Wii U Reference Discovered In Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Website

Posted by Damien McFerran

Could we be getting a version after all?

When Activision announced Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, confirmation of a Wii U edition of the game was sadly lacking.

While this is the first entry in the series to get a genuine push on next-generation platforms, PS3 and Xbox 360 players will still be able to join the party, albeit with a version produced by a different team. Given the existence of "last gen" editions, one would have hoped that Nintendo owners would be getting some FPS love — but so far, Activision hasn't spoken of it.

However, by digging into the source code of the official Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare website, a reference to Wii U can be found:

Does this mean Nintendo's console will be getting its own version of the futuristic shooter? Maybe. Wii U being included in the site's code could be a throwback to a previous version of the site (it's possible that it was built on top of the code for older CoD sites), or it could be a placeholder that was inserted a while back just in case the Wii U version became solid reality.

Or it could mean what fans will want it to mean — Activision is working on a Wii U edition of the game and is keeping it under wraps for some reason.

This isn't the first time we've had our hopes built up, of course. Before E3, a listing on the official event website got everyone excited, but Activision made no confirmation of the game coming to Nintendo's system during the conference.

What are your feelings on this? Would you buy the latest CoD on the Wii U even if it did see the light of day? Share your feelings with a post below.

[via gonintendo.com]

outburst

outburst said:

I hope they will for CoD fans on the WiiU. But still the Wii U version is not available for pre order on Amazon Europe the last time I checked.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

I'm sorry to ask this,but who is really excited for the wiiu version of this game?Better yet who is going to buy it for the wiiu?

Mooj738

Mooj738 said:

Well I bought black ops 2 and then ghosts this time I have decided I won't buy the next one due to the lack of extinction updates and just how amazing that mode actually was and I never really experienced it :(

Laxeybobby

Laxeybobby said:

@Mooj738 I did the same and like you I won't be buying any future CoD titles on WiiU as I am fed up of the lack of support for DLC on these games when DLC is such a major part of what this game is.
The only thing that would change my mind would be advance confirmation that full DLC will be available. However I'm a realist and know this will never happen so my money will be staying in my pocket.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

@midnafanboy A lot people actually. CoD may not be the most innovative franchise, but (unless they love up royally cough Ghosts), the games are pretty good. If you like shooters like that ofc.
I'm actually not too big on FPS other that stuff like RAGE, Borderlands and very few others, but even I enjoy 1 or 2h of CoD from time to time. The campaigns are really fun most of the time ;)

I guess I'm one of the few Wii U owners who hopes that we're getting. BO2 got old ~6 months ago, Ghosts was so bad, that I sold it after a day and Devil's Third is still really far away. I don't really need a new shooter on Wii U, but I kinda want one for the times I feel like playing something different again :D
Watch the profanity — TBD

luvjungle

luvjungle said:

playing with wiimote+nunchuck is still better than with gamepad. i had a lot of fun playing BO2, it was like playing wii-era shooters, but with HD graphics

Mecha_Boo

Mecha_Boo said:

i dont really care, if i wanted to play cod, i'd just play the other one on wii u, no need to buy another version of the same game

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

Iwata has told the press specifically that they support Activision in bringing COD to their platform. I would assume that support is ongoing and that the series will be found once again on the Wii U

ungibbed

ungibbed said:

I had fun with the previous two CoD games on the Wii U. I'd pick it up if the campaign for single player is also solid.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

"it's possible that it was built on top of the code for older CoD sites"

Isn't that what they do with the actual game?

Inkling

Inkling said:

I might get it, it looks like an improvement over cough Ghosts cough

But it won't happen

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

If it can go on last gen consoles, it can go on Wii U. You don't need gamepad support, just give it pro controller support.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

Didn't Nintendo curse the last two CoDs by not letting Activision announce the game as early as the other versions? I remember the BO2 announcement being really late and Ghosts was rumoured to not exist on Wii U right up until release....

1wiierdguy

1wiierdguy said:

Activision can't even be bothered to confirm they're making it and then they will wonder why the Wii U audience isn't interested if it is finally confirmed at the last minute.

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

Activision doesn't bother to market their own game, laments poor sales.

Headlines of the future!

DakotaM47

DakotaM47 said:

I'll buy for cheap once I find Blops2 and Ghosts cheap. Having a hard time with that.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Hasn't this been rumored long before E3? Now isn't a good time to suddenly mention this. I feel the same way about Far Cry 4 and GTA 5 if it is going to be or was on last gen machines then the Wii U can handle it. But of course excluding a port is more of a opinion rather then an important business decision

gamr4life

gamr4life said:

Meh. I'd rather see the battlefield series and the upcoming star wars games come to Wii u rather than COD.

