3DS System Update 8.1.0-18 is Now Live

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Sweet, sweet stability

It's another glorious day, system update fans, as the 3DS (and 2DS) has another download waiting; this is after a bit of eShop and Nintendo Network maintenance in recent days. We're not sure the change will blow any minds, but it sure is stable.

Those of you that are system update fanatics know what's coming, but below is the official changelog for version 8.1.0-18.

Improved system stability and usability:

• Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

We love this stability, we really do, and the search begins for those 'minor adjustments'. It continues the mystery following the last update — 8.0.0-18 — which saw the portable jump to version 8 with no actual fanfare. This latest change is clearly a minor iteration on that, yet will still leave inevitable speculation over what major features — if any — are coming in the near future; if nothing important's on the way, why wouldn't Nintendo have just kept moving up the version 7 range?

We'll see in good time, but for now we can all enjoy and bask in that glorious system stability.

Thanks to Ryan Millar for the heads up.

Yamitora1

Yamitora1 said:

after the last update I started having my digital games crash which never happened before the update.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

@Yamitora1 Strange. No issues here since the last update. Although my WiiU would sometimes do that after updates as well. Hope it stops crashing for you.

kdognumba1

kdognumba1 said:

I have a feeling there's a major reveal that they're prepping for. I can't wait to see what it is.

iphys

iphys said:

I think it has been several updates now since my last 3DS freeze. The stability must be near-perfect by now.

CaviarMeths

CaviarMeths said:

I usually interpret these "stability" updates as "someone found an exploit, so we changed a line of code." Good news, I guess. The life of a programmer is thankless. :P

DonSerrot

DonSerrot said:

My guess is they have people internally working to crack it, and when they do they patch it. If someone on the inside can crack it someone on the outside could figure it out.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

The last Wii U update wasn't too great since it took quite a while to install and i couldn't cancel it.
I guess i've got to pay more attention to these articles you thankfully provide so that next time i reckon in some more time beforehand.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Must make highly origfinal stability joke.

The Japanese Pokemon Global Link site is saying that communication errors were hreported to be happening in battles and they are hopeful this update fixes those. Anecdotally, some people were saying they were getting a lot more communication errors as of late when wonder trading etc...

Elsewhere on the web I can find "CVer and the HTTP system-module were updated. Both of these titles still use the original NCCH encryption.". Gobbledegook to me but maybe that is related (I would imagine battle communicate via the HTTP module so if the encryption messes up that would lead to errors).

ZenTurtle

ZenTurtle said:

Maybe it's because they're going to remove the home button for version 8 of their OS ;)

Sionyn

Sionyn said:

nope the encryption referers to nintendo counter measure against gateway whos 4.5 firmware is not compatible with new encryption with in 7.0. encryption has nothing to do with the way the http service applet works, its just stored on 3ds internal flash encrypted thats all.

this is likely a counter measure against a homebrew developer who has a new working exploit that is keen to release it. so far nintendo hasn't found the exploit he is using.

how showed off his workable exploit using http loader applet so it seem nintendo recent move was to try and counter it (they could of also found a another serious bug that lead to privilege escalation ). The strange thing is his POC code only ran in usermode, when i would of thought he kernel level access to bypass all verification junk.

johndevine

johndevine said:

Last update screwed my 3DS. Had to go to Nintendo for fixing. They charged me. I guess they thought I was trying to do modifications or something.

Once they got the unit and realised I had done nothing they refunded me for my payment.

Still waiting on it's return though.... it's been 3 weeks!!!!

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Even if all Nintendo is doing is something to keep R4 cards from being viable on the 3DS, I'm fine with the occasional tiny update. It if did anything substantial they would have told us.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Is there anything special in an update we should be expecting? Its a game console, it plays games, it also has Miiverse now, and the usual cast of characters Netflix and Hulu Plus. And folders which the Wii U still needs. I doubt we'll ever see HBO Go on the very kid friendly 2DS. Sony owns Crackle so thats probsbly out as well. It neefs a portal for amiibo so that update probably wont come until sometime next year, if ever, when the portal releases. Maybe Nintendo should just skip amiibo on 3DS and put an NFC reader in the 4DU as upgrade motivation?

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

@rjejr

The Wii U really does need folders. If I remember correctly, the folders on the 3DS came after it was out for about a year.

Cosats

Cosats said:

Since all icons can change position why don't you arrange the icons in a way that the 1st page is only Wii U games, the 2nd page downloads and so on. What's the point of asking for folders when wii U already has a much better way of organizing your icons?

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

@Cosats I am already three screens deep on my titles on the Wii U menu. That is only after a year of ownership. With 465 GB left on the my portable drive and years more of Wii U software, I will run out of spaces long before I fill up my HDD.

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

@Cosats

Sure you could do that. On the 3DS you can also move almost anything as well, yet it has the ability to add folders. I would like the option to stay a little more organized. Then I can turn on the Wii U and everything is on the first page just within folders, and you can do what works for you by keeping everything on set pages. See everyone wins. :)

Findonovan95

Findonovan95 said:

Oh man; gotta love that stability. I prefer stability over new and exciting features(sarcasm).

Don't get me wrong; I do coding so I know how important stability is, I just want to see some cool new stuff added. :(

Sionyn

Sionyn said:

@johndevine that sucks that should always be nintendo responsibility to fix machines damaged from updates. Its not hard to implement disaster recovery option for when things go sour every product i build i allways design in disaster recovery solution.

Flashing firmware is risky its a no brainer to add disaster recovery that even a enduser can use

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I got Siesta Fiesta yesterday and I was not asked for an update. So if it came today I will take my time to get it.

Stu13

Stu13 said:

Literally a 2 second download. Just a tiny bit of stability this time, guys.

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

I'm hoping for the day one of these updates makes the 3DS browser magically better.

Like faster and not give messages like the webpage is too big, reload the webpage. lol.

Also another update for the YouTube app that makes it so it ain't so terrible.

I can dream, can't I?

Naoiko

Naoiko said:

@Shotgunryugan That's a dream I've had for a while too. Maybe one day. Probly not, but maybe =)

Also, thanks for the heads up. Installed it this morning thumbs up.

sevex

sevex said:

I wonder why they don't just save these stability updates for a patch that actually adds noticeable improvements.

Nashew

Nashew said:

I've never noticed anything unstable about my 2DS. Why do they keep doing this?

ProudasaPeacock

ProudasaPeacock said:

I wonder if Nintendo will ever run out of stability to cram into these things.
They seem to have an endless supply.

Mus1cLov3r

Mus1cLov3r said:

I don't really give a flying fadoodle about extra stability(I never notice a difference), but I've updated it.

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

...another update??? -__- I just updated the system 2 weeks ago and now there is another one? -__- It's becoming like the PS3... "It's an update of an update to update what it just updated..." x_x

GN004Nadleeh

GN004Nadleeh said:

why wont they remove the 10 minute limit on videos? tired of watching king of the hill in the tub and having to switch twice to finish an episode

JudgeMethos

JudgeMethos said:

I haven't noticed any difference except enjoying the hell outta Blaster Master all over again 😃