New Online Multiplayer Modes Revealed for Super Smash Bros. on 3DS and Wii U

Posted by Martin Watts

Prepare yourself for a smashing time over the net

The online modes for Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U were finally revealed to the world in Nintendo's recent Super Smash Bros. Direct presentation, and it seems that both inexperienced and competitive players have something to be happy about.

The online portion of the game, which has been confirmed for both versions (though it must be noted that it doesn't include cross-play between 3DS and Wii U), will come in two flavours: "For Fun" and "For Glory".

"For Fun", as you might have guessed, is designed to provide a more laid back Super Smash Bros. experience. In this mode, all stages are picked randomly and all items and power-ups are available. "For Glory" looks like a move on game director Masahiro Sakurai's part to appease more competitive players. Here, only Final Destination and the new Final Destination stage variations (existing stages that have been modified to emulate the basic Final Destination design) are available. Moreover, items and power-ups are nowhere to be found, and even 1 vs 1 battles are possible.

Of course, when playing with friends you can choose whatever settings you like. Sakurai-san has recommended that for the Wii U version at least, players should invest in a Wii U LAN Adaptor or wired connection to ensure the smoothest possible online experience. Let's just hope that the game performs a lot better than its predecessor in this area.

What are your thoughts on the new online modes? Which one do you think you'll be spending most of your time in? Let us know in the comments section below!

Related Games

Kodeen

Kodeen said:

Haven't seen the direct yet, did they touch on matchmaking, to make sure novices aren't regularly murdered by seasoned players?

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

This is just great. I like that in the more competitive For Glory mode that you don't have to be restricted to Final Destination but can play Final Destination layout-like versions of the others stages to freshen up the setting.

That new Final Destination is absolutely beautiful.

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

Wait, so let me get this straight--are the Final Desination looking stages exclusive to online multiplayer, or can you also choose them locally?

nova108

nova108 said:

@Kodeen They said there will be some sort of matchmaking system in place so you can play with people similar to your skill level, but didn't talk about any details. They also announced some kind of ranking system, so I imagine it will have to do with that.

MysteriousZ

MysteriousZ said:

im probably gonna play For Glory since i dont like playing with items and Final Destination is my fav stage

LordFamicom

LordFamicom said:

For Fun and For Glory looks pretty fun! It reminds me of the online modes for Kid Icarus: Uprising.

AkinaChan

AkinaChan said:

I'm happy that online players aren't anonymous anymore :D Now You can tell the seasoned players apart from the novices :3

KamenRiderClive

KamenRiderClive said:

Bah, don't encourage the competitive types. Smash is about adapting to ever-changing conditions, not rigidly playing the same stage as single character until your fingers fall off.

KamenRiderClive

KamenRiderClive said:

@Funny_Moblin It's the principle of the thing.
I have a hard enough time convincing some people to play more than Final Destination, I don't need them whining "But that's how Nintendo says to play it!"

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

@KamenRiderClive I understand. I have one friend who will rage quit if I have items on or I pick a stage that isn't Final Destination. It frustrates the heck out of me, needless to say I don't play with him much now... I pretty much wish they'd leave that in the past, let the tournament players whine with the older games, otherwise, why have Sakurai even bother designing items or stages?

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

I am concerned about them making a point to recommend a wired connection. It goes without saying that wired is always better, but if they take the time to point it out, it makes me feel like the wireless will be too laggy to be playable. Unfortunately, my game systems are not set up where I can hook them up to an ethernet cable. I do have high speed wireless, so hopefully that will be enough...

ekreig

ekreig said:

Definitely going For Fun. Seems like a great way to avoid any Serious Business.

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

@KamenRiderClive I feel ya, I have a friend who is like that. Even though I like both types of gameplay, removing any competitive play will just make our friends won't work. My friend always want to play Melee anyway.

