Awesome New Hyrule Warriors Trailers Show Link Rocking the Fire Rod and Some Serious Swordplay

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

No mercy

It may turn out to be slightly mindless button mashing action, but Hyrule Warriors will be mindless button mashing action in The Legend of Zelda's world; we suspect that fact alone will be enough to excite plenty of players.

It arrives in September on Wii U, of course, and with that release — along with an earlier arrival in Japan — getting closer we're likely to see a lot more information in the coming weeks and months; Eiji Aonuma assures us more playable characters are on the way, for example. Even with existing details, however, Tecmo Koei can still deliver the goods in creating some hype. Take Link's Fire Rod, for example, shown off by Nintendo's Treehouse team during E3, it now has a new trailer that demonstrates its various moves and ability to distribute tough flame-based justice on evil's minions; we figured an over-the-top description would match the footage.

A new trailer has just been uploaded which you can watch below, while you can also check out another from the weekend that shows Link's standard moves in action.

So, are you hyped for this?

[via gamecity.ne.jp]

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Some Hylians just want to watch the world burn...

...while other Hylians prefer to cut grass. It's all good.

Savino

Savino said:

I could care less about this game, but the treasure box I want!!!

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

"mindless button mashing"...smh, Tom :p

Anyway..I really like what they're doing with this and I can't wait til release. It's pretty much my most anticipated game for 2014 atm. Well..after Shovel Knight ofc.

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

Madness? THIS…IS…HYRULE!!! (Link uses the Fire rod…slow motion disintegration of all the enemies on the battlefield)

Damn awesome trailers…they lower my patience for the games release each time. Between this Bayonetta 1 & 2, SSB and Capt Toad im going to be living in a video game bubble until the end of this year

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

I think I've been using the Fire Rod wrong all this time...

Also, gimme that clock and treasure chest! They look so awesome!

Volmun

Volmun said:

Can.... not.... wate... o_o I realy hope we (UK) get the CE ... Id like the Scarf!

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

This game looks better and better at every new video we see... Is it possible to erase July and August and get directly to September, please? ^o^;

Iggly

Iggly said:

I'm more hyped up for Hyrule Warriors than I am for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire imo.

rjejr

rjejr said:

It's not just mindless button mashing, it's 2 player 2 screen couch co-op mindless button mashing. BIG difference.

Oh, and that flame staff, awesome.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

Looks awesome! Don't know if anyone at NL can read Japanese, but at the end it says there are two special editions. One comes with the game, a triforce clock and some DLC codes for extra costumes. The other special edition comes with all that plus an actual scarf (the same that Link is wearing) and a treasure box with sound!
omfg I NEED THOSE THINGS. Hope they're released outside of Japan!

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

Also, what's with shooting this game down by calling it "mindless button mashing?" It'll only be like that if you play in easy mode. The hard mode is much more difficult, plus it is a strategy game. The objective isn't to kill 4000 troops And you're done. Every map has different layouts, different things to do to progress- and that's just typical Dynasty Warriors. Let's see what this game is like after release before you deter some fence-sitters with negativity.

Porky

Porky said:

This game seems like it has not much challenge. . Your character is overpowered while the many enemies such as the red armoured dudes just charge foward (or run away or stand there) with an uninspiring lunge attack. Mehhh.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

@Porky change the games difficulty and watch your frustration levels rise as goblins kick your a**. That's how these games work. Normal and easy difficulty are not very challenging, but hard mode has a big difficulty spike.

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

They should have got team ninja, platinum or capcom to do this sort of game.the combat could have had some depth then and would have been a better game at least. Still, the dw series sells well in japan and that's what nintendo need so hope it does well sales wise even if it is only in japan.

Sir_Anthony

Sir_Anthony said:

I love the Zelda franchise. But this just looks like a really bad Zelda entry to me. The environments are empty and boring. Enemies stand around doing nothing. They took some Zelda ost and pretty much ruined it. The only thing I like is Midna ( Probably because that's the only character they did not change ) This does not look like my kinda game.

If it receives a really good review (9/10?) Maybe I'll reconsider

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

The more I see, the more I want. I can already think of the cheesy battle puns I'll use defeating the enemies.

