CoroCoro Magazine Reveals Mega Metagross for Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

It's all rather mega and meta

With the summer ahead and a solid four months still remaining before launch, we can expect the hype around Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire on 3DS to ramp up in the coming weeks. We've recently seen a few more details creep out, and a new Mega evolution has now emerged from the latest scans of CoroCoro magazine.

You can see the Mega Metagross reveal below:

Here's a brief summary from our friends over at Serebii, outlining key details.

It revealed Mega Metagross, which will be used by Steven. Steven Mega Evolves Metagross using the Mega Brooch, and the scan references the fact that there are different Pokémon in Hoenn than before.

Are you excited about this addition, and the tease of "different Pokémon" in the Hoenn region? Let us know.

Update:

Below is a second, admittedly fuzzy scan, once again courtesy of Serebii.

Thanks to Luigifan141 for the tip.

[via serebii.net]

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

Looking at the side of the scan. I'm calling it now we are Mega Metagross Omega and Mega Metagross Alpha.

eaglebob345

eaglebob345 said:

A spike and more arms? IDC what it looks like, though. Having Mega shinies is awesome!!

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

This was rather obvious. Metagross is Steven's signature Poké, and he is a pretty important character, so this was only a matter of time...

Jahir

Jahir said:

Nooo! Metagross doesn't need a mega evolution, it's strong enough already. Well, I guess we all will see Mega Metagross + Talonflame + Azumarril teams.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

It's looks alright but really, there should be more underpowered Pokémon getting Megas, not the already powerful ones.

rjejr

rjejr said:

My kids never played the originals, so these were day 1 anyway, but it sure does look like these are shaping up to be a lot more than just ports. Im not sure if the phrase double dip even applies with everything that they've done. 2D to 3D graphics, online, megas, they're almost new games.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

@rjejr the remakes were never "just ports". Those are ALWAYS worth the purchase, simply because there's so much new stuff added ^^

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

I like the design. I wonder if we'll get Mega Salamence. It would be scary, but I still would like to see it.

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

Heh heh heh, just when it looked like Metagross was falling in power, he gets a MEGA EVOLUTION! Sorry Mega-Aggron but there's only room for one mega metal on my team, and I've got to go with one of my favorite Pokemon.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

I don't really like it, not the design but the fact that it got a mega at all. He's already one of the more powerful pokemon and now it's getting a mega? Come on. There's maybe 2 eevees that are even usable, lots of gen 1 pokemon are unusable, and many of the ones that even are require weather teams. It helps you can only have one mega on a team but ugh.

I actually kind of wish they'd stop the focus on megas and do more work balancing weaker pokemon. Just adding some proper movesets would instantly bring a lot of weaker pokemon off the bench, and playing with base stats or abilities would really help things.

Octane

Octane said:

@Yorumi Or remove some moves, they only add more and more. I don't foresee how that's going to be good thing in the future. I don't think Mega Pokémon are the problem, it's just that they're too overpowered. If Mega Pokémon raised the stats by 50 instead of 100, they would be a lot more interesting. Then there's actually a choice of equiping a Mega stone, or a regular item. Now, the Mega stone is always the best choice.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Octane removing useless moves wouldn't hurt anything but having multiple viable movesets on pokemon would make the competitive scene better. There's nothing more scary that facing a pokemon with many viable and common sets so you have little idea what it's packing.

It also leads to more variety in the game as pokemon become capable of fitting in and synergizing with more and more teams. Right now when you pick your first maybe 2 pokemon you're really quickly pigeonholed into a fairly limited selection for the rest of the team. If on the other hand you had a lot of highly adaptable pokemon with diverse movesets you'd potentially still have difficult choices to make right down to your 6th pokemon.

I think the competitive scene would be a heck of a lot more interesting if all however many hundred fully evolved pokemon, and some with eviolite, were all viable on competitive teams. Right now you only realistically face about 40 pokemon out of over 700.

AzureFashionist

AzureFashionist said:

The XY metagame wasn't kind to Pokes like Metagross and Bronzong at all so unless this brings something amazing to the table, Metagross will continue to fade away into obscurity.

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

@Octane Yep. I'm hearing it has Tough Claws. So, I'm assuming it's claws change when it attacks to reflect this. Thus the difference in claws. Thus my first comment.