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

Hmm, I'll try for glory but if its as cutthroat as melee than I might have to bust out fox instead of using my mains(sonic,dk, maybe Greninja)

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

Emaan

Emaan said:

The whole part about them recommending better connection options bothers me. They're setting it up like we're probably going to encounter similar lag issues to Brawl- so they're informing us of precautions to take to try to minimize these problems.

That's just what it comes off as to me. I would hope that in the years of experience Nintendo has had with online play now, we can have a relatively smooth online experience with this game. I would expect as much with Mario Kart 8 as well.

Besides all that I like the online setup for the most part. I'm not sure why they force you to only be on final destination for the "For Glory" mode. I'm all for having separate online modes, one for casual fun and one for competitive play, but shouldn't stage selection be up to the players regardless? I don't know it's a minor complaint.

KeatonTS

KeatonTS said:

For glory, I hate it when im playing serious and someone chooses isle delphino of some other interfering stadium..
Final destination is my kind of stage.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Finally, I don't have to play JUST final destination anymore! Though I wish they put in Battlefield in the For Glory mode too, they're going in the right direction. YES.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

I do enjoy my serious Final Destination battles, but a lot of time I feel like shaking it up and nobody is willing to do that. For Fun mode and For Glory mode are brilliant ways to tackle this!

K-Gamer

K-Gamer said:

Love Final Destination, but sometimes I need more variety, so this is excellent!

Senario

Senario said:

As a competitive Melee player I am disappointed with "For Glory" mode. Competitive play is far more than no items and final destination. The stage you pick is very much important and in general the only rule is "No damaging stage hazards".

So things like Fountain of Dreams, Dream Land 64, Battlefield, Pokemon Stadium, and Final Destination are all good. Some characters benefit heavily from Final Destination like Captain Falcon, others benefit heavily from pokemon stadium and fountain of dreams like Marth. And not many people play Fox well enough to win tournaments, you need to be a freaking robot to play Fox that well in melee because he is just the character with the most potential. (as in literally, you need to play almost frame by frame perfect)

In general it just seems too restricting to have final destination only. If they had at least included Battlefield in it then it might have been kinda fine.
P.S. It is hard enough to convince the rest of the Smash fans to not be condescending towards the competitive community, I don't need a somewhat misguided online mode to enforce their dislike. The game should be playable how you want to play it.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Still don't like his whole "maybe this will work" demeanor when it comes to online. He was apologetic about Brawl before it's release too. This is worrisome.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Please tell me we can play random stock online matches this time. Sure, the lag is the biggest problem with Brawl's online, but a close second is how they restrict us to timed matches against random opponents.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

What I don't like about the 2 game modes is that just because I want items doesn't mean I don't want a win/loss ratio. But that's only for the "hardcore" players who like only Final Destination.

R_Champ

R_Champ said:

I like that there are variants of Final Destination. One of my biggest problems with the "FD, No items, Marth/Snake/MK" fetishists was the fact I had to stare at that same background and listen to the same five songs over and over and over! Up until they mentioned the FD variants I was almost ready to stick to For Fun mode entirely.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

Hmm i hope my internet does not lag cause its wireless thats my concern, well i will wait and see.

SecondServing

SecondServing said:

Damn, Nintendo did everything right this Direct. They gave release windows, explained differences, new features, focused a lot on online play, and announced new GOOD characters.

Hype Train is in maximum overdrive. Can't wait to get my filthy hands on this 100% pure gaming experience. Cheers my fellow Nintendo fans.

Ttimer

Ttimer said:

@zoroarkrules25 Yes, in the mode "For Glory" you will be set with people that are around your skill level...... I'm guessing that will also be the case for the "For Fun" mode also.

Ttimer

Ttimer said:

@Emaan They were suggesting... I'm pretty sure that the connection will still be awesome, its just that for some people, their WiFi isn't the best. Like I used to have fast internet but slow WiFi, now I have fast WiFi and fast internet browser by switching to a different company. But I'm pretty sure it won't be laggy like in Brawl, that's one of the things they will be working on for the Wii U version.

