Take On the Master Quest in Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

Posted by James Newton

3D 2-4-1

As if getting to play one of the greatest games ever in the upcoming Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time wasn't enough for you, the 3DS cartridge will also come with the harder Zelda: Ocarina of Time: Master Quest included, according to Nintendo of America's David Young.

The Master Quest version of the classic game is essentially a remix, with different dungeon layouts, more enemies and tougher puzzles. As far as added bonuses go, it's a welcome extra for Zelda experts and those wanting to experience the game in a new way.

[via gamerzines.com]

Hokori

Hokori said:

I want this now
I didnt b4 but seens how I havent played Master Quest Ill get this

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Didn't someone make a thread about this a while back? Kinda late, huh?

Anyways...I can't wait for this! :D

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Well that's a nice addition. Of course, if they wanted to remix it further, they'd make Zelda your playable character, lol ^^;

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

Alright, now I kinda want it. Never got around to playing the MQ and I don't really feel like going through OoT for the umpteenth time, but remixed a little is enough of an excuse to do so.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

I wonder if it needs to be unlocked by beating the main game once, or if it's available from the start.

I really hope it's the latter.

Cipher

Cipher said:

I expect you'll probably have to beat the main game before you can play Master Quest. That, or could always try calling your save file ZELDA and see if that works...

Rankerfire2

Rankerfire2 said:

YEAH... even though I never played ocarina or master quest but then its more fun me think ;)

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I beat this game originally when it was first released and I've somehow managed to keep myself from playing it again since, so this one should be a welcome play for me after all of this time. :)

Punny

Punny said:

Two adventures in one? It's like the original Zelda (or the GameCube version of Ocarina of Time) all over again! :)

1080ike

1080ike said:

...And that's pretty much sealed the deal for me. Before, I wasn't sure if I was going to get it or not, but now I'll be first in line the day it releases. Good thing I've yet to play MQ, seeing as I couldn't be bothered to get the Gamecube port because my N64 copy still works.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

Good! I was hoping they'd add this in--currently playing the Master Quest version on the gamecube disc and it's a ton more engaging than the regular version (I actually enjoyed the Deku Tree this time! And it was actually kinda hard!)

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Wow I wasn't expecting this, was hoping for it, but didn't think they'd go through with it - thanks Ninty!

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

Excellent news. This might very well become the ultimate version of OoT.
Also, for those wondering, Master Quest is akin to the second quest in Zelda 1.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Nice~ I'm currently playing through Master Quest on the Wind Waker bonus disk. I actually prefer it to the original xD

Colors

Colors said:

I haven't played a zelda game other then the two DS ones and I barely know anything about OoT...I'm so going to own that master quest. :)

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Beaten the original on multiple occasions, but have yet to play Master Quest. Really looking forward to this one! :D

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

I'm going to refrain from playing OoT now, so I can enjoy it all the more when it comes out in June. :)

NassaDane

NassaDane said:

I think i just broke my jaw. Because it just hit the floor reading this great news!

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

I may pick this up at some point then. I have the GCN disk, but I probably won't be able to use it when the next Nintendo home console comes out.

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

Nintendo pretty much HAD to put the Master Quest on this, not that I wasn't going to buy this anyway . . . lol

CowLaunch

CowLaunch said:

Don't really get the big deal about the master quest, but it certainly isn't an unwelcome addition though.

MrMagpie

MrMagpie said:

Master Quest is great, though I never could get past the Forest Temple on it. I have a friend who put hours and hours into it, and they maintain that the MQ Spirit Temple is impossible. It's not enemies that are the problem (although I believe that there is an Iron Knuckle at the entrance to the Fire Temple!), just the puzzles are so damn different!

PlaystationThWii60

PlaystationThWii60 said:

I too found the MQ version of Oot to be difficult, but I look forward to taking a crack at it on another system. Come to think of it, I might just start working on my GCN version anyway...

Phobos

Phobos said:

triforceofcourage said: "This may be what convinces me to buy this. Thanks Nintendo."

Yasume

Yasume said:

Now I'm going to get this. I've never played the GCN version. Awesome!

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Thats great but I'm playing Master Quest at the moment so after I finish it I won't want to play it for a while again.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

...I'd love to play the Master Quest version. D: Now I just need a 3DS and OoT 3D... urgh...

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

Awesome. I finally get to play master quest. I hope its unlock able from the start and not a New Game + thing.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Hope I don't have to unlock Master Quest. It'd be great to play it right away since I've played the normal quest multiple times already.

EdEN

EdEN said:

This will make it easier for people to justify the $40 price tag on the game.

@DarkKirby Master Quest was unlocked from the start on the NES original by using a specific name for Link so my guess is the same could be the case with the 3DS remake.

Retrogamer88

Retrogamer88 said:

i am probably the only person on this planet who hasnt played this game all the way threw and now i cant wait to play it because after i complete the game the master quest will be waiting for me to challange it!! cant wait

Ren

Ren said:

haven't played it again since my first playthrough of the original, even though it was one of the best game experiences I've ever had. This makes it a very appealing option.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@CowLaunch: MQ is playing through a Zelda game, generally on the same file, available after you just beat the game. Also generally, master quests are supposed to be harder, & have not only different dungeon layouts, but also items in different areas of their original locations, or in altogether different areas. It's to mix up the game, & to add some replay. The original Zelda had one, The Adventure of Link has one(though different from the conventional mq style), There is a Japan-only game in the style Link to the Past that most consider to be similar to what a mq for that Zelda would be like, & Ocarina has one.

Edit: Also, Nintendo probably knows, &/or has considered ppl knowing the way to access mq, if they are considering to make accessing it done by in-game, rather than a choice from the start. To the best of my knowledge, 1 Zelda did something different for when the method of unlocking a mq was used, so Nintendo might also consider that. My guess is (that) b/c this is (in the) news, the game will probably be set-up to let you access it from the start, maybe.