Octane

Octane said:

@Yorumi Oh I agree, diverse movesets are a must. But I think that limiting some moves can make some under-used Pokémon more viable. Pokémon like Seaking don't have the best stats, which isn't a problem as long as the Pokémon has a unique moveset, good ability, or just a good combination of moves in general. There are plenty of Pokémon however that can do the same thing as (for example) a Seaking does, thus making Seaking somewhat a useless Pokémon. I think by having more unique combinations of moves on certain Pokémon, it is possible to diversify the competitive battles a lot.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Octane i wasn't considering that but it's absolutely right. I've encountered that problem often when team building. "I like A but B does everything he does and does it so much better, guess I've got to use B." But yeah ultimately the goal needs to be better balance, I'd love to see several hundred viable pokemon instead of 40.

BLPs

BLPs said:

Ignoring the competitive drivel here:

Why are strong Pokémon getting stronger? We saw the popularity boost Pinsir and Heracross, not to mention Mawile got, so why aren't lesser know or used Pokémon getting this treatment?

Oh that's right. Game Freak don't know what they are doing. First the remove the best things from Gen 5, then they retract the "Every release from now will be simultaneous".

Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike said:

Meh, once we found out there's going to be new Megas, we all knew Mega Metagross was happening. Because God forbid the Champion doesn't have his signature Pokemon megafied.

I'm more interested in the mention of new Pokemon in Hoenn, if that means an expanded Hoenn Dex, this is probably the biggest news about ORAS yet, and one I've been waiting to hear. The original Hoenn Dex wasn't bad per se, but it could definitely use some improvements.

Stomatopod17

Stomatopod17 said:

Honestly I don't see a problem with this like everybody else is complaining about.

Metagross was always slow unless it used a weak priority choice banded bullet punch. Or managed to get that attack boost from meteor mash.. not to mention being weak to ground, fire, nuetral to fighting, nuetral to bug, and now steel is nerfed so he gains 2x to ghost and dark as well.. can't touch aegislash!

Now that he gets a mega evolution it depends on his stat spread.. he looks like he'll be faster and get higher attack and drop in his defenses.. either way there is always one question to ask.. "What can this thing do in comparison to leftovers, choice band, or life orb while taking up a mega slot?"

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

Metagross lost his viability over time thanks to Team Preview in Gen 5 (ruining his effectiveness as a lead), and then the Steel type nerf and rise of priority moves from Pokemon that OHKO or 2HKO Metagross.

He absolutely deserved a Mega Evolution. Mega Milotic is gonna happen too most likely.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

@BLPs Im going to bet that metagross is going to be overpowered and get ready for people online to be using him all the time. God i actually hope they give mega's to pokemon who actually need a boost like sandslash. People don't use him online cause he is not that good.

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

Ooooh, now I can't wait to see what my shiny metagross will look like when mega-evolved!

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

I really hope they give mega's to pokemon who need it the most not cause of their popularity. Cause this choice was based on popularity nothing more, im going to wait for a sandslash mega evolution cause he needs it,he looks cool.But competitively he is useless, same thing with mightyena looks cool but he sucks. And come on give cacturne a mega evolution with a new ability called scarecrow that makes him immune to flying type moves, which would be awesome.

Wanderer

Wanderer said:

Tropius should get a Mega Evolution. Just because. Also, it's a gen 3 Pokemon.

Nibelilt

Nibelilt said:

I am so glad that his Mega won't be Mega Charizard X like some soeculated from the last scan. CharX has enough publicity, and doesn't even fit with Steven. I'm also really glad that we're getting a Mega Metagross instead of just having him Megavolve Aggron or something. :)

It's one of those Megas that doesn't look that different and while I certainly don't think it's one of the best-looking Megas, I think it looks nice.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@midnafanboy sometimes I think they just throw darts at a board. Flareon has been useless forever, glaceon is basically an inferior vaporeon, leafeon has like one attack, umbreon has defensive stats but nothing really to make use of them with, and jolteon is only barely useful because of his speed, but again he has like one attack. Can you tell I like eevees?

Beyond those I'd love to be able to use sandslash, flygon, aggron, armaldo, ninetales, articuno, moltres, dewgong, you get the idea. Just so sad they have tons of creative pokemon that never see use cause they just decided to make them worthless and never give them any sort of attention or anything.

vamkar

vamkar said:

Oh dear, Steven impossible champion confirmed…
First Sableye and now Metagross? This remakes are treating my favorite 3rd gen mons pretty well.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

@Yorumi Well eevees aren't their priority right now unfortunately.But i think they might give mega's to sandslash, catcurne, cradily,and many more.Cause in gen 6 they gave mega evolutions to almost all of the popular gen 3 pokemon.Like gardevoir, manectric, medicham and aggron. Now they just need the underdogs that need it or they can be stupid and make mega's for the regies.Who knows but im keeping my fingers cross in the meantime.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@midnafanboy well ultimately I'd rather they stop doing more megas and work on actually fixing the ones that arn't viable. Since it's one mega per team it's more a band-aid than a real fix. Instead of a mega I'd rather just seem sandslash made viable. New moves, change it's ability, or it's stats, or heck just give it another regular evolution. For that matter they could make a new held item that can boost stats when they're below some level.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

As far as I'm concerned more Steel Pokemon being used is bad because I have a Mega Gardevoir.

