Updated Cave Story Remixed Soundtrack Released

Posted by Corbie Dillard

And it won't cost you a cent!

That's right, the nice folks over at Nicalis have just released an amazing updated remixed Cave Story soundtrack and it's now available for download completely free of charge. You can click here to download the 3 disc zip file.

We'll keep you posted on any new announcements regarding the upcoming European release of Cave Story and if you're still undecided on a purchase, you can always check out our review of the game to help you make up your mind.

[via nicalis.com]

Punny

Punny said:

Sweet! I love the music in Cave Story, not to mention my high affinity for anything free. :)

Swiket

Swiket said:

Sure, it's "free", but I had to pay my ISP to access the internet.

Nice try, Nicalis.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Wow, tough crowd today. I guess it's fitting that I changed my avatar. :)

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

Awesome! Free music! I just hope that they didn't mess with the pieces from the original game too much.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Sorry, there is currently no news on an update or patch. We'll let you know if we hear anything down the line.

MakeMyBiscuit

MakeMyBiscuit said:

Sweet! Thank you Nicalis!
I appreciate it! :) :) :)

I'm listening now and is is SWEET!!!

I would have paid to have this.

Thanks again!

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Expecting a patch for a game on Wii is like expecting a pear to turn into an apple; it doesn't matter what you'd RATHER have, you're stuck with the inferior model. Obviously, this analogy fails if you prefer pears to apples, but if that's the case, you're crazy anyway.;)

Now, all that said, I do want the game patched as well. I just know better than to expect it.:P

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

There's a difference between expecting it and merely asking about it, Stuffo. At this point, I think folks are more hopeful than anything else.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

I think its funny when people complain about something free...I mean, if you spent you're hard-earned money on it, then that's a different story. I know I will be giving that album a download.

BlueBandanaJake

BlueBandanaJake said:

Woot! Thanks alot for this!
Here's hoping they patch the game, I'm sure it's possible (wasnt Konami able to do it with Gradius Rebirth? So it can be done).

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Well, as everybody has been saying, a patch would have been the ideal thing. But at least now we get to hear the remixed soundtrack the way it was meant to be heard. And considering how mindblowing the Cave Story soundtrack is, this is quite awesome.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

Wow, as a Cave Story superfan (the OST is my favorite ever) this is slightly amazing. Thank you so much Nicalis.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

I actually enjoyed the new music they put in the Wii version. I know I'm in the minority on that one, but I think it was a bit moodier. Yeah, probably not true to the graphical presentation, but, y'know, it's WiiWare in the end, the music didn't hurt the experience for me, I'm a fan, so Save As.

So, not exactly the game music, but, you know, I dig it. Awesome work.

jbrodack

jbrodack said:

People aren't complaining about something that's free, they are just still upset that the game hasn't been patched yet after having been out a while. I know the system nintendo has in place isn't the best for having patches but it has been done before and its something this game could really use.

tyrone

tyrone said:

For those of you that liked Dustin Kulwicki's remixes, definitely check out more of his work: http://vgmdb.net/artist/1262
For those of you who didn't like the WiiWare audio--we know and we're sorry it wasn't what you wanted. We should have some news for you maybe in the near future. If any of you are at TGS, please stop by and say hello.

Omega

Omega said:

I've already downloaded the Cave Story Remix Project some time ago from here. And I don't want to download 133MB again because my internet connection is slow as a snail. So, to make it short and clear: What's new in this updated version?

ZarroTsu

ZarroTsu said:

SQUEEEEEE SQUEEEEEE SQUEEEEEE SQUEEEEEE SQUEEEEEE SQUEEEEEE SQUEEEEEE SQUEEEEEE SQUEEEEEE SQUEEEEEE SQUEEEEEE SQUEEEEEE
~ Egg Corridor.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Wowza this music is awesome! :D How could anyone not love this music? :D

I must be a bit behind but what are you guys saying Cave Story needs a patch for the music for? Because the tracks aren't like this? I don't get it :S

Tethers

Tethers said:

Really nice music, thanks for the link!

(I really don't understand why some complain about something like that...)

moosa

moosa said:

I also don't recognize any of the audio "glitches" people keep talking about except one, which is when too many exp crystals are bouncing around and it causes a rather loud, ringing interference. A minor annoyance. I've always kinda wondered if people just mistook the fact that the redone music is a bit "different" for it being messed up somehow. Would anyone care to explain to me exactly what these issues are supposed to be?

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

@25:
So you'd like a patch yourself, but feel it important to act snarky when somebody else asks if we're getting one?

Well...whatever floats your boat I guess. :D

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

@37. moosa:
Some instruments, such as the percussion, are missing. In fact, some of the people who worked on the arranged music for the game said it's not playing back the way it should, plus the problem was acknowledged by Nicalis themselves at some point.

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

No need to hurry any more. They failed to release it here in EU before Metroid and I'm not buying it anymore. Even the good sh*t gets old, while travelling to EU, which many publishers must have learned.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

@42. Varoennauraa:
It also took ages to be released in the US, but it eventually appeared. Now, you Europeans are lucky because you'll get an updated version of the game (whenever it's out, of course). I think the best course of action is not to lose your sleep waiting for it - It probably won't be out until the holiday season anyway. So just forget about it, play other games, and let it be released whenever it's released. Then rejoice.

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

In game it's a tough call. The original soundtrack suffers from low quality yet the updated soundtrack ruins the songs. The PC version feels better because the original soundtrack still sounds good. It's almost like they are running a highpass filter on the Wii version because it's muffled in comparison.

techno_shaman_ichauk

techno_shaman_ichauk said:

Haha, wow... I'm actually kind of amazed at how many people are complaining about this. Then again, haters are always gonna hate.

I say thumbs-up, especially to Tackle's version of "Grass Stains". I'll air-guitar to this all afternoon instead of doing my homework.

HvE

HvE said:

Nice! Now I just have to continue waiting for the EU WiiWare version...

moosa

moosa said:

@Varoennauraa I can assure you that Cave Story is not a generic "Metroidvania" experience. It's completely different from Other M and has more than enough originality to stand on it's own as a very unique experience. I'm positive you could have room in your gaming appetite for Cave Story. ;)

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Chicken: It is within my nature to spread the bleak realism of hopelessness, yes. I would like an update, but I don't see as it's worth asking because I VERY much doubt it'll ever happen. As a result, I never got to finish the game. Same thing happened with Lit. I hate seeing Europeans complain about massively delayed releases when they get the versions that work correctly, and we don't.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Okay, so I just got a chance overlapped with a memory to actually download the music, and it IS awesome...don't want to downplay the quality of the free download just because I find the actual game's situation frustrating.:)

Zenman

Zenman said:

awesome! i loved the remixed theme and soundtrack...
interesting fact: this means that i now have on my ipod the original and remixed Cave Story Soundtracks

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@jbrodack: you said people weren't complaining about something that's free, so I pointed out three examples of people doing exactly that. :3

jbrodack

jbrodack said:

@theblackdragon sorry, don't know how I read that wrong. You did get me there though 5 might be meant as a joke. Still, the main idea of my post was that the general negative reactions here are more from the main game remaining unpatched and the fact that to people who paid for the game its just not good enough.

Had this been released after a patch fixing the music and such or if those problems weren't there in the first place there would be much more acclaim and positive reaction for this free release.

Omega

Omega said:

What has the Cave Story Remix Project to do with the WiiWare version of the game? I mean, it's not the soundtracks fault that there are these sound bugs in the WiiWare port. And as far as I understand, the 29 tracks from the CSRP are not composed and not even remixed by Nicalis. :$???