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

I'd probably buy a Wii U version. I'd just hope it's better than Black Ops II. Never played Ghosts. Activision needs to make better games if they wanna impress me.

gatorboi352

gatorboi352 said:

@midnafanboy I've personally bought every CoD on Wii and Wii U up to this point.

Comments (and thought processes) like yours are part of the problem, not the solution.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

I'm not interested in COD specifically, but I'd generally love a fun FPS for Wii U that takes advantage of all the unique Wii U stuff (remote aiming, gamepad vs. TV multiplay, gamepad map, etc). Wish something old-school shooter would come over along the lines of Doom, Quake or UT. Doesn't need to be "AAA" (god I hate that term), just something simple, fun and solid.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I hope this is true, so that FPS fans on the Wii U can get their fix. I'm definitely not one of them, however.

MrHuntinNoobs

MrHuntinNoobs said:

Everyone's talking about if we get DLC I'll buy it?!? My YouTube channel is based off of call of duty on the Nintendo Wii U/Wii. I've been playing call of duty on the Nintendo Wii since CallOfDuty4 Reflex. I don't care if we don't get DLC for the game. I just want the same patches and fixes, that they give to other platforms when they find something is overpowered or broken.

akaDv8R

akaDv8R said:

@Laxeybobby When the DLC failed to arrive for Black Ops 2 on the Wii U, I filed a law suite against Activision for false advertising on the back of the box. On that occasion, I won. They did the same with Ghosts, said it would have DLC. I sent them an e-mail saying I would take them to court again if DLC was not released. However, they were crafty, and just released the extra map that was available as a bonus if pre-ordered at one time, but then changed. I was informed that by doing this they had not broken any trading standards laws, so could do nothing. I WON`T be buying the next COD, but will most certainly be keeping an eye on Activision for the sake of the good people who shell out good money, and are then treated as third rate customers.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

@midnafanboy
I will, the only other system I have that plays it is PS3 and that controller sucks for FPS. As for the probably over 100 bucks in DLC I don't really care enough to invest in any of that.

IF they do release it I hope it does get released on the Eshop this time though.

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

Even these hints makes my nipples hard!

I have always considered Cods mediocre, but apparently they are still the best that Wii U will get on the FPS front, and I am CRAZY about Wiimote. And now. because of Wiimote, I am addicted to Cod. Out of all games.

The controls in Blops and Ghosts are fantstic, but I wish they would try the Conduit. It has another layer of kind of head tracking simulating fine tuning on top of the dead zone turning, and it would be really welcome addition.

Even more welcome addition would be gyro aiming option for the GamePad for making the local games a bit more fluent for Pad player too.

ALSO! Please make the leaning work by twisting the nunchuck.

I would love to see at least some DLC, but to me they are meaningless next to Wiimote support.

I cant stand this nerve wrecking wait, but Activision always seems to keep the Wii U version secret, until the games are in the shelves. Why they do this to us!? It shouldn't hinder anyone, if they just announced the Wii U version along with others.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

It would be good to see another game release, especially for anyone with only a Wii U; but unless it offers either a similar or unique experience it will suffer like the other two.

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

COD games can stay on the so-called "mainstream" consoles for all I care. I will be busy playing games that are actually original and fun.

Iggly

Iggly said:

If it does release on Wii U, please release all of the dlc since that's what stopped me from buying Black Ops 2. Don't get me wrong, the game is pretty fun I tried it on my cousin's PS3. But the Zombies mode was probably my favorite, so it sucked when I found out Wii U players won't be getting the dlc. If no dlc arrives, then I'll just be using that money on Splatoon since that seems like a better shooter.

Taceus

Taceus said:

I bought BO2 but skipped Ghosts. Might get this if my lousy local department store has Wii U copies this time, unlike when Ghosts released.

IxnayontheCK

IxnayontheCK said:

The BO2 online community was so small I could never play half the game modes that were offered! So I'm not bothered about this tho the wiiu needs all the games it can get atm...

Hero-of-WiiU

Hero-of-WiiU said:

I am more interested in a WW2 themed Call of Duty and it feels like those aren't coming any time soon. Really liked Cod3, and Black Ops I.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

Personally I don't understand the hate that surrounds COD. I freaking love the franchise. However I will not buy this new instalment on the Wii U. I got burned twice by both BO2 and Ghosts for not having DLC. Despite what people say, DLC is essential for the full COD experience. Especially the Zombie/Extinction mode.