Senario

Senario said:

@brandonbwii Well items appear fairly randomly. And when they do they appear pretty much randomly on some place on the stage. In the hands of regular players they are fun but when you get a player who is pro (say in melee for example) it can lead to infinites and downright sillyness for who wins or loses. The less skilled player gets all the items or throws a pokeball and it goes in their favor.

Damaging stage hazards create more of a bit of randomness but also things that really shouldn't happen. Some examples would be losing a stock when you could have recovered from something or getting hit when you really shouldn't have gotten hit. Take Brinstar for example, sometimes there is acid or something at the bottom of the stage that will actually damage you but send you back up. But sometimes it simply isn't there and you die, causing some people to be saved and some to not be saved. Moving stages have their own problem where the person has to MEMORIZE the stage and any possible hazards. Some sections don't even have an edge to grab onto for recovery. Poke floats from melee had this exact problem where NOBODY had memorized the stage and although the pattern was set, a lot of people simply died because of where the pokemon appeared and being unable to grab ledges. Many died because the float disappeared as they were getting back on it.

Some stages are excluded because they have no edges and only has side screen or star KO's. Or weird physics with water.

Granted, a lot of these rules have changed over time. But in general the competitive melee community's rule for stages are "No damaging stage hazards" and "actual platforms so that all forms of KOs are supported".

Stages without damaging hazards tend to be more along the lines of showing who plays the game better because there is minimal interference from any stage sources. Some have a small interference, like Dream Land's wind being a tiny tiny factor in throwing some people off. But dream land has been great for some players taking into account the tiny bit of push the wind gives you. Pokemon Stadium and it's changing stages just make it a very diverse stage.

TL;DR All of this is fairly complicated but at the end of the day...Nobody likes being KO'ed in a competitive match by taking damage from something not done by the opposing player. And nobody likes being put at a disadvantage because their character's main killing moves are fully incompatible with the stage.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Ok I really like the idea of playing this game seriously, but I'm still gonna go for "For Fun" most of the time. A lot of the charm of these games is how wacky things get with items and stage hazards all around, it really leads to unexpected and funny moments.

luke88

luke88 said:

Does anyone know if, when we're playing with strangers, we will have any ability to customise the rules? Specifically will be able to have stock battles with strangers?

luke88

luke88 said:

@SparkOfSpirit that's a good point, unfortunately it's not him I'm doubting but my wii u. I have all sorts of gaming devices that I use roughly the same difference from my router: the wii u is the only one that has any trouble whatsoever connecting to my wi-fi.

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

Glory is only half of the game and lacks the need to adapt for changing situations, which for me is the main point of the Smash as a fighter. I don't like, that there is no full mode, that keeps a record of losses.

Fun for glory!

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

I will be playing both modes! I am happy about the "For Glory" mode, as when I throw Smash Bros tournaments at my house, we love to have our cancellation matches on Final Destination, or a flat level map. This works out well and I am super stoked to try both!

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

No items in "For Glory" mode huh? I guess that's made for all those people whining about having to use items in a game that puts emphasis on using items!!!

What is it going to be next? A Mario Kart game without items? I know! Let's have CoD without perks and kill/point streak items. Just one basic simple weapon and side arm. That should be fun too!

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

@Varoennauraa Exactly! Smash is about chaotic fighting with items in an ever changing arena. To all today people that complaint on Brawl about having items making the game OPed for beginners, they should just go and play on a traditional fighting game like Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter.

I think those people just can't handle being beat by a novice player, lol.

Senario

Senario said:

@Dark-Link73 Well you say that now. But then a pro player plays with items and does really imbalanced combos on you. Or a massively worse player wins because of dumb luck. At least mario kart takes into account that people don't like losing because random blue shell. They do a lot of great item balance and make the stronger things harder to get when you are close to first.

Why shouldn't smash be allowed to have a competitive scene as well? Is there anything inherently wrong with smash that it can't be a party game and competitive? Because last I checked, other fighting games are for fun AND competitive.

Comparing perks and Mario kart items are a pretty bad comparison as they act completely different than smash items. Again, what is your problem with having the game be good for everyone?