Unless Mega Gardevoir gets Quiver Dance than everything is A-Okay.

Naoiko

Naoiko said:

Thanks for the update! =D I wonder what other new mega pokemon will be added for the upcoming remakes? It's pretty exciting!

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

@Yorumi Make sandslash great with better stats? I second that and they are not going to stop making mega's, im guessing their going to make mega evolutions for all the competitive pokemon of gen 3. Or if they have sense help out pokemon who look cool but are pathetic with better stats an stuff.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

OMG MEGAMETAGRo...

Actually that's really lame looking. Was hoping for something cooler. :( Oh well, guess it's the stats/type/ability/move set that really matters, but I always thought Metagross was one of the coolest-looking Pokemon around...

Klinny

Klinny said:

I'm happy because I love Metagross, but sad because I don't really like the Mega Evolution design. Ah well XD

ShanaUnite

ShanaUnite said:

Do we actually need all these mega evolutions? In the future every pokemon will have a mega evolution -_-

Stomatopod17

Stomatopod17 said:

Mega lati@s, Mega sceptile, Mega Swampert, Mega Sableye, Mega diancie, and now Mega metagross.. I think milotic and metagross are the most asked for megas by the public. We got metagross, and I think just to please the public (which gamefreak failed to do in gen 6 so far..) they are going to make mega milotic. Alot of people also think mega camperupt and sharpedo are confirmed by the key stones seen on whats their faces.

I'm still hoping they don't do something trolly and give megas to pokemon by popularity again.. Pokemon like cradily, armaldo, flygon, and as much as I could care less tropius, really need a buff.

Crimzonlogic

Crimzonlogic said:

I'm not crazy about the design...But I'm expecting this thing to be a pain to battle against. It'll make for a good opponent. ;)

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@Yorumi There's a problem with giving a Pokemon too many moves as well. You do that and that Pokemon becomes rather difficult to counter.

A lot of the more powerful Pokemon have smaller movepools to deal with the fact that they'd be "too" powerful if their movepools were any larger (there are exceptions especially with legendaries).

Many weaker Pokemon have pretty big move pools but very poor stats. In order to balance out some of the weaker Pokemon they'd have to carefully make changes in stats AND movesets. Frankly it's doubtful that GameFreak has that kind of manpower, otherwise we'd have seen a lot more balance changes by now.

Eh I'm not really a fan of the design...it seems like they just swapped his four legs for four arms instead.

Klobb

Klobb said:

Metagross definitely deserved this mega evolution! He has fallen from grace recently and I am looking forward to seeing what he can do.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Hopefully the "different" Pokémon come from Johto and Kanto. Yeah, I know I've said a million times I hated the GBA reboot now, but it's still an open wound. Hopefully the new Hoenn will make the older generations some justice (with some Sinnoh Pokémon thrown in the mix, that would help a lot.

thehoppypoppy

thehoppypoppy said:

Mega Metagross...meh.

What I really want is a Mega Wigglytuff...and maybe a Mega Dragonite, then I would be content.

^-^

BLPs

BLPs said:

@Interneto

Seasons, a decent story, a good range of Pokémon with little reliance on older ones, a very streamlined, HM reduced adventure (Which didn't need specific badges), good OST, a difficulty selection and an online interface that you can turn off when loading the game and don't hear from again UNLIKE the PSS which never shuts up!!!

Theober555

Theober555 said:

One thing I hated about Megas in X and Y was how very few NPC's used them in battle. Game Freak spent hyped it up so much and outside of your own team they had very little in game presence. I want to battle harder opponents with Megas on their team!

gamerphil07

gamerphil07 said:

I was hoping for him to get a mega! And Sableye, actually. Who knows, maybe I'll get my mega Zangoose as well!

ZombieAssassin

ZombieAssassin said:

I hope Eevee receives a mega. Before people jump on me for this hear me out. For the people that want to keep eevee as eevee this would be cool.