E3 2012: Ding Dong, Friend Codes are Dead on Wii U

Posted by James Newton

Happy day

Short but snappy: the dreaded friend codes are gone on Wii U.

Shane Satterfield from GameTrailers.com received the good news this morning.

Oh yeah, was confirmed to me today that friend codes are gone for Wii U.

Wii U's Miiverse is now the central hub for meeting people and making friends on Wii U, and with online accounts we should all be exchanging usernames instead of nonsensical 12-digit numbers by the year's end.

We imagine this news will make you very happy indeed.

[via twitter.com]

Qeuix

Qeuix said:

Finally now we don't have to give out our friend codes anymore on the internet! :D

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Xilef: Was it now? Source, please.

It's about time they got their heads out of their butts and fixed this mess. We can only hope they figure out a way to patch that fix into the 3DS as well...it should theoretically be possible since the individual games don't read or use friend codes anyway...

CommanderAudio

CommanderAudio said:

Am I the only one who's kinda sad bout this? Now you're oblivious over what your friends are doing or playing etc.

Malkeor

Malkeor said:

@PikminMonster

No not really.Also you can no doubt see what others are playing regardless... Here's an example. PSN isn't friend code based and I can see what my friends are playing.

hillbill26

hillbill26 said:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!
I SO HAPPY!

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

Yay! Now I don't have to swap FCs with everyone on the wii U!

I just hope I don't get random friend requests every day.

Malkeor

Malkeor said:

Also, upon reading 'Ding-Dong' the first thing that came to mind was the old man from the pre-E3 Wii U video.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

it is a little loss for people who like to stay more anonymous

no idea what nickname i should use. i guess you are bound to one once you've made an account right?

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

Eh, I never really had troubles using friend codes (mostly because I never went crazy adding random people on games), but I guess this is ok.

@Malkeor: Same here.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Well this is depressing, not looking forward to this one. Guess now it will be a rush to get your desired user name. :(

SageofShadow

SageofShadow said:

At last! Friend Codes were limiting to the Nintendo online experience, if you can even call it, 'online'. I hope Nintendo keeps going in this direction.

mamp

mamp said:

This is awesome and it should have been said at the conference.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Knowing just how vast the Miiverse is, such good news should be expected. Besides, there were already musings going around that friend codes were going to be doomed following the Wii U's reveal last year. Rejoice!

Chris720

Chris720 said:

We were told this last year, so y'know...

I don't mind the singular Friend Code on the 3DS. The Wii on the other hand was ridiculous! Friend code for every game? Sheesh...

I just hope not to see stupid names like "NintendoSuks", "SonyWins", "360Fails!" etc. etc.

Alfred_ENG

Alfred_ENG said:

Wii U with accounts, pro controller, HDMI, and being able to talk and play with strangers online. Excellent job Nintendo. All i need is a large HDD so i can play the games off that and i will be happy (I hate the disc spinning). F-Zero U.

WesCash

WesCash said:

Good riddance. As long as they don't just replace them with some other horrible idea. Just a simple add "Username" as a friend and have that person accept the invitation.

siavm

siavm said:

How has this been confirmed for a year yet no one talked about it until now?

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

With this, the Wii U Pro Controller, the great games coming around, and the ability to transfer Wii VC data; the Wii U has surpassed the phrase "insta-buy."

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

This is fine so long as I don't get invites from strangers. One positive of friend codes was that both people had to know eachother and thier code. In other words, only people you gave permission to would know who you are.

darkgamer001

darkgamer001 said:

Yeah, I frequently get stranger invites on PSN...it can be a bit irritating.
But anyway, the removal of friend codes will obviously streamline online interactions, and that is obviously a good thing. I just don't get why this was not implemented on the 3DS as well. Even back then, I think Nintendo knew that people thought that their FC system was archaic

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

All I want is the ability to add random strangers as friends. On Mario Kart 7, when I encounter a formidable foe, I wish I could add them so I can challenge them in the future. Or in Resident Evil Revelations in Raid Mode, when I partner up with someone that is right at my level and we skillfully tear through hordes of Hunters, I want to add them.

