Super Mario Galaxy 2 Hits May 23

Posted by Corbie Dillard

Nintendo's newest Mario adventure is not far away!

Nintendo has just announced that Super Mario Galaxy 2 will be hitting North American store shelves on May 23. That gives Nintendo fans exactly 3 months to save up for what is sure to be one of the biggest releases of 2010 and a much-anticipated sequel for Wii owners.

So get that money saved, as this Summer could be a wallet-busting frenzy for Nintendo fans. In the meantime, we'll have up some brand new screenshots and video of the game later today for you to check out, so stay tuned!

Cipher

Cipher said:

MAY?! I need to rethink my purchases now, I was expecting this in August...!

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Wait, MAY? Dude... I got HeartGold/SoulSilver next month, Monster Hunter 3 in April, and now Super Mario Galaxy in MAY?!

...ROCK ON!!!

cpl1701

cpl1701 said:

Just preordered on Amazon. Now I am committed to get the money saved up to cover it before they bill me.

Adam

Adam said:

Huh, Mario and Metroid in summer. Maybe Zelda really is coming this year. I have to wonder what else could be the holiday release.

Ren

Ren said:

Yeah, that does bode well for Zelda at holidays. This is good news for sure, can't wait. Looks as good as the other and very similar. you know what they say: if it ain't broke...

BecomingTHE_MAN

BecomingTHE_MAN said:

Between No More Heroes 2 and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Red Steel 2, Monster Hunter 3, Shiren the Wanderer, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Metroid, this is turning into one awesome year for the Wii. This announcement will make the Wii-haters eat their words.

Boonehams

Boonehams said:

This is... too much... in one day... to process... with the announcements... Mario Galaxy 2... and Metroid... I can't contain--BLARF! [vomits from excitement]

RetroWarrior

RetroWarrior said:

I'm sure that the European release will be just a few days later. Great that Yoshi is in this game!

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Europe: TBA that would be right! Nintendo don't like announcing stuff for Europe, We're wait... Won't we, Yep.

Kevin

Kevin said:

May? That's way earlier than I expected. With Sin and Punishment 2 and Metroid so close to each other its gonna be an exciting couple of months!

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

This year is already incredible, and so much we still don't have concrete dates for.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

May? That's very soon! Hope we get it soon afterwards! Any news on an EU date?!

INSTA-BUY! (Already pre-ordered from last year btw!)

motang

motang said:

I have my copy reserved already, and also I read online the orchestra music is back!

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

Why is the release date so close to Lost Planet 2? WHY!? Stupid Nintendo and Capcom making me broke. That release date was seriously unexpected.

Donatello

Donatello said:

Holy crap! awesome news, Still need to play Tatsunoku Vs Capcom, Silent Hill, A Boy & his Blob, Muramasa, Dead Space Extraction, Wii Fit Plus, Pikmin ect....Sigh ;p

MM10 in only 8 days baby! time to celebrate.
Anyways, since SMG2 and Metroid Other M are being release earlier than expected that only means that Zelda Wii will hit before christmas.

Marmazing

Marmazing said:

It's a real shame my mom's birthday is the day BEFORE...otherwise I would so "give" this to her.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Also I better start playing Galaxy 1....

Please Nintendo announce the date for Europe.

Rerun

Rerun said:

2010 seems to be a great year. EXPENSIVE but GREAT! Now if only Amazon would give the $10 discount on pre-orders like it did for New Super Mario Bros Wii . . .

Donatello

Donatello said:

I'm so glad they got rid of Mario's Pointer controls for the traditional platforming parts of the game, because in the first it was in the way AND it made getting Starbits too easy, the same goes for killing enemies...

Anyways trailer looks amazing! hopefully the Koopa Kids are back, but i doubt it ;p

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh window breaks and screen moniter cracks OMGGGGGGG cant wait this is going to be one of the greatest gaming years ever

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Yay! ;) I love you, Nintendo! :*
Super Mario Galaxy 2, Hoo-Ray! :D :D :D
Geeze, I'm giddier than a school-girl right now :P

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

About time we get confirmation. Looks like I'll have to save up more money.

Because I want it on launch.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Didn't see it mentioned on the site here (I'm sure it's here somewhere) but in case anyone else missed it a whole slew of videos are up on the NIntendo Channel.

So, does this mean a price drop for SMG or will both games still be $50? Seems like a perfect time to launch Players Choice, especially with all of the Wii games that have sold over a million copies worldwide.

And my prediction for holiday shoppers - Wii Music 2 ;-)

Supermegaman

Supermegaman said:

I really hope they impliment lots of new things in this one. Yoshi is awesome, but maybe some cool new planet concepts? While there is nothing wrong with moer of the same (SMG was Amazing!) Im hoping for some new twists. Dont let me down nintendo!

Ben94

Ben94 said:

I'm so relieved! In the new trailer Yoshi's eyes don't look as creepily blue.