Now the big 2 questions is who's the other characters in the game and would the west see that nice treat at the end?

cfgk24

cfgk24 said:

@DiscoGentleman Yes! I loved samurai warriors on my 3ds and also Spartan Total Warrior on the GameCube. Gameplay not easy as you had so many criteria to achieve and strategy and fighting skills were paramount. But yes! play it on difficult mode!

Kirk

Kirk said:

Well I'm not that interested in this game but these trailers do a pretty good job at making it look half decent.

I'm thinking having the Zelda characters and setting might actually help this do half decent numbers and that's even outside of Japan too. Nothing that's going to move more Wii U systems or anything like that but still decent for this particular franchise I expect.

PS. The lack of a GUI/HUD really helps here but as per usual that's just in the trailers, even though the Wii U GamePad gives developers the perfect excuse for moving all the crap off the main screen. It's like most of the developers out there, certainly a lot of the Japanese ones, don't actually get some of the most basic stuff that the GamePad can be used for imo. Also, there's some pretty bad pop-in/fade-in in the actual game which isn't evident in these trailers and that's pretty bad considering it's just a bunch of little arenas for the most part, that I can see. So basically; these trailers really do show this game in it's best possible light, which isn't exactly a perfect reflection of the final /actual experience:

Cia

Cia said:

It may be a fun game, but it ain't gonna shine in reviews. The last Dynasty Warriors got like 68/100 in Metacritic, and this is made by the same guys as far as i know...
p.s. I'm gonna buy it neverthless though.

justinluey

justinluey said:

I've never played a Warriors game and I don't really like 'hack and slash' games, but the addition of Zelda piqued my interest. Now that I've read the recent interviews and seen the gameplay, I'm sold.

I think it's a no lose situation for hardcore Zelda fans. If the game is mediocre, it will be worth the price just to spend a few hours playing with these beloved characters and having another Zelda game to add to the shelf.

If the game is great, and has the added depth that the developers are promising, than it's a really nice bonus.

mudmask

mudmask said:

I've been thinking of this game as more of the Smash Brothers of the Zelda universe. Is that a fair assessment? Sort of Hyrule's All Stars?

Pretty pumped... both of those trailers looked much more polished.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Nice. I think I'll have to finish off the first play through of Warriors Orochi I've been putting off for months!

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

It's no more about button mashing than Smash Bros or CoD, it does require skill to beat the harder levels.and when you play on highest difficulty.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@Porky You have your basic soldier who isn't very tough and have strength in numbers, then you have a bunch of bosses who are tougher one on one. On easy, it can be quite relaxing, and on hard, it's a real challenge and you have to work really hard on playing each character right.

ACK

ACK said:

Agitha playable in Hyrule Warriors. Are you bugging out like me?

And Zant is in, as well. Let's hope he keeps his (creepy) mask on this time...

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

@Kirk I imagine it might move a few Wii Us in Japan. Not gonna do anything elsewhere though. Still provides some nice variety though!

outburst

outburst said:

I'm not hyped on this game. It will be repetitive and will become boring pretty quick judging by the gameplay. I bet this won't get an average rating higher than 7 across known gaming sites. Although multiplayer could save this game.

Diddy_kong

Diddy_kong said:

I can't wait for this game. Mindless action and combat set in the Zelda universe without the hint of a puzzle sounds just fine to me.

World

World said:

I honestly just keep watching these trailers to see how many different ways they can remix the main Zelda theme. It's kind of fascinating.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

I can hardly wait to turn the music off most of the time. I can rarely stand rock versions of my favorite tunes. I hope they've included an option to turn off the music, for those times it gets obnoxious.

jakysnakydx

jakysnakydx said:

Anyone else notice at 1:00 when the ad for the game comes up there is a new blue headed girl on the right side? Any ideas who it might be?

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

I've never actually wanted a special edition before. Would buy it just for the extras, the game would be a bonus.

Henmii

Henmii said:

As for the ending of the Fire rod trailer: The Triforce....in your face!!

Marshi

Marshi said:

IF THAT SCARF ISNT WITH THE UK GAME I WILL FLIP OUT! I wants me a Link Scarf!

Shambo

Shambo said:

Treasure... Box... Must get that, puh-leeeeeazzzzz bring it to Europe as well! It'll be cheaper for me, and the money will go to Nintendo, so that's all the sense that needed to be made.