Movie-based Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Game Coming to 3DS

Posted by Tim Latshaw

Heroes in a clamshell, 3D power!

In case you were worried, there is going to be a licensed game coming out from the upcoming Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. The inevitability of this was as plain as the mildly bulbous, nostril-ized areas on the heroes' faces.

Announced by Activision, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the 3DS will take the form of a third-person action game that will let players switch between the four turtles at any time. Each turtle possesses his own set of stats and skills, with Raphael, as a given example, centering on strength and Michelangelo focusing more on speed. Classic foes will show up as fodder to face off against, including the Foot Clan and Baxter Stockman's scientific abominations.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is developed by Magic Pockets, the Paris-based house who also made the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game based on the Nickelodeon cartoon reboot (although they have the same name, their covers should not be easy to confuse). The new title is expected to emerge in early August, around the 8th August release of the movie.

Check out the gallery of current screenshots and let us know if you see some sewer surfing in your future.

NoUsernameHere

NoUsernameHere said:

If it were based off the Nick show, I'd buy it, unfortunately it's based off the movie, so I won't be getting this. Idk, maybe if it gets good review scores.

Beta

Beta said:

Those turtles in the boxart.... They're a lie! A big freaking lying lie! ;_; Wth did I just see? Those are not the turtles I know and love! Those are an abomination that married a toilet! Please, someone, just give me an 'Unsee' button D'''X /is having a mental breakdown

kingston589

kingston589 said:

Its not turtles in time or hyperstone heist so its a no buy even though im a huge tmnt fan

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Oh great another button masher it was fun in arcades but not in modern times I wish there was something different they could do with this license. We just got two games last year with the same concept didn't we? I don't know why we would buy this again. I'm not that interested in the movie either as it's way too dark and violent for this franchise. Plus Michael Bay had a large input

Mega719

Mega719 said:

I learned my lesson with Activision's licensed titles so if this and the Korra games aren't good they they aren't getting my money again. Although the console Korra game is made by Platinum Games so hope may not be lost

Sir_JBizzle

Sir_JBizzle said:

@vamkar

I'd rather Konami release TMNT IV at the Nintendo eShop instead of that movie adaptation anytime.

This all day!... I also wouldn't mind the original arcade game ported over and since I'm in a greedy mood this evening, perhaps Hyperstone and Tournament Fighters? :-D

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@Mega719

To make things even 10x worse it's a 3D brawler button master. one of the worst genre's around imo. And i agree 2D brawlers were great fun back in the day, but i find most of them to be a total repetitive bore these days.

tom_q

tom_q said:

They will never make a better TMNT game better than Turtles in Time so they should just put that on vc.

Austroid

Austroid said:

I'll keep an eye on this. The movie looks fun and there hasn't been a decent TMNT game on the 3DS yet.

Pete41608

Pete41608 said:

Great! Another Acti TMNT cash grab.

Can we get a truly great TMNT game please?

SNES Turtles in Time HD update would be awesome!

SMW

SMW said:

WOAH. Woah. Woah. THOSE are the turtles of that new movie?! I wasn't aware that this was going to be a horror movie... Seriously, I'm practically 30 and those turtles are scary enough to give ME nightmares!

The recent cartoon had some weird design choices, but they grew on me fairly quick. I can't imagine ever liking THIS design, though.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@Mega719 never read the comics then? I'm also assuming it won't be any darker than the first movie and that it's humour won't be any better than the Transformers movies.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

So not seeing the movie or buying the game. Michael Bay has ruined my childhood. They just look so ugly.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

@MadAdam81 I know about the comics,I was going to include that but assumed everyone would know I'm talking about the main representation

Drobotic

Drobotic said:

@Pokefanmum82
They look more like turtles and they're supposed to be mutants,so it doesn't really matter if they look weird.Remember,this is just another version of TMNT and they have done this time and time again.The film isn't even out yet.

Grimlock_King

Grimlock_King said:

Can we just get the tmnt turtles in time from snes on virtual console already? These new turtle games are a waste of everything.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is developed by Magic Pockets, the Paris-based house who also made the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game based on the Nickelodeon cartoon reboot"

Welp, there's yet another Turtles game that is going to be a broken ugly mess. Too bad Konami doesn't have the license anymore since they were the only ones in history to make ANY fun TMNT video games, namely TMNT Arcade,Turtles in Time, and arguably Battle Nexus and Mutant Nightmare for PS2/Xbox/GCN. That's it.

Action51

Action51 said:

Like Batman and Godzilla, TMNT is one of the few film/tv/comic franchises that's actually had some video game success and half decent titles over the years.

That being said, it's also had it's share of quick cash-in turds.

It really amazes me after all these years on Planet Earth playing video games across multiple platforms over multiple generations how some video game tie-ins that seem like complete no-brainers end up being so bad!

Superheroes, mutants, robots...movies and tv shows with these things should be awesome, but 9/10 times they are garbage.

Here is hoping we get another "Turtles in Time" or "TMNT Tournament Fighter" and not another garbage cash in.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

No eShop. No purchase.

Come on Activision!!!! What the hell are you plating at??? That's CoD black ops&ghosts/teenage mutant ninja turtles/angry birds star wars that I would have purchased across 3DS and Wii U by now, but you appear to no want my money?

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

It baffles me that people are still expecting it to be good. How often does it happen, that a movie tie in game comes out decent ?
98% of these games are quick cash in rush jobs, suffering from short development times and restricted creative freedom.
So yeah, not on my whishlist anytime soon.

Kirk

Kirk said:

Looks like it will probably be your typical slightly sh*tty movie tie-in.

I could be wrong but we'll see I guess...

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

I'm sure it will be terrible. Those lips, man... my god, what were they thinking with those lips?

Stu13

Stu13 said:

I had high hopes for the last TMNT game because I really enjoy the cartoon. Those hopes were summarily dashed, so I'm not even bothering this time.

Ren

Ren said:

"were making a game about 4 brother heroes that run around and fight bad guys together... A one player game will be great, no need for multiplayer.." how does this keep happening to TMNT games? Who are the idiots that think that?

Link506

Link506 said:

@Mega719 agreed. But I think I think I can see their reasons. First they probably did it because, admit it, there's more 3DS gamers than there are Wii U OWNERS. 2nd, because people would likely buy the cheaper 3ds vertion than the HD, pricey Wii U version.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

No thanks. We have the first TMNT game on 3DS based off the cartoon and it's a lot of fun. I will be passing on this. I'll watch the movie to see... but I don't have much faith in it. And yes, I AM a fan of change.

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

No thanks to the movie, and no thanks to the game either. We all know both will be an abomination.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Games based on movie tie-ins and have "Activision" attached to it usually provide the perfect recipe for disaster!

Mega719

Mega719 said:

@Link506 Yeah Rise of the Dark Spark received terrible reviews on Wii U but the 3DS version (as expected for a different game) did better

Beau_Skunk

Beau_Skunk said:

Huh, surprising to see Slash in it, (and other "classic" TMNT characters) makes me wonder if they'll be in the movie now, but hopefully this game is decent. The ability to switch turtles on the fly sounds nice, and something we haven't seen sense the NES game.

Would rather have the old Konami games on 3DS though personally...

tj3dsXL

tj3dsXL said:

Not as crisp and clean as the Nicks TMNT 3DS game which is sweet (voice acting too !)esp. in 3D on the 3dsxL. Its;s got the whole "squish krang flat against your screen" effects kinda like in K's Triple Deluxe. I havent played Nick's TMNT 3DS through yet so i will def. be saving it for the summer instead of this "ify" title !