Flame Red 3DS Reaches North America on 9th September

Posted by James Newton

Hot stuff?

You knew it would happen sooner or later: the snazzy Flare Red 3DS console is leaving Japan and coming to North America next month.

The new colour machine — renamed to Flame Red — launches on 9th September alongside Star Fox 64 3D, with retailers and publishers re-pledging their support for the console in advance of its price cut.

Are you going to pick up a red one?

NINTENDO GETS FIRED UP FOR THE HOLIDAYS WITH NEW FLAME RED NINTENDO 3DS

New Color, New Price and Great Games Make Nintendo 3DS a Must-Have

REDMOND, Wash., Aug. 10, 2011 – Nintendo is making sure the holidays are hot this year with a new Flame Red version of its portable Nintendo 3DS™ system. The new color launches Sept. 9 alongside the new Star Fox 64™ 3D game, and comes on the heels of a new $169.99 suggested retail price, which goes into effect Aug. 12 in the United States. Flame Red joins Cosmo Black and Aqua Blue, so now shoppers have three distinct and fashionable colors to choose from.

"Nintendo 3DS is poised to be on fire for the holidays, with its new suggested retail price, great games and our new Flame Red color," said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. "With major upcoming releases in the Star Fox, Pokémon and Mario series, in addition to downloadable offerings from Nintendo eShop, Nintendo Video and Netflix, the system offers new and fun experiences to owners on a daily basis."

On the software side, third-party developers have lined up to deliver great new experiences that make use of the unique features of Nintendo 3DS.

"Nintendo 3DS is an amazing piece of technology that offers players incredible 3D games without the need for special glasses. Beyond that, it's an affordable dedicated gaming machine. Simply put, Nintendo 3DS is a fabulous device," said Laurent Detoc, President, North America, Ubisoft. "Ubisoft has been a big supporter of Nintendo 3DS since the beginning with eight Nintendo 3DS games released to date and another eight games coming out before the end of calendar year 2011."

Retailers are also anticipating a strong showing from Nintendo 3DS this holiday season.

"The new, lower Nintendo 3DS price combined with a hot new color and big-name games will entice even more Target guests to get their hands on this first-of-its-kind 3D gaming experience," said Nik Nayar, vice president of Merchandising, Target.

"GameStop customers were excited about the Nintendo 3DS launch, and this lower price point should spark additional demand," said GameStop President Tony Bartel. "With a solid back-half game lineup, the Nintendo 3DS price drop is well timed to drive consumer interest and purchases through the holiday season."

Nintendo is planning the release of two upcoming games starring its famous hero, Mario™, this holiday season. Super Mario™ 3D Land will launch in November, while Mario Kart™ 7 becomes available in December. Super Mario 3D Land is a new platforming game that takes full advantage of 3D graphics to deliver new puzzles, more precise jumping action and a remarkable new visual perspective on the Mushroom Kingdom. The game also marks the return of Mario's fan-favorite Tanooki Suit, which allows him to strike enemies with his tail and slowly descend after jumping. Mario Kart 7 is a new racing game that includes multiple characters from the Mushroom Kingdom, Kart customization and intense multiplayer action. Players can now race on land, sea and air, sail through the sky with the new hang glider feature and drive underwater in some stages. Both games are completely new and are designed specifically for the Nintendo 3DS system.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 units have been sold in the U.S. alone. Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo's most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once or performs a system update before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

1. Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost.

2. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy™ Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi's Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

For more information about the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program, visit http://support.nintendo.com/3dsambassador. More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Remember that Nintendo 3DS features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/3ds

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

Hopefully we see this Down Under...then I shall finally obtain a red 3DS and a blue 3DS. :)

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

Wish I could manually switch the color of my 3DS. Red looks super good, but, I feel good with my launch title color, Aqua Blue.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I saw a Flare Red 3DS unboxing video on YouTube and it looks really nice. Oh well, I picked up a Cosmo Black system yesterday and I am perfectly happy with it especially since I got it at the new reduced price.:D

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Now i want a third screen component in yellow / gold. That would be my ultimate reason to salute Nintendo. ;)

Teh-Ray

Teh-Ray said:

Ah, cruel fate, how I wish I could trade my blue 3DS with all my games to a red one.

I'll never understand why Nintendo doesn't launch their consoles in red ( Aside from Virtual Boy ) when their leading mascot's primary color is portrayed as red.

Oh well, I love my 3DS.

One last thing: lol@after Ambassador date.

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

I still don't like the colour hinge so close to the 3d screen . I wish the inner surfaces were either all colour or all black. Which is of course why I went with Cosmos Black.