Unless this new game will be getting DLC (which I seriously doubt), I will not be buying this game for the Wii U. Titanfall and Alliance of Valiant Arms on my PC is enough to keep my FPS itch scratched.

Yurikun

Yurikun said:

I have never played a Call if Duty game, thought about getting Ghosts but after talking about it with people who played it I decided against it and bought Ninja Giaden 3 and AC:IV. Although I do plan on getting splatoon. Now THATS a shooter worth playing. I just wish 3rd party developers would make a fun looking game and stop with all the dark and bloody hyper realistic stuff that fill the "AAA" space. I guess Ill stick with the Indie games.

SnappyJon

SnappyJon said:

I'll buy it for the Wii U.

As long as:
> It's released roughly at the same time as the other versions.
> It has at least the same game functionality as the PS3/XBox 360 versions.
> All of the DLC is made available for it.

So... I probably wont be buying it then.

Donutman

Donutman said:

COD is the "Mario of FPS". Easy, accessible for all, but plenty of depth. It dumb to not have it on Wii U. Might not sell as well, but its the 3rd parties own fault for that. Look at watch dogs etc... Should have come out on Wii U same day but Ubisoft is afraid of Mario kart. and that's what all 3rd parties are saying but giving half ass ports..they afraid going head to head againist Nintendo first party stuff. which is why they need another console to sell their games on.

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

Hope it does come for those that want it.personally, I shall be getting it on ps4/ xb1 due to the dlc and superior version that those two systems will no doubt be getting. I don't biy cod dlc and I never have done actually as far as I can recall but I like to have thr option to acquire it if I want it.also, after really enjoying blops2 I got ghosts on wii u and that just looked and felt horrendously bad for some reason which has left a bad taste in my mouth. Tbh, ill be too busy playing bayonetta 2, smash 3ds and sunset overdrive at the time anyway

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

@gatorboi352 How am i the problem? I just asked who is going to buy this version of the game. But if i said who is going to buy this game? This version will be crap no DLC and lag all over the place,buy a better game than this. Then you can tell me i'm the problem.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

@gatorboi352
Not sure if that's something I'd be admitting out loud..
Kevin Spacey, sure, but it's as creative as Madden, FIFA and Assassin's Creed.
New location, some new characters, slightly more convoluted storyline.
The only thing that really changes is they add another zero to the marketing budget.

Agent721

Agent721 said:

@midnafanboy
Me. Playing without a split screen, two player online, one using the gamepad & one using the TV, makes it the top version for me. I play with my fiancee. I only wish Titanfall was on the Wii U, offered in the same way!

vio

vio said:

Honestly, I care more about DLC than I do Advanced Warfare. And not even so much the standard multiplayer maps(though it sure would be nice to have them), but rather the Zombies and Extinction DLC. I love to play those modes online with friends, but have gotten burned out playing the same single map for each game over and over again. I look at videos of that awesome underground western ghost town Zombies map called Buried and I just get furious! They force us to buy Xbox's or Playstation's if we want the DLC and I'm sick of it.

Activision/Treyarch/Infinity Ward need to release ALL of the DLC packs for Black Ops 2 and Ghosts on the eShop immediately and sell them 50% off as a way of apologizing for screwing the Nintendo CoD community out of DLC for years now. We might be a small community, but we still exist and we are fed up with getting screwed over with DLC!

XenGamer

XenGamer said:

OF COURSE! I never bought a COD game before until they were in the WiiU and I even bought them brand new when I usually buy preowned. It's crap they think it's not worth developing for. The vita sucks and it's not being dropped by people. You write code different for every system so the Wii U should be easier to write for being a more tried and true technology. Their excuses are totally bogus.

Mewtwo21

Mewtwo21 said:

im not really worried if this game will come, cause i know it will. I'll probably get this just as long as it is not as bad as CoD ghost

SageWaterDragon

SageWaterDragon said:

I have extremely mixed feelings on this one. Considering Advanced Warfare will be the first truly new-generation Call of Duty, it is looking to take advantage of the hardware at every step along the way. I imagine that the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions will be similar to the DS versions of CoD - handicapped, not altogether terrible, but far worse than the main releases. Depending on which iteration we get, we can safely know how much power a company like Activision could get of our little engine that could. And, honestly, I'd rather have no AW than a gimped one - this game is looking to finally bring me back into the CoD fold.