SageofShadow

SageofShadow said:

@kyuubikid213: Yes, I totally have to agree with you on this one. I was playing RE: Revelations Raid Mode earlier and I can't help but imagine how improved it would be with the addition of voice chat, or even text-based chat. There are times where I want to talk to the Host player, in order to decide what stage we should play, and unfortunately we are unable to communicate. With a game such as Revelations, communication between the players is important, especially when you want to plan a strategy, or call a team mate for help. Nintendo is making great strides toward better online experiences, but in my opinion, it has a long way to go.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Now where are the online lobbies? That was the biggest problem with Wii's online multiplayer. I want to quickly see and choose which game to join, and I should be able to know when nobody's currently looking to play a certain game mode without waiting for a few minutes at a "Searching for an opponent..." screen.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

This is fantastic news! Hopefully that means that a big change is coming to the 3DS as well and that Friend Codes will be removed altogether.

x10power

x10power said:

Riddle time, Who is awake when someone else should be sleeping, Hint the answer is not James. :D

zeldaeevee64

zeldaeevee64 said:

OMG YES! I could never remember my friend code, or my friend's friend code, s this will be alot better!

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

instead of typing in 16 digit codes, we now get to type in 20 plus charecter names that people can barely pronounce, let alone spell. yeah, smart move.
@kyuubikid213 if you go to your friends list on mario kart 7. under your friends list, there`s a list of your recent opponents and a list below that for people you`ve street passed.
it`s just a case of having to check your lists to see who`s on when you`re online.

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

I hope this means a nice update to the 3DS as well but don't expect it. It's cool though, Nintendo is getting more into the online gaming era.

TysonOfTime

TysonOfTime said:

Ding, dong, the codes are dead.
Friend codes dead.
Nintendo said.
Ding, dong, abysmal codes are dead!
It's time for a new bend,
12 digits end.
PLZ BE MAH FREND!
Ding, dong, Nintendo's got a head!

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@Candido0411 I already get random friend invites on Facebook, Xbox Live, and PSN. Why? Because all they need to send something to me is my name. I don't like that, especially since on some stuff they can keep up with what you're doing even if you don't froend them back.

SMW

SMW said:

Finally! Now, I wonder how this system will work. I wonder if it will use our usernames from Club Nintendo/Tech Forums or if we choose new ones.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

It's coming to the 3ds to because they have already said that the Miiverse was coming to the 3DS too.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

I'll start being relieved when i see how the Wii U's online exactly works.
I think the biggest problem would be if someone copied your username (small L's and capital i's are just too similar for example). If they found a way to prevent this it would be amazing.
Another question would be if somebody can add you without your permission.
Also what @BulbasaurusRex(#48) said.

@TysonQ7(#57): Not bad, not . bad. :D

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

Yeah!

@28 - It's the internets - there WILL be names like that, unfortunately.

To reiterate; Yeah!

ATDI

ATDI said:

@dizzy_boy The problem is that I can't remember my own friend code. Usernames usually get shared in person or over text, so spelling won't be an issue. Usernames are indeed a smart move.

wariowarewolf

wariowarewolf said:

@Demonic Why would you even see the username NintendoSuks on a Nintendo console anyway! THANK U REGGIE!! I NOW TRULY BELIEVE IN YOUR WISDOM AND YOUR BODY.

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

I'm indifferent to this... I won't be registering friends on a console my sister will use with me. :/

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Ding dong, Friend codes are dead, grab you wiimotes, get out of bed, ding dong, the wicked codes are dead...

Unless, of course, you are using the Wii-U console to play Wii games online. If that's the case, standard friend code rules still apply... Hopefully, the existing online Wii games w/ codes will still work on Wii-U? :P