Blaze

Blaze said:

I agree with Ryathehedgehog, although I suppose it's something you have to deal with for buying at launch, among numerous other things.... Still, hope this boosts the 3DS' sales!!! :-)

The3DSisMINE

The3DSisMINE said:

I can't wait for PukingGreen or BlindingYellow . . . heck I even would take MucusOrange - maybe I'll pass on that. I still love my AquaBlue 3DS

Darel18

Darel18 said:

Wow, finally a cheap 3DS, red and with a good game!
BUT
Still.. won't buy it, I love Star Fox and all but it doesn't have online... Your bad Nintendo.

Still waiting for a good pack to buy this console (Kid Icarus maybe? or Mario Kart 7 :D )

Nintenzo

Nintenzo said:

Oh, very nice! If the "Alchemic Purple" doesn't come out by Christmas, I'll pick this up. :D

mumoftwokids

mumoftwokids said:

i want the red one. but to get the 20 free games i`m getting the blue one....maybe next year i`ll get the red one, when i can transfer my software from one 3DS to another.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@Teh-Ray Apparently, you can transfer games in between systems. There's an option under System Settings->Other Settings->System Transfer called Transfer from Nintendo 3DS.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like that option is available yet. I clicked it and it says the option will be made available in a future update.

GTWarrior77

GTWarrior77 said:

I haven't bought a 3ds yet and standing on the verge of doing so. The red one is very tempting but I am still leaning towards the Aqua Blue.

Good move from Nintendo to boost sales. They'll probably announce a red 3ds bundle with Mario 3d land or Mario Kart closer to Christmas.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

@nintendomaster

I love the color Blue. so, anything blue (or orange) i will get. Even purple. Black is too plain just as white. And the 3DS is a fingerprint magnet, so Blue is perfect if you dont want to see it easily. Then again, an orange aluminum case is being used on my 3ds, as if that's it's legit color- and it's easy to hold like my DSi's matte finish.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Argh, should I just buy a black one on the 12th, or wait that long just to get a red one...
Arrgh, the decision is killing me! D:

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

@superlink68
Nah. I forgot they existed. I just like the combination of blue and orange and stand alone as well.

Yup. Nothing sports related or influenced.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Still happy with my Cosmo Black. n_n Best color ever! But at least this will shut a lot of people up.

GTWarrior77

GTWarrior77 said:

The only reason for me to pick up the red one will be if they sorted out the screen scratching issue. If that's not the case, as stated above, Aqua Blue it is.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

Let's review the facts, shall we?

• The 3DS logo has a red '3' in it
  • Red and blue are the colors typically used in anaglyph 3D glasses
  • Nintendo marketed the 3DS atop cases full of those glasses

Red is the best color. It was a no-brainer. It should've been available from the start, Nintendo!! So glad it's not hitting before August 12th, though.

Also, please tell me you're going to bundle it with Star Fox. Bundles sell systems. But of course you won't, Nintendo. Even though they're coming out on the same day.

SilentJ

SilentJ said:

Nice! I'm not fan of the color but my brother loves red so I'm hoping he'll end up buying it. He usually lets his ds collect dust so I'll get my hands on it soon enough without spending a dime.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@NintendoMaster.

I don't understand how anybody can go with black....It looks generic, dull and boring in comparison to how beautiful the Aqua Blue 3DS look. it's gorgeous, fun and colorful. It's no doubt why Nintendo chose Aqua blue as their main choice of color. Black is ordinary, but people like ordinary i guess. :p

moosa

moosa said:

I wonder if there's a way to transfer Ambassador status over to a red 3DS...

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Guess I wait till next month to get my 3DS good thing they announced this today I was about to pick up a blue one today, but I much rather have the red one.

LordTendoboy

LordTendoboy said:

Hopefully they fixed all the hardware issues of the earlier models (bad hinges, hairline cracks in the casing, etc.).

DO WANT.

NassaDane

NassaDane said:

If for most of the time I will be looking at the Top Screen and for the most part I'll be seeing Black I have to ask Why did I want a RED 3DS in the first place? It’s a horrible idea to put that Black screen on the top. I highly doubt the effect it has on the 3D effect is that substantial to take away from it. Should I wait for a Real! Red 3DS or just get this? I doubt they'll ever fix this. But besides that big complaint this is what I've been waiting for to make me get a 3DS (and the huge price cut is icing on the cake).

MetroidMasher17

MetroidMasher17 said:

@PureTrainer They should make a yellow one, too, so there would be red, blue, and yellow 3DS systems. Get it? Pokémon Red & Blue Versions, and the Special Pikachu edition, also known as Yellow Version.

This means that there will be no such thing as a red North American 3DS that is in the Ambassador Program. :(

motang

motang said:

I so wanted this color at launch but since it wasn't available I opted in for the all black one.