Features: Vote For Nintendo Life Reader's Choice Award 2010

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Make sure your favorite game of the year gets the acclaim you feel it deserves

It wouldn't be too much of an understatement to say that Nintendo platforms had a mammoth year in 2010 with regards to excellent software.

But we play by Thunderdome rules here at Nintendo Life around award season, and we're handing over a cache of weapons to you. Which is deserving of your Wii or DS Game of the Year? Tell us!

Wii had one of its most diverse years yet with truly something for everyone, playing home to titles ranging from instant-classic platformers Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Donkey Kong Country Returns to punk slasher No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle, online gigTdfiant Monster Hunter 3, stealthy GoldenEye 007 and its very own exclusive 2D fighter in the form of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars. On the portable front, titles like Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Sky, Picross 3D and Infinite Space ensured numb legs aplenty.

And despite seeing more than their fair share of incomprehensible garbage, WiiWare and DSiWare each received a horde of gems, from the bizarre Muscle March and Tomena Sanner to a double dose of Cave Story, the return of Shantae as well as the likes of BIT.TRIP RUNNER/FATE and Aura-Aura Climber.

Vote by heading on over to the Contact Us page (make sure GAME OF THE YEAR is selected as the subject). Categories include:

• Overall Wii (including WiiWare) game
  • Overall DS (including DSiWare) game
  • Overall Game of the Year

Need a refresher on what came out last year? Be sure to hit up our Games page and filter by release date.

The deadline for voting is Friday, Jan. 7. Winners will be announced Sunday, Jan. 9, right after our own staff awards are revealed.

Tethers

Tethers said:

Overall Wii (including WiiWare) game: Super Mario Galaxy 2
Overall DS (including DSiWare) game: Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Overall Game of the Year: Super Mario Galaxy 2

Omega

Omega said:

What are the prizes for participating? And is it NA or Europe or both?

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

@Omega: It's not a contest, it's a Game of the Year award. If you would like to vote for your favorite then by all means please do so. No prizes, open to all.

luke17

luke17 said:

I think Wiiware needs its own category, bc there is no way it can compete with Wii games.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

@L.Brown: lol, that's exactly how I voted too :)

@luke17: I agree. Wiiware as well as DSiWare need their own catagory since there are very few games on either service that could go toe to toe with a retail product.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@L.Brown: As stated in the fifth paragraph of the article, use the Contact Form to submit your vote, please :3 You're welcome to discuss your votes here as well, but unless they're submitted via the Contact Form, they won't count toward the total.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I voted for SMG2 for Wii and overall GOTY and Professor Layton and the lost future for DS GOTY. I agree with Luke17 and bboy2970, wiiware and dsiware don't have many games that can compete with most retail games so I think they should have their own catagories.

andyutd97

andyutd97 said:

Am I the only one who gave DKCR a overall game of the year. Come On Guys Its The Return Of Donkey Kong !!!

Tethers

Tethers said:

@ theblackdragon: I'd already submitted my vote via the Contact Form before I posted my choices here, don't worry ;).

AVahne

AVahne said:

I would say Monster Hunter Tri, but Super Mario Galaxy 2 takes the cake (no pun intended)

pixelman

pixelman said:

Submitted my vote. If anyone votes for ANYTHING besides Monster Hunter Tri and Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light, you will experience my great displeasure.

Gameday

Gameday said:

MH3T is game of the year over here music , style , and feel of the game took me by surprise and being new to the series it used wii speak and basically dropped having to add/chart down a friend code not forgetting conduit but this is this years game of the year. I gotta say Hunt or Die Trying

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

@bro2dragons: I was seriously seriously considering 999 as I absolutely loved that game to pieces. But in the end, it is "game" of the year and Layton really is just more of a game and just more well-rounded all around. If I was going 100 percent on plot and story telling, my vote would have gone to 999.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

WiiWare and DSiWare should get there own seperate catagory for game of the year. I think it would be interesting to see how readers rank the best digital games in these catagories. Lumping them in with the retail releases will give them less of a chance to stand out.

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

Much to my dismay I've barely played any Wii or DS games this year. In fact, I haven't played any Wii games at all. I'm really missing out. :(

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

If Metroid: Other M wins, I'm going to murder someone. i swear to god people will never stop wrangling over that stupid game. I'll never be free of the arguing. :(

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

I hope dragon doesn't murder me for voting for Other M 55 times...jk :D

SaqBalam

SaqBalam said:

I have to vote for SMG 2. It is flawless.
I have to make some room for Cave Story too. I had played it so many times and i still enjoy it. It´s a great game!

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

Alright, maybe you guys can help me decide on the best overall GOTY Shantae (haven't played it yet, but its the only DS game this year I was really interested in, and I REALLY liked the Originial when I played through it a few months ago) or SMG 2 (I don't have DKCR yet, so I'm not at liberty to vote for it)?

Both games are top-notch in their own respects. SMG 2 is longer, but then again, its 4-5 times the price. Plus Shantae: RR is portable!

Basically, which game did you find more enjoyable while it lasted?

Punny

Punny said:

I hope Donkey Kong Country Returns gets a high number of votes, but I know for sure that Super Mario Galaxy 2 is going to win. :)

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I'm narrowing down my choices. There were a lot of excellent games last year. For Wii and Game of the Year I'm torn between Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Donkey Kong Country Returns. For DS my top choices are Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, Etrian Odyssey III, 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors and Professor Layton and the Unwound Future. I pick Cave Story as best WiiWare and Shantae as best DSiWare.

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

Since they couldn't be listed elsewhere...
WiiWare: Art Style: Rotozoa for me (though I'd be tempted to vote for my own game)
DSiWare: Cave Story

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

Haha my WiiWare and DSiWare choices actually trumped the retail games for me in 2010, so I voted for those.

I'd like Wii only and DS only categories, myself.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

@42: Don't worry, I know of at least one person who's voting for your game. :D

(Airport Mania that is, folks. I honestly can't say enough good about that one.)

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

GoldenEye 007 for me! I love it! I haven't had this much fun playing local Multiplayer since Mario Kart 64 and (of course) the original GoldenEye 007.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

I don't think Nintendo Life will revoke your membership if you don't... Will, you, guys?!

DarkEdi

NintyMan said:

Best Wii game: Super Mario Galaxy 2
Best DS game: Warioware D.I.Y
Overall Game of the Year: Super Mario Galaxy 2

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Monster Hunter Tri the whole way! Nothing captured my attention more than Monster Hunter Tri in 2010.

Also, I agree with luke17, WiiWare and DSiWare should have its own category because they can't hope to compete with retail games, however I have seen some do it before... World of Goo everyone? :3

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

My Game of the Year votes are...
Overall Wii (including WiiWare) game: Donkey Kong Country Returns
Overall DS (including DSiWare) game: Infinite Space
Overall Game of the Year: Donkey Kong Country Returns

I voted those as despite the amazing year of great releases on both platforms, I have had the greatest time playing games from years past that I had let slip my view. There should be a vote for 'best game you played last year' :) Oh & add my vote in for seperate categories for WiiWare & DSiWare!!! :D