw it myself.

Knux

Knux said:

I never had a chance to try this game! I can't wait to play it! :D

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I hope it gets released in Europe. I've been holding off of buying Risky's revenge as I wanted to play this first.

rafaelluik

rafaelluik said:

I can assure you it's definitely worth it!! One of the best games I've ever played!

That's if you like platform games of course. There's a lot of exploration+puzzles. ^^

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

I found this in a used game shop about a year ago. They wanted $170 for it. It's still there.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

This is great! I almost beat Risky's Revenge, and I get news of the original coming out soon.
Funny I was thinking when this would come out today :)

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Yawn.

Risky's Revenge was absolutely boring and repetitive to play, so I doubt I'll even try to give this one a go.

Garo

Garo said:

Great news. Maybe we'll get a 3rd Shantae adventure if this sells well enough.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

I already have this for the Game Boy Color and have played it, along with Risky's Revenge, thoroughly... over and over again, lol. Obviously, I'll be picking this up to have a convenient way of playing the original on the go without having to carry another portable system with me. Looks like my GBC cart will be destined purely for my Game Boy Player on my GameCube, lol.

20 posts in and NONE of you were wondering where I was? I'm hurt, lol.

Looks like it's time to begin with... WHERE'S MY SHANTAE?! >:-D

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

Eh, I didn't get to try RR due to it not available to my people (the mighty empire of Terra Australis), so I'm impartial to this release. :(

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

It says that Capcom was the publisher.
Does this mean she can play a role in Marvel VS Capcom, better yet, Project X Zone?

MeWario

MeWario said:

@GamerZack Just change your 3ds settings to Uk and you can download it =) When I found out I could do it I freaked! And Shantae Risky's Revenge is worth getting =)

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Just beat Shantae Risky's Revenge, and I cannot wait for the original, and a new 3DSWare Shantae game.
Come on @Wayforward, you know you want to make a new game, and take my money :P

Nanoline

Nanoline said:

@MeWario Yeah, for some reason this works for both downloads and taxes.

Every been irritated that you have enough on your 3DS money-wise for something, but not the tax? Just switch the home state to somewhere without a sales tax. Works like a charm.

Chriiis

Chriiis said:

@Kyloctopus Perhaps she'll make an appearance in the next SSB game then? Haha...there was a thread somewhere talking about other characters and I remember people bringing her up as one they'd like to see.

@Knuckles Who wouldn't want a 3rd game and onward? Haha...

GumbyX84

GumbyX84 said:

@GeminiSaint Agreed. I wish they had a a way to give it the other GBA enhancements (better (brighter) color palette), but I doubt Nintendo's GBC emulator has that kinda option. Here's hoping they can at least unlock the GBA exclusives. If not, we would miss out on an extra Gasha seed in the Zelda Oracle games!

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

I'm so excited! Been DYING to play this since I finished Risky's Revenge, but couldn't find the cart anywhere for less than $200.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

Risky's Revenge wasn't released in Australia (and neither was the original for that matter), so like some of the others here, I'm having doubts as to whether this will actually be released here.

The good news though, is that Risky's Revenge is available on iOS devices for only a dollar or two (which is ridiculously cheap compared to the $18 asking price via the eShop or the DSi store if they had bothered to release it here).

metafaniel

metafaniel said:

Day 1 buy! I also enjoyed Risky's Revenge a lot and, a 3rd part in the series it's NEEDED to fully understand Risky's game ending.
I wonder if they'll add the Tinkerbat Dance transformation will be available
Because it was only unlocked if you played the original GBC game in a GBA...
They really should add it as it's the most powerful transformation in this game!

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

Can't wait for this game,i loved the sequel,but never played the original.

So yeah i am definitely getting this!

FluxOwl

FluxOwl said:

Eh, I didn't really enjoy Risky's Revenge, so this one probably isn't for me.

And is it just me, or do the number of platforming games on 3DS VC vastly outweigh the other genres?

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

Cool, Shantae 2 was great and I only got to play this one a little bit so it would be a welcome addition to the 3DSVC roster.

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sakura_Moonlight2421 said:

Hell yeah!!! Do you guy have any idea how rare those cartridges are!! Hell I found one on Ebay for $200. {Didn't buy it since I needed the money to pay off bills.}

Bane

Bane said:

So the original game will be on the eShop :D. I wonder when, i have Risky's Revenge and its awesome!