MrArcade

MrArcade said:

I'll definitely be spending a lot of time in for fun mode, for glory doesn't seem like my sorta thing.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Are the same online modes confirmed for the 3DS version that are on the Wii U version? With the way Sakurai worded it, it was something like "you can play online with the 3DS too but you will need a stable connection, it separated the statements so it doesn't directly state the 3DS version will have For Fun/For Glory like the Wii U version.

On another note while I highly praise Smash not giving people who want to play Smash competitively the middle finger like Brawl did, Final Destination only is going a bit too far. Most stages that don't have the ability to damage or kill you are typically considered competitively fair by competitive players. I also don't really understand the purpose of hiding your online rank but encouraging people to gloat about their single player rank. I don't care if its visible as long as it works WELL and properly matches people to others of similar skill level, being able to see ranking would just help people see if that's happening. Relatively small complaints in relation to Glory Mode actually existing though.

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

@Senario
"Why shouldn't smash be allowed to have a competitive scene as well?"

Items and levels that require platforming skills are not in stopping Smash from having a competitive scene. Now it's actually the other way around. Now the people who like the whole game, don't get a competitive scene.

Good player wins even with random accidents.

Senario

Senario said:

@Varoennauraa But there is the problem, competitive fighters don't have random elements. You wouldn't go into a street fighter game with a hadouken that wiffs randomly. Or sometimes a power up would appear that restores half your hp and it could be anywhere on the stage.

Sure, the better player may win sometimes but that is only in massive skill disparities. If you were playing somebody who is equally as good as you but they randomly avoided all stage hazards/ got all the items, you would feel cheated out of something you should have won. Similar but not exactly the same as getting hit with a blue shell right before getting to the finish line. That is why mario kart 8 seems to have a lot less blue shells.

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

" but that is only in massive skill disparities"
I don't believe that.

In my experience, somewhat better player wins somewhat worse player with sufficient certainty for tournaments, even with items on and in platforming levels. You need a lot of skill and strategic eye and fast brains to take the most out of the items, and also adapt into random uphill conditions as well as dodge the advantage that the enemy gets. The only problem I see, is having to play, say, two matches on the top of the tournament for making it more certain. At tops. Two absolutely similarly skilled players win each other randomly anyway, items only increase the aspects you have to master.

I don't have problems with having a game mode, that is stripped from random elements. I like that too. I only have problem with not having the glory mode for items and platforming levels as well.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

This reminds me a lot of the Kid Icarus Uprising online, which I found to be very very good (especially on a handheld). Glad to see Sakurai remembering his other baby. I'll dabble around in both modes, but mostly For Fun, for me :)

R_Champ

R_Champ said:

@Senario

I always thought Melee was overrated. Sure, the crisp controls and lack of tripping make it a better competitive title, but the obsessive use of wave dashing, particular characters (Fox), and FD had me going for Brawl every time just because it was more fun/non-restrictive. These new For Fun/For Glory options seem like the best idea yet because it potentially provides both worlds in one package.

Senario

Senario said:

@R_Champ Except that Fox isn't even the most popular or practically best character. If you play the game perfectly frame by frame then he is the best but there are ways to counter him. Other characters like shiek, Jigglypuff, and peach are very popular. Wave dashing is not as prevalent or important as everybody says. It helps a good amount of characters but for others it isn't really that good. Peach might be one of these, Jiggs doesn't really need it either.

And final destination is not the most played stage. It is often a stereotype that we only play there but we play dream land, pokestadium, battlefield, and fountain of dreams. All of which are better or worse for some characters.

Gameday

Gameday said:

The Glory part i have a prob with due to the fact you'll be on a stale over used level. It was great in melee and brawl but now its the only one ? Make some new neutral levels man.. Then they don't record your loses on just for fun ? So there are no custom matches for friends where you don't have the limits of the previous game ? What about saving matches was that mention if so i didn't see it. I like that feature but once again not the limit stuff... That was a big let down.